Nelson Mandela - Dies at 95

David48

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_47918445_009337457-1.jpg

Says it all...

Well put Folium, thepicture was a great and memorable moment for thousands of South Africans. Francois was a pretty good spokesman as well!1

RIP Madiba, it's a pity you werent so much younger and still in charge of the rainbow nation......

I told my wife Thai wife Nelson Mandela had passed away. Blank look in return. She has no idea who he is or what he achieved. TiT

Your experience is not an isolated one.

Maybe 12 months or ago, I was chatting with the Lassie and I mentioned Nelson Mandela in passing ... I also got the blank look.

Then I took the time to explain, found him on Wiki, found the Thai version and now (hopefully) she is the wiser.

This is the link to Thai ... HERE

The Full Nelson !

I trust the local statesmen can be inspired to forgive and reconcile.

I wonder how many 21st century figures will equal his stature appreciation.

Dwarves see difference the magnanimous reach out and compromise.

Farewell Madiba we'll seldom see your like again.

South Africa still has poverty but an individuals opportunity is not blighted by skin at birth.

A Royal born in a hut,a prisoner,a lawyer,Nobel prize sharer with deKlerk his old adversary enabled by USA and Pik Botha.Rather than revenge his way was modest.

He stood down undefeated after one term setting an examle for peaceful transitions

A great man, he showed that retribution was not the answer.

More important he was the figurehead for many who were tortured and incarcerated for speaking out against the injustice of apartheid, many were never to live long enough to see liberation.

RIP Nelson, I salute you.

I told my wife Thai wife Nelson Mandela had passed away. Blank look in return. She has no idea who he is or what he achieved. TiT

Ditto mine was the same and had never heard of him. Thailand is really isolated if people haven't heard of the great man.

• Like 2

I have often thought that those years in prison and the isolation, made him appreciate many of the things that the rest of us overlook. He seemed to appreciate other people -- in the way that a person who had experienced isolation would simply enjoy seeing and talking to another person, even if it was somebody that most of us would not. I think the boredom gave him a special appreciation and happiness about some of the more mundane things that go with fame.

In the stream of life, some rocks get worn down and some get polished. He definitely got polished and he shone brightly with time.

• Like 1

I have often thought that those years in prison and the isolation, made him appreciate many of the things that the rest of us overlook. He seemed to appreciate other people -- in the way that a person who had experienced isolation would simply enjoy seeing and talking to another person, even if it was somebody that most of us would not. I think the boredom gave him a special appreciation and happiness about some of the more mundane things that go with fame.

In the stream of life, some rocks get worn down and some get polished. He definitely got polished and he shone brightly with time.

Very nicely put.The quality I most honour was his magnanimity and his generous spiritedness - something he shared with Winston Churchill.He was able to relate as a human even to those who kept him captive.It is no coincidence that his white Afrikaaner prison guards revered him.

He had a lot that both sides in Thailand could learn from - but that discussion is for another day.

• Like 1