My near death experience today

yankee99

well, it was a nice ride yankee.

i see that coming 20 seconds ago just before you were passing me and as you can see i took the left lane as saw that truck will create problems.

God bless you have good reflexes.

And all these comments like ride in the track, be careful etc. If you really scare these kind of moments and has no balls, just buy a car or a wave and forget big bikes as whatever you do and you can be the slowest and most careful biker in this world still someone might come and hit you.

Besides, we dont ride at 220 km all the time, just sometime some speed bursts and that is all.

Anyway, it was a fast ride and i liked that, i did not get bored of it, one of the rare instances at group rides in Thailand.

also yankee, i have the video of that moment as well and i will extract this and post it here soon.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the video does make you think. Two of the other three bikes are tv members.

I don't know how much experience do you have but you did a great job avoiding that.99% of all people in same situation would brake instantly and thus definitely crash,you did a good choice and tried to actually pass it rather than just brake.

You're forgeting thailand is accident hub of the world with 30,000 casualities a year.On thai roads one really doesn't need 160kmh+ speed.I've had too much problems and avoiding accidents when i ride above 150/160kmh,i don't even remember when i pass that speed last time and truth to be told i don't even miss it,just too much thongs can go wrong on thai roads

You really think his brain could think that quickly...don't give the fool credit for a reflex action any trained monkey could do without a thought process.

Actually i agree with GotR1ght the guy has skills to avoid it, he is stupid for going so fast on a road like that but someone with lesser skills would be dead. But I am pretty sure that if he goes on like this we will read about his demise. Hopefully he wont take anyone with him.

• Like 2

i see that coming 20 seconds ago just before you were passing me and as you can see i took the left lane as saw that truck will create problems.

And all these comments like ride in the track, be careful etc. If you really scare these kind of moments and has no balls, just buy a car or a wave and forget big bikes as whatever you do and you can be the slowest and most careful biker in this world still someone might come and hit you.

Besides, we dont ride at 220 km all the time, just sometime some speed bursts and that is all.

Anyway, it was a fast ride and i liked that, i did not get bored of it, one of the rare instances at group rides in Thailand.

also yankee, i have the video of that moment as well and i will extract this and post it here soon.

Looking forward to see that video.

If you go such speed on thai roads you better have the "skills" to move your bike a few meters left or right. We are mainly talking about fear and the result of being paralyzed in such situation because of fear. Yes, riding in fear isn't a good idea, doesn't matter at what speed. But in such situation there is no time to panik, if you do panik you already have been in fear before the incidence.

The sad thing here is the endangering of others. Honestly, i find it hard to have respect for you "monkey hunter" guys.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Well Yankee, it looks like you've been "peer reviewed" and the bad news is....you failed.

Two brain farts. Both in public. The road "incident" and then posting here and attempting to deflect the inevitable criticism.

Are you any different than the Somchais in their pickups going 50kph+ faster than the other traffic as they weave thru the lanes? No, you are not.

Watching the Keith Code video multiple times does not make you SuperGT, and most everybody else on the road would like to make it home.

The bicycle suggestion is the one you should take to heart.

• Like 1

Looking forward to see that video.

I will send it to yankee and he posts here or not, up to him.

Interesting thread and reactions,

When posting such a video, you're sure to get some strong reactions.

Riding at such speeds at any public road is potential dangerous, but you don't own a Z1000 to stick to the speed limits................

Op was lucky and had a good reaction on the "situation" not aprove or disaprove his riding style.

Ofcourse a lot of people pointing there finger at the OP how irisponsible he his,but i think despite his high speed he might be more thinking about other roadusers then the average ( Thai) roaduser, who think it;s totaly normal to take a shortcut on the wrong side of the road.

To everybody out there, be safe and enjoy riding ( fast or slow)

• Like 1

Totally irresponsible I think.

We all are from time to time, let's admit it, but even if I could (I ride a 400cc thumper), I wouldn't ride that fast.

I guess that's the advantage of having a smallish bike like my SR. At 120kmh you feel like you're going 200! :-)

You say if moments like this scare you and you have no balls buy a car or a Wave. I'm sorry loserlaser but with that statement you've cemented your status as the forum troll.

You say if moments like this scare you and you have no balls buy a car or a Wave. I'm sorry loserlaser but with that statement you've cemented your status as the forum troll.

well, if my post broke you heart, up to you man, but <deleted> are you to tell me this? cement mixer?

just say something reasonable or man up!

well, if my post broke you heart, up to you man, but <deleted> are you to tell me this? cement mixer?

You didn't break my heart, I'm just disappointed in you, especially as you are one of the keenest riders and I've stood your corner simply because of that.

Typical response from you as usual .

What makes this post very , very interesting is the possible outcome.

Can anyone remember the guy who posted his video driving his bike at over 150Km/Hr through heavy traffic somewhere near Pattaya about 4 years ago? He almost hit a water bufflo. And the Thai owner reported it to the police but he had no way of knowing that. His video was posted just like this on TV and Youtube. About a month later the BiB knocked on his door. Confiscated his bike, fined him and sent him to the pokey. Because of Thailand's strong Internet laws they can trace you if they so desire. And you just admitted it and there's the evidence for all to see. You may have just screwed yourself. But then again...you might walk. Here's hoping you are one of the lucky ones.

• Like 2

^

Agree, i can not see great skills here. Just a reflex and pure luck. Better take it as a warning not as a proof of skills.

Although i understand what you are saying in this case you are wrong. I am not claiming to have great skills but if you understand motorcycle steering you know this wasnt reflex and luck.

Normal reflex would be to brake yank the bars left (forcing your bike right) and visually fixate on the truck as you crash. I did see the truck and made a conscious decision to avoid by going left by counter steering and not locking the brakes. There was a time in my life that my survival reaction would have got me killed there but my anti survival reactions saved me.

I could say congratulations for avoiding a slow moving truck you saw from hundreds of meters away, but really the kudos go to the people on the road that weren't killed by someone going irresponsibly fast. There was a time I drove like you did, but never with traffic like we have in Thailand. The thing that will get you, and the innocent other driver, is something you will not have time to react to like a motorbike pulling out of a driveway or median pass that you did not see.

• Like 1

I had an idiot walk out in front of me last week. 2 lanes each way, outside lane, they're looking the other way the entire time, I get on the horn immediately and start to emergency stage brake, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP, nothing, the idiot must have had their iPod on. Only looked with the screech of the tyres after I had to emergency stop at which point my front tyre just kissed their leg. They didn't even look again just continued across the second 2 lanes as if nothing happened and I wasn't there.

You always have to be on your guard in Thailand. A non-closed off road and 200kph says a lot about the rider and riders supporting such behavior.

You didn't break my heart, I'm just disappointed in you, especially as you are one of the keenest riders and I've stood your corner simply because of that.

birdsandbooze, sorry for my harsh comment. i just got you wrong. apologies as you are also right on your idea. I am not supporting here to do 220 kph on Thai roads or going at that speeds all the time too.

but believe me, it is not like we ride at 220 kph all the way! it was just a 10 second instance like any toyota fortuner driver do 220 kph - yes they do - here when the road is empty miles ahead, we all do high speeds in life at times for small periods, to test our vehicles or check if they perform well as specced etc, you dont?

But, yes that stupid truck slowed down in the middle of the lane and yankee might crash that which is dangerous and sometime shit happens so we have to be careful.

what i was saying, riding a motorcycle is dangerous naturally and whatever we do, sometime shit happens.

just read the post of a user here losing his leg while riding at 15 kph. check it out so it not only speed. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/676344-where-to-perforate-leather/?p=7161968

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

To all those folks who are saying OP is a moron please point at someone who owns a big bike and never did break top speed on the highway.It's not like op is doing 230kmh 24/7.I agree that luck was involved too,if there were couple of cars in the other line it would be hard to avoid it.

Also to anyone who's saying this is only luck not skill - bullcrap. Anyone who manage to go from 100% death situation to only "that was close" takes some skill,especially at that speed.

If that was a car instead of bike there's a high chance that car would oversteer doing that manouver at that speed.

• Like 1

To all those folks who are saying OP is a moron please point at someone who owns a big bike and never did break top speed on the highway.It's not like op is doing 230kmh 24/7.I agree that luck was involved too,if there were couple of cars in the other line it would be hard to avoid it.

Also to anyone who's saying this is only luck not skill - bullcrap. Anyone who manage to go from 100% death situation to only "that was close" takes some skill,especially at that speed.

If that was a car instead of bike there's a high chance that car would oversteer doing that manouver at that speed.

Agreed. Most liter bikes can do above 200kmh easily. All would have at one point gone past there to test or experience that.

But you would have to agree that the OP was not wise to do what he did that day. I know it was a pretty straight road but there were heavy traffic on both lanes for the speed he was going. He was weaving in and out on both lanes, splitting traffic and throttling up and down.

Combine all these, it was not the place and time to do it.

Some argue that the pickup was wrong to cut across lanes, what if it was a broken down stationary vehicle instead OR a minor accident just happened and the obstacle was standstill?

What about the fate of the somchai on his left that he narrowly missed?

Skill or not? Pro or not? That was not the time.

Edited by thai4me
  • Like 1

Op - I have no criticism about your riding at speed. Been there done that.

But you were actually late with your reactions in my view. You should have been aware of that truck at least one, and maybe two seconds before you did at 1:30 on your video. One to two seconds would have allowed you to decelerate more (possibly a little braking as well), moved left and easily achieved an additional 40-80klm off the speed you passed at, and it would not have looked anywhere near as dramatic.

It's probably lucky that you took your eyes off the speedo when you did. I suspect the little wobble at 1:30 was when you looked up and saw what was happening. Another 1/2 a second of admiring your speedo and you were toast.

Hint: Apply some gaffer tape to cover your speedo and you won't be tempted to take your eyes off the road to look at it. The speedo is superfluous\ on a sportsbike.

Edit: Just to clarify - I've ridden and raced all my life. But I haven't seen a road (highway, motorway, or any other road) in Thailand that I would ever consider riding a sportsbike on, never mind riding at 200 plus.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Op - I have no criticism about your riding at speed. Been there done that.

But you were actually late with your reactions in my view. You should have been aware of that truck at least one, and maybe two seconds before you did at 1:30 on your video. One to two seconds would have allowed you to decelerate more (possibly a little braking as well), moved left and easily achieved an additional 40-80klm off the speed you passed at, and it would not have looked anywhere near as dramatic.

It's probably lucky that you took your eyes off the speedo when you did. I suspect the little wobble at 1:30 was when you looked up and saw what was happening. Another 1/2 a second of admiring your speedo and you were toast.

Hint: Apply some gaffer tape to cover your speedo and you won't be tempted to take your eyes off the road to look at it. The speedo is superfluous\ on a sportsbike.

Edit: Just to clarify - I've ridden and raced all my life. But I haven't seen a road (highway, motorway, or any other road) in Thailand that I would ever consider riding a sportsbike on, never mind riding at 200 plus.

Your edit is exactly right, these roads are just not good enough to drive at these lunatic speeds!

What is irritating is that the numbnutts involved and those that support him....have no issue with what could easily happen and result in the death or maiming of an innocent party.....all so numbnutts could have a thrill on a public road

Go play with your testosterone with your pals on a racetrack and video that, so when you pile into the concrete barrier and we recover your gopro footage, we can all have a good chuckle, but be thankfull that you did not do it to anyone else.

• Like 2

I got a ninja 650 and its supposed to go 220km/h or at least that is what they say. I can tell you the fastest I have been was 160 and that was only to tip that speed and go slower again on an quite empty road. What I like about the bike is the torque not its top speed i would not want to try that out here in Thailand.

I might be a far less competent driver as many but top speed does not do it for me. I usually cruise at the speed of traffic maybe a bit faster but not 50km / h faster as the rest of traffic. I also wont zig zag like you see some people do.

Everyone has their own riding style and skills, some love to test them and pay for it. I just hope they wont take people with them. Speeding is normal here.. but 220 km/h is extreme speeding in my opinion.

Live and let live.. i still think its dangerous to do here.. if it was only his life so be it. But at these speeds a bike can take out a car.

I agree that you antisurvival reactions were in play. But then you looked up and went Holy crap! And your mortality was made painfully obvious.

He peed his pants and then thought..I know, I'll get my manhood back by posting it on TV and they will all be in shock and awe of my outstanding skill and coolness.

• Like 1