Non Immigrant 'o'

Hi there

Just want to get one thing straight in my head.

I recently married a Thai and will remain here in Thailand. Am I correct in thinking that if I go to KL I can get a one year non-immigrant 'o' visa and all I need to take is:

My passport

Birth certificate

Marriage certificate

Photo's and fees

Bank book showing that I have 400 000 baht in my thai account.

They will then issue me with a visa that allows multiple entries and I must leave every 3 months to a maximum of four times?

Many thanks for helping me get this straight in my head.

If you have the money for an extension of stay why are you looking for a multi entry visa? If you have employment here or income from overseas such as retirement you should be able to extend a valid non immigrant visa entry for one year at a time under the support Thai wife provisions from immigration.

For a non immigrant visa from KL you will likely require your passport/photo(s)/copy of marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and pay fees. I would take the other things as backup but they probably will not be required.

The multi entry allows unlimited entries during the time it is valid and each entry can be for up to 90 days.

Thanks Lopburi

I currently don't have any income besides the 400k I will have in my bank. Can I get a visa for support Thai wife in that case. I am not retired (oh if only!) only being 33 and am currently setting up a business in the UK to be run from home at BKK. Can I get the supporting a thai wife visa from KL as well?

Many thanks for your help, you would think that a career in travelling would have helped me figure all of this out, but alas no. Like the Bangkok roads, I simply cannot get my head around the thai visa situation. It is kind people like yourself that help us plebs get on in life.

Many many thanks

Si

If you have the money for an extension of stay why are you looking for a multi entry visa? If you have employment here or income from overseas such as retirement you should be able to extend a valid non immigrant visa entry for one year at a time under the support Thai wife provisions from immigration.

For a non immigrant visa from KL you will likely require your passport/photo(s)/copy of marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and pay fees. I would take the other things as backup but they probably will not be required.

The multi entry allows unlimited entries during the time it is valid and each entry can be for up to 90 days.

What you should be able to obtain in KL is a multi entry non immigrant O visa to visit family (wife). There is no support requirement for that but it will not hurt to take your bank book with you. As for getting the support Thai wife extension of stay (from immigration) believe you would likely run into problems without a job/source of overseas income as shown by deposits to your account and not travelling (as oil workers do). But you could apply during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry - all they can do is say no and they may well say yes on a first application. If not it would be back to 3 month visa runs. The one thing you will probably have to do during the under review period is to keep the account above 400k. The review normally takes about 45 days in Bangkok. But at age 33 the 3 month visa runs are probably not that great a burden in any case.

I've never had to show more than:

Passport

Marriage Registration - original + copy (the one with the witnesses signatures)

Marriage Certificate - original + copy (the ornate one)

copy of wife's ID card

£90 for the 1 year multi-entry visa.

(One year - I even got the visa without having the copy of the wife's ID card - as she was in Thailand at the time and I'd forgotten to take a copy with me.)

Admittedly - that's always been at the embassy in London - but I've never had to show I had sufficient funds...

Ok, I'll bite, what exactly are you are calling "marriage registration" as the only document I ever received was the normal (blue then) marriage certificate. Nor have I ever been asked for any such document. Or are you talking about something to do with the UK.