Pattaya Survival Tips & Tricks

Gone

I would like to see what other peoples little tips and tricks are for surviving in Pattaya and hope people can add some constructive ideas. For me, I can only think of a couple right now but;

1. There is a free litigator in City Hall that can help with your legal matters.
  2. I think it is the White baht buses on Sukhumvit that will take you all the way to Na Jomtien and farther. (Correct me if I’m wrong please and anyone knows the cost)? Maybe other baht bus riders can give more info on the color code or travel routes?
  3. Population in 2013 is 65,000 not including expats and migrant workers.
  4. One of the best places for your Thai gf/wife to find jobs is on the big board just at the South entrance of City Hall. Jobs in Thai and English.
  5. There is a short-cut from the end of 2nd rd in Jomtien all the way to Na Jomtien now so you don’t have to go out to Sukhumvit but the roads are a little dodgy and hard to follow.
Edited by Rimmer
Please do not post in non standard fonts thank you
  • Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of tips for Thailand in general are good for Pattaya too.

There was a thread earlier this year about what to bring to Thailand from abroad:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656366-to-bring-or-not-to-bring/

And that thread is I think indirectly--take note, silly nitpickers--related to this one, as a list derived therefrom would be suggestive of what's useful to have around, whether carried in or not. Thai versions of many products are poor quality and the imports can be overpriced. I offered these additions:

Traditional double-edged razor so that you don't need to blow money on Fusions etc. You can buy a box of 100 DE blades cheaper here at a beauty supply here than you can there. Astras, Feathers, Lords, Gillettes. Shaving soap or cream, though, "no hab." (Members here believe wrongly that foam and gels are creams, and most all get it from a can.) Knowing this, I got 1 kg of Cella last time I was in the USA; it's great and will last forever: http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B00BPUJJ92.. Thailand sells only the poorest quality shaving brushes--they work, sort of, but they're a joke.

Good genuine (non-pirated) walking shoes, motorcycle gear (rainsuit!), vitamins. Light hiking boots--good to protect your feet everywhere, the sidewalks and roads hazardous; no sandals (and white socks!) for me, thank you.

small "genuine" keychain multitool, led light, belt hanger for keys

quality non-residue electrical and duct/gaffer tape: http://www.amazon.co... ,drugstore,847

quality ballpoint pens (ink dries up in all Thai pens in a few months)

cigars (THE biggest ripoff in Thailand)

large supply of good socks; Thai socks quickly wear through

good sunglasses; can't trust Thai, not UV resistant, international brands overpriced

multimedia player like WDTV Live, if voltage OK

suspension trainer (http://www.amazon.co...,k:trx)--though can make one here cheap if you're motivated; I did

female vibrator wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

a tailored suit/shirt/pants that can be used as a specification for tailors here (careful choosing that tailor!)

extra shoelaces in the right length

paracord comes in handy sometimes, as when you're exiting a burning building wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png (http://www.amazon.co...ds=550 paracord)

spare keyboard? Thailand has few backlit mechanical keyboards, no compacts

suitable walking hat in the style you prefer

quality backpack w/ sternum strap to prevent inconvenience/loss while on motorbike

good earplugs, bulk package cheap there

thin wallet

pacsafe (http://www.amazon.co...eywords=pacsafe)

favorite aftershave (selection limited here); how about colognes--no discount here. A Thai woman likes a good smellin' man.

coffee grinder, Thai voltage

spindle of double density DVDs (such as: http://www.amazon.co...ble density dvd). Hard to find quality here.

Read ThaiVisa daily! Always good for a laugh at the very least.

Well, now, this could be the longest thread in TV history if you consider all the complaints and how to solve them.

Really, the best tip is just to quitcherbitchin' and roll with flow, adopt the attitude that enables Thais best to survive: the Thai attitude. Yeah, it takes a while. Stop bitchin' that your eggs were undercooked, petal: eat them dam_n eggs and shut up. Workaround--with a smile. Then, you can enjoy fabulous Pattaya! I do. smile.png

• Like 1

Population 65,000?

Great thread! ... I've got to do that copy and laminate your passport ID page, visa page, entry stamp and arrival card and carry the copy with you

... but I also question the 65,000 figure ... blink.png ... I suppose it's just their way of counting the Folk.

6) Carry small change for the Baht bus and Food / Fruit sellers

7) Don't flash with cash and also it's better to leave that 2 THB gold necklace at home when going for a stroll on Beach Road / Only carry as much money as you need.

8) In Bars check your bills from time to time

Good advice, no gold watch either.

Don't carry a credit/debit card. You can always go back later to pay for any expensive item.

Get a plastic laminated copy of your passport.

Don't take a street lady home. One from a bar is 'traceable'(make sure she is in fact a lady, unless...)

Well, the list could go on for ever...

Edit: As usual I jumped in and wrote this before I read the full list of replies. All good advice

Edited by Bpuumike

7) Don't flash with cash and also it's better to leave that 2 THB gold necklace at home when going for a stroll on Beach Road / Only carry as much money as you need.

"it's better to leave that 2 THB gold necklace at home"

I doubt you bought a gold necklace for 2 THB although you might have a necklace that weighs 2 baht.

One baht [weight] Thai gold is equivalent to 15,244 grams before it is worked up. After the work the weight should be equal to or more than 15,16 grams, to still be termed as one baht gold.

Until November 27, 1902, the baht was fixed on a purely silver basis, with 15 grams of silver to the baht.

THB is the symbol for the currency which, like the British pound, has a historical connection to measures of weight/mass.

...silver coins known as “sterlings” were issued in the Saxon kingdoms, 240 of them being minted from a pound of silver... Hence, large payments came to be reckoned in “pounds of sterlings,” a phrase later shortened...
Encyclopedia Brittanica, entry "pound sterling"
Edited by Suradit69

Population 65,000?

Great thread! ... I've got to do that copy and laminate your passport ID page, visa page, entry stamp and arrival card and carry the copy with you

... but I also question the 65,000 figure ... blink.png ... I suppose it's just their way of counting the Folk.

Laminated Passport ID page and current visa on the reverse side, credit card size of course.

I don't worry about the entry card and stamp. Never had a problem with that. You or your lady can always pop home for it. Not sure if there isn't a 24 hour 'grace' period to show originals at the police station.

Similarly, a laminated copy of your Thai driving licence seems to work wonders. They can pick up your details from that if they are really interested.

65,000? Must be joking!! Is that Walking Street and surrounds?

• Like 1

I doubt you bought a gold necklace for 2 THB although you might have a necklace that weighs 2 baht.

One baht [weight] Thai gold is equivalent to 15,244 grams before it is worked up. After the work the weight should be equal to or more than 15,16 grams, to still be termed as one baht gold.

Until November 27, 1902, the baht was fixed on a purely silver basis, with 15 grams of silver to the baht.

THB is the symbol for the currency which, like the British pound, has a historical connection to measures of weight/mass.

...silver coins known as “sterlings” were issued in the Saxon kingdoms, 240 of them being minted from a pound of silver... Hence, large payments came to be reckoned in “pounds of sterlings,” a phrase later shortened...

I was refering to the people who wear the fake (or worth 2 Thb) necklace ;)

• Like 1

Make like a Phetchabun Hmong cabbage farmer. Keep your millions in the bank and dress and act like you are watching the pennies. If anyone uses the parochial term, 'Cheap Charile', avoid them like the black plague.

Great comments but I was hoping this could be Pattaya specific as a lot of the great ideas are smart all over Thailand and the world really.

If you are like me and don't read many of the other forums on TV then sure this is great to tell folk as it has already reminded some people especially the laminated PP.

I guess another one would be to b-line around transformer boxes on beach road sidewalk. lol

So is it 20 baht to go from let's say Pattaya Klang to past Na Jomtien? Can anyone confirm if it is only the White ones on Sukhumvit rd?

Another one for musicians is there is a GREAT guitar mechanic named Mike behind Foodland or accessable behind Big-C Extra.

Also a great little (well not so little) Music store off of Pattaya Klang on the right headed towards the beach just before Foodland on soi ...... damn it just left my brain. Is it soi Town & Country or something like that?

add to the list of tips:

- don't buy expensive original electronics from stalls (in Tukcom or other venues). Retailers such as BigC, Tesco and even Powerbuy are always cheaper (although the Tukcom vendors can sometimes be bartered down to match), but the main reason not to buy from them is because their stall might not be there tomorrow when you come back with your defective purchase.

- shop around before exchanging money. I found Yenjit (several locations, Walking Street, Jomtien and more) to give consistently better quotes, but YMMV.

- don't sell farang gold (18 carat) in Thailand, the rates are usually very bad

- if you worry about losing your expensive phone and/or your foreign sim card, go to tukcom and buy a cheap phone and then a Thai prepaid sim

- when wandering around, only take the copy or your passport, your driver license (if you drive), a bit more money than you need and your keys, and your cheap phone

- when parking a motorcycle at night in an isolated place, lock the wheel with the provided lock

- convenience stores sell survival gear: plastic raincoat (29 baht), wet wipes, moskito repellent, etc.

• Like 1

Buy a new (preferably expensive and imported but even a non-eco model Japanese) car so you can avoid all traffic rules with impunity and giggle to yourself when you drive past all the moto-driving farangs being stopped by the police and shaken-down and harassed for who knows what this time.

Take the opportunity to meet and become good friends with some of the prettiest transsexuals to be found in any country.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

add to the list of tips:

- don't buy expensive original electronics from stalls (in Tukcom or other venues). Retailers such as BigC, Tesco and even Powerbuy are always cheaper (although the Tukcom vendors can sometimes be bartered down to match), but the main reason not to buy from them is because their stall might not be there tomorrow when you come back with your defective purchase.

- shop around before exchanging money. I found Yenjit (several locations, Walking Street, Jomtien and more) to give consistently better quotes, but YMMV.

- don't sell farang gold (18 carat) in Thailand, the rates are usually very bad

- if you worry about losing your expensive phone and/or your foreign sim card, go to tukcom and buy a cheap phone and then a Thai prepaid sim

- when wandering around, only take the copy or your passport, your driver license (if you drive), a bit more money than you need and your keys, and your cheap phone

- when parking a motorcycle at night in an isolated place, lock the wheel with the provided lock

- convenience stores sell survival gear: plastic raincoat (29 baht), wet wipes, moskito repellent, etc.

You forgot condoms and lube.

Also cold refreshing face towels for the hot season or for cleaning up after a quick encounter.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

A lot of tips for Thailand in general are good for Pattaya too.

There was a thread earlier this year about what to bring to Thailand from abroad:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/656366-to-bring-or-not-to-bring/

And that thread is I think indirectly--take note, silly nitpickers--related to this one, as a list derived therefrom would be suggestive of what's useful to have around, whether carried in or not. Thai versions of many products are poor quality and the imports can be overpriced. I offered these additions:

Traditional double-edged razor so that you don't need to blow money on Fusions etc. You can buy a box of 100 DE blades cheaper here at a beauty supply here than you can there. Astras, Feathers, Lords, Gillettes. Shaving soap or cream, though, "no hab." (Members here believe wrongly that foam and gels are creams, and most all get it from a can.) Knowing this, I got 1 kg of Cella last time I was in the USA; it's great and will last forever: http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B00BPUJJ92.. Thailand sells only the poorest quality shaving brushes--they work, sort of, but they're a joke.

Good genuine (non-pirated) walking shoes, motorcycle gear (rainsuit!), vitamins. Light hiking boots--good to protect your feet everywhere, the sidewalks and roads hazardous; no sandals (and white socks!) for me, thank you.

small "genuine" keychain multitool, led light, belt hanger for keys

quality non-residue electrical and duct/gaffer tape: http://www.amazon.co... ,drugstore,847

quality ballpoint pens (ink dries up in all Thai pens in a few months)

cigars (THE biggest ripoff in Thailand)

large supply of good socks; Thai socks quickly wear through

good sunglasses; can't trust Thai, not UV resistant, international brands overpriced

multimedia player like WDTV Live, if voltage OK

suspension trainer (http://www.amazon.co...,k:trx)--though can make one here cheap if you're motivated; I did

female vibrator wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

a tailored suit/shirt/pants that can be used as a specification for tailors here (careful choosing that tailor!)

extra shoelaces in the right length

paracord comes in handy sometimes, as when you're exiting a burning building wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png (http://www.amazon.co...ds=550 paracord)

spare keyboard? Thailand has few backlit mechanical keyboards, no compacts

suitable walking hat in the style you prefer

quality backpack w/ sternum strap to prevent inconvenience/loss while on motorbike

good earplugs, bulk package cheap there

thin wallet

pacsafe (http://www.amazon.co...eywords=pacsafe)

favorite aftershave (selection limited here); how about colognes--no discount here. A Thai woman likes a good smellin' man.

coffee grinder, Thai voltage

spindle of double density DVDs (such as: http://www.amazon.co...ble density dvd). Hard to find quality here.

Read ThaiVisa daily! Always good for a laugh at the very least.

Well, now, this could be the longest thread in TV history if you consider all the complaints and how to solve them.

Really, the best tip is just to quitcherbitchin' and roll with flow, adopt the attitude that enables Thais best to survive: the Thai attitude. Yeah, it takes a while. Stop bitchin' that your eggs were undercooked, petal: eat them dam_n eggs and shut up. Workaround--with a smile. Then, you can enjoy fabulous Pattaya! I do. smile.png

I want toi hang with you.................like the last paragraph, simplest tip of them all.clap2.gif

Survival? Just common sense. Things like:

- If fellow Farang approaches you around midnight, still wearing dark sunglasses and his tattoo on his chest says "Mama loves me" and thanks to his long stay in Pattaya and his connections, offers you a condominium bargain linked to a solid health-insurance plan = just say no and run!

- If at 3:30 AM on beach road, a lady-boy whispers in your ear with a somber voice: "Come with me, have party, much fun, no money" = just say no and run! Etc,etc....

- If lady-friend of 3 days claims "Water-Buffalo had heart-attack and needs a triple-bypass surgery" you can either say no and run or claim that you are a heart surgeon and want to perform the triple bypass yourself in order to save money for her.

Pattaya is a fun place, a freak-show and a circus all in one. Heaven and hell. A place for dreamers, 2 year high-rollers, tourists, retirees and modern day desperados that may lay in the gutter but still want to look up at the stars.

Pattaya in this form and shape is unique in this universe. Some like it, some not. But for the foreseeable future, there will always be plenty of people that like Pattaya the way it is and keep coming back.

Cheers.

I had dinner with the Pattaya City Engineer two years ago.

I was doing a project on the actual history of Pattaya (no,it never was a fishing village) and he had directed me to interview the elderly residents of the old Banglamung Home.

I asked him if there had ever been a "Census". He told me that these were not popular with Thai people and even less so with some administrations.

The Population of Pattaya is actually estimated by the amount of garbage removed from households.

By the City's estimate it is around 600,000 give or take 20,000 or so.

However, knowing the "system" as most of us do - this could be plus or minus 150,000 - or so.

Being delicate, with the splitting off of Pattaya from the Chon Buri 'family' three distinct 'families' came into being, one centred on Bang Saen.

As all Pattaya scholars know, there is actually no such city or town or even place called "Pattaya".

You will know this when you enter its non-boundaries, walk its non-existent streets and talk to any of its phantom citizens who number zero.

Now if you are looking for the heavily populated "Hot Spots" then you must visit Banglamung or Nongprue - THAT's where the action is.

• Like 1

I was doing a project on the actual history of Pattaya (no,it never was a fishing village) and he had directed me to interview the elderly residents of the old Banglamung Home.

I asked him if there had ever been a "Census". He told me that these were not popular with Thai people and even less so with some administrations.

The Population of Pattaya is actually estimated by the amount of garbage removed from households.

However, knowing the "system" as most of us do - this could be plus or minus 150,000 - or so.

Being delicate, with the splitting off of Pattaya from the Chon Buri 'family' three distinct 'families' came into being, one centred on Bang Saen.

As all Pattaya scholars know, there is actually no such city or town or even place called "Pattaya".

You will know this when you enter its non-boundaries, walk its non-existent streets and talk to any of its phantom citizens who number zero.

Now if you are looking for the heavily populated "Hot Spots" then you must visit Banglamung or Nongprue - THAT's where the action is.

From Wikipedia:

Pattaya City (Thai: เมืองพัทยา; RTGS: Mueang Phatthaya) is a self-governing municipal area which covers the whole tambon Nong Prue and Na Kluea and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai. The City is situated in the heavily industrial Eastern Seaboard zone, along with Si Racha, Laem Chabang, and Chonburi. It has a population exceeding 100,000 (2007). Pattaya is also the center of the Pattaya-Chonburi Metropolitan Area, the conurbation in Chonburi Province, with a total population exceeding 1,000,000[citation needed].

Pattaya, located off the Gulf of Thailand, is approximately 160 km south of the city of Bangkok, surrounded by Bang Lamung District.

The city of Pattaya is a special municipal area which covers the whole tambon Nong Prue (Nongprue) and Na Kluea (Naklua) and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai. Bang Lamung township which forms the northern border of Pattaya covers parts of the tambon Bang Lamung (Banglamung), Nong Pla Lai and Takhian Tia. Bang Sali is on the southern border of Pattaya.

"Greater Pattaya" occupies most of the coastline of Banglamung (one of the eleven districts that comprise Chonburi Province). It is divided into a larger northern section which spans the areas to the east of Naklua Beach (the most northern beach) and Pattaya Beach (the main beach) plus the Pratamnak Hill (often called "Buddha Hill" because of the temples on top of the hill) headland (immediately south of Pattaya Beach), and a smaller southern section covering the area to the east of Jomtien Beach (which lies directly south of Pratamnak Hill).

Pattaya city has been administered under a special autonomous system since 1978. It has a status comparable to a municipality and is separately administered by the mayor of Pattaya city who is responsible for making policies, organizing public services and supervising all employees of Pattaya city administration.

Great comments but I was hoping this could be Pattaya specific as a lot of the great ideas are smart all over Thailand and the world really.

If you are like me and don't read many of the other forums on TV then sure this is great to tell folk as it has already reminded some people especially the laminated PP.

I guess another one would be to b-line around transformer boxes on beach road sidewalk. lol

So is it 20 baht to go from let's say Pattaya Klang to past Na Jomtien? Can anyone confirm if it is only the White ones on Sukhumvit rd?

Another one for musicians is there is a GREAT guitar mechanic named Mike behind Foodland or accessable behind Big-C Extra.

Also a great little (well not so little) Music store off of Pattaya Klang on the right headed towards the beach just before Foodland on soi ...... dam_n it just left my brain. Is it soi Town & Country or something like that?

A guitar mechanic???? Why would you need one? Unless you are useless with a guitar.

"Also a great little (well not so little) Music store off of Pattaya Klang on the right headed towards the beach just before Foodland on soi ...... dam_n it just left my brain. Is it soi Town & Country or something like that?

A guitar mechanic???? Why would you need one? Unless you are useless with a guitar."

That is a bit of arrogance that serves no purpose other than to somehow impress yourself I would guess. It is not necessary to be a wiz auto mechanic in order to be a good driver, which would be a similar analogy. We generally call a person like that a "guitar tech" and many top flight bands travel with their own personal guitar tech. Some people are not comfortable nor wish to acquire the ability to set up and/or mod a guitar. I do my own, btw. I didn't know of a good tech and didn't want to trust someone that probably has less ability than myself to play with my babies. So I learned on my own.

I think I know the shop, but would be nice if name and address could be posted.

So tell me what was the alleged Pattaya if it wasn't a fishing village previously?

One baht [weight] Thai gold is equivalent to 15,244 grams before it is worked up. After the work the weight should be equal to or more than 15,16 grams, to still be termed as one baht gold.

Until November 27, 1902, the baht was fixed on a purely silver basis, with 15 grams of silver to the baht.

...silver coins known as sterlings were issued in the Saxon kingdoms, 240 of them being minted from a pound of silver... Hence, large payments came to be reckoned in pounds of sterlings, a phrase later shortened...

I was refering to the people who wear the fake (or worth 2 Thb) necklace wink.png

Interesting info.

2 Baht weight is pretty well 1 Troy ounce, fine is not 99.99 (don't have time to check but think Thai gold is around 96.5) and the difference is priced accordingly. The cheapest buy/sell spread you will find anywhere and gold is gold in any language.

Wandering off topic as usual, but always trying to inform -

That's why milled edges were introduced so the less scrupulous couldn't 'shave off' silver from the edges of the coins.

As for people who wear fake 2 or 5 baht weight-looking gold necklaces, well, they get what they appropriately deserve.

If you are here long time and have a relatively low income (TEFL or pension) still always try to save 5-10% of your income as you never know what is just around the corner.

Never carry much more money than you need. ( last week,lost my wallet with 13k in it).

Keep photocopies of driving license, passport bank books stored in a safe place. A godsend if you subsequently lose the original.

Always have adequate health insurance. An unexpected accident or illness can sometimes wipe out all savings.

Don't fall in love with a bar girl.

Keep your visa up to date.

If you keep cash in your house hide it well. Also invest in good quality security.

Leave the bell ringing and ping pong balls to two week millionaires.

Edited by Rimmer
no need for profanities