Foomanlou -- major new authentic regional Chinese restaurant opens in Central Pattaya

Jingthing

Sirs

May i jump in here,if one like british CANTONESE CUISINE

There is one that has just opened on soi bukhaw,virtualy opposite Jollys restaraunt,that has the most delightful food,and far better than China Garden.They also do takeaways,and home delivery,And the establishment is called Wok and Rock,the old Vikings bar.

I believe the owner is SCOTTISH AND HIS THAI WIFE OF 10 YEARS,HAS A SCOTTISH ACCENT,QUITE NICE REALY.

I here there is an official opening on the 13th,with plenty of free food

BRITISH Cantonese cuisine...cooked by a Scotish/Thai couple...sounds yummy...NOT!
Tried it? Thought not . Probably no worse than Mexican cooked by yanks or kebabs cooked by Germans. Try engaging brain or taste buds before shorting off. Edited by RabC

Sirs

There is one that has just opened on soi bukhaw,virtualy opposite Jollys restaraunt,that has the most delightful food,and far better than China Garden.They also do takeaways,and home delivery,And the establishment is called Wok and Rock,the old Vikings bar.

I believe the owner is SCOTTISH AND HIS THAI WIFE OF 10 YEARS,HAS A SCOTTISH ACCENT,QUITE NICE REALY.

BRITISH Cantonese cuisine...cooked by a Scotish/Thai couple...sounds yummy...NOT!

maybe you might want to try it before making stupid comments like that

It is the best I've tasted in Pattaya by a long shot and I've been here nearly 10 years

One order of tum yum haggis in black-bean sauce please :)

Sirs

It is the best I've tasted in Pattaya by a long shot and I've been here nearly 10 years

Such Whit..... Want to borrow a spade to dig the hole deeper?

Sirs

Such Whit..... Want to borrow a spade to dig the hole deeper?

Such "wit" too.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

OK, adding some info about what the noodles I probably got were like.

As I said they showed me a large BLOCK of dough so I know that is real, unless of course, it was a PROP, and that would be pretty hilarious (after all I did not get a chance to stroke itcoffee1.gif ).

I know a type of Chinese noodle involves PEELING off the dough into noodles.

Now I don't know for a fact that they peeled them off that block as I did not watch them do that. Perhaps they have a machine for peeling. The doubt I have about the noodles is not the taste (they TASTED like those kinds of noodles which I have had before but years ago) but rather that the noodles seemed too CONSISTENT to be done by hand. So still a bit of a mystery to me.

Anyone who happens to visit FOOMALOU please post about your experiences there.

Again, I suggest you try to ask for these kind of noodles made directly off the large block of dough!

It occurs to me that miming out the PEELING motion could easily be seen as an obscene gesturew00t.gif , so be careful with that.

Even though I have not tried them yet, their specialty is obviously BOILED DUMPLINGS so I think that would be a good and safe place to start exploring their menu.

The Chinese word for PEELED I think:

A picture of chefs peeling that style of noodles:

post-37101-0-75716100-1386777378_thumb.j

BTW, for reference, locally SHANGHAI restaurant features HAND PULLED NOODLES which is quite an advanced skill. However, I don't consider their noodle product to be world class quality.

PAO (if and when open) features CUT noodles from handmade dough.

Edited by Jingthing

I then talked to a Chinese lady who had enough language to say they were bought in noodles. I got it across that I wanted in house handmade noodles and then they seemed to give me a CHOICE of those and showed me a huge brick of dough and made motions of hand slicing the noodles. That sounded great to me!

As far as what I got in the soup, frankly, I wouldn't bet any money that they were actually the hand sliced noodles they mimed to me or not!

If you can't distinguish manufactured noodles from handmade, then what's the point on insisting on handmade ones.

I then talked to a Chinese lady who had enough language to say they were bought in noodles. I got it across that I wanted in house handmade noodles and then they seemed to give me a CHOICE of those and showed me a huge brick of dough and made motions of hand slicing the noodles. That sounded great to me!

As far as what I got in the soup, frankly, I wouldn't bet any money that they were actually the hand sliced noodles they mimed to me or not!

If you can't distinguish manufactured noodles from handmade, then what's the point on insisting on handmade ones.

I already fully explained this in the last post. They TASTED like the peeled off noodles but they looked too CONSISTENT for that, so I can't be fully certain. It's possible they used a machine to peel the noodles or it's possible like you suggest that I'm just not knowledgeable enough. At least I am not lying and suggesting that I am. In any case, I enjoyed the noodles and they did SAY I was getting that kind of noodles directly from the dough block they did show me, so in future, whatever that was, I would always want it, and suggest others try to get whatever that was.

BTW, it is ALSO a possibility that they buy in the block of dough and create the noodles in the shop. Never heard of any place doing such a thing, but that might explain their original story that they buy in their noodles and THEN clearly show me a huge block of dough!

As far as "insisting" on preferring a handmade Chinese pasta product in a not cheap Chinese restaurant presenting itself as authentic and specializing in DUMPLINGS, seriously, are you really asking that? Of course anyone would prefer the handmade product in such a place.

Edited by Jingthing

I already fully explained this in the last post. They TASTED like the peeled off noodles but they looked too CONSISTENT for that, so I can't be fully certain. It's possible they used a machine to peel the noodles or it's possible like you suggest that I'm just not knowledgeable enough. At least I am not lying and suggesting that I am. In any case, I enjoyed the noodles and they did SAY I was getting that kind of noodles directly from the dough block they did show me, so in future, whatever that was, I would always want it, and suggest others try to get whatever that was.

BTW, it is ALSO a possibility that they buy in the block of dough and create the noodles in the shop. Never heard of any place doing such a thing, but that might explain their original story that they buy in their noodles and THEN clearly show me a huge block of dough!

As far as "insisting" on preferring a handmade Chinese pasta product in a not cheap Chinese restaurant presenting itself as authentic and specializing in DUMPLINGS, seriously, are you really asking that? Of course anyone would prefer the handmade product in such a place.

I didn't want to say that you're not knowledgeable concerning food, I know you are an expert, I only tried to make clear that the premium that in most places is charged for handmade food items is unwarranted for, as you just proved that it was really difficult to notice the difference.

I don't agree with your assessment of what happened at that restaurant, but you are welcome to believe it. Like I said, they TASTED like those kind of peeled noodles and they did NOT taste of bought in noodles! If you knew for a fact they were bought in noodles and I thought they tasted like handmade ones, then you'd have something, but you don't. Even then what you might have is that I don't know enough which may be true.

Unless we have the Chinese chef detectives visit them, this will remain a bit of a mystery.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, the noodles looked like these KNIFE cut noodles which are cut off the large block of dough. Here they say knife cut not peeled, but I think it's the same thing.

post-37101-0-72349900-1386877656_thumb.j

http://www.squidoo.com/easy-delicious-knife-cut-noodles-recipe

dao xiao mian

Note that these noodles are consistent, but still hand cut, so there you go.

This is a spicy broth version which wasn't on the menu at Foomanlou but they DO have a spicy broth large hot pot.

I am feeling more that the noodles really were the actual KNIFE cut noodles which is what I was told they were and shown the dough block (allowing for language issues).

The origin of this style of knife cut noodles is SHANXI province in Northeastern China.

Edited by Jingthing

200 baht for fried rice....sounds very overpriced to me....tourist ripoff place

This is authentic style Chinese food which is in very short supply in Pattaya. This is not Thai food which you can get everywhere here. I'm defending their price structure because they have a specialized CHINESE chef, large space, large staff, modern clean / attractive restaurant with comfortable seating, and very prime LOCATION. I don't see how a place like that can have any hope of being economically viable at budget prices. The same concept in a smaller space, lower rent location, and smaller staff could have charged lower prices.I don't think it's fair to label such a place a rip off unless you experience their actual food and decide they aren't delivering a good product. So far I think they are showing some promise.

I would say Shanghai is better value for money. However, it's location is inconvenient for many and they don't have all of the same dishes or the same chef.

Hopefully there is room for all kinds of new Chinese places in town now with the increase in incoming Chinese tourism, and these current places are the tip of the iceberg.

Agreed that a restaurant needs volume to be able to offer competitive prices, but fried rice at 200 baht is outrageous, because I can get a huge portion of good Chinese fried rice in Zurich for about 500 baht...

I often compare prices in Thailand with prices in Switzerland for personal economic research and I found that for average priced restaurants, the Swiss price is five times the Thai price, this is pretty consistent except exotic ingredients.

So... a normal portion of Chinese fried rice should be available for about 80-90 baht, considering I normally order a main dish (for example crispy duck or beef szechuan) and another dish (soup, dumplings, spring rolls, whatever) and I will expect to pay around 500 baht a person including a large beer.

The Chow box on Thappraya (has anyone been?) listed the fried rice at 180 baht a portion too... :-/

• Like 1

I don't think you get it. Foumanlou is a NORTHERN regional Chinese restaurant. It's a place to order WHEAT starches -- dumplings, breads, and noodles. Little point in ordering any rice at all there. No stir frys. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't think you get it. Foumanlou is a NORTHERN regional Chinese restaurant. It's a place to order WHEAT starches -- dumplings, breads, and noodles. Little point in ordering any rice at all there. No stir frys. Cheers.

Went there today and I have to say the food didn't appeal to me too much and it was way too expensive.

I'm not prepared to spend 250 baht on some dumplings.

Next...

• Like 1

Went there today and I have to say the food didn't appeal to me too much and it was way too expensive.

I'm not prepared to spend 250 baht on some dumplings.

Next...

Outrageous. 250Bt!

After all, you can get a nice box of Mama noodles at 7-11 for 12bt. and it comes with a free spoon. Not to mention you get to keep the box.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see here the same brigade that over protected the monkey from the other Chinese restaurant who is not even able to open 2 days in a row...

Really, you have nothing more interesting to do ? Why not work for charity sometimes ? You would be more useful to society than when you write here BS on topics you don't understand !

This restaurant hardly offers any authentic Chinese food, who is stupid enough to believe this ?

And it's so much overpriced that nobody should even talk about this tourist trap.

We really have bad luck with Chinese food around here !!!

You seem extremely agitated. I don't really get why.

Have you been to the restaurant?

Looked at their menu?

Had a meal?

Just curious on what information you based your opinion that they don't sell authentic Chinese food. I think they are making an effort to do so. Well, a certain subset of authentic Chinese food of course. The Northern wheat based cuisine I mentioned before.

If this place is a a tourist trap, I must say they're not doing a great job of trapping the tourists.

Yes I agree they are overpriced somewhat even considering the location.

I also agree that many of us would welcome a much wider range of options in local Chinese restaurants.

But we've got what we've got.

In my opinion, the best of what we've got now is Shanghai Restaurant.

It wouldn't stand out in San Francisco, London, or Hong Kong, but we've got what we've got.

Hopefully with more Chinese coming in, this situation will improve in future years.

Edited by Jingthing

I see here the same brigade that over protected the monkey from the other Chinese restaurant who is not even able to open 2 days in a row...

Really, you have nothing more interesting to do ? Why not work for charity sometimes ? You would be more useful to society than when you write here BS on topics you don't understand !

Feel the love! wub.png

I also agree that many of us would welcome a much wider range of options in local Chinese restaurants.

But we've got what we've got.

In my opinion, the best of what we've got now is Shanghai Restaurant.

It wouldn't stand out in San Francisco, London, or Hong Kong, but we've got what we've got.

Hopefully with more Chinese coming in, this situation will improve in future years.

I agree - yet I really still wonder why nobody can come up with a decent western-style Chinese restaurant in Pattaya that's also affordable.

It can't be that much more expensive to make cantonese rice!

They just need to master the shortlist of about 15 classic western-chinese (or call it UK-chinese if you like) dishes such as fried spring rolls, crispy duck, cantonese rice, chicken egg soup, beef szechuan, etc.

If they are able to do that, they will also be able to make some "authentic" Chinese dishes for the purists.

I just don't get why nobody does it.

Edited by manarak

Yes it's located on a corner at the 2nd road entrance to a large walking soi, Pattaya City Walk, that runs from 2nd road to beach road.

Pattaya City Walk is located a short bit SOUTH of Royal Garden Mall, you know with Ripleys.

It's a very tourist oriented area of course on the walk, hotels, restaurants, shopping, mostly over locals prices.

http://www.farangfriendly.com/pattaya-city-walk-royal-garden-plaza

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Major Update!

I stopped by this place last night and they GREATLY EXPANDED their menu.

There is no doubt now they have the widest, most interesting authentic Chinese food menu in town.

Definitely and easily overtaking Shanghai Restaurant in that regard.

Last night the joint was PACKED, mostly with INDEPENDENT Chinese appearing customers. My superficial observation was the crowd was Chinese Chinese not Thai Chinese, and of course the food has NOTHING to do with Thai Chinese food.

Incidentally, they do offer a limited number of Thai food options.

On the Chinese food side, for example they now offer two Chinese eggplant claypots and MULTIPLE very sophisticated SECHUAN offerings.

I decided to go back there later when they weren't crowded. There remain issues with COMMUNICATION with the staff. As their business is now BOOMING, they have added staff, seemingly mostly Thai waiters ... I imagine the Chinese customers have issues communicating with them too ... and in my experience their only knowledge about the food is that the food is Chinese food, that's it.

BTW, they have so much choice now there are now THREE menus! Be sure to look at them all before choosing. The prices are still on the high side. For example the claypots about 280, Sechuan ChongQing Spicy Chicken 300 baht but a small number of items friendlier priced like very nice looking har gow shrimp dumplings for 80 baht. It could be these are for family size portions though so that's some value there. I still think not bad and this trend of such REAL Chinese places opening up is just FANTASTIC!

Yet again, if you are seeking westernized Chinese food, steer WELL CLEAR of this place. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2