synthetic oil change benefit or bullsh1t

bealus

I own a 2012 mazda 2 which has one serviced oilchange left from the dealer; of course it will be the standard oil that will be refilled.

My question is what are the benefits(if any)if I asked to change the refill to synthetic oil(and of course pay for the surcharge).

Does synthetic oil improve the mileage per litre, prolongues the life of the engine and can I step from standard to synthetic instantly or

does it require extra maintenance(aside from the new oil-filter). Does synthetic oil absorbe more heat from within the engine and hence

delays the wear and tear of moving parts in the engine?

I know many bikers swear on using synthetic oil but who of you as car-owners can comment on the assumed advantages and in short is it worth

the extra money?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very much so.

My BMW Z1 is in a storage facility back in Blighty; been there 5 years.

Religiously used Mobil 1 - nothing else - started for 1st time in years a couple of months ago, not a hint of smoke.

Admittedly, very low mileage for such an old car but still metal on metal

Synthetic oil costs more but lasts three times as long as conventional petroleum based motor oil, it provides less friction Resistance to the engine thus increasing horsepower, has a higher resistance to thermal breakdown thus is more desirable in performance engines that run high RPMs and temperatures, it is less viscus so it flows easier through the engine,

There is a lot of info on the subject in the internet.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/4213451

• Like 2

Is it better ? Yes, for sure.

I use it in my bikes, but not the car. Change car every 5000 km with a new filter.

With that frequent an oil change, I find it hard to justify the added expense for what is a low-stressed engine.

No payback as afar as I can see.

Synthetic oil costs more but lasts three times as long as conventional petroleum based motor oil, it provides less friction Resistance to the engine thus increasing horsepower, has a higher resistance to thermal breakdown thus is more desirable in performance engines that run high RPMs and temperatures, it is less viscus so it flows easier through the engine,

^^ Excellent! thumbsup.gif

Synthetic oil protects the metal-on-metal parts of your engine better than 'mineral based' oils - Period! They have higher breakdown and lubrication tolerance levels than mineral based oils.

Owners who care about the longevity of their engines use Synthetic oil for its superior protection qualities.

I use it in my bikes, but not the car. Change car every 5000 km with a new filter.

With that frequent an oil change, I find it hard to justify the added expense for what is a low-stressed engine.

The 'payback' is your engine's performance longevity ... and yes, that's the conundrum.

When you have to factor in 'out-of-pocket' expense into the longevity of engine performance, then it becomes personal and 'subjective' - every one will have a different opinion.

But, technically speaking, mineral-based oils breakdown and lose their lubricating abilities at lower points of tolerance than Synthetic oils. Though a mineral-based may be changed more frequently, the real possibility of the oil's breakdown is always present - though arguably slightly reduced, whereas you have 100% peace-of-mind that your engine is protected to even higher points of tolerances with Synthetic oil.

A better protected engine performs better - longer.

Edited by thailoht

synthetic oil change every 5,000km waste of money. renowned manufacturers (e.g. Porsche) recommend initially 45-50,000km and after 4-5 years 20,000km intervals for its high-end engines.

Porsche%20Oil%20Change.jpg

• Like 1

synthetic oil change every 5,000km waste of money. renowned manufacturers (e.g. Porsche) recommend initially 45-50,000km and after 4-5 years 20,000km intervals for its high-end engines.

Porsche%20Oil%20Change.jpg

Nice graphical display! thumbsup.gif

Mazda Dealers use Synthetic anyway, as do Honda and Toyota.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1443177670 width=25 height=19>

Do you have any info about which oil companies (brands) supply Synthetic oils to Mazda, Honda and Toyota?

I understand that it may be better... But is it worth the extra money??

I change the oil every 10k, which ends up being about every 4 months... Bought the car new and will likely trade it in for a new car at about 5 years...

So would I actually have any benefit? Guessing the car tents are not going to give me a higher re-sale value if I tell then I use synthetic oil ? An also could care less if the engine dies at yr 6 or yr 16, as I will be selling it at yr 5...

So again... Would I personally expect to see any benefit from using synthetic oil? I am currently not convinced

Similar to computers... There are some really fancy ones out there for 40-50,000 thb (or more), but as I just surf the internet, watch movies and do my email... It is a waste if money (for me specifically)... As based on what I use it for, a 20k computer does everything I need it to do...

• Like 1

Synthetic oil protects the metal-on-metal parts of your engine better than 'mineral based' oils - Period! They have higher breakdown and lubrication tolerance levels than mineral based oils.

Owners who care about the longevity of their engines use Synthetic oil for its superior protection qualities.

I will go with these replies thumbsup.gif

I used synthetic in my 40 year old 6.8 ltr high performance engine.

Mazda Dealers use Synthetic anyway, as do Honda and Toyota.thumbsup.gif

My Toyota dealer doesn't, they use a semi.

Dont Know About Clonkers, i should have stated Refined. Car Petrol Engines.cheesy.gif .

These ''clonkers'' are still the quickest engines on blacktop..whistling.gif .....................laugh.png

I understand that it may be better... But is it worth the extra money?? I change the oil every 10k, which ends up being about every 4 months... Bought the car new and will likely trade it in for a new car at about 5 years... So would I actually have any benefit? Guessing the car tents are not going to give me a higher re-sale value if I tell then I use synthetic oil ? An also could care less if the engine dies at yr 6 or yr 16, as I will be selling it at yr 5... So again... Would I personally expect to see any benefit from using synthetic oil? I am currently not convinced Similar to computers... There are some really fancy ones out there for 40-50,000 thb (or more), but as I just surf the internet, watch movies and do my email... It is a waste if money (for me specifically)... As based on what I use it for, a 20k computer does everything I need it to do...

Good example!

I will go with these replies thumbsup.gif

I used synthetic in my 40 year old 6.8 ltr high performance engine.

.... but this guy gets the cigar!

A true Tale Of Two Cities ......

Edited by thailoht

Mazda Dealers use Synthetic anyway, as do Honda and Toyota.thumbsup.gif

My Toyota dealer doesn't, they use a semi.

Dont Know About Clonkers, i should have stated Refined. Car Petrol Engines.cheesy.gif .

These ''clonkers'' are still the quickest engines on blacktop..whistling.gif .....................laugh.png

Blah Blah, why do you Wacky Racers buy em Bags O Chips to wake em up then,even the Blazers flat compared to a Mazda 2.w00t.gifthumbsup.gif

Just thought, you can do what i do. Buy Mobile1,and Honda use it at book Services, they just knock off the Honda oil cost,ive got a Ting about Oil, daft i know,so dont tell Me.biggrin.png

I used to d that with my honda, but now just let them put in their own oil. I think it's synthetic anyway. No problems with smoke or the engine after almost 220k kms. I think it's worth the money if one plans to keep the car long term. Eco cars are also using synthetic 0-20W oil for added fuel economy. That stuff is like water. Not cheap though!

Naam - my post said that I do not use synthetic in my car, hence the 5000 km oil change intervals.

even non-synth oil does not require a change every 5000km (depending on the time frame during which the mileage was driven). what we learned in the 50s does not apply anymore. the quality and longevity of non-synth oils has improved dramatically.

• Like 1

Naam - my post said that I do not use synthetic in my car, hence the 5000 km oil change intervals.

even non-synth oil does not require a change every 5000km (depending on the time frame during which the mileage was driven). what we learned in the 50s does not apply anymore. the quality and longevity of non-synth oils has improved dramatically.

Agree, works on both sides; engines and cars got significally improved(I remember in the 60's we had a kind of grease-pump to lube the bearings every 5000 km)and reaching about

a total of 100.000 km the engine was ready for the scrap-dealer. Simultaneously first the mineral based oils were improved and later the synthetic oils came on stage.

Material science has improved so much over the past 30 years. Car engines have a much higher tolerance than they used to have. For us old farts, I remember my dad having to 'decoke' the car engine, and as for oil, well it used to be every 3000 miles per the manufacturer, now pretty universally its 15K. How much synthetic versus mineral oil will improve things is debatable. High performance engines probably I'd pay the extra, but for a run of the mill auto, use regular and change it according to the recommendation of the dealer.

The super film strength of synthetic cannot be questioned. On startup, before pressure is achieved, the film on the very weak crank bearings is far greater. Valve train protection is far greater too. Cam and lifters have far more protection. The valve train does a lot of work, far more than folk realise and for sure syn does a fantastic job in this area. thumbsup.gif

The super film strength of synthetic cannot be questioned. On startup, before pressure is achieved, the film on the very weak crank bearings is far greater. Valve train protection is far greater too. Cam and lifters have far more protection. The valve train does a lot of work, far more than folk realise and for sure syn does a fantastic job in this area. thumbsup.gif

So what do you think the average life of a Japanese petrol engine is? Lets say the average car of mixed city/country driving. I occasionally see a smoky old car, but not very often. I rarely see an early 90's honda/toyota blowing smoke. I'm guessing engine work isn't too expensive here, but I also doubt owners of these old cars would do engine rebuilds.

So what do you think the average life of a Japanese petrol engine is? Lets say the average car of mixed city/country driving. I occasionally see a smoky old car, but not very often. I rarely see an early 90's honda/toyota blowing smoke. I'm guessing engine work isn't too expensive here, but I also doubt owners of these old cars would do engine rebuilds.

My opinion is if syn was used, after initial break, in an engine will last a lot longer. There are engines out there that do have problems, usually valve train. Cam failure, I am sure syn use will reduce the risk. smile.png