Anti-Thaksin demonstrators to protest at US Embassy in Bangkok

webfact

Anti-Thaksin demonstrators to protest at US Embassy

12-16-2013-9-55-46-AM-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Student and People’s Network for the Reform of Thailand will protest at the US Embassy today for what its leaders said was the interference in the Thai internal affairs over its support for the caretaker government to hold the February 2 general elections.

The scheduled protest today prompted the Royal Thai Police to beef up security at the US Embassy in Bangkok with over a hundred anti-riot police are now deployed.

Meanwhile the US Embassy today put out a release saying that it expected the protest sometime between 1.00-4.00 p.m.

It said that although this gathering is expected to be peaceful, if you plan to be in the vicinity, you should be mindful that any large gathering holds the possibility of risk, and that traffic around the Embassy will be impacted. It is also possible that access to the Embassy will be restricted. Demonstrations are unpredictable and can turn violent without warning. For this reason, we encourage you to monitor local media for information about possible demonstrations and to avoid the vicinity of demonstration. Information about the demonstration may also be available on our website as well as through Facebook and Twitter.

Group leader Nititorn Lamlua said demonstrators would obstruct the election by all peaceful means, for example the opening of the first day of candidate registration on December 22 which would not be allowed to take place.

He also said protests would also made at US and EC embassies which threw support for the February 2 elections reasoning that it was the interference of Thai internal affairs.

He said the group did not oppose to election but would like it be held after the reform has accomplished and general election taken care by an interim government without the hands of this caretaker government.

He also said if the February 2 election is held before the reform, bad and corrupted politicians of the Thaksin regime would all return to power through vote-buying and through the caretaker government politicians.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/anti-thaksin-demonstrators-protest-us-embassy/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-16

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is he still going to seize the Embassy or has he decided upon the more sensible approach of peaceful assembly?

'“…and the US. Listen the US Embassy. As a lawyer, I know well that if I enter your area then your law is used; it is your territory. But if you discriminate against Thais and Thailand. You say that the people today are not democratic [and] why not have an election, but when the same happens in another country, [you say the people did the right thing. Soon will take [the protesters?] to tread on the territory of the US Embassy… Tread on it!… To be clear, listen the US Embassy.. [and] becomes extremely animated and raises his voice]… I will invade [and] seize the Embassy'

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117248/protest-leader-threatens-to-seize-us-embassy/

• Like 1

And only a couple of weeks ago, these same people were demanding that the US interfere in the scene

(By ending its relationship with the Thai government)- this is insane- but to be expected.)

And of course it is normal to demonstrate at embassies. happens all over the world- but threatening to seize an embassy?

Hope they have thought this through..;.

Edited by blaze
  • Like 2

So is he still going to seize the Embassy or has he decided upon the more sensible approach of peaceful assembly?

'“…and the US. Listen the US Embassy. As a lawyer, I know well that if I enter your area then your law is used; it is your territory. But if you discriminate against Thais and Thailand. You say that the people today are not democratic [and] why not have an election, but when the same happens in another country, [you say the people did the right thing. Soon will take [the protesters?] to tread on the territory of the US Embassy… Tread on it!… To be clear, listen the US Embassy.. [and] becomes extremely animated and raises his voice]… I will invade [and] seize the Embassy'

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117248/protest-leader-threatens-to-seize-us-embassy/

Reminds me of Tehran.

• Like 1

US embassy targeted for 'seizure'
By Coconuts Bangkok

embassy2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two days after announcing they would occupy the U.S. embassy in Bangkok, a group of anti-government demonstrators have yet to make good on their threat.

Police have been on alert since Nititorn Lamlua, the leader of the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand, announced Saturday night he would lead his group to capture the embassy in response to its stated support of the Thai government's plan to hold new elections Feb. 2.

"Listen carefully," he told protesters gathered near the Government House in the capital's Dusit district. "We will storm and seize the embassy."

The statements from the U.S. Department of State served to legitimize the caretaker government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, he said.

No date was set for the action and Nititorn's group have not left their base at the Chamai Maruchet bridge. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/12/16/us-embassy-targeted-seizure

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-12-16

"So is he still going to seize the Embassy or has he decided upon the more sensible approach of peaceful assembly?"

Which option would give him the most mileage to his objectives and the most world wide attention? Which option would put the most pressure on the PTP via the US and world opinion? I'd say your former option because that would require military intervention aka a coup. They the military seem to be the ones who really have the power to change the government but in international opinion they lack the justification to intervene. Seizing the US Embassy would be just the ticket for them.

It's a bit of a guessing game at this point

Cheers, LD

Brilliant move. Not.

The US position is similar to that of Russia, China, Australia and the EU and others.

Unlike past embassy seizures, I think this time the US will defend itself. The current US government isn't in the mood to entertain trespassers and protestors will get hurt. Interesting how the protestors aren't willing to swarm the Chinese embassy, even though China has been more forceful in its support of the current government. Perhaps the potential of 500,000 PLA troops visiting is sufficient deterrent. laugh.png

Well that comment is about as insane as it gets.

What are you saying here? That the US embassy guards are going to 'mow down' Thai citizens in it's own capital? You got to be joking, more like they will all jump into helicopters and run the hell out of town.

The same goes with the Chinese embassy. They wouldn't dare shoot at Thai protesters. The mob will not allow that, and if they did, there won't be a land invasion from China, that is even more pathetic than saying the US would be prepared to do that.

What it will do is start a diplomatic war which will come to nothing but talk and chatter. Do you think a mob of protesters care about that?

They are working hard to change their country, and no way are any outsiders going to stop them, lest they be torn to shreds. If a US guard shoots at Thais, I expect every US citizen to jump on the first plane out of dodge.

• Like 2

Security at US embassy tightened on reports of oncoming protest

BANGKOK, 16 December 2013 (NNT) - Security measures have been tightened around the US embassy in Bangkok after anti-government demonstrators announced plans to march to the embassy.

Police have dispatched forces to guard the embassy after the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) said on Saturday night it would protest and possibly seize the US embassy in protest of Washington's support for Thailand's caretaker government.

Thai authorities made known that the embassy ground cannot be occupied as it enjoys full extraterritorial status and is not sovereign territory of Thailand.

Following the government’s reform forum on Sunday, police cannot verify whether the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will further hold rallies against the setting up of the general election in February. Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban earlier withdrew from the forum hours after agreeing to participate in the meeting.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-16 footer_n.gif

This development is concerning to American citizens living in Thailand. While the embassy isn't exactly U.S. territory in a literal sense, its as close as it gets. My advice to Americans in Thailand at this point in time: THINK SWISS.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The guy who stated this is PAD, different than the Suthep led group. The U.S. needs to chill, for sure, but the group who said they'd seize the U.S.Embassy is not the same as Sutheps....

Security at US embassy tightened on reports of oncoming protest

BANGKOK, 16 December 2013 (NNT) - Security measures have been tightened around the US embassy in Bangkok after anti-government demonstrators announced plans to march to the embassy.

Police have dispatched forces to guard the embassy after the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) said on Saturday night it would protest and possibly seize the US embassy in protest of Washington's support for Thailand's caretaker government.

Thai authorities made known that the embassy ground cannot be occupied as it enjoys full extraterritorial status and is not sovereign territory of Thailand.

Following the government’s reform forum on Sunday, police cannot verify whether the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will further hold rallies against the setting up of the general election in February. Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban earlier withdrew from the forum hours after agreeing to participate in the meeting.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-12-16 footer_n.gif

Read the above closely.

Protection of the US Embassy by Suthep's protesters is a Royal Thai Police issue. Thai's against Thai's. It is up to the Thai police to handle this Thai group.

• Like 2

I'm not sure i understand LD.

Are you suggesting that the threat of having their property invaded will cause the US governement to sever its ties with the thai gov't?

I don't think the US can be so easily bullied- IF the protesters want to destroy ANY sympathy that they might enjoy internationally, this is the best way to do it-

Even by making the threat, I can well imagine that the US will be considering placing the entire movement under watch- possibly on the list of terrorist organizations.

America- and most countries- do not adjust their foreign affairs according to the dictates of a mob of lunatics.

Not severing ties with the US at all, although there are probably some of us here that would say that's a good idea.

What I suggested is that perhaps Suthep is going after the biggest bully in the world to promote his cause.

Think about it. I gave a speculative opinion and said it was a guessing game at this point and what would be wrong with bullying the worlds only super power?

Edited by Local Drunk

Wasn't Suthep quoted a few days ago that they would "lay siege" to the US Embassy? Sounded to me like a big protest outside the Embassy to me, not "seizing" it. Perhaps somebody's talking dic(tionary) stuffed up the translation. I just don't see the average protestor participating in a massive and very dangerous escalation like this. Guess we'll find out here shortly.

No... Suthep was never quoted.