Up To You.

jvs

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Up to you," can also mean that she is being the subservient one and you are the boss -so make the decision; but you will have to live with the consequences. So she is allowed to use any means at hand to make your life miserable because you made the wrong decision.

It can also mean, "enough talk,"; she is through with advising and hinting and so you have to take action, whichever way you feel is right; and she will go along with you whatever you decide. But she is not to blame for the outcome.

It could be interpreted as, "you are the one at the plate: swing on the pitch or let it go by - your call." But, you will have to live with the result

It could be a gentle reminder that the ball is in your court. Make your move.

It could be, like "here I am." So make your move.

If it's your wife/gf it means 'you better make the right choice' biggrin.png

True. It's similar to when an American wife/gf says, "Fine. Do whatever you want." You'd damn well better NOT do whatever you want. "Up to you" can frequently be female code for, "You know what I want, so if you want peace to continue, then, bucko, you'd better make me happy."

whistling.gif

Edited by Traveler19491
  • Like 2

"It's up to you!" This often used in a more generic context, where one often wishes to encourage someone who holds the key to success in whatever endeavor is being talked about. It should also be noted that this phrase could simply imply, "the choice is yours." -coffee1.gif

The usual way to interpret this as an American would be 'you suck as a man because you can't make a decision' or something to that effect. A spineless indecisive man.

In Thailand I have found it to have a literal meaning. Like on a date a not to subtle hint to escalate, or another way of saying 'let's go back to your place'.

"up to you" when spoken by any woman in any language means "Make the right decision - or suffer the consequences!"

"laeow dtae khun" can mean it really is "up to you" or as above.

"Dum jai" also means "up to you" but in a really pissed off way.

Those who live here all know the expression 'up to you' but what does it really mean to you?

Look up "Krenjai" all will be revealed

Look up where? or is this Bosnian wub.png

Edited by laislica

In traditional Thai surroundings (FAMILY/Relationships) the male/husband/provider makes the decisions.

To involve a Thai-Female in a decision-making process is a Farang import product of recent times. For a traditionally raised Thai-femele this is nothing but confusing, so the "escape-hatch" is usually the very familiar "UP TO YOU".

On the other side, ladies with frequent Farang-Encounters discover soon, that for some strange reasons, Farangs constantly ask them about "what do you think about this and that" and "how should we do this and that". (Something they hardly ever hear from a Thai-male.)

So, understandably, Farangs in certain areas are still very welcome. Helloo sexy man etc etc biggrin.png

Cheers

When Mrs. T says up to you, it means the decision has already been made and I have to discern it based on clues so obscure, Sherlock Holmes himself would be thwarted.

I put down my beer, wake my mind from its slumber, think frantically, then announce "my" decision while putting on my best puppy face—and hope for the best.

T

• Like 1

When Mrs. T says up to you, it means the decision has already been made and I have to discern it based on clues so obscure, Sherlock Holmes himself would be thwarted.

I put down my beer, wake my mind from its slumber, think frantically, then announce "my" decision while putting on my best puppy face—and hope for the best.

T

I just fake a heart attack, it really works....................thumbsup.gif ......................smile.png

• Like 1

In most cases there are two forms of questions for the response up to you.

First form, yes or no answer: Example - Hon, do you want to go out to dinner tonight? Usually easy to pick up the cue as to the correct reply. You know, does she look tired, is she already cooking, etc.

Second form, two option questions: Example - Hon, do you want to go to Burger King or McDonalds for our wedding anniversary. In this case there is no correct answer as you are in hot water either way. wink.png

up to you means just up to you, it is general teaching english in thailand after 8 year i not hear it

It's entirely situational, you can usually tell by looking at their eyes or facial expression.

If they seem indifferent, it means that you can make the choice. If they seem angry or look like they might flip a table, it means you're going to get murdered if you can't read their mind.

• Like 1

It is generally accepted by the expat community in Indonesia that it means No as it is impolite to actually say No.

I always thought in Thailand it was more of a "I cant make a decision" thing.

I tend to agree with that, in addition to the fact that I have the impression that Asians in general have a severely limited sense of "accountability". That's the reason why they always try to find someone else to blame, whenever they make a mistake. No loss of FACEwhistling.gif

My Thai wife and I quickly overcame the confusion of the meaning of "up to you" by adding a one word suffix: either "England" or "Thailand". The first meaning "your choice, no problem" and the second, as others have already stated, basically meaning "my choice or big problem".

• Like 1

It shows that she is easy and will be happy with whatever your decision is.

Wrong! It means that she will not take the "responsibility" of making a decision. Period!

Ah...NO! She gave him the chance to make the decision. She will accept whatever the choice he made. Believe me, as a Thai woman, when I do not like it and don't want it, I will make sure you know it. There is no hidden word for you to figure it out. I am sure your Thai wife/GF will back me up on this. If we do not like it, we will make sure you know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

English is not my first language, but " up to you " sounds a bit rude to my ears.

I wonder how it sounds to a native speaker..

I guess i would not allow some pretty woman to hit me with more than a couple of " up to you " a year...

... Well, depends on how pretty she is ..whistling.gif

Up to you doesn't usually mean 'up to you'. It is a phrase that has stuck but someone translated it wrong.

It often means 'arai godai' or 'whatever'. I think 'gaw chang' is the correct translation of 'up to you'

'Laew dtae' means something like depends on you.

I like 'dtaam jai koon' for up to you, meaning follow your heart. This is said when the person really means, up to you.

Incidentally, Shakespeare's "As you like it" in Thai is dtam jai than

When I hear a Thai woman say 'up to you' I think it really translates as " you're the man don't be such a codependent woose and make a decision'

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

As some one who grew up with thee sisters, has a daughter who just turn 18, and is married for the second time, to a wonderful Thai lady, let me tell you(as many other successfully married man have already said in this thread)

IT IS CERTAINLY, NOT UP TO YOU

It is a passive aggressive term designed to convey respect and allow you the opportunity to do the "right thing" . Like cigarettes it is a phrase that should come with the flowing warning.

WARNING: the surgeon general has determined that taking the phrase "mai pen rai" from a woman literally, could be dangerous to your health.

• Like 1

It is generally accepted by the expat community in Indonesia that it means No as it is impolite to actually say No.

I always thought in Thailand it was more of a "I cant make a decision" thing.

It is. Did you know that 50% of the Thai language relates to expressions of indifference?
who cares?
  • Like 2

This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word

is 'UP.' It is listed in the

dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky

or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we

wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do

we speak UP, and why are the

officers UP for

election and why is it UP to the secretary to

write UP a

report? We call UP our friends,

brighten UP a room, polish UP the

silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We

lock UP the house and

fix UP the old

car.

At other times this little word has real special

meaning. People stir UP trouble,

line UP for

tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one

thing but to be dressed UP is

special.

And this UP is confusing: A

drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We

open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at

night. We seem to be pretty mixed

UP about UP !

To be

knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look UP the word UP in the dictionary.. In a desk-sized

dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about

thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may

wind UP with a hundred or

more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is

clouding UP. When the sun comes out

we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it

soaks UP the

earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on & on, but I'll wrap

it UP, for now ........my time is UP !

Oh....one more thing:

What is the first thing you

do in the morning & the last thing you do at

night?

U

P !

Did that one crack you UP?

Don't screw UP. Send this on to everyone you look UP in your address book..or not...it's UP to you.

Now I'll shut UP !- w00t.gif

up yours
  • Like 1