Alternative to non o based on marriage?

For the last few years I have always had a non o based on marriage from UK.

This may not be such an easy option for me soon as I don't plan to go there so otten and was wondering what options are easier if any.

I am under 50 so retirement visa no good, I spend about 5-6 weeks in Thailand at a time so visa waiver 30 days not enough time, could I extend that or is it a huge hassle? I have money but currently saving for a house deposit and don't want to have to leave sums of money in non performing accounts unless no choice. I really don't want to go back to doing visa runs.

Any ideas welcome from people in a similar position.

Thanks

Make a trip to Savannakhet for your multiple entry non-o visa. No financial proof is needed there.

Getting the extension is not that big a problem to get. If working outside the country you could get an income letter from the embassy to prove 40k baht income. The biggest problem for you though could be the timing of getting the extension.

If you come in on a visa exempt entry, you will get 30 days. If you are married to a Thai each 30day entry can be extended for 60 days at the immigration office responsible for the area where you live, cost 1900 baht

The only problem that you will have is that some airlines in some countries require that you have an ticket exiting Thailand during the 30 day entry. If you are coming from and returning to the UK you could purchase a return during the first 30 days and once here change the return reservation, but it would have to be a flexable ticket and could cost more than it's worth doing.

Since he only comes here for 5-6 weeks each time, would not a single-entry 60-day tourist visa obtained in the UK plus a confirmed flight back to the UK at the end of this period do the trick for each trip? Would certainly avoid the need for border runs once here plus possible check-in hassle at Heathrow.

• Like 1

Since he only comes here for 5-6 weeks each time, would not a single-entry 60-day tourist visa obtained in the UK plus a confirmed flight back to the UK at the end of this period do the trick for each trip? Would certainly avoid the need for border runs once here plus possible check-in hassle at Heathrow.

Thanks for the idea but I am trying to avoid trips to the uk as I am working in the U.S. Its the ease I am looking for but if I am going to have to go to another country I guess Laos might be the easier option.

Depends how far you live from a border crossing...

I am in a similar situation and have been coming in on a 30 day visa exempt, then getting a 60 day extension.

Now that it is possible to obtain 30 days at land borders, might be easier just to take a day trip and get another 30...

My only problem now is the rate my passport pages are getting stamped up :)

I am in a similar situation and have been coming in on a 30 day visa exempt, then getting a 60 day extension.

Now that it is possible to obtain 30 days at land borders, might be easier just to take a day trip and get another 30...

My only problem now is the rate my passport pages are getting stamped up :)

that's a good idea. I do have a house up near nakorn phanom so if I could get 30 days by crossing the bridge there it might be a good option.

whistling.gif Unless my math is wrong there are 7 days in a week and 6 weeks is 42 days.

Therefore a 60 day tourist visa (which can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days for 1900 Baht if you choose) would be the right visa for you .... allowing you to stay up to almost 13 weeks for each visa.

That shouldn't be hard to get in a Thai consulate in the U.K.

You MAY need to show a return ticket and/or proof of funds (money in the bank in the U.K.) to cover your expenses during your stay in Thailand or you may not ..... that depends on the consulate you apply at.

But I haven't heard of anyone being refused 2 tourist visa a year. It's just the consecutive back-to-back tourist visas that make Thai consulates ask why you need 3 or 4 "tourist" visas a year.

Thailand WANTS legitimate tourists ... and you shouldn't have any problem getting a 60 day tourist visa and extending it in Thailand for another 30 days every year.

It's done all the time .... especially in countries where the winter is COLD.

I have a friend from the Netherlands .... unfortunately now passed away.... who spent over 10 years getting tourist visas for Thailand for November to March every year.

The only time they ever asked him why in the consulate, he simply said he hated the winter in the Netherlands .... it was too cold.

Getting a 3 month stay in Thailand each year on a tourist visa should be no problem.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Posted Image Unless my math is wrong there are 7 days in a week and  6 weeks is 42 days.

Therefore a 60 day tourist visa (which can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days for 1900 Baht if you choose) would be the right visa for you .... allowing you to stay up to almost 13 weeks for each visa.

You MAY need to show a return ticket and/or proof of funds (money in the bank in the U.K.) to cover your expenses during your stay in Thailand or you may not ..... that depends on the consulate you apply at.

But I haven't heard of anyone being refused 2 tourist visa a year. It's just the consecutive back-to-back tourist visas that make Thai consulates ask why you need 3 or 4 "tourist" visas a year.

Thailand WANTS legitimate tourists ... and you shouldn't have any problem getting  a 60 day tourist visa and extending it in Thailand for another 30 days every year.

I have a friend from the Netherlands .... unfortunately now passed away.... who spent over 10 years getting tourist visas for Thailand for November to March  every year.

The only time they ever asked him why in the consulate, he simply said he hated the winter in the Netherlands .... it was too cold.

Getting a 3 month stay in Thailand each year on a tourist visa should be no problem.

Please go back and read the OP.

He is not in the UK nor does he have any plans on going there anytime soon.

Also he lives here not the UK.

• Like 1

whistling.gif Unless my math is wrong there are 7 days in a week and 6 weeks is 42 days.

You MAY need to show a return ticket and/or proof of funds (money in the bank in the U.K.) to cover your expenses during your stay in Thailand or you may not ..... that depends on the consulate you apply at.

Thailand WANTS legitimate tourists ... and you shouldn't have any problem getting a 60 day tourist visa and extending it in Thailand for another 30 days every year.

I have a friend from the Netherlands .... unfortunately now passed away.... who spent over 10 years getting tourist visas for Thailand for November to March every year.

In post 5 he says he's working in the US. Your ideas are good - I'm waiting to find out if a UK citizen can get that 60 day visa in the US.

Yes, a UK national working in the USA can get a tourist visa from a Thai consulate in the USA and for convenience the application can be made by mail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He is married, so he can extend a 30 day visa exemption entry for 60 days. Cost 1900 baht, no need to pay for a tourist visa. Plus I believe he only stays for 5-6 weeks at a time, so really no requirement for a 60 day visa anyway.

Why do you need to go back for your non Imm O visa?

I am from USA and have had a non Immigrant type O visa for years and have not left Thailand since I got it.

I just jump through all the hoops at the immigration office here in Thailand once a year and have no problems!

• Like 1

Why do you need to go back for your non Imm O visa?

I am from USA and have had a non Immigrant type O visa for years and have not left Thailand since I got it.

I just jump through all the hoops at the immigration office here in Thailand once a year and have no problems!

Because you have an extension of stay you obtained from immigration not a visa.

He has been getting multiple entry non-o visas from an embassy or consulate.

My only problem now is the rate my passport pages are getting stamped up smile.png

Dig around on Thaivisa and find the link for getting an E-visa. Electronic, not Ed-visa. Easier than you might think

Print off two copies and show them in Cambodian in out booths. No need to get the full page sticker and lose two pages.

You get a total of two Thai stamps and four Cambo stamps. One page instead of two.thumbsup.gif

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Make a trip to Savannakhet for your multiple entry non-o visa. No financial proof is needed there.

Until the crackdown. Publicity killed Hull and it will do the same to Savannakhet.

Sounds like the OP could get by on a Tourist visa available anywhere.

Edited by trucking

It does sound like a tourist visa might be the most painless way of doing things. The in country extensions sound like a hassle with money needed in certain accounts. My non o doesnt expire for a few months yet so plenty of time to make a decision, thanks for all the tips.

It does sound like a tourist visa might be the most painless way of doing things. The in country extensions sound like a hassle with money needed in certain accounts. My non o doesnt expire for a few months yet so plenty of time to make a decision, thanks for all the tips.

If you can prove your income is equal to 40k baht monthly income or more by way of a income letter from embassy you do not need money in the bank. The embassy will accept pay stubs or some other proof of income.

The extension is not that hard to do. It is just a matter of timing. You could do the extension during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries. The best way to manage this would be to get a re-entry permit for a entry so you can do the re-entry when that entry is almost finished. It probably mean doing a border run to get a new entry while you are here.

You can get a new non-o visa just as easy as getting a tourist visa while in the states.

Up until 4 years ago, I used to get multi-entry Non-O from the Thai Consulate in Houston. I used to live and work there but the last application was accepted and I was only attending a convention in the city. I do think they have tightened up on the paperwork support since then so maybe need to check directly. If the OP's US work is within their jurisdiction, he could check with them. IMHO, getting the 1-year visa in Savanakhet would be better than a Tourist visa in his circumstances.

Regarding the extensions and money seasoning, getting the timing right is relatively easy and I reckon with current banks ANYWHERE, there's not much interest lost (or not being earned) in having £6700 sitting in a Thai account for 2-3 months. That's about a weeks wages for me.

Edited by NanLaew

In post 5 he says he's working in the US. Your ideas are good - I'm waiting to find out if a UK citizen can get that 60 day visa in the US.

He can try, but I fear they may wonder why a UK passport applying in the USA............I think one of the rules that can be enforced is = you have to aply in your country of origin, but they may not enforce it.............I mailed my passport to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC and got a one year Multiple entry & exit cost about $150, I forget......I am over the age limit so was easy, but I did it thru the mail...........

Getting an Thai Visa from the Thai embassy/consulate in the US on a UK Passport is not an issue. In LA the easiest is to go through an agency. There are very good ones that will charge you about $60 for the job (plus the $200 for the Consulate). Turn around time is about 2 days normally for a double entry extendable. Of course timing it out within the working week is everything.