Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong gets one-year imprisonment without suspension

webfact

Amazing Thailand for sure, you get jail time for slander, but its OK to drive high on cocaine and drunk run over and kill a policeman and just walk away. Just shows you how much power the rich BKK elites have!

OFF Topic, but I get tired of reading libellous statements that should be removed. It is equally illegal to libel bad guys as it is good guys.

Not all countries have vehicular manslaughter or other similar statutes, incl. Thailand.

In many western countries, he would have received a lengthy probabtionary sentence (not necessarily gaol) and very heavy fines, loss of licence to drive forever etc. But gaol time is not a necessary outcome, it depends very much on the laws of the particular land. In some countries there would have been mandatory gaol sentencing, once it was proven that he was at the wheel, that is not the case in Thailand as I understand it.

It is very likely he was the driver (not sure if that fact has been ascertained as fact by the courts)

He might have been high (unproven and unprovable, since he left the scene of the crime)

He might have been drunk (ditto)

He was certainly speeding

If he was the driver, he certainly drove negligently

Like it or not, heavy fines are the best the Thai law has at its disposal. I would suggest rescinding the right to drive for about 80 years would also be appropriate.

Paying the family compensation is pretty normal in asia and many other places - this is a civil thing and has already occurred.

While I am personally appalled at this particular young man and his actions, the fact is that neither the "drunk" no "high" accusations are provable to the court, neither would they be in most western juristictions. He left the scene of the crime, the chain is broken. It was a despicable move, an illegal act, and his subsequent actions were equally reprehensible. No question, but they are not gaolable offences.

You writing that he was "high on cocaine and drunk" is ignorant and libellous btw.

• Like 1

You can complain about a lot of things but a Thai complaining about a judge and saying the judge and court is not fair is like us complaining and telling immigration they are crooks.

They will get you in the end. You got to love it no matter what country. Complain about someone then go to them and ask for leniency and expect to get off. LOL never

I would be very surprised if he isn't allowed to make bail for the whole period of his sentence. The public loss of face will probably be considered to be punishment enough.

AFAIK it doesn't work that way. You can be granted bail while waiting for an appeal to be heard, but the time waiting doesn't count as time served. Then they would have to come up with reasonable grounds for an appeal, to the same apellate court that just handed down this sentence.

What an outrage..... the judicary unbelieveably persecutes "freedom of speach" ......what? On top of that the military will murder you if you protest. Thailand is persecution all over..... between the two ( both staffed wit cronies of the elite) they jail you or murder you ! and walk away unscathed, not held accountable. How much "oppression" of the truth and obsesion with power and wealth can the people take. Power corupts and absolute power corupts absolutley..... The merciless rich elite, relentless in their oppression, but at least consistent in their hypocracy and manipulation of the truth , democracy and human rights..... You cant write, type, whisper or speak "the truth" in this country..... what a mockery of the modern world of human rights, equality of people and freedom of speach. It would seem like Thailand is held back by some invisable hand. A medieval way, left over from dark days of the Arabian nights..........where is Repunsel....? A farcical oppressive regime with subversive phantom hands, lies, deciept and self servitude at every turn, in full control a masterful puppeter, again feigning and the people dance to a well worn tune "We don't care if your Thai, if your Red its bye bye" by our judges or our sniper's eye.

Amazing Thailand for sure, you get jail time for slander, but its OK to drive high on cocaine and drunk run over and kill a policeman and just walk away. Just shows you how much power the rich BKK elites have!

OFF Topic, but I get tired of reading libellous statements that should be removed. It is equally illegal to libel bad guys as it is good guys.

Not all countries have vehicular manslaughter or other similar statutes, incl. Thailand.

In many western countries, he would have received a lengthy probabtionary sentence (not necessarily gaol) and very heavy fines, loss of licence to drive forever etc. But gaol time is not a necessary outcome, it depends very much on the laws of the particular land. In some countries there would have been mandatory gaol sentencing, once it was proven that he was at the wheel, that is not the case in Thailand as I understand it.

It is very likely he was the driver (not sure if that fact has been ascertained as fact by the courts)

He might have been high (unproven and unprovable, since he left the scene of the crime)

Like it or not, heavy fines are the best the Thai law has at its disposal. I would suggest rescinding the right to drive for about 80 years would also be appropriate.

Paying the family compensation is pretty normal in asia and many other places - this is a civil thing and has already occurred.

While I am personally appalled at this particular young man and his actions, the fact is that neither the "drunk" no "high" accusations are provable to the court, neither would they be in most western juristictions. He left the scene of the crime, the chain is broken. It was a despicable move, an illegal act, and his subsequent actions were equally reprehensible. No question, but they are not gaolable offences.

You writing that he was "high on cocaine and drunk" is ignorant and libellous btw.

Fair comment. In most Western countries its also an offence to leave the scene of an accident and attempt to pervert the course of justice. The latter, if proven, is usually heavily punished. Wasn't the poor servant involved in the perverting attempt jailed already? What happened to the policeman - moved to an inactive post? No charges laid elsewhere.

The whole legal process, enforcement, investigative, judicial, works differently here. That's how it is, However, the courts and police can only work within that legal and cultural framework.

It seems horrific to us and scandalous that someone can avoid justice like this, But, it's all being done in ways which are accepted here. Pay blood money, attending funeral, leave country before due in court, then can't come back because ill, statute limitations expires on speeding etc. Why did it get to the 11th hour and he was allowed to go out the country ? Who knows. But speculation is irrelevant. The of Thailand, applied in the Thai way are what count, Not what others may think.

Up to now, nothing has been proven in court, and no verdict passed. Innocent until proven guilty.

What an outrage..... the judicary unbelieveably persecutes "freedom of speach" ......what? On top of that the military will murder you if you protest. Thailand is persecution all over..... between the two ( both staffed wit cronies of the elite) they jail you or murder you ! and walk away unscathed, not held accountable. How much "oppression" of the truth and obsesion with power and wealth can the people take. Power corupts and absolute power corupts absolutley..... The merciless rich elite, relentless in their oppression, but at least consistent in their hypocracy and manipulation of the truth , democracy and human rights..... You cant write, type, whisper or speak "the truth" in this country..... what a mockery of the modern world of human rights, equality of people and freedom of speach. It would seem like Thailand is held back by some invisable hand. A medieval way, left over from dark days of the Arabian nights..........where is Repunsel....? A farcical oppressive regime with subversive phantom hands, lies, deciept and self servitude at every turn, in full control a masterful puppeter, again feigning and the people dance to a well worn tune "We don't care if your Thai, if your Red its bye bye" by our judges or our sniper's eye.

Slandering a court president, and continuing after being charged and found guilty is not a good idea in any country.

It's much more serious than say........... a cartoonist making fun.

I wonder if you lads will be cheering when Abhsit is found guilty of murder?

IF that day ever comes, we'll see.

However today, we have a guilty person and he's getting what he deserves.

I seem to have missed something. Has a court adjudicated on this matter?

If the answer is no, then he is by definition innocent until such time as a court determines, based on evidence, that an offence was committed.

The ignorant troll count on TV seems to be rising rapidly :(

• Like 1

Fair comment. In most Western countries its also an offence to leave the scene of an accident and attempt to pervert the course of justice. The latter, if proven, is usually heavily punished. Wasn't the poor servant involved in the perverting attempt jailed already? What happened to the policeman - moved to an inactive post? No charges laid elsewhere.

The whole legal process, enforcement, investigative, judicial, works differently here. That's how it is, However, the courts and police can only work within that legal and cultural framework.

It seems horrific to us and scandalous that someone can avoid justice like this, But, it's all being done in ways which are accepted here. Pay blood money, attending funeral, leave country before due in court, then can't come back because ill, statute limitations expires on speeding etc. Why did it get to the 11th hour and he was allowed to go out the country ? Who knows. But speculation is irrelevant. The of Thailand, applied in the Thai way are what count, Not what others may think.

Up to now, nothing has been proven in court, and no verdict passed. Innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, I described leaving the scene as "an illegal act" and what happenned subsequently as "despicable".

I have a more colourful glossary, but I suspect I might have been kicked had I used it :D

• Like 1

If the answer is no, then he is by definition innocent until such time as a court determines, based on evidence, that an offence was committed.

The ignorant troll count on TV seems to be rising rapidly sad.png

I read the word the word 'guilty' and 'sentenced' so yeah Prompong is guilty and is getting what he deserves. As for Abhisit, the trial has just started so IF he's ever found guilty, we can see who here will cheer that verdict.

Edited by TVGerry

Wow - so they appealed and got stung even harder - That'll learn um.

Apparently not - They applied for bail, so it would seem that they'll keep appealing until they get a verdict they like.

That's how rich people do justice in this country.

sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

The ignorant troll count on TV seems to be rising rapidly sad.png

I read the word the word 'guilty' and 'sentenced' so yeah Prompong is guilty and is getting what he deserves. As for Abhisit, the trial has just started so IF he's ever found guilty, we can see who here will cheer that verdict.

It was unclear to me to whom the poster referred. Not enough quotes.

Apologies, 1 guilty, 1 in the dock and 1 "I'll be along when I get a free moment" by my count.

This would appear to be an indication of how the judges feel about someone who has a go at them.

Could it extend to the constitution court judges when they are asked to rule on things like the legality of the way the 2.2 trillion bill was passed ?

After all PT said they would not accept the courts findings on the amnesty bill and the reds intimidated the judges.

I would think these actions would not have endeared PT and their red wing to the judges.

While they are charged with making their findings within the law they do have discretion to use leniency...................or not.

No tears to shed for this besuited bully, although imprisonment for defamation seems harsh in this (or any) day and age.

An example has been made of the miscreants to deter others from bringing the judiciary into disrepute. They are lucky it was only one year.

Try Contempt of Court in the US... Well done.

Exactly

Two down a couple hundred more to go.

I think with the Shinawatra's out of the picture there will be ones who will do the job they were voted in for.

Maybe I am being overly generous but for sure they are not all ba

Edited by northernjohn

The OP article doesn't exactly say whether the two guys are currently in custody or not.

It says they've applied for bail and a decision has not yet been granted.

Anyone know if they're really being held in custody???

If so, it would be very unusual for political big-shots.

But then again, hard to expect leniency from judges when the subject of the alleged defamation is judges.

The article also doesn't say, but I wonder if they have one last higher appeal beyond the appeals court???

If not, I'm assuming someone's trying to book plane tickets for Dubai.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

No tears to shed for this besuited bully, although imprisonment for defamation seems harsh in this (or any) day and age.

One wouldn't need to read too much into this to come to the conclusion that the focus was more on contempt of court that defamation.