Using the wrong gear: Car falls off building in Nonthaburi

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you actually let a 70 year age plus old couple, who are very prone to mental lapsis, drive by themselves, especially when the brain doesn't function so well any more at this age...

What great means of deduction did you use to make this ridiculous assumption and irrational comment - evidently you had a mental lapse that caused your brain to not function so well at your age?w00t.gif Do you know these unfortunate people? Nothing in the article even hints at age being the cause? I can tell you, for a fact, that you are growing in their direction.clap2.gif

As you are/so were we. As we are/so will you be. ( Paraphrased - forgot the poet, so I hope I'm not copyright infringing). coffee1.gif

• Like 2

How can you actually let a 70 year age plus old couple, who are very prone to mental lapsis, drive by themselves, especially when the brain doesn't function so well any more at this age...

My friend is 94 and he has just given his licence up and gone into a facility with his 89 year old wife.

Lets give it a rest. I can almost remember thinking 30 was like one foot out of the grave too. I think I could spell lapses right then though. It's all relative.

• Like 1

Ouch !! However it's very hard to describe this accident site as a "crime scene"

It is a crime scene in several possible ways:

1) Its a crime to let some people continue to drive without proper tests at the later years of life as they do in most other countries. w00t.gif

2) Its a crime that the steel barrier was unable to stop a car as it should have due to poor design or fabrication. w00t.gif

3) Its a crime as the Thais will probably try to blame the car so that the dear old couple don't loose face. w00t.gif

trick question, what kind of "safety barrier" would be that weak that a car could drive thru it?

This is probably where the real criminal issue lies, an installation that does not pass any safety standard.

Striking that the hospital immediately announced that its insurance will cover for this...

The car didn't "fall off the building", it was driven off the building. Similar stories (of car accidents) say "the vehicle went out of control". No it didn't. The driver lost control of the car...

I know there are such things as robotic cars, but not in Thailand AFAIK.

Still, I suppose "car falls off building" sounds much more sensational, and why let truth get in the way?

• Like 1

The car didn't "fall off the building", it was driven off the building. Similar stories (of car accidents) say "the vehicle went out of control". No it didn't. The driver lost control of the car...

Still, I suppose "car falls off building" sounds much more sensational, and why let truth get in the way?

The real headline should be:

Safety barrier fails (to stop car being driven off) at third floor multi-story car park

Edited by Morakot

"At the crime scene he found that on the third floor P3A of the car park the steel fence that is used to prevent cars and people from falling off the floor was all torn and damaged."

So, it's a crime not to know how to drive or to be impaired while driving. How come it is only considered a crime AFTER a crash? One, with common sense, would think that enforcing traffic laws and requiring adequate drivers' tests would go a long way to preventing "crime" and saving thousands of lives every year.

...probably because of the possible insurance claims....and who is going to pay....

I doubt the "couple" were driving. Probably just one of them.

While I agree driving at that age is nearly as dangerous as allowing teenagers, middle-aged drunks, cowboys and texting yahoos behind the wheel, I think the problem is more to do with reaction times and vision issues rather than brain function.

If we were to require active evidence of intelligence to be a barrier to getting a driver's license, Toyota, Honda, BMW and Mercedes would go bankrupt.

distracted-driving1.jpg

As I am over 70 I will say your post is pure bull***t !

• Like 1

The real headline should be:

Safety barrier fails (to stop car being driven off) at third floor multi-story car park

Maxlee/ poster earlier. His/her version of how this happened. ( a senile very old couple who should not be driving at that age chose the wrong gear stupidly and reversed through the safety barrier, which failed.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

For the same reason you are allowed to write in this forum. It's called individual freedom. There are dozens of other kind of people participating on the road I consider far more dangerous as old folks.

• Like 1

Well, I am in my mid 60's and no where near senile and I still drive. My mother just had her 90th birthday, and she is still driving, plus she is plenty mentally spry.

I am guessing you are very young and have no clue.

On another note... You don't just 'bump' into one of those guard rails and have them give way (at least I hope not), so they must have been moving at a reasonable speed.

• Like 1

Well, I am in my mid 60's and no where near senile and I still drive. My mother just had her 90th birthday, and she is still driving, plus she is plenty mentally spry.

I am guessing you are very young and have no clue.

On another note... You don't just 'bump' into one of those guard rails and have them give way (at least I hope not), so they must have been moving at a reasonable speed.

Forgetting the age bit for a minute, I do agree with you, If parked with say your back bumper near to the barrier I cannot see how just the reverse momentum would have carried them trough.

Only 2 ways, the barrier was made of very flimsy material, OR the couple were on the opposite side nose in to the opposite barrier and came like a bat in hell across the level at a bit of speed backwards to smash through.

Looking at the photo of damage on the 3rd floor barrier, just in normal reverse backed up to near the barrier ??? near impossible. A reverse run at it has to be the cause.

My friends grandfather is 97 and just got an other license extension for 3 more years. Recently, my friend found a empty condom packaging in grandfathers new Mercedes AMG while cleaning it. Some guys are just healthier than others...

Speak for yourself young man!

Memory lapse has nothing to do with flooring the accelerator when you're negotiating a car park or using the wrong gear.

And .....! they didn't have to pay any parking fees either !!! The lengths some will go to to save a few Baht !

At the crime scene he found that on the third floor P3A of the car park the steel fence that is used to prevent cars and people from falling off the floor was all torn and damaged.

Two 80 year olds and they have an accident at a hospital. There is a god.

Please remember to come back to TV if you make it to 70 and say the same thing.

we let 'em post on Thai Visa why not thumbsup.gif

Hey hold on there you young whippersnapper I am not prone to mental lapses, it's your brain that isn't functioning that well.

Because some elderly get prone to many things-so do younger people, I would rather sit in a car with an experienced person-elderly-than a whiz kid like you.

I drive my car and motor bike everyday and do not have as many problems as young know it all who have no regard for other users.

For your comment on us 70+ I challenge you to 3 rounds in the ring any time.cheesy.gif but your post stinksbah.gif

say that againthumbsup.gif

Like a 34 year old who has never made an error at the wheel of a car?

the fences are near on useless. whether it's the materials of the fence or the fixings, none of them take much to let a vehicle through.

in a building i worked in Chatuchuk, a woman drove right through a concrete barrier and died when the car flipped, that was from the 5th floor. she landed on the roof. i can understand a 70 something year old getting confused but this poor girl was in her 30's and worked for a car company.

the concrete barrier there was built with the usual reinforcement and connected to the floor slab with the same re-bar - about 6mm or so. not much to resist a 1t + moving mass.

Eerrmmm...don't think the fence is the issue here.

Lucky no one was walking underneath on the ground floor.

There might have been, they haven't looked under the car yet. In fact they only just spotted the car below the crime scene smile.png

Ha Ha, could be a Honda Brio--or a security whistle blower underneath.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I go with the whistle blowing security guard, noise pollution at its worst. whistling.gif

I am with MMARLOW on this.

Myself being 80++ year old. Have no difficulty passing a mandatory "Properly Supervised" annual driving test to retain my Unrestricted Australian Driving Licence. From my experience here I am doubtfull if many local 20/30 year old drivers would get a pass mark.

For those interested I did not pay any Baht nor AUD as is common here when applying for a driving licence.

Do you mean you are with marlow, who pinched my post. #13 instead of agreeing or earlier reading. If I see a post that I was going to post the same I agree with them rather than do a same same postwai2.gif

or if you see a post..then post a previous post..then hit the post and fall off a car park...

Now I'm confused

Whose post did they hit? And who was driving...the dentist?

the fences are near on useless. whether it's the materials of the fence or the fixings, none of them take much to let a vehicle through.

in a building i worked in Chatuchuk, a woman drove right through a concrete barrier and died when the car flipped, that was from the 5th floor. she landed on the roof. i can understand a 70 something year old getting confused but this poor girl was in her 30's and worked for a car company.

the concrete barrier there was built with the usual reinforcement and connected to the floor slab with the same re-bar - about 6mm or so. not much to resist a 1t + moving mass.

Eerrmmm...don't think the fence is the issue here.

Eerrmmm...maybe if there was a proper crash barrier the car would not have gone over the side!

Edited by ggold