Breaking point in Thailand

telldem

He's awfully overweight for someone who's only eaten rice, papaya and soy sauce for a month.

And there has to be a school in his area which would pay him 25-30,000 per month to work as an English teacher.

Not necessarily on either point.

He seems to appear to be high risk for diabetes based on his weight, mood, and diet.

As far as getting hired, his appearance fails to impress. Would you hire him?

• Like 2

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy I know who was married to a Thai wife for some 16 years. During that time his work took him sometimes overseas for a couple of years and then maybe stationed back in Thailand for 4-5 years and so on.

His last job was in India and 2 years into that contact he discovered that his wife was being unfaithful.

Clearly he upset, but his attitude ultimately is "ok thats thats life. there are no guarantees"

Since than he has returned to Thailand and was working for a German company looking after the Asia Market, he finally got divorced and agreed a monthly alimony settlement contract with his ex wife, along with paying for private tuition for his 6 year old son and University for his step daughter (ex wives kid)

He lives a simple life now (his choice and enjoys it) and along with his financial commitments to his ex and kids he can also save for the future (as he lost everything in the divorce, house, car, the lot)

He was getting his life back together and is very happy with the new lady in his life. All things considered he maintained a very positive spin on things.

8 weeks ago out of the blue he was made redundant!

Not immediately distressed (although clearly inconvenienced) he has kept a positive mind set and has actively been looking for another (similar well paid) job.

Nearly two months on he realises that job opportunities with salaries to honour his commitment to his ex wife and kids tuition are currently not there.

His dilemma is this. If he keep paying his ex and kids school fees he will be out of money by end February 2014.

If he cuts those cost for the time being he will manage easily until May or June 2014.

I told him he should cut the outgoings to his ex and kids private school for now. If not then very soon he will have nothing left for himself also.

Then he will be truly f--ked!

He say that he would have no problem to take on an interim teaching job over the next few months in Thailand if it meant his survival until a suitable new job came along.

I have posted this not for anyone to advise on this fellas situation, just to illustrate that due to circumstances sometimes in life folks do get a rough run of things and there is no assurance they will come out the other side in tact.

• Like 1

Poor bloke, pretty shitty situation he's found himself in there. Whatever he's been doing for the past year isn't working and he needs a new approach. If he hasn't worked it out, appearances are stupidly important in this country, even for landing a basic job. Fortunately having a shave and going for a run are free.

Poor bloke, pretty shitty situation he's found himself in there. Whatever he's been doing for the past year isn't working and he needs a new approach. If he hasn't worked it out, appearances are stupidly important in this country, even for landing a basic job. Fortunately having a shave and going for a run are free.

I agree. A little exercise and some grooming would ease the stress so he could think more clearly.

• Like 1

His situation boils down to one simple thing - he's allowed himself to be unemployed for 2 years. Lack of financial management skills have also played a part (after 11 years here he only had 100,000B in savings), but to not do what it takes to get a job for that amount of time is the root cause of most of his problems.

Sometimes you have to man-up and make sacrifices for a job. Whether that means moving to where your skills are more in demand, even if that's somewhere else in the country or even in a different country, or sucking it up and taking a job that's below you or working for less money just to support his family than so be it. Maybe he has to go home and go back to school to learn a trade or a new skill, but he should have done that a year and half ago when he first realized he couldn't get another job in his field.

That's one of the reasons why I like the low taxes in Thailand compared to the huge safety that everyone has to pay for back home. Why should I have to work hard to pay for someone else's unemployement when they're not willing to make the same sacrifices for a job that I've made? I once had a plan where I would get a bus and round up all the homeless people in my city and give them free transportation and boarding and ship them off to the oil fields that were totally hurting for workers at the time. But no, those people wanted the easy life in the city along with warm weather, close to family, didn't want to work hard or learn the needed skills, lazy, etc. I should do the same to our youtube guy - here's a ticket to bkk and free boarding for a couple months - get a job and get your life back together.

Yesterday I watched a documentary called "Last Train Home" that details the sacrifices rural Chinese families make when they leave the farm for higher paying work in the city, all to support kids and pay for best education they can. It's not easy, but they do what they have to do. That should be required viewing for the guy on youtube.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me that another person who had a difficult childhood comes to Thailand, gets the wrong girl pregnant right away, lacks financial and life skills, is in poor health, and then with a bit of bad luck is wiped out...

Edited by Ludacris

....and if he is home full time, why can his wife not work (besides cleaning neighbours homes) while he looks after the kids? Factory worker, 7/11 assistant, company cleaner.....market asisstant - many places do do the minimum wage - 300 baht per day - that has to put some money into the household (about 6K per month). Surely enough to add an egg to that rice and start digging his way out.

• Like 1

There is a guy I know who was married to a Thai wife for some 16 years. During that time his work took him sometimes overseas for a couple of years and then maybe stationed back in Thailand for 4-5 years and so on.
His last job was in India and 2 years into that contact he discovered that his wife was being unfaithful.
Clearly he upset, but his attitude ultimately is "ok thats thats life. there are no guarantees"
Since than he has returned to Thailand and was working for a German company looking after the Asia Market, he finally got divorced and agreed a monthly alimony settlement contract with his ex wife, along with paying for private tuition for his 6 year old son and University for his step daughter (ex wives kid)
He lives a simple life now (his choice and enjoys it) and along with his financial commitments to his ex and kids he can also save for the future (as he lost everything in the divorce, house, car, the lot)

In Thailand?

I would propose that you are making it all up.

People have problems all around the world, No food, no job, no house to live in, no opportunity to fine a job, lose their home, self respect and family. He did not plan for his future and set aside money for emergencies, his failure to plan resulted in being unable to deal with his problems.

While one can understand his feelings, his problem is not a public problem and the answer to his bad luck can only be dealt with in a few ways. He can go back to his home country, or have those in his family that can work legally in Thailand , to take their turn and support the family.

If he is looking for a helping hand, when he does find one, it will be attached to his own arm.

I wish him luck and patience!

Cheers

Painful as it was, if you had watched the full film, you would have learned that he did have savings set aside, but they were wiped out by having to do repairs from the Bangkok flooding 2 years ago.

You are correct though that this story is being repeated millions of times a day across the world. There is nothing unique about this fellow other than his following on utube. Sad, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better.

People have problems all around the world, No food, no job, no house to live in, no opportunity to fine a job, lose their home, self respect and family. He did not plan for his future and set aside money for emergencies, his failure to plan resulted in being unable to deal with his problems.

While one can understand his feelings, his problem is not a public problem and the answer to his bad luck can only be dealt with in a few ways. He can go back to his home country, or have those in his family that can work legally in Thailand , to take their turn and support the family.

If he is looking for a helping hand, when he does find one, it will be attached to his own arm.

Cheers

Painful as it was, if you had watched the full film, you would have learned that he did have savings set aside, but they were wiped out by having to do repairs from the Bangkok flooding 2 years ago.

Didn't he say that it was wiped out by a massive (and questionable) power bill that was for one whole year wiped out his 90k baht savings? Nothing to do with maintenance.

He must be going through a lot of power to hit over 8k baht a month. whistling.gif

I'm calling self serving <deleted>, on his woe is me nonsense.

Cheers

Didn't he say that it was wiped out by a massive (and questionable) power bill that was for one whole year wiped out his 90k baht savings? Nothing to do with maintenance.

He must be going through a lot of power to hit over 8k baht a month. whistling.gif

I'm calling self serving <deleted>, on his woe is me nonsense.

He said that the flooding wiped out the power meter at his home and and once power was restored, they didn't send him a bill for a long time. When it arrived, it was 100k baht. So yeah, power bill, not repairs.

No job. Wife and kids. A power bill arrives stating that you owe them 100k, all your savings. You hand it over.

Claptrap.

Utter.

Rearrange as nesseccary.

It's a minor point but I think the gentleman said he paid $3,000 not B100,000 which at the time was probably around B90,000. Also if the bill is not paid they (the electric company) will send someone to your home to disconnect the meter until the bill is paid. I can assure you they will do this as it happened to us about a year ago due to a mixup in paying the bill. They were pretty quick about it. Disconnected in the morning, we immediately paid the bill and reconnected in the afternoon.

The comments are all in the eye of the beholder....be aware that u fortunate 1s can judge...and when a similar thing would happen to....u gonna be judged....see how u feel then.

Bear in mind he has 3 kids, his wife was banging his brother and he mentions only halve of it all.

When people are down and nearly out.....they are alone because......guys like u judge instead of.....

Thai way better !

• Like 2

No job. Wife and kids. A power bill arrives stating that you owe them 100k, all your savings. You hand it over.

Claptrap.

Utter.

Rearrange as nesseccary.

It's a minor point but I think the gentleman said he paid $3,000 not B100,000 which at the time was probably around B90,000. Also if the bill is not paid they (the electric company) will send someone to your home to disconnect the meter until the bill is paid. I can assure you they will do this as it happened to us about a year ago due to a mixup in paying the bill. They were pretty quick about it. Disconnected in the morning, we immediately paid the bill and reconnected in the afternoon.

Not saying the powerbil is true but confirming your story.

I was on a holiday and a bit over 2 weeks late paying (bill was not here when i left). Just paid on the day i came back a bit later a guy came to disconnect my power, after i showed the payment receipt he went. So yes they do disconnect and fast too (not a bad thing in my opinion)

As for this story its sad if its true.. his brother doing his wife.. that must be painful for sure. Then him trapped with kids (you can say what you want but kids make a difference)

Anyway I would not give him money but if its all true then sure he is one unlucky guy.