synthetic oil change benefit or bullsh1t

bealus

But how much longer is a lot longer?

What is the estimated life of an engine using non synthetic oil?

If the extended period of life does not benefit the original buyer or increase the re-sale value for the original buyer... Is it worth it for the original buyer to spend the extra cost?

The cost quoted to me for synthetic oil, was aprox 2,000 thb more expensive

So with oil change aprox every 4 months ... That is 6,000 thb extra per year or 30,000 thb extra over 5 yrs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can leave syn in for 3 times more than min. BUT, the main thing is syn deals with pressures far more than min in that time. In the end the engine is happy, lasts longer.

Give up Mate, the Cheap Charlies are determind to put Your sound reasoning to the Sword.thumbsup.gif

You can leave syn in for 3 times more than min. BUT, the main thing is syn deals with pressures far more than min in that time. In the end the engine is happy, lasts longer.

Give up Mate, the Cheap Charlies are determind to put Your sound reasoning to the Sword.thumbsup.gif

I have a post up my sleeve BUT they won't accept it for sure.............laugh.png

I have a post up my sleeve BUT they won't accept it for sure.............laugh.png

Post it in the Teaching Section.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

But how much longer is a lot longer? What is the estimated life of an engine using non synthetic oil? If the extended period of life does not benefit the original buyer or increase the re-sale value for the original buyer... Is it worth it for the original buyer to spend the extra cost? The cost quoted to me for synthetic oil, was aprox 2,000 thb more expensive So with oil change aprox every 4 months ... That is 6,000 thb extra per year or 30,000 thb extra over 5 yrs

That is the crux of the matter. My 2.2 litre has almost 300,000 km and burns no oil.

Will using synthetic make it last 3 times as long, due to oil change intervals being 3 times as long, and the oil being 3 times the cost ?

In a normal - make that non high-performance engine, I can not see the advantage.

Without a doubt synthetic it is a better lubricant, but I will use it in my hi-po applications only.

Perhaps , but the dealership has clearly advised me each time that it is essential that I come in before 10,000 km is up or that Mitsu will void the warranty if waiting even 1 km over 10,000 since last check up.

So regardless of wether I use synthetic or regular oil, the dealership is going to want to change the oil every 10,000 km and if don't and something goes wrong would have to battle them to honor warranty and they are saying they won't accept...

So not really a "cheap Charlie" issue, just a question of additional costs without receiving any additional value

y very

Perhaps , but the dealership has clearly advised me each time that it is essential that I come in before 10,000 km is up or that Mitsu will void the warranty if waiting even 1 km over 10,000 since last check up.

So regardless of wether I use synthetic or regular oil, the dealership is going to want to change the oil every 10,000 km and if don't and something goes wrong would have to battle them to honor warranty and they are saying they won't accept...

So not really a "cheap Charlie" issue, just a question of additional costs without receiving any additional value

y very

For warranty they are correct. BUT, YOU advise what oil YOU want during the warranty period and after warranty YOU continue using YOUR oil preference...............thumbsup.gif

Give up Mate, the Cheap Charlies are determined to put Your sound reasoning to the Sword.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

^^^ Truly, a TransAm-esque moment for AOP! tongue.png

But how much longer is a lot longer? What is the estimated life of an engine using non synthetic oil? If the extended period of life does not benefit the original buyer or increase the re-sale value for the original buyer... Is it worth it for the original buyer to spend the extra cost? The cost quoted to me for synthetic oil, was aprox 2,000 thb more expensive So with oil change aprox every 4 months ... That is 6,000 thb extra per year or 30,000 thb extra over 5 yrs

That is the crux of the matter. My 2.2 litre has almost 300,000 km and burns no oil.

Will using synthetic make it last 3 times as long, due to oil change intervals being 3 times as long, and the oil being 3 times the cost ?

In a normal - make that non high-performance engine, I can not see the advantage.

Without a doubt synthetic it is a better lubricant, but I will use it in my hi-po applications only.

Synthetic oil protects and lubricates better than Mineral-based oils.

It's the 'when' (and / or 'whether') to use it that is, (once again), one of those decisions that is based on each individual's particular circumstances:

Synthetic oil is definitely for the demanding enthusiasts and those who look to keep their vehicular investment for the long run, but may not be the 'oil of choice' for those who intend to sell their vehicles at some point and/or are more concerned about their budgets.

This will soon all be mute as more and more mfg begin to require Synthetic oil to warrant their better performing engines. We just happen to be in a period of transition here and it's hard to get everyone on board ahead of the curve.

Edited by thailoht

A Diesel Engine works at a much higher compression than benzine so any help from the lubricant is beneficial I have no need for slightly more expensive oil, but i use it. Why ?. because i dont shortchange the bloke who has our rides every 2 years or so when i can give the best. Some foks get pleasure from dumping unwanted rides for a profit,some of us have a conchince, or a word similar.

• 3 weeks later...

What is Synthetic?

Did miniral stock got synthesized call Synthetic?

Group base III, III+ still miniral base which most of product marketed in Thailand is in this category.

Why don't you try import ester base, like Red Line Oil is make and packaging in Benecia, CA. and ship to Thai distributor ready for sell. Non repacking, rebottling, what you would get from US is what sell in Thailand.

google "Red Line Oil" and pin point location to Thailand you will find place to buy.

Are you saying that Red Line Synthetic oil (which has a good reputation) is derived from a different base than from, say, Mobil 1 Synthetic?

Are not the synthetic Mobil 1, Castroil, etc. oils sold in LOS the exact same chemical compositions as their USA based versions?

The Thai 'repacking, rebottling' process, in itself, doesn't change the composition of the synthetic oil does it - or does it?

What is Synthetic?

Group base III, III+ still miniral base which most of product marketed in Thailand is in this category.

Why don't you try import ester base, like Red Line Oil is make and packaging in Benecia, CA. and ship to Thai distributor ready for sell. Non repacking, rebottling, what you would get from US is what sell in Thailand.

google "Red Line Oil" and pin point location to Thailand you will find place to buy.

Are you saying that Red Line Synthetic oil (which has a good reputation) is derived from a different base than from, say, Mobil 1 Synthetic?

Are not the synthetic Mobil 1, Castroil, etc. oils sold in LOS the exact same chemical compositions as their USA based versions?

The Thai 'repacking, rebottling' process, in itself, doesn't change the composition of the synthetic oil does it - or does it?

It is still myth, I would guess, as some shop selling US version of Mobil1. With some research there is chance that most of foreign brand (not PTT or Bangchak) are made in Singapore. Some might say, it is different but I'm not sure how notable it could be.

What is Synthetic?

It is still myth, I would guess, as some shop selling US version of Mobil1. With some research there is chance that most of foreign brand (not PTT or Bangchak) are made in Singapore. Some might say, it is different but I'm not sure how notable it could be.

Honda Service use SW Ow 20.which is like Mobil I. Looks like Cat Piss to me , compared to the Old Stuff we used.

What is Synthetic?

In an effort to re-bunk myths and rumors with facts, as long as a corporation, (be it McDonald's or Mobil 1, Kelloggs corn flakes, etc.), over-sees (pun intended) the production and operation of their product, wouldn't the end product be the same internationally and it shouldn't matter where the end product comes from unless there are specific issues at said facility or place of distribution?

Are there any known issues with any Thai synthetic oil companies 'repacking, rebottling' process?

or

I think 0W20 is now used for new cars to enable them to post better fuel mileage - thinner oil equals less drag.

What effect this will have on engine life - unknown.

My swift uses 0W20 oil. I guess other ecocars are using it as well, mainly for fuel economy. I'm sure the engine is designed to sue such an oil, as that is what is used by the dealer.

The Honda service centre I go to uae idemitsu 5w30 for my Jazz. The labels says fully synthetic. I do not think 0w20 is suitable in Thailand's weather. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, i should have stated New Honda Cars , Accord n Civic , I have 2 Hondas serviced in Thailand, cheaper than sending them back to Portugal.. l!! . Less they got the 2 Tags Wrong it was 0/20. last week in Hua Hin.

synthetic oil change every 5,000km waste of money. renowned manufacturers (e.g. Porsche) recommend initially 45-50,000km and after 4-5 years 20,000km intervals for its high-end engines.

Porsche%20Oil%20Change.jpg

That chart appears to specify an "oil service" (presumably an oil and oil filter change) every 15,000KM/12months, from new. Those figures make sense to me.

On my truck the manufacturer specifies every 10,000KM/6months.

• Like 1

synthetic oil change every 5,000km waste of money. renowned manufacturers (e.g. Porsche) recommend initially 45-50,000km and after 4-5 years 20,000km intervals for its high-end engines.

That chart appears to specify an "oil service" (presumably an oil and oil filter change) every 15,000KM/12months, from new. Those figures make sense to me.

The chart of 20,000km oil service interval cause lots problem at BMW. So they change their oil change interval to 15,000. I think lot of sludge occur within engine.

The chart of 20,000km oil service interval cause lots problem at BMW. So they change their oil change interval to 15,000. I think lot of sludge occur within engine.

Um ..

Well I had a 5-Series (520d) from new (had it nearly 6 years and sold it in 2012) and after a service the oil change required Kms was reset to 30,000Kms. As I didn't drive it harshly it never dropped much below 28,000Kms.

Ive always used castrol magnatec totally advanced synthetic oils but a good grade oil works just as well but if you do drive hard and long synthetics are more at home in those areas. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I had tried both Mobil1 and Castrol, but currently using imported brand of Red Line Oil and stick with it.

Ive always used castrol magnatec totally advanced synthetic oils but a good grade oil works just as well but if you do drive hard and long synthetics are more at home in those areas. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I had tried both Mobil1 and Castrol, but currently using imported brand of Red Line Oil and stick with it.

Just between we 'Aficionados', thumbsup.gif what is it about Red Line synthetic that has you preferring it over Mobil1 and Castrol and where do you order it from?

Edited by thailoht