The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

Is it a case of anything that good could not last? sad.png

i didn't see any for sale sign as others reported. but they seem to be lacking staff to run the place if the owner can't be there. there are just too many great places in town to go to have a meal w/o putting in so much effort. reminds me of one place in town that so many were raving about years ago. i think it was a pizza place or maybe even a burger shop i forget - that you had to phone the owner on his mobile and make an appointment to meet him to eat there! right.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at White Plate last weekend and the owner told me they are looking for a new location for their restaurant. One of the areas they are looking at is the Nimanhemin area. I wish them well and hope they can relocate there. I'll be able to walk to their restaurant along with being able to walk to the new Dukes at Maya. I love CM. :-)

• Like 1

Took some visiting friends here for lunch today....with all the bombastic reviews about this place we sadly all left somewhat disappointed.

The glorious beet/mango burger....more bun than burger...cute ingredient concept but if it wasn't added in I'm not sure if i'd miss it... blanched beet had zero flavor,mango from a can?....still reasonable value for 150 baht....if you like a really good bun. Excellent side of fries.

Cesar salad- should call it something else -the dressing had no elements of a true Cesar,closely related to a veggie-salad with a ranch-like dressing.

Carbonara was "terrible". The other menu-items ordered, two of which were "lost" in translation, were also reported to be .."ho-hum".

Perhaps just an off day for the kitchen,which does happen in this business - but the first impression just didn't have enough 'content' in the working order to pull me back for a 2nd try....however, I do wish them luck.

First time visit to JJ market and I could immediately see why they want to move...the whole place is in a death-spiral...from such a silly and confusing layout of shop space.

Moving to Nimm road?...Not sure if they could survive - without a consistent & solid performance from the kitchen and a creative boost to the overall menu, I believe they will be hard pressed to pay the outrageous rent. I hope they are not mesmerized by all the gushing reviews on TV... its not just Americans who eat out on Nimm.

and while on this subject check out the world's 10 most expensive burgers....warning -the pics will make you drool! 300 baht is a steal for a delicious, quality made burger.

http://most-expensive.com/burgers-world

Here's the cheapest "best" at $60 US

rossini-burger-burger-bar-450x337.jpg

I would like to try chef Daniel Boloud's creation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took some visiting friends here for lunch today....with all the bombastic reviews about this place we sadly all left somewhat disappointed.

The glorious beet/mango burger....more bun than burger...cute ingredient concept but if it wasn't added in I'm not sure if i'd miss it... blanched beet had zero flavor,mango from a can?....still reasonable value for 150 baht....if you like a really good bun. Excellent side of fries.

Cesar salad- should call it something else -the dressing had no elements of a true Cesar,closely related to a veggie-salad with a ranch-like dressing.

Carbonara was "terrible". The other menu-items ordered, two of which were "lost" in translation, were also reported to be .."ho-hum".

Perhaps just an off day for the kitchen,which does happen in this business - but the first impression just didn't have enough 'content' in the working order to pull me back for a 2nd try....however, I do wish them luck.

First time visit to JJ market and I could immediately see why they want to move...the whole place is in a death-spiral...from such a silly and confusing layout of shop space.

Moving to Nimm road?...Not sure if they could survive - without a consistent & solid performance from the kitchen and a creative boost to the overall menu, I believe they will be hard pressed to pay the outrageous rent. I hope they are not mesmerized by all the gushing reviews on TV... its not just Americans who eat out on Nimm.

I've been in their restaurant in the morning for breakfast while they are prepping for the afternoon. I've seen the staff slicing the beets and the mango.

I feel for anyone trying to run a business in chiang mai.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame removed
  • Like 2

i've called on this place 4 times now including today, only to find them closed each time. today they did have a sign saying closed for an emergency - "hopefully open tomorrow" or something like that. one attempt may have been on a Monday before i read here they were closed mon. So 4 attempts to give them my business is enough for me. good luck to them.

considering the hours have been posted all over this thread......seems like the problem is more with you than it is with them.

I've been in their restaurant in the morning for breakfast while they are prepping for the afternoon. I've seen the staff slicing the beets and the mango.

I feel for anyone trying to run a business in chiang mai. It's full of grumpy old "know it alls" and their prostitute wives complaining about anything they can.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people are going to be happier at Mad Dog’s or KFC. Nothing wrong with that.

Wife & I finally got there a week or so ago & it was very good indeed.

We both had the mango beet burger, Not the giant one as the price was only 150 I think ?

Anyway so very filling & delicious.

I have to admit when the subject of Beet & Mango on a burger came up here I could not imagine how it would taste

But it is very good :)

We both loved it & will definitely go back next time we need a burger.

He's i couldn't agree more. I got by there today and also had the mango and beet root burger. Fantastic! Everything was fresh and the bun was perfect size. 150 bht plus 30 for fries.......sorry Dave , dukes has just been relegated to 2 nd spot in best burger in CM category .

My feeling is, why would your have to rate a burger compared to The Duke's. Great burger at The White Plate. Leave it at that. I do not know the owner of The White Plate but I think he loves/hates this thread. Suffice to say that everyone should try it. Great promotion. The Duke's is doing American Angus burgers bla...bla...bla... American Angus compared to New Zealand beef? Better try it.

Because you sir, are the bench mark standard for me when it comes to western food in Chiang Mai. Notice I said for ME!

i've called on this place 4 times now including today, only to find them closed each time. today they did have a sign saying closed for an emergency - "hopefully open tomorrow" or something like that. one attempt may have been on a Monday before i read here they were closed mon. So 4 attempts to give them my business is enough for me. good luck to them.

considering the hours have been posted all over this thread......seems like the problem is more with you than it is with them.

nooooo. i said that one time i went was a Monday. another could have been before 13:00 but 2 other visits were during 'unexpected closures'. read more carefully. what's your problem anyway?

nooooo. i said that one time i went was a Monday. another could have been before 13:00 but 2 other visits were during 'unexpected closures'. read more carefully. what's your problem anyway?

.....he's too busy talking with his mouth full.....perhaps too many burgers and not enough fries for that boy thumbsup.gif

Edited by HaleySabai
  • Like 1

Wife & I finally got there a week or so ago & it was very good indeed.

We both had the mango beet burger, Not the giant one as the price was only 150 I think ?

Anyway so very filling & delicious.

I have to admit when the subject of Beet & Mango on a burger came up here I could not imagine how it would taste

But it is very good smile.png

We both loved it & will definitely go back next time we need a burger.

He's i couldn't agree more. I got by there today and also had the mango and beet root burger. Fantastic! Everything was fresh and the bun was perfect size. 150 bht plus 30 for fries.......sorry Dave , dukes has just been relegated to 2 nd spot in best burger in CM category .

My feeling is, why would your have to rate a burger compared to The Duke's. Great burger at The White Plate. Leave it at that. I do not know the owner of The White Plate but I think he loves/hates this thread. Suffice to say that everyone should try it. Great promotion. The Duke's is doing American Angus burgers bla...bla...bla... American Angus compared to New Zealand beef? Better try it.

Because you sir, are the bench mark standard for me when it comes to western food in Chiang Mai. Notice I said for ME!

I try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. There is the Dukes and several others in that category. Then there is the Gecko and several other in that category. Have no idea what category a beet root burger would fall into. I do know there is no comparison between the other two categories yet they are both great burgers although very different.

I try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. There is the Dukes and several others in that category. Then there is the Gecko and several other in that category. Have no idea what category a beet root burger would fall into. I do know there is no comparison between the other two categories yet they are both great burgers although very different.

Good point.

Though I've found it open the few times I've been (once it was busy and I didn't want to wait as she told me it would be a while). But I agree that there so many places that I would love to give my business to but won't go to only find them closed again (never the less I have to find parking, maybe walk in the hot sun when I don't want to make an afternoon out of it). There are some that say I can call first but really am I going to go to that effort just to stop in for a quick lunch when I find myself in that part of town? They shouldn't realistically expect their patrons to work that hard if they care about them and want to be successful. We're not talking Michelin stared Chefs after all (but there is a Chef in town who claims to be one but isn't, but that's for another time). Sorry to hear that this nice couple can't get their act together enough to run their potentially successful business professionally.

All people do on this forum is b*tch and moan. I'm sure everyone is sick of it. Moaning about going out in the heat? This is classic. You do realise you live in Thailand, right? If people just use their brain a bit more and look at the opening and closing times, there wouldn't be a problem. The White Plate advertises it's opening hours on their Facebook page and outside their store. For the few times they had to close, I heard was for personal issues. From my view, The White Plate is doing extremely well. What is this guy talking about?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All people do on this forum is b*tch and moan. I'm sure everyone is sick of it. Moaning about going out in the heat? This is classic. You do realise you live in Thailand, right? If people just use their brain a bit more and look at the opening and closing times, there wouldn't be a problem. The White Plate advertises it's opening hours on their Facebook page and outside their store. For the few times they had to close, I heard was for personal issues. From my view, The White Plate is doing extremely well. What is this guy talking about?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile a

Just stating the facts that after a few times I wouldn't walk 10 min in very hot weather if I wasn't sure if the place would be open or not. After living here many years I find myself doing as the Thai do and stay out of the mid-day sun during the hot season. There is another nice restaurant that I like but don't go anymore because they are closed so often for personal reasons. I rode a heavy downhill Mt Bike down canal rd at 1 pm yesterday for an hr after coming down Doi Suthep, so yes realize I live in Thailand, love it, and make the most of it by enjoying the nice weather that affords me outdoor activity year round but don't want to dine covered in sweat unlike when I'm participating in sports. As I haven't seen The White Plates books I have no idea if they are profitable but having owned restaurants for 25 yrs I know that they are not conducting their business as professionally as they could. So not only I don't think I'm "bitching and moaning" (well this time at least) I do consider that I acted proactively and tried to do something positive by speaking with the guy cooking and gave him a few technical suggestions on how he might improve product which he seems to appreciate.

i checked the place out the other day and had the chicken ceasar burger was fantastic definitely be going back, perhaps they have money and the 1-7pm opening hours keep them busy but not swept off their feet.

Well just from what ive noticed ever since they changed the hours it seem like its way busier there now than it was before. So whatever they are doing is working anyway!

Got to admit - The Mango Burger was a great suggestion! Now it looks like I will have to go back for the Pineapple burger. You gotta love these creative ideas! Hopefully they will still be open by the time I get there.

• Like 1

I went again for the 3rd time in the last 3 months and was very happy once again. I don't know how he does it, but the burgers at the White Plate are as good as back home and I love the way he cooks his fries. No one else in Chiang Mai does them that way. To me, one of the 150 baht burgers with a side of fries is very filling.

We debuted there yesterday, very good food. Bit too much cinnamon for me on the pineapple one though. Will certainly be a regular there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand