wont give change what would you have done

salavan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you will find a number of posters have been assaulted for 10 baht. I know I have.

I never did and I had some confrontation that all were resolved pacifically. Surprise to you the average Thai has a good sense of what is right and what is wrong, nicking change falls in the latter category. Recommed you man up or choose a nanny country to live in.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk

It was the "man up" that got me and at least one other poster assaulted.

I gave a tuk tuk driver a 20 baht note (10 baht ride) and he with a big smile held up the 20 baht note and told me, "no change." I grabbed the note and said, "som nom na (serves you right)" and ran off. He followed and threw a tire iron at me. Another poster when asked for 20 baht gave the driver 10 and walked away and the driver followed and punched him. Maybe you better hang around Thailand a bit before telling people to man up.

Grabbing 20b and high tailing it outa there...that'd be a sight and talk about manning up...cheesy.gif

When I was a young man of 60 I had a lot to learn in Thailand. Now that I'm approaching middle age at 70 I would never do anything dangerous for 10 baht.

Then I apologise for making statements that may not apply to everyone and I hope you will have no further annoyances during your stay while being respected for your age as it is just right and customary in Thailand or elsewhere. Edited by paz

I gave a tuk tuk driver a 20 baht note (10 baht ride) and he with a big smile held up the 20 baht note and told me, "no change." I grabbed the note and said, "som nom na (serves you right)" and ran off. He followed and threw a tire iron at me. Another poster when asked for 20 baht gave the driver 10 and walked away and the driver followed and punched him. Maybe you better hang around Thailand a bit before telling people to man up.

I've hung around Thailand long enough and while I'm not sure a 10 baht tuk-tuk ride even exists, if it does and you ran away because your driver didn't have change for a 20 baht note, frankly you deserved a slap.

Neither example required you or the other poster to man up.

Only to pay up.

I would just like to say my wife bought an item .from a shop and when she got home the item was incorrect what i needed for my job.we took it back and they refused to give me my money back.only offered to exchange it for a more pricey model .i said its not what i wanted can i have my money back. she said no .i got a bit ratty and another man a thai customer told me its the Thai way you buy you cant bring back.i said thats no way to run a bussiness .the shop owner didt like the costomer interfering and gave me my money back .

But it seems to me you have to check you items and make sure they work before you leave the shop as the man said its the Thai way No returns

I would just like to say my wife bought an item .from a shop and when she got home the item was incorrect what i needed for my job.we took it back and they refused to give me my money back.only offered to exchange it for a more pricey model .i said its not what i wanted can i have my money back. she said no .i got a bit ratty and another man a thai customer told me its the Thai way you buy you cant bring back.i said thats no way to run a bussiness .the shop owner didt like the costomer interfering and gave me my money back .

But it seems to me you have to check you items and make sure they work before you leave the shop as the man said its the Thai way No returns

Same as in my g7 member country, no cash refunds. Exception, large dept stores, as it is the case here too. But that is not the topic of the thread. Edited by paz

It happens sometime the vendors forget to give the customers back their change, but when the customers ask for change back, they would gladly give it back to them. I would have done the exact same thing as you did to ask for the change back. I don't know what else you can do. The change is so small that is not worth to go to trouble. Next time don't go back and buy anything from this lady again. I had similar situation but mine was only $0.20, so I did not ask for it. Although, I left feeling like being cheated.

Never had this problem in Thailand but when traveling in Bulgaria it was common. Every shop I went into seemed to pull this scam.

I started picking up the most expensive thing I could find in the shop, usually suncream, and going to walk out with it....change was soon found.

Yes, that is how Thais do their bussiness. They do not have the return policy but they do have the exchange policy and you have to ask for it.

And everybody believes that it's possible that someone doesn't give change ? Rudiculous !

Have seen so many time, no change, it's a trick for tourist, BE CAREFUL.

I feel ashame as I am a thai too. When I saw this...cheating tourist. And dont give the big banknote, try to change to small one. Or give the banana back and dont buy it. For example, you give her 100 bt note , she might said u gave her 20 bt note..etc...sorry for that....

• Like 1

this is Thailand, so if you want to get even with that 50 baht scammer, just wait till she leaves and then follow her and wait in a dark area where she passes and then stab her neck with an "ICE PICK" so that will be a clean job..... and that's all! so you're even.. coffee1.gif ... You're Welcome don't mention it... always don't forget to look to the left and right before doing your magic act.

LikeThaitoo. The other poster got what he deserved. When I was a Taxi driver in Scotland, one chap said to me at the end of the journey, "I have no money, I cannot pay you" I punched him hard on the face, walked away and left him lying there.

I've hung around Thailand long enough and while I'm not sure a 10 baht tuk-tuk ride even exists, if it does and you ran away because your driver didn't have change for a 20 baht note, frankly you deserved a slap.

Neither example required you or the other poster to man up.

Only to pay up.

Sorry I meant to say song tau and wrote tuk tuk. Those things happen when you get old. Every place in town is a 10 baht ride. The driver has a pocket full of 10 baht coins. I did notice there was no license posted in the back of the song tau. Since then I never ride in a song tau with no posted license. Now I wouldn't do it. But the driver deserved it. He held up the 20 baht note and taunted me with a large crocodile smile and said, NO CHANGE. He was trying to show dominance. I have the biggest dog on the soi. When we go for a walk the other dogs sulk around with tails between their legs or run away. If not she scares them into subservience. That's what the driver was trying to do with me. It wasn't about money. It was about power. He was going to show me real Thai power. So F em.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I actually find this hard to believe . Have been living in Thailand over a year now first in BKK now on Koh Chang and have always shopped at local markets rather then tesco,big c ect and never once had a problem . In fact I have found that I would get discounts quite often but I love to joke and have fun and try to mix with the locals . It all comes down to attitude if you smile and are happy 99 times out of 100 you get a smile back .

The answer is simple. Next time you shop for bananas, plan to have 29 baht instead of 50. The price is 30, right? If you go to the market right before they open (early I know) or right before they close....they will be happy to take the 29 baht. You do that for 30 weeks, and you save 30 baht. This should equalize that feeling of being ripped off. Everyone should be very happy as the first sale of the day is considered good luck...and the last sale of the day is more like they just need to get rid of the excess bananas as they may not be able to sell them the next day.

This goes for anything in the market. You can always shrug and say...thats all I have...they will normally be very happy to give you a wee discount if you smile and shrug.... If they refuse your 29 baht, they just walk to the next vendor. Always go to a market where there is competition. Keep 20, baht notes and nine one baht coins.

A good tactic is to wait until the vendor is serving two or more customers, and then wave your bananas around. She will weigh them and then count out one baht coins very slowly and look at each coin like you are confused. The other customers will get impatient and the vendor will just accept the one baht loss as you search all your pockets for that right change.

Shopping is fun. Psychology is even more fun. Put the two together. If you are a man with no hobbies, this is sort of like collecting coupons and then going through hundreds of them at the grocery store while everyone behind you gets frustrated. You save a few coins, but feel like a winner every time!

Enjoy.

What you should have done, return the bananas and got your 50 Baht back, few countries have a law which states that retailers must give change.

What to do now? As JT says never buy from her again.

this is what should be done,

personally, i would be yelling "go-hot" at the top of my lungs while pointing at her. the 30 baht would be worth making her lose face to me but not to her after everyone around started looking. after i made a bit of a scene I would then most likely walk away never to return. then again, i can be hot tempered tongue.png

What you should have done, return the bananas and got your 50 Baht back, few countries have a law which states that retailers must give change.

What to do now? As JT says never buy from her again.

this is what should be done,

personally, i would be yelling "go-hot" at the top of my lungs while pointing at her. the 30 baht would be worth making her lose face to me but not to her after everyone around started looking. after i made a bit of a scene I would then most likely walk away never to return. then again, i can be hot tempered tongue.png

....and scary.

One bad experience with a local vendor at a night market. I was buying a bottle of sauce that was .65 baht. I only had a 1,000 baht note so I gave it too him expecting proper change.

He gave me back change for a 100 baht note. I looked at him and said In Thai this is wrong . I gave you a 1,000 baht note. He said NO 100. I said I will cause you big trouble if you don't give me the change back in Thai.

Once he realized I was not a tourist but a local who can speak Thai he just gave me the rest of the change .

That however showed me that I should be very careful and make sure I only have small bills for a local market

Edited by realenglish1

One bad experience with a local vendor at a night market. I was buying a bottle of sauce that was .65 baht. I only had a 1,000 baht note so I gave it too him expecting proper change.

He gave me back change for a 100 baht note. I looked at him and said In Thai this is wrong . I gave you a 1,000 baht note. He said NO 100. I said I will cause you big trouble if you don't give me the change back in Thai.

Once he realized I was not a tourist but a local who can speak Thai he just gave me the rest of the change .

That however showed me that I should be very careful and make sure I only have small bills for a local market

That wouldn't have happened if you had called out the bill amount and made sure he acknowledged it in some way, even just with the eyes.

I reallly think there is more to this banana story that meets the eye.

Yeah, blame the victim. Probably didn't say khrap or something, natch!

I agree OF COURSE that not all Thais are thugs, but banana lady for sure as hell ain't Miss Manners.

Agreed, why is there always more to the story? Some times it is simple- some Thais do wrong.

I don't agree with the vendor's behavior but I understand why she did it- easy money and even many foreigners would defend her.