Up To You.

jvs

Those who live here all know the expression 'up to you' but what does it really mean to you?

Imo the range goes from ;i really don"t care ' and the tone of voice also gives you a clue,to 'it is you who can decide and i will be happy with whatever you choose'.

Why do the Thai people use it,maybe they don't want to order a type of food because they do not know if you like it or maybe it is too expensive.

Like i said there can be many different applications,what is your view?

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it all the time. It means I don't care about equal alternatives. I say it in English and I say it in Thai.

Yesterday we went out for coffee and had a choice of Starbucks, Au Bon Pain or MacDonalds. "I said, Up to you."

It is the same as any other country except for people new to Thailand.

how do you say Up to You in Thai?? ..I have been told several different ways but I just get funny looks when I try to say it in Thai.....of course could be my mangled pronunciation....

• Like 1

It is generally accepted by the expat community in Indonesia that it means No as it is impolite to actually say No.

I always thought in Thailand it was more of a "I cant make a decision" thing.

It is. Did you know that 50% of the Thai language relates to expressions of indifference?

• Like 1

I say it all the time. It means I don't care about equal alternatives. I say it in English and I say it in Thai.

Yesterday we went out for coffee and had a choice of Starbucks, Au Bon Pain or MacDonalds. "I said, Up to you."

how do you say Up to You in Thai?? ..I have been told several different ways but I just get funny looks when I try to say it in Thai.....of course could be my mangled pronunciation....

"Lairo dare khun" is the one you hear most often. http://www.thai-language.com/id/197728

First time in a conversation it means - "here is your opportunity to offer an opinion". Second time it means "stop messing about and make a decision". At least that's what I usually mean by it. :)

Except when it's about money. In that case it means - "You look the sort who will pay well in order to avoid causing offense and/or losing face. And if you don't, no problem! I'll let you know if that happens!".

• Like 1

It is generally accepted by the expat community in Indonesia that it means No as it is impolite to actually say No.

It is. Did you know that 50% of the Thai language relates to expressions of indifference?

I find that hard to believe. Do you have a link? Or did you make it up and it's supposed to be funny?

• Like 1

Sorry if I am a bit skeptical of your info, can you show some sort of proof?

• Like 1

I have noticed that it gets a funny reaction here, in English or in Thai. I can't imagine people in the West laughing because of it, unless there was something else happening. Here, it seems to make people laugh. I have heard teens say it in a joking/sarcastic way and adults use it when they are angry and actually kind of telling you to go away.

My little pet theory is that, as people here aim to do things together that in the West would be more individualistic, asserting your idea might make people mad at you and they will say "up to you" as a way to mean "fine, don't go along with the group....see if we care" or something like that. I think that some people try to use this meaning to "show" that they have the group behind them when they are actually the ones who are insisting (kind of like a reverse psychology trick or something).

Anyway, not sure....just something I am concocted after seeing how people use the expression here. In most contexts in the US, it is used in a positive context, but I see it used in a more negative one here.

I think the best way to put it would be "if you want".

• Like 2

In most cases there are two forms of questions for the response up to you.

First form, yes or no answer: Example - Hon, do you want to go out to dinner tonight? Usually easy to pick up the cue as to the correct reply. You know, does she look tired, is she already cooking, etc.

Second form, two option questions: Example - Hon, do you want to go to Burger King or McDonalds for our wedding anniversary. In this case there is no correct answer as you are in hot water either way. wink.png

My wife would never use the second form. Even if it was our wedding anniversary she would use the first form, just to check if I had remembered the day.

The correct answer in that case would be

'Iv'e already arranged a special meal at ( favourite restaurant), have you forgotten what today is ?'

One up to Mr Thaiddown.