Thai civic groups ready for long march tomorrow

Lite Beer

Thai civic groups ready for long march tomorrow
By Digital Content

13864713119248-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 8– Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has repeated his call for Thai people to stand up and join a multi-pronged march to Government House on Monday in what he predicted as the biggest anti-government movement in Thai history.

In a speech to protesters last night, the former Democrat MP said the Thai political system will be subject to a reform if people come out in full force tomorrow.

“If not, executive members of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee and I are willing to accept the consequences. We’ll walk into jail without shedding tears. We’ll be proud of having walked alongside the people in our fight,” said Mr Suthep.

Mr Suthep’s speeches, made daily at the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road, was simultaneously beamed to two rally sites at the Democracy Monument on Rajdamnoen Avenue and the Finance Ministry in Soi Aree.

He asked Bangkok people to walk on every street in the capital to let the international community witness the “world’s greatest march” while provincial people who wanted to join the act of civil disobedience in Bangkok should arrive in the city today.

Those living upcountry can also march to the provincial halls in their respective provinces for simultaneous protests countrywide, he said.

“Bangkok people will walk on every street to Government House as the final destination. I will lead the march from the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road to Chatuchak, Sapan Kwai and Victory Monument where we will join other groups at Government House,” he said.

“The path may be long and exhausting but we will be merry, cheerful and courageous. If we are intimidated by the authorities along the way, we will not retaliate. We’ll show a victory sign and continue walking. We have to be firm and restrain ourselves.” (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-08

I will lead the march from the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road to Chatuchak, Sapan Kwai and Victory Monument

my advice, he should walk directly from govt house to klong prem...(alias Bangkok hilton)

Bender, Thailand will have to be put through ardous trail first, however Klong Prem will likely be Sutheps final resting place unless he flees the country.

I hope Singha beer's 10M baht a day to support these protests is well spent.

They'll get that back - just the beers drunk before sending some of the posts on here will go a long way to helping out the Singha budget...............

• Like 1

As students are starting to rally in larger numbers and people are already arriving at the protest sites for tmw's march it looks as if Suthep may get his 1 million people. The Thai social networks are going wild with many people saying they will be there.

This is the first time in decades that we have seen this level of involvement and commitment from student activists.

Regarding VV's attacks on foreign journos. I abhor that NN got slapped around after arguing with protesters, but to be fair he was also being defended by some of the anti-gov't protest guards. Media intimidation is never right and it has been coming from the government side far more than from the anti-government side over the last month.

JD, I think you may be in for a rude awakening if you really expect a million marchers, I will be quite surprised if the numbers approach 150,000! No doubt the protestors will claim a million no matter what, but aerial photographs will tell the truthwai2.gif

• Like 1

I will lead the march from the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road to Chatuchak, Sapan Kwai and Victory Monument

my advice, he should walk directly from govt house to klong prem...(alias Bangkok hilton)

So you think a trial should be skipped?

Red justice in action

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I's almost like being put in jail for 3 years awaiting trial and being refused bail isn't it? Oh sorry that was what happened to some members of the UDD not because of them.

and just exactly what is "Red Justice" ?

“If not, executive members of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee and I are willing to accept the consequences. We’ll walk into jail without shedding tears,” said Mr Suthep

* Please note. All promises are subject to change without prior notice and are for illustrative purposes only.

• Like 2

Monday is not a holiday so the people that will show up will be the ones that have no job to go to. The ones that have a job and decide to go to a protest will have no job the following day.

As students are starting to rally in larger numbers and people are already arriving at the protest sites for tmw's march it looks as if Suthep may get his 1 million people. The Thai social networks are going wild with many people saying they will be there.

This is the first time in decades that we have seen this level of involvement and commitment from student activists.

Regarding VV's attacks on foreign journos. I abhor that NN got slapped around after arguing with protesters, but to be fair he was also being defended by some of the anti-gov't protest guards. Media intimidation is never right and it has been coming from the government side far more than from the anti-government side over the last month.

Nick Nostitz's reports really are impartial now. Silence is golden.

• Like 1

If not, executive members of the Peoples Democratic Reform Committee and I are willing to accept the consequences. Well walk into jail without shedding tears, said Mr Suthep

* Please note. All promises are subject to change without prior notice and are for illustrative purposes only.

Isn't that the mantra followed by most politicians? Not all, but most.

• Like 1

Nothing we say matters at all. That must really choke the punters. We are arguing in an echo chamber.

I pray for Thai people. I encourage them to raise their voice.

I am not taking sides because I have no right to take sides. This is not my country.

Thais will resolve this. Thais will overcome this. Thais will find a way.

None of us will have anything to do with it. We are not Thai, and no amount of money will change that.

Get over yourselves. We are not important here at all.

• Like 2

Nothing we say matters at all. That must really choke the punters. We are arguing in an echo chamber.

I pray for Thai people. I encourage them to raise their voice.

I am not taking sides because I have no right to take sides. This is not my country.

Thais will resolve this. Thais will overcome this. Thais will find a way.

None of us will have anything to do with it. We are not Thai, and no amount of money will change that.

Get over yourselves. We are not important here at all.

I'm sorry, but why are "we" not important? I live and work here (legally) and what goes on here affects me. I can't effect change and have no intention of joining any protest to do so. However we are all important. Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, but why are "we" not important? I live and work here (legally) and what goes on here affects me. I can't effect change and have no intention of joining any protest to do so. However we are all important.

While the change we can effect is minimal, I agree. We can still affect change. At least those of us that do not live in a bubble inside a farang only world in Thailand.

Open and frank discussions about what is happening in Thailand are probably not what the majority of posters have with their Thai friends and partners, but some of us do. The open exchange of information and ideas does change things .... however minimally or slowly.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but why are "we" not important? I live and work here (legally) and what goes on here affects me. I can't effect change and have no intention of joining any protest to do so. However we are all important.

While the change we can effect is minimal, I agree. We can still affect change. At least those of us that do not live in a bubble inside a farang only world in Thailand.

Open and frank discussions about what is happening in Thailand are probably not what the majority of posters have with their Thai friends and partners, but some of us do. The open exchange of information and ideas does change things .... however minimally or slowly.

How?

And I have many Thai friends and the last thing I want to be involved in directly is Thai politics.

More than enough in our semi disguised version on TV.

Edited by Thailand

Only thing I see the government has done is threatened arrests for those who're breaking the law? Then the threat by Rak Chiang Mai 51 I guess. But Suthep pretty much forced several broadcasters to show his speech - not using violence, but many, including apparently Human Rights Watch, class these actions as intimidatory. I think the main thing regards Nick wasn't just the slapping, but how he was singled out from the stage by someone that should know better. Plus Nick wasn't the only foreign journalist who's been on the receiving end of the protesters ire

Another guy got bashed by sign, some mad woman thought he was from the BBC. And another foreign journalist was accused of being a 'spy' and forced to leave the protest site as the protesters didn't like him filming their use of molotov cocktails. I'm not shouting and screaming about this. Just don't see how you can say 'media intimidation' has been coming mainly from the government side.

• Like 2

I hope Singha beer's 10M baht a day to support these protests is well spent.

Is there a link to this or is it a figment of red imagination?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dunno if that figure is reliable, or where it comes from but it wouldn't be that surprising. Singha is a Democrat Party funder and Chitpas Bhirombhakdi was pictured sitting in the bulldozer as they drove it at the police barricades. Mind you, that doesn't mean all her family members are necessarily happy about that.

• Like 1

Only thing I see the government has done is threatened arrests for those who're breaking the law? Then the threat by Rak Chiang Mai 51 I guess. But Suthep pretty much forced several broadcasters to show his speech - not using violence, but many, including apparently Human Rights Watch, class these actions as intimidatory. I think the main thing regards Nick wasn't just the slapping, but how he was singled out from the stage by someone that should know better. Plus Nick wasn't the only foreign journalist who's been on the receiving end of the protesters ire

Another guy got bashed by sign, some mad woman thought he was from the BBC. And another foreign journalist was accused of being a 'spy' and forced to leave the protest site as the protesters didn't like him filming their use of molotov cocktails. I'm not shouting and screaming about this. Just don't see how you can say 'media intimidation' has been coming mainly from the government side.

I understand your point. I also rather agree with HRW (I do occasionally) ... WANT coverage. The gov't side has instructed broadcast (free) media not to cover the rallies or announce their numbers. Meaning Thai people w/o access to cable TV etc get only the government sources. I missed the BBC thing (lots of people are still pretty sore at @pakhead and at NN. I did see the guy's report about feeling threatened when he was filming the goons with the molotov's. Not a shocker ... The issue does become one of press freedom and responsibility though. For the free press to ignore the rallies is irresponsible, for them to do it at the behest of tf the government is .....

BTW --- I don't have a problem with Truth Today being back on the air, but it would be far more responsible for channel 11 to also have a counter-point show.