Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Fremantle rookies Sam Menegola and Michael Wood have been delisted following the club’s first post-season list management review.

They join retirees Kepler Bradley and Scott Gumbleton as players who will not be at the club beyond the 2014 season.

General manager of football operations Chris Bond said list changes were a difficult but necessary part of the industry.

“It’s never easy making these decisions, but unfortunately they have to be made,” he said.

“On behalf of the Fremantle Football Club, I thank both Sam and Michael for their contributions during their time here.

“They are both fine young men and we wish them all the best for the future.”

Menegola began his career as a rookie at Hawthorn’s in 2011 before Fremantle picked him up in the 2012 Rookie Draft.

The 22-year-old midfielder spent three seasons at the club but did not manage an AFL debut.

Wood, 20, was taken with pick 16 in the 2014 Rookie Draft. He did not play an AFL game in his only season at the club.

Jacob Ballard has agreed to a one-year extension to his contract, which will see him remain on the club’s rookie list for the 2015 season.

Ballard, 20, was selected with pick 47 in the Rookie Draft last year.

The club will continue to review its list during the AFL trade and free agency period in October.

• Like 1

At least 10 Eagles were using drugs, Cox reveals

RETIRED West Coast champion Dean Cox suspects at least 10 Eagles players experimented with drugs during the club's infamous fall from grace last decade.

Although much of the focus of West Coast's off-field shenanigans during 2006-07 focused on Ben Cousins' drug addiction, Cox said the issue stemmed far deeper than just one player.

Cox revealed the off-field dramas reached such a climax that it forced then-coach John Worsfold to call each player into his office to ask them directly whether they were either using or had previously experimented with drugs.

"I don't know the exact number of players who answered in the affirmative ... but I suspect it was in double figures," Cox wrote in his autobiography Iron Eagle, which was released this week.

I don't know a lot about Patfull...Is he in the Malceski mould?

I don't know if he's in the Malceski mould, but he's a very solid player who has had a low profile. Brisbane Club Champion 2012 and 2013. He's still under 30 and has played 182 games since debut in 2006. His discipline, work ethic and reliability would make him an asset to any club. However, his manager has poured cold water on the prospect of him leaving Brisbane in 2015. Greg Swann seems a bit open to offers though.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/brisbane-lions-defender-joel-patfull-far-from-landing-at-sydney-swans-20140930-10nyb2.html

• Like 1

1x1.gif
1x1.gifpost-140056-0-95924800-1412202029_thumb.

Essendon coach James Hird could reportedly be sacked at an urgent meeting today organised by the club's board.

Hird is said to be proceeding with an appeal against last month's devastating Federal Court ruling, while the Bombers have decided against pursuing any further legal action.

His move against the club’s wishes has reportedly led to today’s hastily-arranged conference to determine his fate.

Hird was barred from attending the club's best and fairest function last night.

Chairman Paul Little addressed the function, calling on supporters to “accept the Federal Court’s decision and move on.”

Senior Essendon players – including captain Jobe Watson - met with their embattled leader yesterday and urged him to drop the appeal to no avail,

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/10/01/18/21/james-hird-facing-the-sack-report#b7uBpdtZMGiwBpUy.99
Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2

At least 10 Eagles were using drugs, Cox reveals
RETIRED West Coast champion Dean Cox suspects at least 10 Eagles players experimented with drugs during the club's infamous fall from grace last decade.
Although much of the focus of West Coast's off-field shenanigans during 2006-07 focused on Ben Cousins' drug addiction, Cox said the issue stemmed far deeper than just one player.
Cox revealed the off-field dramas reached such a climax that it forced then-coach John Worsfold to call each player into his office to ask them directly whether they were either using or had previously experimented with drugs.
"I don't know the exact number of players who answered in the affirmative ... but I suspect it was in double figures," Cox wrote in his autobiography Iron Eagle, which was released this week.

The only thing that surprises me is the number. About 6 players spring to mid immediately but I guess another

4 or so could've been lower profile.

The rumours were strong around that time. One of them was some players from other clubs were invited to

"party" in the WC suite that they hired. Some of the players walked in and saw the WC boys doing lines of

coke and saw drugs everywherew00t.gif

Essendon coach James Hird could reportedly be sacked at an urgent meeting today organised by the club's board.

Hird is said to be proceeding with an appeal against last month's devastating Federal Court ruling, while the Bombers have decided against pursuing any further legal action.

His move against the club’s wishes has reportedly led to today’s hastily-arranged conference to determine his fate.

Chairman Paul Little addressed the function, calling on supporters to “accept the Federal Court’s decision and move on.”

Senior Essendon players – including captain Jobe Watson - met with their embattled leader yesterday and urged him to drop the appeal to no avail,

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/10/01/18/21/james-hird-facing-the-sack-report#b7uBpdtZMGiwBpUy.99

Surely he is pushing to be sacked rather than resigning...that way he will have to be paid out the next two years salary

• Like 1

I reckon if you asked every coach in the comp who they would prefer out of Selwood and Fyfe, not one would

pick Selwood.

WC desperately need midfielders and I'd still have Buddy.

Buddy is a match winner........nuff said.

Subjective I know and Selwood is a great player, but I'd picks guys like Roughead, Fyfe, Dangerfield and Ablett before him.

Mike’s Top 50: Geelong captain Joel Selwood pips Nat Fyfe and Lance Franklin for top billing

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/mikes-top-50-geelong-captain-joel-selwood-pips-nat-fyfe-and-lance-franklin-for-top-billing/story-fnp04gxa-1227076926861

Edited by Will27

1x1.gif

1x1.gifattachicon.gifJamesHirdAAP.jpg

His move against the clubs wishes has reportedly led to todays hastily-arranged conference to determine his fate.

Chairman Paul Little addressed the function, calling on supporters to accept the Federal Courts decision and move on.

Senior Essendon players including captain Jobe Watson - met with their embattled leader yesterday and urged him to drop the appeal to no avail,

Thompson will take over as Essendon coach when Hard is sacked today. Gold Coast will be kicking themselves because they have pinned thier hopes on Bomber.

I reckon if you asked every coach in the comp who they would prefer out of Selwood and Fyfe, not one would

pick Selwood.

Subjective I know and Selwood is a great player, but I'd picks guys like Roughead, Fyfe, Dangerfield and Ablett before him.

Mike’s Top 50: Geelong captain Joel Selwood pips Nat Fyfe and Lance Franklin for top billing

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/mikes-top-50-geelong-captain-joel-selwood-pips-nat-fyfe-and-lance-franklin-for-top-billing/story-fnp04gxa-1227076926861

Priddis comes in at #15

• Like 1

pick Selwood.

Oops, I meant the chance to pick between Buddy or Selwood.

It probably applies to Fyfe though not as muchsmile.png

1x1.gif

1x1.gifattachicon.gifJamesHirdAAP.jpg

Surely he is pushing to be sacked rather than resigning...that way he will have to be paid out the next two years salary

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/statement-from-james-hird

Clearly Hird's been spending a fair bit of time listening to Lance Armstrong...

• Like 1

Certainly looks that way.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/frawley-to-play-for-hawks

Good decision I guess, but he'll certainly have his work cut out for himself...

I wonder if Lake is retiring?

Either way, free agency, the way it is now is killing the competition.

Good players are not going to go to the bottom clubs and the strong

clubs like Geelong, hawthorn and Sydney can just top up.

Thoughts fella's?

• Like 1

Thoughts fella's?

Perhaps it's a circle of life scenario. In the same way that these 3 clubs don't get anywhere near the top 3 draft picks each year they use free agency to get the players they want.

Though top 3 draft picks on face value are what every club wants, you can't judge a book by it's cover and as we all know a number of the Swans superstars now and in the future came from 2nd round picks.

There needs to be some tweaking of the Free Agency rules though, I'm not a fan of this "restricted/unrestricted" free agency, either you are or you aren't. Free Agents should not be allowed to discuss switching clubs until after their season has been completed. Similar to FIFA where they have transfer windows etc

Thoughts fella's?

Perhaps it's a circle of life scenario. In the same way that these 3 clubs don't get anywhere near the top 3 draft picks each year they use free agency to get the players they want.

Though top 3 draft picks on face value are what every club wants, you can't judge a book by it's cover and as we all know a number of the Swans superstars now and in the future came from 2nd round picks.

There needs to be some tweaking of the Free Agency rules though, I'm not a fan of this "restricted/unrestricted" free agency, either you are or you aren't. Free Agents should not be allowed to discuss switching clubs until after their season has been completed. Similar to FIFA where they have transfer windows etc

But it's top sides that don't need the extra players.

It's the sides mid-table who are getting screwed. They get

midlevel draft picks.

My take on free agency is that 1, there should be no compensation.

It's not really free if you get any. I reckon once the player is eligible, they

can just go.

Secondly, make the top 4 teams ineligible or have a set number of wins whereas

you cannot pick up players.

A lot to discuss really.

But it's top sides that don't need the extra players.

It's the sides mid-table who are getting screwed. They get

midlevel draft picks.

My take on free agency is that 1, there should be no compensation.

It's not really free if you get any. I reckon once the player is eligible, they

can just go.

Secondly, make the top 4 teams ineligible or have a set number of wins whereas

you cannot pick up players.

A lot to discuss really.

That goes back to my 'circle of life' theory.

We'll always see a block of consecutive seasons where teams are flying high, Brisbane winning 3 on the trot and look at them now!

Swans, before '05 (as you may remember or selectively choose to forget ;) ) hadn't won a flag in decades now they've been in 4 GF's in 9 years and won 2.

It's not like the Steven Bradbury theory is active and these sides didn't just fall over the line.

Your boys are another example, they had a purple patch then faded out of contention but they'll be back.

Ultimately things need to be tweaked and hopefully for the betterment of the game!