Changes to British passport services in Thailand

I only sent a copy of my current extension of stay and the data page of my current full PP, and got my new pp back from the UK 2nd Jan

Their courier is DHL and yes the pp will arrive safely, my last visa for Thailand was some 9 years ago and have been on extensions for employment...so dont panic,

talking to somebody else i know, the table A, covers a multitude of sins including new applications not just renewal, and the table assumes someone is resident in the UK, hence the references to school records/baptism certificates, in other words some sort of evidence of your connection with UK, if they choose to check, to ensure new applicants are entitled to a UK passport....basically they have cut and pasted this table from somewhere else, it hasnt been drawn up for oversea's applicants

With a renewal, you have already been vetted and in the system, so a copy of your full or expiring PP fullfills the photo evidence, and the visa or extension of stay fullfills the name and address evidence it appears

This is very interesting, as I was told the opposite when I phoned up the helpline recently.

Since we're required to keep our passports with us at all times, I was told I'd need to send full-colour photocopies of each page of my current passport - all 48 pages! I am not allowed to send the original passport itself.

So under the "Photo Evidence", I wasn't able to offer anything that they'd accept.

The guy on the phone explicitly stated that the colour photocopies would NOT be accepted as ID, that I am not allowed to post my current passport as ID, and that they can't accept a previous expired passport as ID.

The only other photo-ID I have is a UK photo card driving license, which expired in November because it's illegal for me to renew it while living abroad. He said they can't accept that either, as it's expired.

For the "Name and address evidence" I offered a copy of my current lease, but was told this wouldn't be acceptable either. I pointed out that "visa or resident permit" were listed and ought to be allowed, but he said that this would NOT be accepted if it doesn't bear my full address.

He suggested sending a utility bill, but my bills are in the name of the owner of the condo that I rent.

So it looks like I have to fly back to the UK in order to renew. What a joke.

Soutpeel is probably right when I think about it now. The people that work in customer service are absolutely useless! They know nothing. I also called last week and the guy I spoke with didn't have a clue. They have all your info already if you are applying for a renewal. I would just chance it mate. Don't let these so-called guidelines made up by Whitehall politrickians scare you into buying a ticket back home to renew your little red book. Send copies of your pp, a few photos, app form and a cheque or cc autorisation form. All will be well, Soutpeel is right

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only sent a copy of my current extension of stay and the data page of my current full PP, and got my new pp back from the UK 2nd Jan

Their courier is DHL and yes the pp will arrive safely, my last visa for Thailand was some 9 years ago and have been on extensions for employment...so dont panic,

talking to somebody else i know, the table A, covers a multitude of sins including new applications not just renewal, and the table assumes someone is resident in the UK, hence the references to school records/baptism certificates, in other words some sort of evidence of your connection with UK, if they choose to check, to ensure new applicants are entitled to a UK passport....basically they have cut and pasted this table from somewhere else, it hasnt been drawn up for oversea's applicants

With a renewal, you have already been vetted and in the system, so a copy of your full or expiring PP fullfills the photo evidence, and the visa or extension of stay fullfills the name and address evidence it appears

This is very interesting, as I was told the opposite when I phoned up the helpline recently.

Since we're required to keep our passports with us at all times, I was told I'd need to send full-colour photocopies of each page of my current passport - all 48 pages! I am not allowed to send the original passport itself.

So under the "Photo Evidence", I wasn't able to offer anything that they'd accept.

The guy on the phone explicitly stated that the colour photocopies would NOT be accepted as ID, that I am not allowed to post my current passport as ID, and that they can't accept a previous expired passport as ID.

The only other photo-ID I have is a UK photo card driving license, which expired in November because it's illegal for me to renew it while living abroad. He said they can't accept that either, as it's expired.

For the "Name and address evidence" I offered a copy of my current lease, but was told this wouldn't be acceptable either. I pointed out that "visa or resident permit" were listed and ought to be allowed, but he said that this would NOT be accepted if it doesn't bear my full address.

He suggested sending a utility bill, but my bills are in the name of the owner of the condo that I rent.

Soutpeel is probably right when I think about it now. The people that work in customer service are absolutely useless! They know nothing. I also called last week and the guy I spoke with didn't have a clue. They have all your info already if you are applying for a renewal. I would just chance it mate. Don't let these so-called guidelines made up by Whitehall politrickians scare you into buying a ticket back home to renew your little red book. Send copies of your pp, a few photos, app form and a cheque or cc autorisation form. All will be well, Soutpeel is right

They honestly haven't a clue what they're doing and why. The helpline guy told me the opposite in that utility bills are not accepted. I am going to do (for proof of residence) what the helpline guy said which was "send us what you've got" which is nothing and see what happens.

The photo id thing I mentioned earlier in that if you don't have a driving licence and lose your passport your fecked.

These problems are why there always should be an option to apply or pick up in person at the embassy and they forward it to the UK. I emailed the embassy in Bangkok about this and they said I could arrange to have it picked up from there.

Edited by parryhandy

Update about proof of address. After a few weeks of waiting, calls and emails I finally received an email back today saying this about proof of address:

Dear Mr Green
Thank you for your email, please accept our apologies for the delay in responding it would appear you have been advised a response would be within 72 hours however that is for UK based queries, Overseas query have a 10 day turnaround.
I can confirm that you will need to put the address of where you are staying (Hotel, Hostel etc) and you will need to be staying at that property for the length of time the application is in process so that the passport can be returned to the address, you will need to enclose a covering letter with the application explaining your situation. Further information may be required and I cannot guarantee that if you are unable to submit all the information required your application may be delay. I hope this clarifies our position.
Regards

PO3 Customer Contact Centre
Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office
Nexus House l Mission Court l Newport l NP20 2DW
Swyddfa Basbort Ei Mawrhydi
Tŷ Nexus l Mission Court l Casnewydd l NP20 2DW

Edited by Mario2008
name removed

The only reason why the government wants an evidence of residence is to know exactly where you are!!

Before they had no control of their overseas citizens and didn't know where they were.

Another act of freedom robbing.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated wink.png

sir

If one more dole scrounger gets caught,thats got to be good news,freedom robbing is no problem if one is not a criminal

Why not just send your old passport to a relative/friend in the UK with one item (I have a birth cert for instance) and have them post your handwritten downloaded application and docs to the passport office in the UK, then have them (friend/relative) send by registered post back to you here in Thailand? Seems less hassle/cheaper to me.

sir

even easier,give to a visa company and for the sum of 10,000 baht,they do all the work,i have done this recently

The only reason why the government wants an evidence of residence is to know exactly where you are!!

Before they had no control of their overseas citizens and didn't know where they were.

Another act of freedom robbing.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated wink.png

sir

If one more dole scrounger gets caught,thats got to be good news,freedom robbing is no problem if one is not a criminal

what are you mumbling on about...sir? calm down now and open your first beer mate. it's almost 4

off topic bs

• Like 1

Why not just send your old passport to a relative/friend in the UK with one item (I have a birth cert for instance) and have them post your handwritten downloaded application and docs to the passport office in the UK, then have them (friend/relative) send by registered post back to you here in Thailand? Seems less hassle/cheaper to me.

sir

even easier,give to a visa company and for the sum of 10,000 baht,they do all the work,i have done this recently

this is only for the extremely lazy, rich or simple

• Like 1

sir

10,000 baht total ? So a fee of around 2,000 baht to get passport. A thai agency ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Update about proof of address. After a few weeks of waiting, calls and emails I finally received an email back today saying this about proof of address:

Dear Mr Green

Thank you for your email, please accept our apologies for the delay in responding it would appear you have been advised a response would be within 72 hours however that is for UK based queries, Overseas query have a 10 day turnaround.

I can confirm that you will need to put the address of where you are staying (Hotel, Hostel etc) and you will need to be staying at that property for the length of time the application is in process so that the passport can be returned to the address, you will need to enclose a covering letter with the application explaining your situation. Further information may be required and I cannot guarantee that if you are unable to submit all the information required your application may be delay. I hope this clarifies our position.

Regards

PO3 Customer Contact Centre

Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

Nexus House l Mission Court l Newport l NP20 2DW

Swyddfa Basbort Ei Mawrhydi

Tŷ Nexus l Mission Court l Casnewydd l NP20 2DW

I guess the only comment I could make on this info you got, is that this office doesn't deal will overseas applications from Thailand, if you look at the web site they say specifically to send the application to the PP office in Liverpool, so I guess the definitive answer needs to come from Liverpool, seeing as they will be processing the application

• Like 1

You may have been told the opposite, but all I can tell you is what I sent, and 24 days later received the new PP in Thailand from the pp office in Liverpool via DHL and was pleasantly surprised it arrived so quickly seeing as this was over Xmas & new year holidays, I wasnt expecting to see the pp before the 10th of Jan

sir

Don't be silly. EMS far cheaper than the difference handed over to an agency coffee1.gif

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

Just got my new pp back a week ago, its issued via the pp office not FCO

A potential fly in someone wishing to save the extra 4k plus by renewing via a UK based friend/relative. Will the Passport Office pick up on the fact that the passport hasn't been stamped into the UK? That is to say, are there two separate departments and what is the likelihood of their noting someone's attempting to save the iniquitous 4k+ fee? Just a thought.

No.

But you need to get a stamp out of the country you are leaving.

However, I was an employment pass holder in Singapore for some time, there was no stamp in the passport once leaving the country.

The thing that stops me sending my passport to relatives in the UK is that your new passport is returned to your UK address by registered post where you may or may not have to sign for it. Does anybody know if you do actually have to sign for it ? I can actually prove I live at my UK address.

""For the "Name and address evidence" I offered a copy of my current lease, but was told this wouldn't be acceptable either. I pointed out that "visa or resident permit" were listed and ought to be allowed, but he said that this would NOT be accepted if it doesn't bear my full address.

He suggested sending a utility bill, but my bills are in the name of the owner of the condo that I rent."""

----------

As someone else already pointed out, a utility bill (or bank statement for that matter) is not on the list. But if you do try it - and of course it should work if there sentient beings at the other end - they would probably need a certified translation into English, wouldn't they..........

""For the "Name and address evidence" I offered a copy of my current lease, but was told this wouldn't be acceptable either. I pointed out that "visa or resident permit" were listed and ought to be allowed, but he said that this would NOT be accepted if it doesn't bear my full address.

He suggested sending a utility bill, but my bills are in the name of the owner of the condo that I rent."""

----------

As someone else already pointed out, a utility bill (or bank statement for that matter) is not on the list. But if you do try it - and of course it should work if there sentient beings at the other end - they would probably need a certified translation into English, wouldn't they..........

Yes, I should have mentioned that - he was very clear that any supporting documentation in Thai language would have to be accompanied by a certified translation into English.

After reading a few replies I think I'll go ahead and try applying from here in Thailand - "send us what you've got" - I guess they can only say no.

Having said that, a minor worry is that part of the renewal process apparently consists of Liverpool automatically cancelling my old passport (which I'll be keeping here in Thailand).

I asked the chap on the phone if there was any danger of them refusing to issue a new one, but still managing to cancel my existing one. He said that was a "good question". Not very reassuring!

Edited by thatmanagain

The thing that stops me sending my passport to relatives in the UK is that your new passport is returned to your UK address by registered post where you may or may not have to sign for it. Does anybody know if you do actually have to sign for it ? I can actually prove I live at my UK address.

Somebody has to sign for it I don't think it needs to be the addressee, they could be out, I signed for my cousins passport when I was in the UK last year as she had popped out.

• Like 1

Try this one from the other immigration website. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

Yes I'm sure the spelling will convince HMG this is my genuine assress ! No I am not making this up.

Below is last part of the form

ใบรับการแจงรับคนตางดาวเขาพักอาศัย RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION
ขาพเจา ตําแหนง I TITLE
ไดรับการแจงบุคคลตางดาวเขาพักอาศัยของ สัญชาติ HAVE RECEIVED NOTIFICATIONS OF ALIEN’S ASSRESS FROM NATIONALITY
ซึ่งไดรับแจงการเขาพักอาศัยของ รวม คน WHO NOTIFY THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIENS HAVE STAYED TOTAL PERSONS
ไวแลวเมื่อวันท ี่ เดือน พ.ศ. เวลา น. ON (DATE) MONTH YEAR HOURS
ลงชื่อ ผูรับแจง SIGNATURE IMMIGRATION OFFICER
They do not care about us who pay their wages .I think they will have so many problems that some bright spark will make us go to Embassy pay huge fees to prove we are alive.
Disgraceful.If Thai passpors were easier to obtain for retirees,like Malta selling EU ones I think many would tell them where to stick it.
I wonder if a copy of the Arrival card with your address here would be acceptable,perhaps someone renewing could ask?
Edited by RubbaJohnny

Somebody has to sign for it I don't think it needs to be the addressee, they could be out, I signed for my cousins passport when I was in the UK last year as she had popped out.

My Thai neighbour signed for mine not 3 weeks ago via DHL from Liverpool its not problem

Try this one from the other immigration website. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm30.pdf

Yes I'm sure the spelling will convince HMG this is my genuine assress ! No I am not making this up.

Below is last part of the form

ใบรับการแจงรับคนตางดาวเขาพักอาศัย RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION

ขาพเจา ตําแหนง I TITLE

ไดรับการแจงบุคคลตางดาวเขาพักอาศัยของ สัญชาติ HAVE RECEIVED NOTIFICATIONS OF ALIEN’S ASSRESS FROM NATIONALITY

ซึ่งไดรับแจงการเขาพักอาศัยของ รวม คน WHO NOTIFY THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIENS HAVE STAYED TOTAL PERSONS

ไวแลวเมื่อวันท ี่ เดือน พ.ศ. เวลา น. ON (DATE) MONTH YEAR HOURS

ลงชื่อ ผูรับแจง SIGNATURE IMMIGRATION OFFICER

They do not care about us who pay their wages .I think they will have so many problems that some bright spark will make us go to Embassy pay huge fees to prove we are alive.

Disgraceful.If Thai passpors were easier to obtain for retirees,like Malta selling EU ones I think many would tell them where to stick it.

I wonder if a copy of the Arrival card with your address here would be acceptable,perhaps someone renewing could ask?

No you wouldn't tell them where to stick it, you would be a very silly gentleman indeed, if you did give up your UK passport for a Thai pp

As stated previously I recently received my new pp back from Liverpool on 2nd Jan and all that had been sent was a copy of the data page and my latest extension stamp for employment in Thailand, what is obvious is that the "customer services" at HM passport office don't have clue about what they are talking about. As all PP renewals from Thailand are being done in Liverpool some needs to hold of someone in Liverpool and get clarification from them and them only because they are ones issuing the pp

The Passport Office in Liverpool is a total shambles.

Appalling service.

In spite of actually debiting my bank acc. they wont send me my Passport without

what they call "evidence of name and address".

I don't have any of the things on their list apart from Visas and Immigration stamps which were enclosed.

Only the UK can make such a simple thing so complicated.

Now I suppose I will have to waste time and money phoning them.

I also had a problem finding any proof of address. I tried the consulate in Bangkok but they were unable to provide anything as their's is “only for use in Thailand”. So apart from my Thai visa the only possible proof of address I could find was my Health Insurance Policy Schedule from BUPA, which has my name, address, date of birth and ID number (passport in my case).

I sent my application to Liverpool by DHL on 10th January. My new passport arrived today, that's less than two weeks door-to-door! But I don't know if it was the visa or health insurance document that worked.

Appalling service.

In spite of actually debiting my bank acc. they wont send me my Passport without

I don't have any of the things on their list apart from Visas and Immigration stamps which were enclosed.

Have you asked them whether you can have it sent to the embassy instead ? Please let us know how you get on.

To be honest I have sort of given up for a little while

I don't have anything on their useless list.

I replied to their E mail asking for help and am waiting for a reply.

Not holding my breath though.

The whole charade is pathetic.

They can see all my Extension stamps including the latest one.

Where the hell do they think I am.

If it comes to the crunch maybe I could get my Yellow Tabbien Baan or motorbike book

translated and verified.

They want originals and I dont fancy sending those to England.

I applied last time to the UK Embassy in Bangkok without all this crap.

And I thought that dealing with Thai Immigration was a hassle.

It is a doddle compared with dealing with my own Country's pathetic bureaucracy.

To be honest I have sort of given up.

I don't have anything on their useless list.

I replied to their E mail asking for help and am waiting for a reply.

Not holding my breath though.

The whole charade is pathetic.

They can see all my Extension stamps including the latest one.

Where the hell do they think I am.

If it comes to the crunch maybe I could get my Yellow Tabbien Baan or motorbike book

translated and verified.

They want originals and I dont fancy sending those to England.

I applied last time to the UK Embassy in Bangkok without all thei crap.

As much as think the MPs in the UK are as useless as the civil service why don't contact your local MP and tell him or her of your problems and state the pp office are being a bunch of <deleted> personally I wouldn't be sending any original paper work to them, they don't need your existing pp so why originals for anything else ?

On the pp office website there is a ministerial contact address send a compliant to them as well

Local MP is Eric Pickles. I don't know anyone who has ever had and acknowledgement from him let alone a reply.

I will wait and see what they come back with.

Most retirees in Thailand don't have any documentation as proof of address and they don't seem to understand this.

Appalling service.

Have you asked them whether you can have it sent to the embassy instead ? Please let us know how you get on.

The BE is no longer involved issuing full pp,s except if you need an emergency pp

Your only possible action with the BE in BKK is if enough people in Thailand start complaining to them they may pass a message on to some in the pp office

Something has certainly changed in the last couple of weeks over applications from Thailand as I pointed out and another poster pointed we have received pp back in the last couple of weeks from Liverpool without any issues I'm my case only the data page and copy of my extension of stay was supplied and mine took 24 days door to door and the other poster around 2 weeks