Bad, Bad Drivers: Who's to Blame for Bangkok's Traffic Problems?

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is totally wrong. it's not lack of responsibility from the drivers. It's lack of responsibility from the government and the traffic authorities, as the police.

He's wrong it is not all " It’s all down to a lack of responsibility and discipline from drivers" and I believe so are you.The primary problem is the bad design of the majority of road junctions, cars entering and exiting at the same time as an example.

Then there is the road design vis a vis the type of vehicle . Like giant pickups that take up 4 lanes to do a simple U turn. Like Borris and his SUV's in London I think giant pickups should be banned from the centre of bangkok, unless on course they are business vehicles with green plates..

OR non phased lights at junction close together. Sure most drivers here are selfish but that tends to happen in most places. There are some bad habits like stopping on yellow cross hatched junctions, trucks trying to drive into congested streets and blocking the junction but driving every day I still think road design at junctions is number one.

Yes in Bangkok BMTA should take over traffic management and re-instigate the computer traffic control that the police never used but even so.

Giving away 1 million eco cars didn't help! As 90% of them seem to be here!

I do not see any behaviour exhibited by drivers in particular that I do not see walking down the street.

• Like 2

In general, Thai drivers are well behaved, the biggest issue I encounter time and time again

and again are people making a right hand turns in to driveway, parking, business and into

very small sois trying to sneak in on an oncoming a torrent of traffic, blocking all the

traffic behind them, ban all right hand turns unless it's a proper intersection or a controlled

traffic flows....

• Like 2

One idea might be to prohibit parents to show off their Benz, BMW, or Volvo by bringing the kids to school and pick them up with the priviate car. This adds thousands of cars twice a day. And the poor kids got no feet to walk, so the cars have to park two hours before school ands at the location nearest to the exit, engine running to keep the aircon on. What a nonsense! dry.png

• Like 2

One of the main problem is the police playing with traffic lights without coordination, it should be automatic.

I do agree....... whenever I am in a long tailback it is generally behind a junction where the lights are under police control. They seem to leave them for an extremely long time before changing, a single direction being held open for one or 2 stragglers while 3 others just wait, not very efficient. I have seen them pull a bike over and forget all about the lights!

• Like 2

He is totally wrong. it's not lack of responsibility from the drivers. It's lack of responsibility from the government and the traffic authorities, as the police.

He's wrong it is not all " It’s all down to a lack of responsibility and discipline from drivers" and I believe so are you.The primary problem is the bad design of the majority of road junctions, cars entering and exiting at the same time as an example.

Then there is the road design vis a vis the type of vehicle . Like giant pickups that take up 4 lanes to do a simple U turn. Like Borris and his SUV's in London I think giant pickups should be banned from the centre of bangkok, unless on course they are business vehicles with green plates..

OR non phased lights at junction close together. Sure most drivers here are selfish but that tends to happen in most places. There are some bad habits like stopping on yellow cross hatched junctions, trucks trying to drive into congested streets and blocking the junction but driving every day I still think road design at junctions is number one.

Yes in Bangkok BMTA should take over traffic management and re-instigate the computer traffic control that the police never used but even so.

Giving away 1 million eco cars didn't help! As 90% of them seem to be here!

I do not see any behaviour exhibited by drivers in particular that I do not see walking down the street.

One can only hope that your post was either sarcastic or meant to be funny. We all laughed at it here. 'Bad design of the majority of road junctions' scored the highest and most vocal approbation.

One of the main problem is the police playing with traffic lights without coordination, it should be automatic.

A few years back I read an article on BKK-GOV employing a British team to come sort out the traffic light situation, to automate the bloody thing.

The story ended something like this:

"Hey, we are not paying the final bill, it doesn't work!"

"Excuse me? We left a skeleton crew behind for a few months to monitor performance of what we implemented, and almost all of the status entries I read stated that those bloated little fellas in brown uniforms had overridden the computers, at the most crucial times..."

"That is wrong, they are under instruction not to operate the lights manually..."

Whatta place

xpo1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RUniiuPu-D.jpg

Look into my eyes......not around the eyes.................look into my eyes............you are getting very sleepy...........now listen carefully.......there are no traffic problems in Bangkok............policemen are your friends...............policemen are public servants..........from now on when you are stopped by a traffic officer you will think the 1000 baht note in your wallet is your driving license................OK. 3, 2, 1 you're back in the room."

That is the funniest thing i have read on TV ever!!

• Like 2

Making the road traffic flow -- which is the issue here -- has almost nothing to do with what the police say or do, even if they are effectively in charge of that matter in Bangkok. The only thing that will make Bangkok's roads efficient is a total and comprehensive transportation plan for the city. That is how it works in London or Paris or New York, where getting around the city is relatively easy due to the massive provision of modern public transport in the forms of buses, subways and suburban trains and the limitation of road traffic by various measures.

In cities that are efficiently run, the police are merely enforcers of what the city planning authorities and politicians have planned and decided. But that kind of situation will never ever occur in Bangkok, therefore things will only get worse. It's third world incompetence, Thai-style.