Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

One of my favourite Eagles in trouble againsad.png

Ex- Eagle Daniel Kerr appears in Perth court over alleged assault

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ex-eagle-daniel-kerr-appears-in-perth-court-over-alleged-assault-20141112-11l26x.html#ixzz3IpT6Bd4V

I was thinking, what has happened to the AFL, it's not like it use to be without pre season drama.

I was thinking, what has happened to the AFL, it's not like it use to be without pre season drama.

I have a suggestion, Chooka. Replace off-field pre-season drama with on-field drama. I sent the comments below to a men's forum in Oz. Do you think Gillon will go for it?

The first game of Australian Rules football was played in 1858 on the Richmond Paddock between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar School. The rules for the game were agreed to before the match started, as were any rules for any game before 1859. As you can imagine, there was no umpire for the historic first game. Now we have three field umpires, four boundary umpires and two goal umpires for every AFL match (plus a video ref as backup), but has the game benefited as a result?

Too often we see an umpire at one part of the ground ruling inconsistently with others at different parts, and sometimes field umpires will overrule goal umpires and vice versa, and now we have the dubious benefit of a video referee who can overrule everyone. How does this help the game?

Do we really need a man in white to bounce the ball at the beginning of a quarter and after a goal has been scored? The rugby codes don't need it. Nor does soccer.

Do we need white line boundaries? Who benefits from rules like 'holding the man' and 'push in the back'? Why does an umpire have to decide if a ball has been marked? Why not just play on after each mark? We'll know who's taken the mark because he'll have the ball. How many of the other 'umpireal' decisions about 'kicking in danger', 'overrunning the mark', 'deliberate out of bounds', etc, actually improve the spectacle?

OK, maybe we do need goal umpires.

Imagine a game without holdups and dubious decisions by inconsistent field umpires. We know full well that umpires themselves don't know the rules. This is made very clear by the howls of outrage from spectators and players alike that greet their decisions all through the game. And many umpires, we gather from the same spectators, are recruited from the vision impaired community!

I don't know about the rugby codes. They may be different, but the rationale for a man running up and down and counting the tackles must be questioned. And do referees prevent serious injury from spear tackles and the like? Wouldn't the presence of police on the sidelines be more effective, especially when Paul Gallen's playing?

And soccer, where a bad referee can really destroy a game, can be played without one. I don't recollect referees in schoolyard games as a child, yet we enjoyed ourselves and we knew who'd won. The Socceroos might have won the World Cup in 2006 if there weren't any refs. Seb Blatter virtually admitted it.

So what do you think? Should I start with an email to the AFL suggesting a pre-season trial without umps? It might be more successful than my attempts to shorten the game to 80 minutes from its current marathon 120. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Xangsamhua
  • Like 1

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/beveridge-to-coach-dogs

Wonder what Bomber's going to do now...

Seems like Beveridge was just about the only one left.

Any coaches under the pump this season?

I reckon hardwick and Malthouse are under pressure.

I would've thought Bomber was a shoe in for that gig.. Dogs' tried the "fresh eyes" approach with McCartney and look where it got them..

Agree that Hardwick and Malthouse will be under the pump next season...

• Like 1

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-14/beveridge-to-coach-dogs

Wonder what Bomber's going to do now...

Seems like Beveridge was just about the only one left.

Any coaches under the pump this season?

I reckon hardwick and Malthouse are under pressure.

Beveridge was just appointed the director of coaching at St Kilda. The saints say they won't seek compensation.
  • Like 2

The AFL has advised that Nat Fyfe has been ruled out of the Australian squad to contest the 2014 Virgin Australia International Rules Test match against Ireland on Saturday at Patersons Stadium.

The Australian team played a practice match against a NSW GAA team in Western Sydney earlier today and Fyfe injured his right shoulder when diving for a mark in the closing minutes of the final term.

“It was the view of Australian team management, after consultation with medical staff, no risk would be taken with any player and he was ruled out, to be further assessed by his club,” the AFL said in a statement released this afternoon.

Early indications are that it is not a serious injury. Fremantle will provide a update on the 2014 Doig Medallist’s condition in coming days once an assessment is completed.

Fyfe said he was incredibly disappointed to miss the match in his home state.

“I've loved the experience over the last few days and meeting players from across the competition, and it’s incredibly disappointing to miss out,” he said.

“I dived for a mark and simply landed the wrong way and it didn't feel right.”

• Like 1

Forgot to mention this yesterday, caught the IRS on Eurosport (CTH) yesterday, first time in a long time the Aussies got up over the Irish.

It's all a bit amateurish really with with the Aussies making mistakes and giving away free kicks all over the shop...

Commentary was pathetic as well, Eurosport had their own amateur commentators which made it really hard to concentrate on the game.

That old <deleted> Fletcher should really retire, having been centre half back since Jesus was playing for Jerusalem it really is time for him to hang up the boots... He's really going to be a hindrance for the Bombers next season. That being said, he'll probably have an infraction notice issued to him from ASADA, so that'll see him done.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention this yesterday, caught the IRS on Eurosport (CTH) yesterday, first time in a long time the Aussies got up over the Irish.

It's all a bit amateurish really with with the Aussies making mistakes and giving away free kicks all over the shop...

Commentary was pathetic as well, Eurosport had their own amateur commentators which made it really hard to concentrate on the game.

That old <deleted> Fletcher should really retire, having been centre half back since Jesus was playing for Jerusalem it really is time for him to hang up the boots... He's really going to be a hindrance for the Bombers next season. That being said, he'll probably have an infraction notice issued to him from ASADA, so that'll see him done.

I just can't get into the international matches. Round ball, mish mash of rules, different scoring options.

Not much the Aussies can get out of it, except an injury.

Why do they bother?

• Like 1

Draft next week people, who will go at number one.

Petracca is the hot favourite but I am tipping that McCartin will wear the honours. Petracca is the best Apparently but the saints will be looking at a key forward (groom for the Swans to steal). That will almost give the demons the top 3 prospects again. Demons have never developed top picks so poor kids

Petracca is the hot favourite but I am tipping that McCartin will wear the honours. Petracca is the best Apparently but the saints will be looking at a key forward (groom for the Swans to steal). That will almost give the demons the top 3 prospects again. Demons have never developed top picks so poor kids

Swans already got the top draft pick in Heeney through the academy system, didn't they? tongue.png

Mate, if you could ask the boffins at St Kilda to keep Membrey match fit for us and we will take him back in 5 years when he is at the peak of his game

I just can't get into the international matches. Round ball, mish mash of rules, different scoring options.

Not much the Aussies can get out of it, except an injury.

Why do they bother?

watched it for a bit last night, 1st time in years and fell asleep. Bloody soccer ball did it Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Swans already got the top draft pick in Heeney through the academy system, didn't they? tongue.png

Mate, if you could ask the boffins at St Kilda to keep Membrey match fit for us and we will take him back in 5 years when he is at the peak of his game

Don't you have what's his name signed for 10? Frank lactose or something like that?
  • Like 1

Don't you have what's his name signed for 10? Frank lactose or something like that?

The name rings a bell. I know he is intolerant.

I am still hoping we swap out that useless, gangly, overpaid muppet, Sam Reid

• Like 1

Swans fans rejoice, from 2017 all home games will be played at the SCG For the next 30 years...

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-11-24/swans-to-play-all-matches-at-scg?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FanHQ%20eFlash%20-%20Monday%20Nov%2024%20(1)&utm_content=

Link to earlier announcement..

Great news. much better for the Swans to play at the SCG than Homebush stadium

Swans fans rejoice, from 2017 all home games will be played at the SCG For the next 30 years...

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-11-24/swans-to-play-all-matches-at-scg?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FanHQ%20eFlash%20-%20Monday%20Nov%2024%20(1)&utm_content=

Link to earlier announcement..

Great news. much better for the Swans to play at the SCG than Homebush stadium

I remember when every team had thier own grounds, now it's only a few.

We will develop McCartin and have him ready for the Swans when they want him.
  • Like 2

No worries Chook, we'll take your #1 pick and turn him into a premiership player ;)

• Like 2

No worries Chook, we'll take your #1 pick and turn him into a premiership player wink.png

ouch!

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

I think the boy can play, but WC have loads of half backs

so a few had to go. I also think Sydney can be a bit flakey down back.

Sydney keen on dumped Eagle

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/25644720/sydney-keen-on-dumped-eagle/

Axed West Coast defender Blayne Wilson will fly out on Monday to train with beaten

grand finalists Sydney as he chases an AFL lifeline in Wednesday's rookie draft.

• Like 1

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/25644720/sydney-keen-on-dumped-eagle/

Axed West Coast defender Blayne Wilson will fly out on Monday to train with beaten

grand finalists Sydney as he chases an AFL lifeline in Wednesday's rookie draft.

I think of our backline in the GF...i never want to watch that game again. And then we lost Shaw.

How did West Coast go in the draft?

• Like 1

I think of our backline in the GF...i never want to watch that game again. And then we lost Shaw.

How did West Coast go in the draft?

Mate, I always find it hard to rate the draft picks.

All of the kids get a good report, moves well in traffic, shows poise etc etc.

Having said that, I was hoping to get Nakia Cockatoo but Geelong picked him

up one pick before us. The young fella has pace to burn which is what we need.

We picked midfielders but not sure if they will add much. I was hoping for pace and

I think the kids we picked up are "safe" bets.

I was really disappointed with last years first pick Dominic Sheed. I just wanted to see

a glimmer of something special but it wasn't to be. Maybe this year will be better.

To be honest, I was hoping we would be more aggressive and look at trying to

trade and pick up a high pick from St Kilda or Melbourne.

Wasn't to be though. Finished 9th and got a middle of the road pick again.

As for next year, I can see WC finishing anywhere between 7th and 12th (again).

How did your boys go?

• Like 1

Mate, I always find it hard to rate the draft picks.

All of the kids get a good report, moves well in traffic, shows poise etc etc.

Having said that, I was hoping to get Nakia Cockatoo but Geelong picked him

up one pick before us. The young fella has pace to burn which is what we need.

We picked midfielders but not sure if they will add much. I was hoping for pace and

I think the kids we picked up are "safe" bets.

I was really disappointed with last years first pick Dominic Sheed. I just wanted to see

a glimmer of something special but it wasn't to be. Maybe this year will be better.

To be honest, I was hoping we would be more aggressive and look at trying to

trade and pick up a high pick from St Kilda or Melbourne.

Wasn't to be though. Finished 9th and got a middle of the road pick again.

As for next year, I can see WC finishing anywhere between 7th and 12th (again).

How did your boys go?

We did well. We took 3 academy players a month back then added another in the draft.

Issac Heeney

Jack Hiscox

Abaina Davis

Then we took James Rose with pick 37

Isaac Heeney is talk of the town. Another mid fielder. So i guess Mitchell can stay in reserves. or move to West Coast. Maybe Hannebery can go too.

As mentioned by Chooka. We have decided to let St Kilda develop our key forwards and we will pickthem up in 5 years

Given our trade ban, I think the boys did rather well... Heeney was an absolute steal at #18, he would've gone a lot earlier in the first round if Eddie had his way...

Be interesting to see what the pre-season draft brings along...

• Like 2