Changes to British passport services in Thailand

This proof of residence fiasco makes me so angry. They have absolutely NO WAY of legally checking any proof you can come up with so why bother ? This is Thailand ! The UK passport agency have no jurisdiction here.

I can "prove" that I live in the UK , but I don't.

Edited by parryhandy

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This proof of residence fiasco makes me so angry. They have absolutely NO WAY of legally checking any proof you can come up with so why bother ? This is Thailand ! The UK passport agency have no jurisdiction here.

I can "prove" that I live in the UK , but I don't.

The only way that they can prove that I live here some 400km form Bangkok it for somebody in the embassy to actually come up here and find me.

The altenative of course is to ask the Immigration police to travel 125 km each way to find me or to get the RTP to get their local boys to look for me and that is only 6 km.

I can't see the authorities in Thailand doing that for the UK government somehow.

Even the embassy takes my word for where I live.

The problem is that the UKPA is trying to apply a "one size fits all" rule without takin into accout the realities or practicalities of the real world outside of their office walls.

If you think you have a problem imagine what it must be like if you live on a boat sailing where and when you want to and staying as short or as long as you wish.

Well the passport office finally rang me and we got no where really as regards a solution. Send us what you have (nothing) and the examiner will take it from there.I put forward the idea of our utility bills which are in the wife's name and providing a copy of our marriage certificate and the non o visa based on marriage which I am on. Nope they don't take utility bills.

He came up with the idea of a letter from my daughters school (yes a private school is somehow better than a utility company) addressed to me (which I will probably write myself).

I asked him if I was a gap year student on the 1st month of a years trip around Asia and lost my passport what would happen ? He then kept repeating every case would be treated on its merits blah blah .

I think you should talk to the embassy about getting a proof of residence letter like they do to get a drivers license.

If that's what they want they should have said and they may as well just send the passport to the embassy for me to collect. Either way they still have to trust the embassies at some point.

Anybody else out there found solutions yet ?

Edited by parryhandy

I think you should talk to the embassy about getting a proof of residence letter like they do to get a drivers license.

If that's what they want they should have said and they may as well just send the passport to the embassy for me to collect. Either way they still have to trust the embassies at some point.

But your missing the point over what they are trying to do

This is all about cost saving, doing it through an embassy increases the costs cos they have to pay someone

What has happened here is that some accountant has stated cut costs and people have jumped in with a knee jerk requirement and not fully thought the process through, this is the reason why they can't answer your questions cos they don't know how to deal with things either

• Like 1

Copy of TM7 or

P60 or

Proof of address from Immigration as per driving licence or

Thai bank statement

All of which are do-able and free of charge.

Edited by evadgib

Copy of TM7 or

P60 or

Proof of address from Immigration as per driving licence or

Thai bank statement

All of which are do-able and free of charge.

I'm on multiple entry non o visa so no Tm7,no idea what a P 60 is,my landlord I never see as we deal with an agent and there's no contract etc which I imagine suits her for tax reasons and I have a Thai savings book with Krung Thai bank which does not have my address on it .NOTHING IS FREE especially renewing a UK passport.

Thanks very much for the info on / links to, the new changes in UK passport application. I didn't know there were any.

I am left in a dilemma with regards to me eldest 11 year old daughter (proof of residing address) who is residing in Thailand (we, her parents are living in Malaysia). To cut a long story short, my girl isn't in school as she has a severe mental disability, so I can't produce any school record.

Also, she is staying with her Grandparents who do not reside at the same address as in her name in our Tambien Bahn. She has no medical card to speak of.

The only way (I can think of) to send proof of her residence address is have the Poo Yai Bahn of where she is living, write a letter, which will then need to be translated to English and endorsed by a notary public / lawyer.

There is another option though, which is not to renew the passport at this time. She isn't going to be travelling to the UK in foreseeable future and due to the severity of her condition I doubt she will travelling out of Thailand much at all (she is now with us in KL for a month on the Thai passport).

I am glad I read the info on here today.

Merry Christmas

"Your application will take 4 weeks from when its received by Her Majestys Passport Office in the UK Slower than before

"Your passport and supporting documents will be returned to you by courier."

It appears you have to submit your original passport, rather than a photocopy as currently - even though we're required to have our passport with us at all times in Thailand.

The new passport!

• 2 weeks later...

By comparison, for a Japanese passport renewal, it takes 2 working days, and it's all completed in Bangkok. I suspect many other countries are more helpful to its citizens. One really wonders what the point is of British Embassies and Consulates throughout the world.

One really wonders what the point is of British Embassies and Consulates throughout the world.

To serve as tradeposts for businesses and multinationals.

• Like 1

The only reason why the government wants an evidence of residence is to know exactly where you are!!

Before they had no control of their overseas citizens and didn't know where they were.

Another act of freedom robbing.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated wink.png

I am unhappy with the service now provided by British Embassies/ Consulates.

I also dislike the web site which is difficult to navigate.

I have registered complaints with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Home Office, William Hague and Theresa May .

All complaints have also been copied to the Prime Minister and my previous MP.

What I have not done is write rather stupid comments on a forum which may make the poster feel smart but will do little to secure change.

Edited by Sceptict11

From the previous post:

What I have not done is write rather stupid comments on a forum which may make the poster feel smart but will do little to secure change.

Yet you have written to 2x Govt Offices, 3x Ministers and an MP causing considerably more man hours to be lost that the folly you have allegedly ridiculed?

This is known as the "Claymore" approach; everyone gets a bit!

home.jpg

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

From the previous post:

Yet you have written to 2x Govt Offices, 3x Ministers and an MP causing considerably more man hours to be lost that the folly you have allegedly ridiculed?

You might want to google the word "Claymore" (everyone gets a bit!)

So from that unremarkable comment I gather that if something displeases one the thing to do is not complain but to post an inane comment on a forum !

Stand by that nonsense and change the world !clap2.gif

The only reason why the government wants an evidence of residence is to know exactly where you are!!

Before they had no control of their overseas citizens and didn't know where they were.

Maybe they after trying to catch the dole scroungers,and pensioners,claiming heating allowance,etc etc,whilst staying in Thailand for winter

• Like 1

I am unhappy with the service now provided by British Embassies/ Consulates.

I also dislike the web site which is difficult to navigate.

I have registered complaints with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Home Office, William Hague and Theresa May .

All complaints have also been copied to the Prime Minister and my previous MP.

Do you really think that the government cares about your opinion? Lol.

Just an example how they patronize serious complaints, this is an email I received back today from HMPO:

Dear Mr Green

Thank you for your enquiry.

Fees charged to British citizens applying overseas are based on the current costs of providing the service. As overseasvolumes are much less than UK volumes it is harder to gain efficiencies overseas. That is why we have taken the decision to repatriate the issuing of overseas passports to the UK. Once this has been completed in 2014 Her Majesty's Passport Office will be seeking to create closer alignment between the two sets of fees.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team

Maybe they after trying to catch the dole scroungers,and pensioners,claiming heating allowance,etc etc,whilst staying in Thailand for winter

Something I would support 100%.

I still pay tax in the UK and resent every pence which lands in the lap of workshy benefit scroungers/forgers.

I still pay tax in the UK and resent every pence which lands in the lap of workshy benefit scroungers/forgers.

Who in their right mind would still pay taxes to HM while living in another country? hahaha

I am talking about people who have no ties with the motherland at all anymore so that means also not needing their shitty dole or pension.

What about people who are totally self-sufficient but need to renew their passport every now and again?

What about travellers who have decided to go travelling for a long periode of time?

Stop sticking your necks out for a government that doesn't give an iota about you! Wake up oldtimer

Who in their right mind would still pay taxes to HM while living in another country? hahaha

I am talking about people who have no ties with the motherland at all anymore so that means also not needing their shitty dole or pension.

What about people who are totally self-sufficient but need to renew their passport every now and again?

What about travellers who have decided to go travelling for a long periode of time?

Stop sticking your necks out for a government that doesn't give an iota about you! Wake up oldtimer

So pleased to learn that some are independently wealthy !

I pay tax because my occupational pension derives from the UK and exceeds the tax threshold by many thousands of pounds.

Being "self sufficient" ( what does that mean ?) and needing assistance from the UK government for a passport renewal is a fact of life if one is British.

If you somehow believe the service to be substandard posting here will not secure any change .

Oh ---------and less of the "old timer" abuse please.

• Like 1

So pleased to learn that some are independently wealthy !

I pay tax because my occupational pension derives from the UK and exceeds the tax threshold by many thousands of pounds.

Being "self sufficient" ( what does that mean ?) and needing assistance from the UK government for a passport renewal is a fact of life if one is British.

If you somehow believe the service to be substandard posting here will not secure any change .

Oh ---------and less of the "old timer" abuse please.

The service is non-existent mate. They don't even have the common decency to have a consulate for their citizens overseas.

What kind of country doesn't care about their citizens? Think about it for a while.

Especially for people like yourself that are still paying taxes and most likely worked hard for 30 years or more and contributed to the UK economy. They treat you like a second class citizen too.

To them it makes no difference if you are a law abiding citizen or a dole abuser.

I am surprised that you don't think this service is way below substandard! Unless you are ex-civil servant industry...rolleyes.gif or other government related work.

TV is a forum for expats to express all kinds of opinions, feelings, information and whatever else. Many people that post something are not wanting to change anything, they just want to express their discontent with something and many couldn't care less what happens back 'home'. I am one of them and I don't want to change anything over there. Why even bother? The country is run by a bunch of bankers and elitists.

I am also surprised that you see old timer as abuse! It just means old fashioned.

Edited by DaveinAsia

Why not just send your old passport to a relative/friend in the UK with one item (I have a birth cert for instance) and have them post your handwritten downloaded application and docs to the passport office in the UK, then have them (friend/relative) send by registered post back to you here in Thailand? Seems less hassle/cheaper to me.

• Like 1

Why not just send your old passport to a relative/friend in the UK with one item (I have a birth cert for instance) and have them post your handwritten downloaded application and docs to the passport office in the UK, then have them (friend/relative) send by registered post back to you here in Thailand? Seems less hassle/cheaper to me.

Why not? It's illegal. You're required to have your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Plus when it comes to transferring your extension of stay to the new passport Immigration will pick up on what you've done.

Why not? It's illegal. You're required to have your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Plus when it comes to transferring your extension of stay to the new passport Immigration will pick up on what you've done.

Buttttt, if your 'extension of stay' has expired around the same time as the need for renewal of your passport, you could simply apply for a new 'extension of stay' when it gets back to Thailand, no?

Buttttt, if your 'extension of stay' has expired around the same time as the need for renewal of your passport, you could simply apply for a new 'extension of stay' when it gets back to Thailand, no?

Interesting point. Previously a new passport issued from Thailand would show as being issued by FCO, rather than the passport office. Not sure whether this will continue. And if not, how will Immigration be able to tell the passport has been sent out of the country to be replaced?

Interesting point. Previously a new passport issued from Thailand would show as being issued by FCO, rather than the passport office. Not sure whether this will continue. And if not, how will Immigration be able to tell the passport has been sent out of the country to be replaced?

Just got my new pp back a week ago, its issued via the pp office not FCO

QlguYeu.jpg

What strikes me as utterly bizarre is that for the "name and address" evidence is that documents such as visa, baptismal certificate, medical card and immigration documents are most unlikely to show your current address.

As for a school report and parents' death certificate, how are they even remotely relevant?

As for myself, I don't pay any tax anywhere in the world. I'm not employed. I have no dealings with any government department. I can't vote here. According to that list there's simply no way for me to prove my address. I've faced a similar problem opening various accounts, and for those the only proof I've been able to provide is bank statements from offshore banks, which appear to be unacceptable to the mandarins of the passport "service". I can only hope that the incompetents "managing" this service come to realise that what they're trying to implement is simply unworkable.

Looking at this list don't think anything has changed if you are applying from thailand as you would be able to provide a copy of your "visa" or you may even have a residence certificate for thailand, you only need to provide one item from each part of the list which is what you were effectively doing when sending to HK ie copy of pp data page and copy of your Thai visa anyway

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many of us have a current visa [with many Thai Extns-of-stay thereafter] but, e.g., mine is dated 2009 & they specify that this 'proof of address' must be less than a year old. I doubt they would accept this. I must be missing something as they will not accept a letter from, say, my pension fund but they will accept a school report as evidence of address or my birth cert, both of which are well north of half a century old.

Also, I guess that my expiring passport colour xerox copies will be OK as photo evidence.

And, who is their courier? Will the passport arrive safely?

QlguYeu.jpg

What strikes me as utterly bizarre is that for the "name and address" evidence is that documents such as visa, baptismal certificate, medical card and immigration documents are most unlikely to show your current address.

As for a school report and parents' death certificate, how are they even remotely relevant?

As for myself, I don't pay any tax anywhere in the world. I'm not employed. I have no dealings with any government department. I can't vote here. According to that list there's simply no way for me to prove my address. I've faced a similar problem opening various accounts, and for those the only proof I've been able to provide is bank statements from offshore banks, which appear to be unacceptable to the mandarins of the passport "service". I can only hope that the incompetents "managing" this service come to realise that what they're trying to implement is simply unworkable.

Looking at this list don't think anything has changed if you are applying from thailand as you would be able to provide a copy of your "visa" or you may even have a residence certificate for thailand, you only need to provide one item from each part of the list which is what you were effectively doing when sending to HK ie copy of pp data page and copy of your Thai visa anyway

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many of us have a current visa [with many Thai Extns-of-stay thereafter] but, e.g., mine is dated 2009 & they specify that this 'proof of address' must be less than a year old. I doubt they would accept this. I must be missing something as they will not accept a letter from, say, my pension fund but they will accept a school report as evidence of address or my birth cert, both of which are well north of half a century old.

Also, I guess that my expiring passport colour xerox copies will be OK as photo evidence.

And, who is their courier? Will the passport arrive safely?

I only sent a copy of my current extension of stay and the data page of my current full PP, and got my new pp back from the UK 2nd Jan

Their courier is DHL and yes the pp will arrive safely, my last visa for Thailand was some 9 years ago and have been on extensions for employment...so dont panic,

talking to somebody else i know, the table A, covers a multitude of sins including new applications not just renewal, and the table assumes someone is resident in the UK, hence the references to school records/baptism certificates, in other words some sort of evidence of your connection with UK, if they choose to check, to ensure new applicants are entitled to a UK passport....basically they have cut and pasted this table from somewhere else, it hasnt been drawn up for oversea's applicants

With a renewal, you have already been vetted and in the system, so a copy of your full or expiring PP fullfills the photo evidence, and the visa or extension of stay fullfills the name and address evidence it appears

• Like 1

I only sent a copy of my current extension of stay and the data page of my current full PP, and got my new pp back from the UK 2nd Jan

Their courier is DHL and yes the pp will arrive safely, my last visa for Thailand was some 9 years ago and have been on extensions for employment...so dont panic,

talking to somebody else i know, the table A, covers a multitude of sins including new applications not just renewal, and the table assumes someone is resident in the UK, hence the references to school records/baptism certificates, in other words some sort of evidence of your connection with UK, if they choose to check, to ensure new applicants are entitled to a UK passport....basically they have cut and pasted this table from somewhere else, it hasnt been drawn up for oversea's applicants

With a renewal, you have already been vetted and in the system, so a copy of your full or expiring PP fullfills the photo evidence, and the visa or extension of stay fullfills the name and address evidence it appears

This is very interesting, as I was told the opposite when I phoned up the helpline recently.

Since we're required to keep our passports with us at all times, I was told I'd need to send full-colour photocopies of each page of my current passport - all 48 pages! I am not allowed to send the original passport itself.

So under the "Photo Evidence", I wasn't able to offer anything that they'd accept.

The guy on the phone explicitly stated that the colour photocopies would NOT be accepted as ID, that I am not allowed to post my current passport as ID, and that they can't accept a previous expired passport as ID.

The only other photo-ID I have is a UK photo card driving license, which expired in November because it's illegal for me to renew it while living abroad. He said they can't accept that either, as it's expired.

For the "Name and address evidence" I offered a copy of my current lease, but was told this wouldn't be acceptable either. I pointed out that "visa or resident permit" were listed and ought to be allowed, but he said that this would NOT be accepted if it doesn't bear my full address.

He suggested sending a utility bill, but my bills are in the name of the owner of the condo that I rent.

So it looks like I have to fly back to the UK in order to renew. What a joke.