Changes to British passport services in Thailand

I received an email this afternoon telling me that my passport has been processed and will be with me shortly.

Is there any way that I can track it?

It has taken 25 days so far.

Nope, it will arrive when it arrives, but based on current reports you should get it in next day couple of days

What concerns me is that the nearest courier service to me is 180 km away in Phitsanulok and DHL is in BKK 400 km away. I sent it off by Thai Post EMS and tracked it all the way. I have to pay for the return courier service and I should have the right to track it back again.

Once your passport arrives in Thailand they will send it by EMS to your home from the nearest DHL office. From previous posts I recall DHL will contact you when they receive it here and give you info about it being sent by EMS.

Actually DHL handle the whole delivery process from start to finish, as was certainly the case when I renewed my passport a year ago. You (billd766) could always ask HMPO for the DHL tracking number to enable you to check delivery progress. At least they do now inform us by email when our new passports are on their way, which certainly wasn't the case this time last year! Arguably that may be one improvement at least in the existing renewal procedures over the previous ones!!

In any event, the DHL courier delivering your new passport will contact you on the day. However the one who contacted me for directions then proceeded to inform me that he spoke no English! Fortunately he happened to be in the same town as my wife was at that time, so I got her to call him back and she accepted delivery on my behalf. Whether that is kosher security-wise is, of course, another matter (I was under the impression that you are supposed to sign for delivery of your new passport personally).

Edited by OJAS

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received an email this afternoon telling me that my passport has been processed and will be with me shortly.

Is there any way that I can track it?

It has taken 25 days so far.

Nope, it will arrive when it arrives, but based on current reports you should get it in next day couple of days

What concerns me is that the nearest courier service to me is 180 km away in Phitsanulok and DHL is in BKK 400 km away. I sent it off by Thai Post EMS and tracked it all the way. I have to pay for the return courier service and I should have the right to track it back again.

Once your passport arrives in Thailand they will send it by EMS to your home from the nearest DHL office. From previous posts I recall DHL will contact you when they receive it here and give you info about it being sent by EMS.

Thanks for that info.

I am currently in the process and had a few hicups myself, down to poor admin on my behalf. Needed a new passport due to not enough blank pages left for Multi Entry visas into other countries.

I used keyvisa in Pattaya, can't fault the guy there at all.

First time I arrived there after driving 5 hours from Korat, I wasn't in possession of proof of address, I live with my girlfriend in their family home.. I needed to get some lease agreement as proof, and then discovering that my girlfriend forgot to take my UK Debit card snookered me right from the off..!!! Oh well it was a nice day for a drive..

2nd time, I managed to get a lease agreement, that her mother filled in to support that I've been living there for the past 18 months, I also had my companies Personnal details record, that has my NOK, and Home address on it (required for repatriation) and my UK Debit card.

The folks at Keyvisa took care of it all, cost me a something like 500 baht to get the documentation translated, and a 2,000 handlers fee, and left it in their hands, that was just over 3 weeks ago, closer to 4, I've just checked my UK bank account and they took the UKPA took the 147.69 fee from my account on the 3rd, so I'm probably going to assume that everything paperwork was in order.

For the guy doing transfers from Kasikorn, I feel your pain, I have to do this every 6 weeks when I return, so my ex wife can get her alimony, they don't allow you to do online transfers out of Thailand to the UK it seems due to the new anti money laundering laws, so I have to do the same, big smiles, passport and lots of patience, the lady I deal with in Chok Chai is lovely, and has all my old stuff on file, so it's getting easier, she also gives me blank copies and I have them filled out already.. it's a pain, but it does work, I just wish I was able to do all of this online when I'm overseas, but I can't.

Fingers crossed my new passport arrives soon, as my old passport is still valid I had to use that to get back to my work, I'm just hopping that the old passport hasn't been cancelled whilst I'm overseas, and the new one is stuck in Thailand, I do know that you can own two passports many people who work in the Middle East have them due to not wishing the visa stamps to be seen in various other countries.

I did ask for the passport to be returned to Keyvisa and not my Thai Address, so I could get one of my mates to collect it for me, and bring it to me..

It is a small nightmare now they've done away with the HK part, but I'd rather do it this way than pay close to a Grand to fly to the UK and get it done !!

• Like 1

I am currently in the process and had a few hicups myself, down to poor admin on my behalf. Needed a new passport due to not enough blank pages left for Multi Entry visas into other countries.

I used keyvisa in Pattaya, can't fault the guy there at all.

First time I arrived there after driving 5 hours from Korat, I wasn't in possession of proof of address, I live with my girlfriend in their family home.. I needed to get some lease agreement as proof, and then discovering that my girlfriend forgot to take my UK Debit card snookered me right from the off..!!! Oh well it was a nice day for a drive..

2nd time, I managed to get a lease agreement, that her mother filled in to support that I've been living there for the past 18 months, I also had my companies Personnal details record, that has my NOK, and Home address on it (required for repatriation) and my UK Debit card.

The folks at Keyvisa took care of it all, cost me a something like 500 baht to get the documentation translated, and a 2,000 handlers fee, and left it in their hands, that was just over 3 weeks ago, closer to 4, I've just checked my UK bank account and they took the UKPA took the 147.69 fee from my account on the 3rd, so I'm probably going to assume that everything paperwork was in order.

For the guy doing transfers from Kasikorn, I feel your pain, I have to do this every 6 weeks when I return, so my ex wife can get her alimony, they don't allow you to do online transfers out of Thailand to the UK it seems due to the new anti money laundering laws, so I have to do the same, big smiles, passport and lots of patience, the lady I deal with in Chok Chai is lovely, and has all my old stuff on file, so it's getting easier, she also gives me blank copies and I have them filled out already.. it's a pain, but it does work, I just wish I was able to do all of this online when I'm overseas, but I can't.

Fingers crossed my new passport arrives soon, as my old passport is still valid I had to use that to get back to my work, I'm just hopping that the old passport hasn't been cancelled whilst I'm overseas, and the new one is stuck in Thailand, I do know that you can own two passports many people who work in the Middle East have them due to not wishing the visa stamps to be seen in various other countries.

I did ask for the passport to be returned to Keyvisa and not my Thai Address, so I could get one of my mates to collect it for me, and bring it to me..

It is a small nightmare now they've done away with the HK part, but I'd rather do it this way than pay close to a Grand to fly to the UK and get it done !!

I had got all my bits and pieces lined up and it seems that I could use my KBank debit card but it didn't work for me. Fortunately an old friend in the UK helped out and that was sorted in less than an hour (plus a few internation phone calls).

The actual transfer at KBank was slow because it is a rural branch and I suspect they haven't done it before. I had one girl working on it and another was taking notes for when it happens again. I actally transferred 9,500 baht which came to £165.79 at 54.2825 baht but my friend actually got less than that because of bank charges even though I paid at my end and requested GBP to be transferred. I am more than happy with KBank and the staff here.

After that I waited a couple of weeks and got an email yesterday querying if I had paid once or twice and replied asking if I could get the new price (no) and if they had a DHL tracking number (no again) so I posted an update yesterday and I will post another when it arrives.

• Like 1

I received a new British passport last week and made the trip to Imperial Ladprao Immigration to have my visa stamp transferred, can confirm that they require a letter/certification from the Embassy. This is easily done at the Embassy, free and takes 5 minutes once at the counter.

They should certainly supply a tracking number.

Do you now need a letter from the British Embassy saying your old passport is cancelled?

Whether you need the letter or not will depend upon the immigration office you have to go to transfer your stamps.

Bangkok immigration has been reported as not asking for it.

Udon never required a letter either.

My son's British passport is due to expire later this year so the fee reduction is good news. However this will be his first adult passport and on the passport office website they ask for proof of address. Has anyone any experience of what document I could use to proof his address here in Thailand, all I can think of is to get an English translation of our house registration document (he has dual nationality), which would mean a trip to Bangkok. If anyone has recent experience of this I would appreciate it.

I have just applied for my daughter's 1st passport at the Embassy , I asked whether they could accept the documents now and delay processing to get the reduced fee ... No

but I had this reply to the same question by e-mail and it seems after the 25th all applications will have to be sent direct to the UK , I suppose hence the reduced fee !

see from Embassy BKK

'Please note that we will not accept for the passport application after 25 March 2014. Due to the passport policy changed, every passport application needed to be mailed by the applicant directly to the passport office in Liverpool. In case that you plan to apply after 7th April, you have to mail all paperwork directly to them, for the reason that they don’t allow us to deal with the passport application anymore. Please keep checking with our website, there will be updated very soon.'

I paid just over 100 GBP fee inc postage

Am I missing something?

100 GBP for what passport?

On your bank card?

Adult 32 page passport £83.00 Child 32 page passport £53.00 Jumbo 48 page passport £91.00 (Child and Adult)

Edited by angsta

Am I missing something?

On your bank card?

Adult 32 page passport £83.00 Child 32 page passport £53.00 Jumbo 48 page passport £91.00 (Child and Adult)

Those prices do not go into effect until the 7th of April.

Am I missing something?

On your bank card?

81. 50 passport for childs 1st passport

23.01 courier

but this will not be available after 26th

from then reduced fee but apply direct to uk

Am I missing something?

On your bank card?

81. 50 passport for childs 1st passport

23.01 courier

but this will not be available after 26th

from then reduced fee but apply direct to uk

So whats the significance of the 7th? This is a soft change I guess?

I don't where the 25th date comes from. In his post he states that after the 25th they have be sent to the UK which has been in effect for some time. That may apply for first time passport is all that I can figure.

The change of fees goes into effect on after the 7th of April as stated in this topic. Reduction in passport fees for UK citizens overseas

My passport finally arrived this morning via DHL from London LHR dated Tuesday 18th March 2014 to DHL in BKK Suwannabhumi depot.

From there it went via EMS post and I collected it about 11 am this morning Saturday 22 March 2014.

It has a DHL waybill number and also an EMS tracking number.

When I asked the PPO in Liverpool for the DHL waybill/tracking number they told me that I would only be given that 7 days after it had been shipped if it had not arrived by then.

Whenever I sent anything by courier I always got the waybill number and the same for ThaiPost EMS.

WE PAY for the return service and we should automatically get the waybill number as part of the email notification.

• Like 1