CBR 500

dogpoo

Went to Big wing and rode the bike round there big car park, not ideal but enough to feel its power and that the riding position was very comfortable, impressed with it, with the bike fully loaded with extras which came to 93k it would be just over 300k I think I can get the extras cheaper at a shop that sells all accessories for big bikes not far from where I live, also went to Kawasaki and saw the Ninja Z1000 sport tourer, wow amazing bike, considering that as well but not really suited to someone who does not drive fast, although just because you have a powerful bike it does not mean you have to drive fast, the sensible option would be the CB500X but who said I was sensible!! Oh also the VFR1200 is still at a great price 680k but the Z1000 is 50K cheaper, I'll make the right decision within the next couple of weeks!

The z800 is what 375k? seems in your budget

I sat on the Z800 and it felt just like the Ducati Monster which is awful!! Well my budget is whatever I choose to get, just have to make sure I choose the right bike for me!

Edited by dogpoo

What can't Honda Big Wing not even provide a proper test ride, Ducati Pattaya no problem, you take the bike out for a app. 20 min spin by yourself (Hyperstrada).

Consider renting a CB 500 (the model you prefer), Kawa 650 Versus and so on.

Spending 2-3000 baht on renting the bikes before committing yourself can save you heaps of money. Would be a great shame to buy the bike and then find out it's not for you.

Edited by guzzi850m2

What can't Honda Big Wing not even provide a proper test ride, Ducati Pattaya no problem, you take the bike out for a app. 20 min spin by yourself (Hyperstrada).

Consider renting a CB 500 (the model you prefer), Kawa 650 Versus and so on.

Spending 2-3000 baht on renting the bikes before committing yourself can save you heaps of money. Would be a great shame to buy the bike and then find out it's not for you.

That is the sensible thing to do, I have owned the Z1000 before so I know that is okay, I have owned the ER6n so I know the Versys will be okay, I have owned the CBR 250 so the CB500 should be fine, it's not possible to test the VFR so I guess I can rule that out! My head is saying CB500 my heart is saying the Ninja Z1000! Honestly though I am looking at either the CB500 or the Versys!

Edited by dogpoo

Yes it's always best to have to much power but power comes at a price, some off us have budgets!!

Well if the 'Kawasaki is a non starter due to the price' and you are on a budget, all this talk of Versys, CBR650, Suzuki V storm, VFR1200 or even 800, Ninja 1000SX and Z1000 is pointless. The only thing left is the CB500(R/X) so I guess that's what you should get. Good bikes by all accounts so as Nike say, 'just do it'.

Yes it's always best to have to much power but power comes at a price, some off us have budgets!!

Well if the 'Kawasaki is a non starter due to the price' and you are on a budget, all this talk of Versys, CBR650, Suzuki V storm, VFR1200 or even 800, Ninja 1000SX and Z1000 is pointless. The only thing left is the CB500(R/X) so I guess that's what you should get. Good bikes by all accounts so as Nike say, 'just do it'.

Yes, would be interesting to know what you eventually go for. Versys is in the mid 300 k range, Ninja 1000 is 629000 (integrated panniers about 50+k), add insurance etc and you are looking at 700k. This is double what you originally budgeted.

Yes, would be interesting to know what you eventually go for. Versys is in the mid 300 k range, Ninja 1000 is 629000 (integrated panniers about 50+k), add insurance etc and you are looking at 700k. This is double what you originally budgeted.

I know it is but when it comes to bikes all sense disappears with me, what can I say other than I will choose right, it's going to be a battle against my heart and head!! it's all heading towards the Versys as this is the most practical bike for what I want but next to it in the showroom is the amazing Ninja 1000, yes it will be the Versys but watch this space lol

I don't agree all the talk is pointless, the reason I am talking about so many different bikes is because I honestly don't know which to get, my budget is as little as possible, unfortunately for me I nearly always let my heart win, the Ninja is a stunning bike and it would be a great touring bike, but I doubt it would be so great in all the Phuket traffic(I had the Z1000 naked bike before and that was not good to drive in heavy traffic) which is where it would be mostly used, I would say it's 95% certain I will order the yellow Versys! Or maybe the white one which is a little bit cheaper by a couple of thousand as it is a 2013 the yellow is the 2014 model.

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

I know it is but when it comes to bikes all sense disappears with me, what can I say other than I will choose right, it's going to be a battle against my heart and head!! it's all heading towards the Versys as this is the most practical bike for what I want but next to it in the showroom is the amazing Ninja 1000, yes it will be the Versys but watch this space lol

I don't agree all the talk is pointless, the reason I am talking about so many different bikes is because I honestly don't know which to get, my budget is as little as possible, unfortunately for me I nearly always let my heart win, the Ninja is a stunning bike and it would be a great touring bike, but I doubt it would be so great in all the Phuket traffic(I had the Z1000 naked bike before and that was not good to drive in heavy traffic) which is where it would be mostly used, I would say it's 95% certain I will order the yellow Versys! Or maybe the white one which is a little bit cheaper by a couple of thousand as it is a 2013 the yellow is the 2014 model.

I take my ninja 650 in some pretty heavy traffic and I must say it handles great. Its a matter of getting used too. However if you have panniers (i do but they are detachable) then it is not so good. Otherwise a really small scooter is still better but not that much but I am not so sure a forza is better as a ninja in heavy traffic.

It all depends on how you drive and every bike will take some time to learn. I do like the seating position of my ninja 650 much more as that of my cbr250. It is a bit more upright and more comfortable on the CBR i felt less comfortable more forward leaning.

This is of course a preference that you only find out after a bit longer rides like renting a bike a few days.

I take my ninja 650 in some pretty heavy traffic and I must say it handles great. Its a matter of getting used too. However if you have panniers (i do but they are detachable) then it is not so good. Otherwise a really small scooter is still better but not that much but I am not so sure a forza is better as a ninja in heavy traffic.

It all depends on how you drive and every bike will take some time to learn. I do like the seating position of my ninja 650 much more as that of my cbr250. It is a bit more upright and more comfortable on the CBR i felt less comfortable more forward leaning.

This is of course a preference that you only find out after a bit longer rides like renting a bike a few days.

As I said before I have owned the ER6n previously so the Versys will be fine, I have sat on the new ER6n and it is identical to the one I owned a couple of years ago, also sat on the Versys and it is very similar, I am not rushing into my decision, I don't want to get a bike now that will not be suitable and that really refers to the ninja 1000, love it but it's not practical for my usage, it's got traction control and 2 power settings which I would never use as I do not like driving at high speed so that is definitely ruled out, still have the CB500X in my mind but I think it's worth spending the extra for the Versys which is a proper comfortable tourer.

@dogpoo

What made you sell the ER6n ? What changed ?

This was a couple of years ago, there was nothing wrong with the ER6n, I have this need to change often even if something is very good, I guess it's my way of keeping happy, buying and selling is addictive, god wish I was very wealthy I would buy a new car and bike every month! One day I am hoping I will stick with one thing for a long time but I am not holding my breath!!

@dogpoo

What made you sell the ER6n ? What changed ?

This was a couple of years ago, there was nothing wrong with the ER6n, I have this need to change often even if something is very good, I guess it's my way of keeping happy, buying and selling is addictive, god wish I was very wealthy I would buy a new car and bike every month! One day I am hoping I will stick with one thing for a long time but I am not holding my breath!!

Ok reasonable explanation we aren't all the same. I usually stick with something that I like especially if its as expensive as a big bike or car. You seemed happy enough with your forza.

I liked my cbr but like my ninja even more I don't see myself selling it in the near future its a fun bike though it drinks quite a bit of fuel compared to the cbr 250 but then again its 650cc.

I love the Forza, it's a great scooter, great to drive and good on fuel, servicing is very cheap, I still love driving it now but my overpowering need to change is here again, I wish I was normal like everyone else who is satisfied with there vehicle, I am a nightmare when it comes to cars and bikes, I have never owned a car for more than 2 years and never owned a bike for longer than 1 year(talking about big bike, small bike I have had for over 4 yrs, the money I have lost would bring tears to most people's eyes, It makes me happy so it can't be all bad!

Edited by dogpoo

Both my Versys and Ninja are used for touring and track days.

The Versys is much easier to set up as there are more accessories. The panniers for the Ninja are relatively small at 27 litres each and no room for top box. Versys has a more comfortable sitting position with regards to the handlebars. Haven't done much touring or mods yet with the Ninja so can't comment too much. Am going to CM - Mae Hong Son - Nan this weekend so will try to give update if possible.

post-143305-0-82837100-1386905595_thumb.

post-143305-0-59142700-1386905597_thumb.

I honestly don't know which to get, my budget is as little as possible

Since you have said this a few times,

Is a lightly used bike out of the question?

Because as I said before with so many new models & folks rushing to

be on the latest greatest thing there exists some very nice deals IMHO

Some of the bikes I see for sale are barely broken in.

Just a thought but if someone wants the most bang for the buck I

think that is where its at value wise. Most come with insurance too an additional

savings as here any time left on the insurance goes with the vehicle when sold.

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

I have been riding around today, visited Kawasaki and looked at the yellow Versys, very nice but another thing has popped up, I really do not want to drive a Manuel bike again especially in all this traffic(this is why I have been asking questions and taking my time deciding what to buy, so this now narrows my choice of bike right down to one!! The NC700 this would seem to be the perfect bike so I will be off to Honda tomorrow to see what's what, I know these bikes have been reduced recently so this could be a good choice!

I have been riding around today, visited Kawasaki and looked at the yellow Versys, very nice but another thing has popped up, I really do not want to drive a Manuel bike again especially in all this traffic(this is why I have been asking questions and taking my time deciding what to buy, so this now narrows my choice of bike right down to one!! The NC700 this would seem to be the perfect bike so I will be off to Honda tomorrow to see what's what, I know these bikes have been reduced recently so this could be a good choice!

I like the NC but what concern me is if it will take the excitement out of biking for me having a scooter like experience.

I have never considered any vehicle that I have owned to be JUST a method of getting from point A to point B.

Just my personal take on your choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose

dogpoo, why don't you go full bore and get the Ducati Hyperstrada.

You can try it for free at Ducati Pattaya.

Sad part you will order one when done, so it will cost you 550K bahtbiggrin.png .

Now this is a very fun bike to ride and light and tall too, so very good for heavy traffic.

I like the NC but what concern me is if it will take the excitement out of biking for me having a scooter like experience.

I have never considered any vehicle that I have owned to be JUST a method of getting from point A to point B.

I don't think the fun will disappear riding the NC700 my Forza is great fun and that is an out and out scooter, for a 250cc it is quick and as I don't like driving fast the top speed of around 140kph more like 120kph is fast enough for me, so I think the NC700 would be a lot of fun as well, you don't have to drive at high speeds or very fast through corners to enjoy biking, for me it's about being on a bike, good handling at whatever speed and just enjoying the hot climate whilst riding, I will take a look tomorrow!

• Like 1

dogpoo, why don't you go full bore and get the Ducati Hyperstrada.

You can try it for free at Ducati Pattaya.

Sad part you will order one when done, so it will cost you 550K bahtbiggrin.png .

Now this is a very fun bike to ride and light and tall too, so very good for heavy traffic.

Thanks for the suggestion but if I am going to part with that sort of money I would rather go for the reduced VFR1200 automatic with tiptronic gears, this would be so perfect for me but I don't really want to spend that much!!

I don't think the fun will disappear riding the NC700 my Forza is great fun and that is an out and out scooter, for a 250cc it is quick and as I don't like driving fast the top speed of around 140kph more like 120kph is fast enough for me, so I think the NC700 would be a lot of fun as well, you don't have to drive at high speeds or very fast through corners to enjoy biking, for me it's about being on a bike, good handling at whatever speed and just enjoying the hot climate whilst riding, I will take a look tomorrow!

dogpoo, no offence meant but I'm starting to wonder if you are not just trolling. If 120 kph is good enough for you and you prefer automatic gears, why bother changing from the Forza? It's ticks all your boxes and best of all, you don't have to spend a single satang.

dogpoo, no offence meant but I'm starting to wonder if you are not just trolling. If 120 kph is good enough for you and you prefer automatic gears, why bother changing from the Forza? It's ticks all your boxes and best of all, you don't have to spend a single satang.

No I'm not trolling and I am very surprised someone would jump to that conclusion, I like to change often, I have changed often ever since I have been riding bikes, I guess I am looking for the perfect machine for me, yep the Forza is awesome and it is great fun to drive but I want to change, is there anything wrong with this? Don't jump to conclusions so easily!!

i did a lot of touring with my cbr500r.

it can maintain speeds around 180 kph with panniers and a passenger in a very stable way with no shake etc.

Also can accelerate to 165 kph easily fast and lots of rolling power above 130 kph if needed

it climbed mountains, go through inclines and bike performed great all teh time and no glitches.

cbr500r is also a lot comfy to tour especially with a higher wind screen besides it is sporty too!

but if touring and more comfort with commanding relaxed position, i recommend honda cb500x. if touring with more sporting intentions than cbr500r.

you cannot go wrong with any of those 500 series.

you can commute to work, ride to track 200 kms and do track day at the same day with honda cbr500r which is great!

check one of my threads from before about a tour i made with my cbr500r to my gf's village close Lao border with my cowboy bagsbiggrin.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632528-my-steed-is-ready-to-go/page-2?hl=%2Bmy+%2Bsteed+%2Bis+%2Bready+%2Bto+%2Bgo#entry6318942

LL There is no way it will maintain speeds with 180 kph specially with panniers and a passanger. I maxed it out on a straight here to 180 barely hitting it. From 170 it took ages to get to 180 and thats with only me and no panniers. Also on a motorway if a pick up is rolling at 120-130 getting over it QUICKLY wont be as easy as it sounds.

Unless you have changed, pipe, ecu, air filters, tyres, dropped some weight off the bike then Maybe.

For cruising I would recommend 500X very comfortable. But idealy Versys.

nc700x is a real good value for 350 k with dual clutch auto. and believe me guys, i tested it and surprised how smooth the tranny was and it is sporty enough as you can change teh gears with two small levers. But even in auto mod, the gear changes were on time and sporty enough.

Only problem for me, it is a 230 kg bike but if you just ride straight, it might be a good thing.

it is also very comfy and had a very torquey engine. 6800 rpm redline sucks though but torque makes things sweet.

nc700x is a real good value for 350 k with dual clutch auto. and believe me guys, i tested it and surprised how smooth the tranny was and it is sporty enough as you can change teh gears with two small levers. But even in auto mod, the gear changes were on time and sporty enough.

Only problem for me, it is a 230 kg bike but if you just ride straight, it might be a good thing.

it is also very comfy and had a very torquey engine. 6800 rpm redline sucks though but torque makes things sweet.

If you watch YouTube and the top speed test this bike gets there quickly, sounds good and looks like it handles very well! I'll take a look tomorrow!