Elderly German tourist assaulted by Thai man in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst there are no doubt many violent characters in that lovely city, I do not buy the fact that he was just walking along, minding his own business, and suddenly gets attacked out of nowhere.

Unrelated: I think at age 54 it is time to hang up the wife-beater.

It happens, and more frequently than you imagine. More often than not it's drug-related - a man wired on ya ba for several days loses most of his perspective and can easily become paranoid. Neither is it a recent phenomenon: I was threatened for no apparent reason by a tuk-tuk driver wielding a four-by-four twenty-five years ago. He was restrained by other drivers.

And what's wrong with the wife-beater? Some apparel just never goes out of fashion.

And what's wrong with the green wife-beater? Some apparel just never goes out of fashion.

Unfortunatelly. Leggings came back, baggy jeans, tatoos, socks & sandals and more such eye sores.

At least when the Thai wakes up today with little recolection of what he did last night he has a clear picture of the guy he probably wouldn't have remembered without this news feed so he can hunt him down again.

I am guilty that once in a blue moon my partying with my friends have ended at the late "am" hours however when it's all said and done, a NORMAL person would hire a taxi or motorbike taxi and simply head home. To wonder down beach rd at this hour is just asking for it and makes one think that he was not just looking for another beer. Also I just don't believe an attack without provocation (did I spell that right)?

As per my reply (above) to someone else about being on the end of an unprovoked attack. Believe me it is not an uncommon event in any country and I can assure you, you would not be making such a stupid comment had you ever been on the receiving end of some drunken moron, who's just looking to hurt someone for fun.

Maybe it wasn't a fun attack. The attacker might have wanted to rob the hansum tourist at 3.30 a.m.

Fortunatelly the tourist fought back and was able to get away with some bruises. A good lesson for him, maybe...

54, elderly??

3.30 am, walking leisurely??

attacked for no apparent reason??

Whether it is the reporter or the German's account, this story has more holes in it than Angeles City.

That is exactly what I think.

And I have no problem with wifebeaters per se but a) the guy was not on the beach per se and B) like Crocs they should not be worn by anyone over say 21.

Whilst there are no doubt many violent characters in that lovely city, I do not buy the fact that he was just walking along, minding his own business, and suddenly gets attacked out of nowhere.

And what's wrong with the wife-beater? Some apparel just never goes out of fashion.

Everything is wrong with a "wife beater"! A totally classless item of clothing normally referred to as a vest, and worn under a shirt.

I do not buy the fact that he was just walking along, minding his own business, and suddenly gets attacked out of nowhere.

Why not?...you never heard of MUGGING. It happened to me a few years ago as I was minding my own business, just about to get on my parked motorbike outside a friends apartment building in a quiet soi of Pattaya when I was attacked out of nowhere, knocked unconscious and robbed. Hanno...Your comment is utterly stupid.

I hope the gentleman recovers from this attack speedily and that the perp is caught and dealt with.

Keesters - possibly a violent "dog-animal" supporter?aggressive.gif The robbing was a disguise. wink1.gif

I do not buy the fact that he was just walking along, minding his own business, and suddenly gets attacked out of nowhere.

Why not?...you never heard of MUGGING. It happened to me a few years ago as I was minding my own business, just about to get on my parked motorbike outside a friends apartment building in a quiet soi of Pattaya when I was attacked out of nowhere, knocked unconscious and robbed. Hanno...Your comment is utterly stupid.

I hope the gentleman recovers from this attack speedily and that the perp is caught and dealt with.

No need to get personal Keesters, nowhere did I mention your, or any other person's mental capabilities.

I have been working in tourism for 30 years and many of the so-called unprovoked attacks (or thefts or muggings) I have had to deal with turned out to have a little more to it than what was first said. I am not saying this is the case here, just a possibilty. So again, no reason to call me stupid. But then I see from other posts that you have a habit of telling people whether their posts are warranted or stupid.

Not your typical Pattaya "tourist" judging by his appearance. Hope he gets over his pains and they nail the assailant.

That shirt's pretty offensive in itself, but I gotta tell you I can't count the number of times I see sweaty tourists in those shirts on the Skytrain clinging firmly to the hand strap and modeling their under arm bush for the world to see and.... smell. xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.Fhb0_rLJqX.webp

Never noticed any "Underarm Smell" type problems on the Skytrain, but hey, ever travelled the Tube in London, even in the colder months?

Unprovoked attacks occur worldwide and do not require purchase by any reader. As for his apparel, while I don't own the type "shirt" he is wearing, it is a matter of choice and the freedom to do so.

Is that a lit area of beach at night? Gotta be careful.

Yes it's well lit, and in the day and evening it's quite a busy tourist area. But at 3:30am all the restaurants are closed and is usually populated by ladyboys, ladies of the night, and their prospective customers. It's also a popular place for Thais to hang out a bit further south, blast music from their trucks and generally party. There are also a few resident Thais (and a few Westerners) who seem to live on the beach as down and outs in that area around Soi 2 - Chang is the basic diet.

Cannot draw any conclusions as to why he got assaulted, but I would be reluctant to walk that area anything past 1:00am when it starts to quiet down. Even riding a bike you risk ladyboys actually following you on their bikes and doing the "I go with you" pickup line.

I think we both know what is going on here and it ain't pretty. Older bloke, pissed maybe, looking for love. Or an older paedophile looking for love. Either way a smack in the mouth could be justified. No need to be there ...plenty of talent on show earlier in the evening. Could an WOULD happen in most places worldwide. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson. Doubtful though as he has whinged to the cops.

Marlin Brando ... Cat on a hot tin roof.

Sorry to break it to you but Americans have a culture.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am sure they do but wife beating seems a little nasty.
The garment is associated with lower class men there, fairly or not. Such men more likely to be violent.

so can it also be called a Fag basher??? Just askinggiggle.gif

Yes it's well lit, and in the day and evening it's quite a busy tourist area. But at 3:30am all the restaurants are closed and is usually populated by ladyboys, ladies of the night, and their prospective customers. It's also a popular place for Thais to hang out a bit further south, blast music from their trucks and generally party. There are also a few resident Thais (and a few Westerners) who seem to live on the beach as down and outs in that area around Soi 2 - Chang is the basic diet.

Cannot draw any conclusions as to why he got assaulted, but I would be reluctant to walk that area anything past 1:00am when it starts to quiet down. Even riding a bike you risk ladyboys actually following you on their bikes and doing the "I go with you" pickup line.

I think we both know what is going on here and it ain't pretty. Older bloke, pissed maybe, looking for love. Or an older paedophile looking for love. Either way a smack in the mouth could be justified. No need to be there ...plenty of talent on show earlier in the evening. Could an WOULD happen in most places worldwide. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson. Doubtful though as he has whinged to the cops.

Lot's of assumption there, not wise with the chance that you may be totally wrong!

• Like 1

Lot's of assumption there, not wise with the chance that you may be totally wrong!

Agree totally

Marlin Brando ... Cat on a hot tin roof.

Sorry to break it to you but Americans have a culture.

I am sure they do but wife beating seems a little nasty.
The garment is associated with lower class men there, fairly or not. Such men more likely to be violent.

so can it also be called a Fag basher??? Just askinggiggle.gif

It could be but it isn't. STELLA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-37101-0-71348200-1386323703_thumb.jpost-37101-0-15444100-1386323819_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

First time in 34 years I have heard it called a lovely city..........You might want to go there and have a look round.whistling.gif

fred

Is this Marlon Brando chappy any relation to the aforementioned Marlin and Martin Brando?

In the UK, half a cider and half a strong lager mixed in a pint glass is known as a 'wife beater'. Apparently it's quite powerful, never tried one myself, not brave enough!

This is exactly why thailand needs the 500 baht fee to enter the country tongue.png

do you suggest he should have paid an extra 500 Baht for the dubious priviledge of being assaulted ?

Well yes, with tourism numbers down because of the political violence and unrest there isn't enough tourists to go around for a mugging. Thailand is down around 25 billion so the money has to be retrieved from tourists somehow. Work for muggers is scarce.

• Like 1

Well it's been happening in USA for some time now and is referred to as a gameblink.png . Let's hope the Thai teenagers don't get any ideasermm.gif

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deadly-knockout-game-what-it-is/

A bit different though; the "game" is to punch someone out cold with a single blow. This was obviously not the case here.

I wasn't referring to the difference in nature of the attack, I was responding to the suggestion that it's impossible to believe that people carry out totally random attacks without any apparent motive?

I'll have to disagree with this as I was once sitting on a bench when a youngish guy looked at me, walked about 15 feet then turned towards me not looking very happy with both fists cleched. I then heard another guy that was just walking by that angrily said something to him in Thai, he stopped looked at him then walked away. Who knows what that nutter was going to do.

That's proof that this does just happen.

I have been in Thailand since the late 80s. You never heard of this sort of this many years ago. Is this a question of more attacks like this happening or it it "better" reporting?

I wonder?