Poll: Thais want to see reform, laws upheld

Lite Beer

Corruption is the cancer of this country... if it's not cut out, the patient will die. Someone here or there has to go under the knife to begin the cure. It'll take many years and many operations for the patient's cancer to be called recession. The question is which surgeon do you choose?

My wife told me today that if Yingluck ran for PM again she would vote for her. I asked her why and she said that they are all the same and it really doesn't matter, nothing will change. We live in a small village, 21 houses and there was a recent election for "Area chief", three villages. She voted for the one that gave her the most money, 300 baht I think. She truly believes that that's just the way Thai politics works and there will be no change.

And my wife asks every day "Why Yingluk not stop working?"

And she truly believes its a shame to buy votes...So :-)

Well wayned if you sent the village headman to prison for 20 years for corruption election fraud then gave your wife 5 years for the same...She might get off light if she testified against him. It would stop in a hurry.

If this poll is anything to go by (which is questionable given the lack of details and the sample size) the respondents appear to imply that upholding of the law is the main priority.

This is something that will not be fixed by political reform.

Why even have new laws if the judiciary and police continue to apply them as they do.

Lets not forget where the roots of this protest came from.

The Amnesty bill rightly drew condemnation from large parts of society that went beyond political affiliations.

The initial complaint of the protesters was that wrong doers should be held accountable for their actions and the amnesty bill was not acceptable.

People on both sides of the political divide opposed it.

I think there is a commonality from the majority of the population and that is that everybody should be equal in the eyes of the law.

Clearly that is something that doesn't exist.

This is as much a social and cultural issue as it is a legal one.

The failure of both the Judiciary and the Police force to apply the law evenly is evident to everybody.

The law must be applied equally to everyone, irrespective of their wealth or influence.

This is not the case and no amount of "Political Reform" will fix it it either.

Edited by wave
  • Like 1

If Thais knew their laws, they might no want them to be upheld. Thailand is full laws, if they were to be strictly enforced Thais would most probably revolt. Bargirls would probably form their own party. Or they could cancel the laws, but the probability of that happening ..

• Like 1

If this poll is to be believed then maybe Thais are coming round to the idea that institutionalised corruption does not have to be the norm and hope really does spring eternal.

Will make encouraging reading for the people, not so for the politicians. wai2.gif

I agree with you,this could be the first step forward but it will take a few twists and turns to the show on the road and you can bet there will be a few interested parties who will want to block this, as if rich is not rich enough and if egos are not strataspheric. Times are changing, time for the quick and the dead.

Pols have a tendency to get a desired response based on how the question was framed.

Reform implies change for the better,

Who can be against that?

"Hide your women and cattle while politicians institute reforms"

A strong constitution and an impartial enforcement of it is the only reform necessary.

Problem is YL her owner wants it to go away. Change is in his disadvantage. Actually its in the disadvantage of most corrupt politicians, I am sure that more then a few yellow ones hope that this change never happens.

But even if an idiot like Suthep brings change it should be welcomed.

Yes there is going to be huge opposition from those who are now in caretaker power and their boss for if the correct changes are put in place he will never get his amnesty.

That of course is why "We will do it after the elections" for they are sure they will win, but then again they have only won 1 out of 5 since the general election and this time the yellows wont be told not to vote.

Don't know why you keep calling Suthep an idiot, take a look at what he has achieved in a month and a half.

He has achieved a lot, I wont deny that but he is also no saint and he is being to extreme. It looks too much as if he wants to hold on to power as a dictator. If he just comes out better and less extreme he would have much more support.

Agree he's no saint but he does seem to be determined to generate strong changes to reduce vote buying etc.

Is he's not strong on this his efforts will surely be wasted.

I say again, he's no saint but I hope he hangs in there and does generate real and valuable change.

Also hope there are no more casualties.

Problem is YL her owner wants it to go away. Change is in his disadvantage. Actually its in the disadvantage of most corrupt politicians, I am sure that more then a few yellow ones hope that this change never happens.

Yes there is going to be huge opposition from those who are now in caretaker power and their boss for if the correct changes are put in place he will never get his amnesty.

That of course is why "We will do it after the elections" for they are sure they will win, but then again they have only won 1 out of 5 since the general election and this time the yellows wont be told not to vote.

Don't know why you keep calling Suthep an idiot, take a look at what he has achieved in a month and a half.

He has achieved a lot, I wont deny that but he is also no saint and he is being to extreme. It looks too much as if he wants to hold on to power as a dictator. If he just comes out better and less extreme he would have much more support.

Agree he's no saint but he does seem to be determined to generate strong changes to reduce vote buying etc.

Is he's not strong on this his efforts will surely be wasted.

I say again, he's no saint but I hope he hangs in there and does generate real and valuable change.

Also hope there are no more casualties.

I agree, I don't care much for him but if he can make some change things for the good ill praise him for it. Change is what is needed else the fighting stays forever. Taking the money out of politics (corruption) is the only way to go in my opinion.

• Like 1

My wife told me today that if Yingluck ran for PM again she would vote for her. I asked her why and she said that they are all the same and it really doesn't matter, nothing will change. We live in a small village, 21 houses and there was a recent election for "Area chief", three villages. She voted for the one that gave her the most money, 300 baht I think. She truly believes that that's just the way Thai politics works and there will be no change.

And my wife asks every day "Why Yingluk not stop working?"

And she truly believes its a shame to buy votes...So :-)

Wait until her brother removes the batteries. wink.png

• Like 1

Same same, But still votes for who she thinks would do the best job. thumbsup.gif

Corruption is the cancer of this country... if it's not cut out, the patient will die. Someone here or there has to go under the knife to begin the cure. It'll take many years and many operations for the patient's cancer to be called recession. The question is which surgeon do you choose?

Well Doctor, the patient is already in a critical conditon, I'm not sure that surgery would help! There are one or two cancerous cells that need removing asap. But the patient doesn't seem willing to have the opperation at this time. We have suggested other preventative measures, which could arrest the situation, But untill the main cause of the cancer is removed, there is no hope for the patient!

• Like 1

Well go back and inform your wife that she is very wrong.

This country is definitely going to make sure the likes of her can not put people into power any more for the sake of a few baht. Tell her from me that her and all her kind who are screwing this country up because of personal greed will be stamped out and that I hope to see her and her lot rotting in prison one day for vote selling.

her and her lot rotting in prison? How do you process that? Vote buying is full scale everywhere.

The better short term solution would be: she takes the money from everyone, not making enemies and vote for whoever seems the most honest, no matter if received money.

Amazing, so you condone corruption, takes the money from everyone ??? no short term solution. Your government ( because you never see wrong there) are responsible for corruption, they don't stop it because it is in their personal interest. it flows through local government to this wife of a poster, they feel it's normal, and no word from you it's out of order, feel sorry for your attitude.

This is why corruption is alive and well here. It starts at the very top and continues its healthy to the very bottom. Everybody does it so its OK. It's like parking in the street, or ripping off tourists. The way of the land.

• Like 1

This really is 'make or break ' time for Thais. Of course there has to be planned reforms before any meaningful

election. Votes have to stop being bought, though some accuse the Democrats of doing the buying, then in the next breath, the Red Shirts are accused. They cannot both be spending the most money on vote buying?!!

Until recently at an academic meeting, I had no idea just how vast a part corruption plays in everyday life in LOS!

• Like 1

People want change, but what kind of change? Is there any talk what the reform should include in practical level?

Basically, decreasing the power of politicians while increasing that of the public. For example:

- Lifting the statute of limitations for graft charges

- Removal of members of parliament (house and senate) can be triggered by public initiatives signed by at least 20,000 citizens; the National Anti-Corruption Commission must issue a decision on removal in 6 months.

- Enacting laws on economic reform such as on transportation and poverty. Specific commissions will be established to oversee such reforms rather than superficial populist policies that massively increase the national debt without benefitting intended recipients (such as the failed rice pledge scheme).

A LOT !

Yingluck must resign from her caretaker premiership. Afterwards the political and legal vacuum can be addressed under Section 7 of the Constitution, which refers to precedent when no other Constitutional provision applies. During the 14 October 1973 uprising, after Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn fled in exile a People's Assembly with 2347 members was established which in turn selected a prime minister who appointed a new cabinet.

I think this kind of change will need another kind of Nelson Mandela a person with great courage and with the backing of the country , where there is a will there is a way.

Another Nelson Mandela?

Thailand already got rid of one terrorist, sort of. They don't need another one.

I can't believe you posted this.

How unbelievably ridiculous.

• Like 1

Of course if Thaksin is voted in again, there will be no reform whatsoever, maybe some lip service but nothing will really change, as Thaksin made the system the way it stands today and he wants to keep it that way as he can get away with almost anything he wants...

Never happen.

"...laws upheld..." that is, until they get stopped roadside (whilst speeding, drink-driving, not wearing seatbelt, etc), then 'popping' a little tea-money over the window will be just what they want to make the problem go away. Me tinks greed is the main motivator, here

• Like 1

1) there are laws in place! Problem is "Thais" don't give a hoot!

2) "Thais" can not even decide, what their laws are! ("I am not prostitute- I work bar!")

3) Are these the same "Thais" who -in their majority- think that corruption is "okay'ish" as long as the benefit from it?!

Pols have a tendency to get a desired response based on how the question was framed.

Reform implies change for the better,

Who can be against that?

"Hide your women and cattle while politicians institute reforms"

A strong constitution and an impartial enforcement of it is the only reform necessary.

/agree

Also polls need a decent amount of respondents to increase their accuracy.

e.g. Even if they asked a very neutral question, which didn't unduly influence people's votes, and if they asked from a varied segment of the population, as a university would be expected to for anything like this. Then the poll still only has 631 respondents... I don't know exactly how the margin of error is calculated, but polls of 600-800 people in New Zealand are often quoted as having a margin or error of around 3%, which is fine. But New Zealand has 4.4 Million people, Thailand has around 70 Million.... I'm sure that the margin of error won't increase in the same proportion (e.g. 17 times more population = 17 x the margin of error), but I'd assume that it'd still have a huge margin of error.