Charting software for stocks

NinjaTrader is by far the best charting platform out there, and it's completely free as long as you don't use it to submit orders to your broker.

Their customer service is top notch (often replying to emails and forum posts within the hour at anytime of day or night) and it works with lots of different data feeds.

It will take some time setting up and getting used, but getting through the learning curve is definitely worth it. Once you know the basics you can look into backtesting or coding your own ideas.

One of the websites I use is investing.com

http://www.investing.com/indices/uk-100-technical

It covers UK stocks, US stocks, some Aus stocks and some Singapore, which are my main interests for individual stocks. Though US and UK have much better coverage than Aus and Singapore.

You can build your own portfolios and also use it for currencies and XAU/XAG etc. I like it as its free and covers basic charting, technical analysis, indicators etc, as well as current prices - no 15 mins delay like Bloomberg. Pricing is not 100%, but pretty close to when I actually trade. Plus its free.

Hargreaves Lansdown have also recently put quite a bit of effort into their charting software. I gave feedback at the piloting stage and they have most of what I want. Example below

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/o/old-mutual-plc-ord-11-37p/share-charts

I've been a client of there's for 20 years+, and they are my all round favourite UK investment platform for pensions, ISAs, share dealing etc.

They have a lot of good free stuff on their website. Very easily links into dealing too. More perhaps for investing than day trading. The prices shown initially are delayed, but if you are logged into your account and click deal, you then get a real time price on that particular share with 15 secs to accept or cancel

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 2

NinjaTrader is by far the best charting platform out there, and it's completely free as long as you don't use it to submit orders to your broker.

Their customer service is top notch (often replying to emails and forum posts within the hour at anytime of day or night) and it works with lots of different data feeds.

It will take some time setting up and getting used, but getting through the learning curve is definitely worth it. Once you know the basics you can look into backtesting or coding your own ideas.

Well, Downloaded the Ninjatrader platform and it's not really very useful for UK stocks. More geared towards US exchanges - the ftse doesn't even appear in their list of charts or instruments. Which is surprising as the LSE is one of the most heavily traded exchanges in the world. Looked on their forums and their are a lot of threads about the UK issues. Their are workarounds but honestly, I really can't be bothered working around the issue by plugging in feeds and learning their terminology - really want a plug and go type interface. Something like MT4 but for stocks would be ideal.

Thanks for the recommendation - just not for me.

I hear you. Like I said it does have a large learning curve, and depending what you want out of your charting program it may not be worth the effort.

All you have to do is create your own instrument list and map the symbols to whatever your data provider uses. Wouldn't take too long once you're familar with it.

If you just want to look at charts in single time frames, use out of the box indicators, and not run any code, then a web based platform is probably what you're looking for.

For me, I download end-of-day data for thousands of stocks every day, put that through custom code, indicators, and filters, and display the signals in 3 different time frames, all automatically. Backtests and optimizations are also top-notch. For that kind of work there isn't a better platform around.

• Like 1

Also, you might want to check out VectorVest. It's got decent charts and is user-friendly, and they have a UK platform.

The downside is it costs money even for a trial, but it is a good platform.

I liked the look of the VectorVest, until I read the small print.

Their real-time and intra-day (15 min delay) charts are only available for US and Canadian platforms - bummer. But the best so far in terms of operation and detail.