The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

Do you mean obaying road signs including speed limits causes death? I obay speed limits, I will obay the sign above and before the underpass which allows motorbikes, I hope you do the same!

Edited by Badrabbit

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is enforced here so who cares what is reported, I obey signs just like I obey signs in the UK!

It is this kind of attitude which most likely contributes to the high death toll on our roads.

I think he means he actually obeys the signs. And in this case, as soon as he sees a sign prohibiting motorbikes in the underpass he won't go there, for the moment with only a sign prohibiting bicycles he will go there.

Nothing is enforced here so who cares what is reported, I obey signs just like I obey signs in the UK!

It is this kind of attitude which most likely contributes to the high death toll on our roads.

I think he means he actually obeys the signs. And in this case, as soon as he sees a sign prohibiting motorbikes in the underpass he won't go there, for the moment with only a sign prohibiting bicycles he will go there.

Yes correct, just came through the underpass along with many other motorbikes, my reference to "who cares" does not relate to me, I obay the law 100%

Yes correct, just came through the underpass along with many other motorbikes, my reference to "who cares" does not relate to me, I obay the law 100%

Sorry I thought you were being facetious.

Too funny and predictable.

The first accident occurred on the tunnel today with a truck clipping a 3 wheel junk collector. Only in Thailand. I have to laugh.

Why only in Thailand? There are accidents in tunnels all over the world.

Too funny and predictable.

The first accident occurred on the tunnel today with a truck clipping a 3 wheel junk collector. Only in Thailand. I have to laugh.

Why only in Thailand? There are accidents in tunnels all over the world.
Involving a man and wife collecting junk from the tunnel edges?

They were parked inside. Sure that happens everywhere.

Anyone hurt? many poor people trying to make a living, not the best place to be collecting but any opportunity to maybe earn a few bht thay take!

They were taken to hospital. The full story is over at Phuket*an

How they thought it was a good idea to park in darkest part of the tunnel is beyond me.

Anyone hurt? many poor people trying to make a living, not the best place to be collecting but any opportunity to maybe earn a few bht thay take!

How they thought it was a good idea to park in darkest part of the tunnel is beyond me.

I guess the thought of a few bht takes away the danger aspect, I think the tunnel is fantastic all we need now is a police force to actualy enforce the law, what are the chances of that happening?

I guess the thought of a few bht takes away the danger aspect, I think the tunnel is fantastic all we need now is a police force to actualy enforce the law, what are the chances of that happening?
Common sense is what is missing here. Nobody in any right mind would think that's it's good idea to stop and park to collect some junk in a dark underpass.

Hard to police stupidity.

Common sense is what is missing here. Nobody in any right mind would think that's it's good idea to stop and park to collect some junk in a dark underpass.

We are not talking about normal people, poor people probably no driving licence, low education and no fear of the police, driver training here is virtualy non exsistant, they weren't bothered about any potential danger only the thought of a few plastic items, the system is to blame not them!

Fact of the matter is that money (the Baht) trumps common sense. I have to say that I really do have a lot of sympathy for these really poor folks that must risk life and limb to make a very few baht .....

I just read the PW report ,,, crazy. I well know we cannot quote but this is just so crazy.

"The man could have also completed the first historic u-turn in the tunnel and have been about to perform a second u-turn when the truck struck."

Amazing, we do live in one of the craziest countries on the planet so this is no surprise! am I right in saying these 3 wheel motorbike side car combos are illegal in Thailand?

Stupidity at it's best.

In Thalang they are looking for people working the rubber lands for 12k baht up per month. Stunt actions like this no one have to do to survive.

Where do I sign up?

Still, the PW article did clarify the much argued point: motorbikes and three-wheel salaengs are banned from the underpass, they just haven't quite got around to putting the signs up yet!

Amazing, we do live in one of the craziest countries on the planet so this is no surprise! am I right in saying these 3 wheel motorbike side car combos are illegal in Thailand?

Yes, almost all of these home made side car combos are unlicensed = illegal. For sure a very few in Thailand are approved, but I do not see any here in Phuket.

Came through it today behind a chicken samlor. Average speed was 30km/h because the chicken driver had to concentrate on his mobile. Good luck for me that he didn't try a u-turn.

They put up a nearly invisible new small sign near the PI hospital. So chicken samlors and all motorbikes are now sure prohibited.

Probably the BIB preparing the first underpass cash action.

Still no problem using the tunnel, no signs saying motorbikes are banned!

Possibly bad artistry but on the Chai Fa side there is a sign showing they are not allowed along with samlors. It just needs enforcing.

Where is this sign, I went through this morning and could not see any sign other than the one showing a pedal cycle!

Came through it today behind a chicken samlor. Average speed was 30km/h because the chicken driver had to concentrate on his mobile. Good luck for me that he didn't try a u-turn.

They put up a nearly invisible new small sign near the PI hospital. So chicken samlors and all motorbikes are now sure prohibited.

New sign saying clearly no motorbikes&samlors. It is on the median strip opposite PI hospital. It is a small sign white&red but nearly invisible.

New sign saying clearly no motorbikes&samlors. It is on the median strip opposite PI hospital. It is a small sign white&red but nearly invisible.

No one is taking any notice of a nearly invisible sign!

Well as I write this been stuck in traffic from Tescos heading south to the underpass for 15 minutes , arrive near to the tunnel and find they have blocked the u turn heading back north and created chaos.

Now all the cars are backing way back as theres no u turn ???

Edited by The Big Mango

Well as I write this been stuck in traffic from Tescos heading south to the underpass for 15 minutes , arrive near to the tunnel and find they have blocked the u turn heading back north and created chaos.

Why can't they just use the home works exit and uturn at the one provided above the tunnel?

How stupid are these people? That uturn is still in the same place before the tunnel was there.

Why can't they just use the home works exit and uturn at the one provided above the tunnel?

How stupid are these people? That uturn is still in the same place before the tunnel was there.

Save gas?555 Edited by schlog

Going north the other day I noticed that there is no u-turn now from the Central lights as far as the u-turn 1km north of Tesco Lotus intersection. Maybe I missed one but I certainly didn't see anywhere.

Is there such a thing as a traffic management professional in Thailand or is everything done at the whim of police and politicians?

Going north the other day I noticed that there is no u-turn now from the Central lights as far as the u-turn 1km north of Tesco Lotus intersection. Maybe I missed one but I certainly didn't see anywhere.

Is there such a thing as a traffic management professional in Thailand or is everything done at the whim of police and politicians?

It will be installed once the tunnel is done.

I think the set up now is quite good. Flows much better than before the construction.