Excise tax collection below goals: Thailand

webfact

Excise Tax Collection Below Goals
By Khaosod Online

ex.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Excise Department Director-General, Mr. Somchai Wongsawat, said on Monday that excise tax collected in Q1 of the 2014 fiscal year falls beneath its goal.

According to Mr. Somchai, the main resource for excise tax comes from alcoholic beverage, and the Department had initially expected to collect large number of such tax in this period as many Thai and foreign tourists are celebrating the festive season.

“November to December is our high tax collection season”, said Mr. Somchai “however, the current political situation have affected our performance.”

Mr. Somchai said the political crisis led to fewer number of domestic Thai tourists and foreign tourists alike, which in turn led to fewer travels, fewer celebrations, and fewer purchases of alcohol.

Reportedly, the tax exemption enacted by the government’s populist first-car scheme also lowered amount of vehicle tax collected.

Nevertheless, Mr. Somchai said he will discuss the issue with representatives of the private sector for a solution.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5qYzBNalV3TVE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-11

Quote: "Mr. Somchai said the political crisis led to fewer number of domestic Thai tourists and foreign tourists alike, which in turn led to fewer travels, fewer celebrations, and fewer purchases of alcohol."

Wasn't that the real goal as stated before? To discourage people from drinking?

Guess what, It worked....

No... you misunderstood.

Foreign tourist drink more alcohol = good, as foreign healthcare will shoulder any long term costs.

Thai tourist drink more alcohol = bad, as Thai healthcare will shoulder any long term health costs.

I personally like the two key assumptions;

1) That only tourists drink (either Thai or Foreign). Surely the most prevalent group of drinkers are those having a beer or two after work or at the weekend? Not tourists?

2) That people drink less as there are fewer celebrations. Maybe people are drinking less, drinking less frequently or are drinking cheaper drinks (hence less tax) as the cost of living has increased significantly and people are cutting back.

• Like 2

As the price of wine has increased sharply in some places, I've noticed more black markets opening up. More people who can get my wine cheaply on the side.

(Of course I declined as I'm mad for paying over inflated taxes)

Seems as if you can't have your cake and eat it in a country with little or no rule of law.

• Like 1

As the price of wine has increased sharply in some places, I've noticed more black markets opening up. More people who can get my wine cheaply on the side.

Seems as if you can't have your cake and eat it in a country with little or no rule of law.

Quote: "Mr. Somchai said the political crisis led to fewer number of domestic Thai tourists and foreign tourists alike, which in turn led to fewer travels, fewer celebrations, and fewer purchases of alcohol."

Wasn't that the real goal as stated before? To discourage people from drinking?

Guess what, It worked....

A nation that relies on alcohol duties to fill it's coffers, says it all really.

mind you I thought the OP was going to go on and accuse Suthep for the shortfall, re his comments of not to pay taxes etc.

Edited by ggold

BANGKOK: -- Excise Department Director-General, Mr. Somchai Wongsawat, said on Monday that excise tax collected in Q1 of the 2014 fiscal year falls beneath its goal.

Don't worry too much Mr. Somchai.....just charge another 1,000 Baht every incoming and outgoing farang and your problem is solved!!!!!!

Simple.

A month ago there was the news of rising tax on imported alcoholic drinks up to 200 % on the sales (retail) price, i have heard from importers who send full containers back, that's before paying exile tax, so there is the problem.

Somchai Wongsawat might be interested to know, that we (we run restaurants) have been contacted all of a sudden out of the blue with some "attractive" wine offers from Sattahip and Swampy.

For obvious reasons we cannot cater to such business dealings as we (idiots) go by the books but I wonder if this jacking-up of excise was done less for the purpose of bringing in more money into the state's coffers ………

His tax collection group failed to meet forecast revenue goals and he is going to the private sector to find a solution???? Why not just admit he will contact BIL for futher instructions. Does anyone in this family hold a real job, you know, where you generate private sector income, pay tax on same and contribute to the economic well being of the country????

• Like 2

This can't be the same Somchai Wongsawat can it? The one that was banned for politics for 5 years? Thaksin's brother in law, milquetoast husband of Yaowapa, is in charge of collecting tax revenue for the country of Thailand? Surely not.

Wow - I think this is the first time a post on TV has had me going off to a dictionary. Very nice word. thumbsup.gif

"Reportedly, the tax exemption enacted by the government’s populist first-car scheme also lowered amount of vehicle tax collected."

It's almost as if this as a real surprise rolleyes.gif

PS wasn't the excise tax paid, but (would) be redeemed up to 100,000 Baht depending on model ? Or is the poor man complaining that the first-car scheme let to less sales after?

Explains why the b&$&*(ds robbed me of 20 quid import duty on me annual Xmas hamper from the folks back home. Never been charged before but suppose they gotta keep up the graft quota.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I wish you a Joyous Christmas and Happy New Year.

"The legacy we build and leave behind is best constructed using the mortar of kindness and forgiveness."

Edited by Benmart

"according to Mr. Somchai, the main resource for excise tax comes from alcoholic beverage,"
Come on man.
Who has introduced/changed the curfews and the pubs opening times?
And boost corruption money for some officals "to stretch" the opening times.

Edited by tomacht8

If the government wants to increase excise tax collection, why don't they start by lifting the ban on mid afternoon alcohol sale?

I don't understand why shops can only sell alcohol at specific times (11am to 2pm and 5pm to midnight).

Edited by peterbkk9

This can't be the same Somchai Wongsawat can it? The one that was banned for politics for 5 years? Thaksin's brother in law, milquetoast husband of Yaowapa, is in charge of collecting tax revenue for the country of Thailand? Surely not.

Yes the brother of his Wife introduced the curfew 2004 for the pubs 2am.

Ask him!

If the bars could open longer again, then would more alcohol tax coming in,

but that would also mean,that some officials of the exicutive will lose there tea money then.

There are a lot of family members here are busy to collect and disburse thailands state money.

Guess that has something to do with the protests, can this be?

Edited by tomacht8

I blame these bloody greedy farang tourists will be the ruination of this wonderful country what we need is more drunken tourists to take in the taxes quicker, I’ll drink to that, provided it’s at the right time allowed for buying beer.

Probably tax is being paid, it is just not reaching the right department.

If Thailand were to lock up all it corrupt politicians and government officials who would be left to run the country?

In all seriousness, the taxes are being paid and everyone's playing by the book. However, the cheeky bar stewards will come down on you like a tonne of bricks if your paperwork is not to the letter..

Add also that given the dust is still settling on this new tax, things are still a little complicated...

Like most things in Thailand it will correct itself, somewhere, somehow...