Irishman hit by Coach at Northern entrance to Walking Street, South Pattaya

webfact

Irishman hit by Coach at Northern entrance to Walking Street, South Pattaya

ireland-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 41 year old Irish National sustained serious injuries to both of his legs in the early hours of Saturday after he was struck and then run over by a Coach carrying foreign tourists as he attempted to cross the road and enter Walking Street in South Pattaya.

Tourist Police and medics rushed to the scene and assisted Mr. Eugene Lyons who was lying face-down on the street and was unable to move due to serious injuries to both of his legs.

He had been struck by the left-side of the coach, driven by Khun Anuson aged 60, as he negotiated a left-hand turn towards the South Pattaya Road in front the Northern entrance to Walking Street. Mr. Lyons fell onto the road and was then run over by the left-side wheels of the coach.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/111324/irishman-hit-by-coach-at-northern-entrance-to-walking-street-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-12-07

mate saw it ...guy just walked or rather skipped in front of the bus ...the bus had no chance of stopping ...saw similar opposite mikes dept store ...guy just walked straight out into traffic ...baht bus slammed on brakes and stopped but got rear ended ... the guy just gave them a quizzical look and trotted off .....i bet thats the last time that baht bus driver stops for farang ....

• Like 1

I understand the bus drivers theory. Those baht busses are just horrible the way they park all over Pattaya and take up room, obstruction corners and general traffic. It's the same trying to turn on soi buakhao off of Pattaya Tai, just a bunch of trolls who think they are god and the only owners of the streets.

Then they just troll along at 2 kph not giving a sheite about the traffic behind them but instead trying to get another 10 baht.

That particular corner where this took place is very very bad and if a guy has had a few and tries to negotiate crossing the street there it becomes very dangerous and like the bus driver said he has to look at a thousand different things.

The few times I have been to Pattaya I made sure I always walked down the street a little before crossing, it is indeed a very dangerous corner.

Sounds as if he got much more attention than the Thai woman that was allegedly 'Bashed' by Russians very close to this area.

I must admit I always walk down from the corner to cross it is a B****y dangerous place to cross after Dark

coffee1.gif

It is the same here in Siem Reap: some people seem to throw all caution to the wind when on a holiday, ignoring traffic and walking the streets like they own them.

So true. Anybody driving in PTY has to be very careful not to hit a tourist, often drunk, stepping out into the road and walking in the middle of the road. I've already almost hit a few this tourist season (which I had earlier pronounced officially open). It's surprising that more aren't injured.

And just in the past couple of weeks, I've almost been hit by several idiot old farang geezers driving motorbikes, changing lanes w/o looking and checking their blind spots. One of these was in the Foodland parking lot--geezer started turning right in front of me.

Well, tourists don't have a clue about the way traffic works here; neither do some residents! (Hence many complain while Thais are doin' business as usual; you gotta understand and roll w/ the flow).

Now, I hate baht buses and some of the baht bus drivers I've encountered. I firmly believe that someday I'll die from being hit and run over by a baht bus. Yet, for the kilometers they drive, the stress of the job, and the hideousness of PTY traffic (for which they bear a large share of responsibility), they aren't THAT bad. And they have definitely improved a lot in the last 10 years. There, I've said it.

Edited by JSixpack

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Coach driver sees the funny side of it, yes.

He's probably still off his nut, and the Yabbaa hasent worn off yet.

From what gaucho said it was the Irishman who was under the influence.

Is that the usual sterotypical comment about the Irish?

Groucho stated; mate saw it ...guy just walked or rather skipped in front of the bus.

Do I see stagger here?? Or did you?

The poor guy may never walk again.......

I saw a woman who fell under the back wheels of a bus. She was caught under the back wheels and dragged. People were throwing up all over the place. Her two legs were total hamburger and completely gone from above both her knees.

It is not a prety sight when some unfortunate goes under heavy vehicle such as a bus or a lorry. I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.

It is the same here in Siem Reap: some people seem to throw all caution to the wind when on a holiday, ignoring traffic and walking the streets like they own them.

So true. Anybody driving in PTY has to be very careful not to hit a tourist, often drunk, stepping out into the road and walking in the middle of the road. I've already almost hit a few this tourist season (which I had earlier pronounced officially open). It's surprising that more aren't injured.

And just in the past couple of weeks, I've almost been hit by several idiot old farang geezers driving motorbikes, changing lanes w/o looking and checking their blind spots. One of these was in the Foodland parking lot--geezer started turning right in front of me.

Well, tourists don't have a clue about the way traffic works here; neither do some residents! (Hence many complain while Thais are doin' business as usual; you gotta understand and roll w/ the flow).

Now, I hate baht buses and some of the baht bus drivers I've encountered. I firmly believe that someday I'll die from being hit and run over by a baht bus. Yet, for the kilometers they drive, the stress of the job, and the hideousness of PTY traffic (for which they bear a large share of responsibility), they aren't THAT bad. And they have definitely improved a lot in the last 10 years. There, I've said it.

I've almost been hit by several idiot old farang geezers driving motorbikes, changing lanes w/o looking and checking their blind spots.

Aint that the truth.

Try driving from Suk Rd down Pattaya Klang heading to BR, the worst part is when you hit Big C.

Coffin dodgers who have no clue, doubtful (judging by the way they sit on the m/c) if they have ever driven a m/c in their life.

Heres a tip gramps, next time let "Little Lek" drive, she has more (road) sense than you.

Little Lek 45 kg, might have more road sense, but maybe she is more used to driving around with her friends, but not with a 100+ kg farang on the back. Then again, maybe she is used to giving 100kg farangs a good ride!

I dare say "Little Lek" has navigated way more (farang) buffalos around in excess of 300kg.

Have you seen some of the "Little Leks" these farang have in tow, <deleted> the buffalo is smaller than "Little Lek"

Anyway onto more serious issues, <deleted> gramps, go and get some m/c training before buying one of these "twist 'n' goes"

The flip flops and wife beater isnt really suitable m/c riding gear either.

Did the bus stop or just keep going?

Since there is a picture of it in the article with an ambulance parked in front of it - what do you think Sherlock?

Sometimes being nice to another person is simply a matter of remaining silent.

• Like 1

I've almost been hit by several idiot old farang geezers driving motorbikes, changing lanes w/o looking and checking their blind spots.

Aint that the truth.

Try driving from Suk Rd down Pattaya Klang heading to BR, the worst part is when you hit Big C.

Coffin dodgers who have no clue, doubtful (judging by the way they sit on the m/c) if they have ever driven a m/c in their life.

Heres a tip gramps, next time let "Little Lek" drive, she has more (road) sense than you.

Seems that some personal inventory might benefit certain posters considering the plethora of critiques about other peoples behaviors, age, looks, etc.

Perhaps laying off the beverages for a few weeks might clear the mind enough to realize that we all have defects and there might be some benefit from a bit of self-maintenance,

Be nice. It's,contagious.

poor guy, thought he was going to get his leg over and ended up with his legs under

I get it. However, trade places with the victim and the humor might fade very quickly.

Making light of someone's pain and misfortune, however intentioned, does not relieve the victims situation.

It only serves to bring scrutiny of the writers view on humanity.

Aint that the truth.

Seems that some personal inventory might benefit certain posters considering the plethora of critiques about other peoples behaviors, age, looks, etc.

Perhaps laying off the beverages for a few weeks might clear the mind enough to realize that we all have defects and there might be some benefit from a bit of self-maintenance,

Be nice. It's,contagious.

Never met you before dont know you from Adam.

However if you are one of these geriatric coffin dodger bike riders who has never driven a "twist n go" until you reached these shores, please bare in mind, next time my mrs wont be so gracious.

Trust you have the, relevant bike license, and insurance?

You are of course correct, if we have defects. please ride the baht bus.

• Like 1

Over-served, making the mistake of thinking the bus driver saw him and would stop/slow down.

You have to make eye contact with the driver to make sure you are seen. Better to cross in front

of cars, or baht busses. Drivers are crap, pedestrians are stupid.

I wish the guy a speedy and full recovery.

Were there 2 incidents there on Friday night?

I saw something around 9.30pm, which was certainly not the early hours of Saturday.

As I came out of PattayaLand 2 onto the Beach rd there had been something prior as barriers had been put up turning all the traffic off Beach Rd and onto PattayaLand, at the Tai junction there was the usual accident painted box on the road, but otherwise nothing apparent.

That corner is a disaster.... being Friday night there was a LOT of foot traffic trying to get in and out of Walking St... the Beach Side is a mess with construction work still ongoing and no access, so where are all these people going to go? Of course the other side is just a narrow pavement mostly blocked by plastic-crap vendors. The corner is also narrowed by parking baht buses on Tai and dropping off ones stopping on Beach Rd. Then you have these coaches the size of battleships trying to make the bend.

It is really pathetic that this situation is permitted.... a poor way to treat the tourists.

I found it infuriating even with the absence of traffic!

I did feel that the temporary blocking off of Beach Rd looked like a good idea for a long term solution.........or perhaps baht-bus only.

Certainly getting rid of coaches and HGV vehicles at night-time by forcing them up Klang might be an idea, few hotels with vehicle access to that side after Klang.

You have to consider that where there is no pavement area for pedestrians, the 'road' has to be shared.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1