Breaking point in Thailand

telldem

The situation he finds himself in didn't happen overnight.

He's been eating for 3 over the last few years. People don't go to bed at 175 lbs and wake up at 400.

He's been without a steady job for the last few years. How can someone do that with three small children at home not go to work everyday?

He had 3 kids without preparing a responsible back-up plan or safety net. US$ 3,000 is not an adequate safety for a man with 3 kids. It's just not.

He didn't pay his electricity bill for a year (due to the flood) and didn't put aside a little each month to pay for it when the bill would come due. Did he really think the electric company was just going to let him have free electricity for a year?

He got himself into this situation and he's going to have to get himself out of it. Blaming everyone else on youtube isn't going to solve his problems. Getting off his ass, shaving his face, and pounding the pavement to find a job will be a step in the right direction.

And I'd also like to know why his wife isn't out working full time. I'm sure the local Tesco or 7-11 are hiring. Even at minimum wage, that's 7,000 baht per month. Obviously that's not a lot, but it would prevent their family from (allegedly) eating rice, soy sauce and papaya for every meal for over a month.

• Like 1

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy will bounce along the bottom, living off the generosity of others until either a ) he has a medical emergency or b ) somebody forces him to leave Thailand including paying for that.

If a ) occurs first and he survives it then it may precipitate b ).

This guy will bounce along the bottom, living off the generosity of others until either a ) he has a medical emergency or b ) somebody forces him to leave Thailand including paying for that.

If a ) occurs first and he survives it then it may precipitate b ).

Well I'm not psychic but I have found if you fail to make plans and carry them out in life (which don't always work though) then definitely life events will make the plans and decisions FOR you.

Yeah you're right.

I've met plenty like him, usually crying into their beer in Pattaya. It does tend to be Brits rather than Americans. Brits come from a society where the state always picks up the tab and provides home and food and money and it comes as a shock when it doesn't work in Pattaya. But he is American. Same story though.

Somebody will help him out eventually if he doesn't die in the meantime.

Yeah you're right.

I've met plenty like him, usually crying into their beer in Pattaya. It does tend to be Brits rather than Americans. Brits come from a society where the state always picks up the tab and provides home and food and money and it comes as a shock when it doesn't work in Pattaya. But he is American. Same story though.

Somebody will help him out eventually if he doesn't die in the meantime.

Funny, I've met more Americans then Brits like this. I have an American friend right now who was a real estate agent in the US and had a very decent lifestyle, he is now in Thailand thinking he can duplicate his success but it's not working out. He is slowly getting into a mess and starting to blame Thai society for the situation. Paying his way is becoming a problem and it is only getting worse.

Personally i don't think people who are used to living on social security in the UK are coming to Thailand, I think they just stay in the UK. Despite what you think most people are not "used" to the government picking up the tab. You are considered to be rock bottom if you need to rely on the state, i personally have never been reliant on the welfare state. I only know a few people that have ever claimed benefits from the governement and it has always been on a short term basis whilst they get themselves back to work.

By the way, in Thailand they have a better welfare system then the UK when you lose your job. If you have been with your company for just 3 years you get 6 months redundancy pay, cash, tax free.. Plus I believe the government also pays 50% of their last salary for 6 months whilst you look for a new job.. That does not happen in the UK. Also, check out the welfare state across Scandinavia,,,, the UK does not have what you may have been led to believe.

• Like 2

Cheers Gazzpa. I am British I am not sure you realised that. Lots of British guys in Pattaya on basic state pension and nothing else. Quite a few have been here for years and transmuted from invalidity benefit to the state pension as they passed the required age.

Anyway, British, American, whatever, we can agree they have got into a financial mess they do not appear able to get out of.

I know Judd personally and have met his kids who are amazing, his wife and mom. A lot of you are wrong about him. He is a good hearted man who is just trying to find a way to work. You are all judging him when you don't know him.

Not surprised at all to hear that. He obviously wants to work and help his family. But I still think he should prioritize looking into bariatric surgery as that would offer a way to increase the chances of being with his loving family for the longer term.

Rule of thumb - don't commit to anything here or create ties (no pun intended) for yourself unless you have plenty of savings, a retirement fund and are absolutely sure that you prefer and will always prefer the company of a Thai woman to that of a western woman.

Hey Judd, Why don't you buy a push station and open a smoothie cart?

You sit and slice, the wife takes orders and blends. Not hard to do. I see one person shows taking in probably around 100 orders a night every night at 20 baht each. That's a decent return for Thailand. One months rent in one night.

It's going to be all day work buying produce, carting it there and cleanup, but if your not doing anything else?

I know Judd personally and have met his kids who are amazing, his wife and mom. A lot of you are wrong about him. He is a good hearted man who is just trying to find a way to work. You are all judging him when you don't know him.

Not surprised at all to hear that. He obviously wants to work and help his family.

It's not obvious to me that he wants to work. What's obvious to me is that he wants to shirk responsibility for the pathetic state of his family's finances.

He's awfully overweight for someone who's only eaten rice, papaya and soy sauce for a month.

And there has to be a school in his area which would pay him 25-30,000 per month to work as an English teacher.

I agree, his conversational english is at a very good level.

Trim your beard and go AND GET A JOB

This guys voice is annoying. What a battler that should go back to the states.

Cheers Gazzpa. I am British I am not sure you realised that. Lots of British guys in Pattaya on basic state pension and nothing else. Quite a few have been here for years and transmuted from invalidity benefit to the state pension as they passed the required age.

Anyway, British, American, whatever, we can agree they have got into a financial mess they do not appear able to get out of.

I didn't realise that. I have met a few fellas living on state pension so I kind of knew that. But a state pension is not the same as the dole and neither is invalidity.

We can agree that it doesn't really matter where they are from though, yes.

Merry christmas to you matey.

pm sent, thank you

Hi Judd, What did Craig send you?

A pair of running shoes.

That's a rude fat shaming snipe. Someone that large should not be running even if they could. There are only very limited exercises safely suitable for the super morbidly obese.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

pm sent, thank you

Hi Judd, What did Craig send you?

A pair of running shoes.

That's a rude fat shaming snipe. Someone that large should not be running even if they could. There are only very limited exercises safely suitable for the super morbidly obese.

Pushing oneself away from the table would be a good start. thumbsup.gif

And by the way, sending this guy money via PayPal isn't really going to help his situation, it's only going to prolong it. He needs to get his life in order, and that begins with taking personal responsibility.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Warhammer, this thread is not about how nice a person Judd is, or how big a heart he has, or even how amazing his family is.

We are discussing the life choices that he has made over the past decade or so that have lead him to his current situation, and possible ways he can get himself back on track. Please read what I wrote in post #67.

It's easy to see how he got stuck here. Probably came here on holiday, met a hot girl, got married, and had kids without a thought in the world about how he's going to make money and support them. Fast-forward 10 years and he's now woken up to reality and is going through a mid-life crisis.

The sad reality is that Judd should have never settled in Thailand in the first place. First, he should back home to deal with his health problems. Then go back to school to gain an employable skill, then start sending money back to Thailand to support his family. Also, he should probably talk with a therapist to gain some life and financial planning skills at the same time.

That sounds like a much better solution than sending his wife through other people garbages to find items they can fix up and sell, as he mentioned in another video.

He had a good job as an actor and voice over actor. He's in Bangkok Revenge and a Samsung commercial. He ran into hard times when he was let go and he feels trapped because the job that once gave him a fair income and he doesn't have a degree. My problem is that some members here are making fun of him instead of providing real advice like some are.

How can you say he had a fair income? Acting is not a steady job? How many commercials would he be making in one year or how many contributions to Bangkok revenge would he have made in one year let alone all the years he has been spending here?

Are kind of income from such sources should be no more than a stepping stone to look for something more permanent because it can dry up at any time

• Like 1

And by the way, sending this guy money via PayPal isn't really going to help his situation, it's only going to prolong it.

If he is completely broke, sending him money would be a big help towards getting out of his current hopeless situation. I am not suggesting it, but there is no way that it is not going to help. What is debateable is, what he will do with another chance.

• Like 1