What is wrong with the water?

dogpoo

Wishing I could use another method, everything smells!

In the past, I have taken my laundry to various shops around the island to be washed. The washing would come back clean of some dirt stains, but smelt bad. Now I know why my washing smelt bad.

Can you even shower in that? That's a disgrace, for a World Class tourist desination. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Old Thai people will be able to tell you there are transparant/milky crystal like stones which make brown water clear when you put them into it for some time. I managed to buy them once in Hua Hin in the nineties, when the tap water had gone brown.

Old Thai people will be able to tell you there are transparant/milky crystal like stones which make brown water clear when you put them into it for some time. I managed to buy them once in Hua Hin in the nineties, when the tap water had gone brown.

It's Aluminium Sulphate (also sometimes called sour stone)

It's a flocculant.

Super cheap has (had?) it.

Slightly off-topic (well completely off-topic, but an amusing story).

Last year, when I lived in Yangon (Myanmar), my shower water was very brown and dirty and smelt terrible. I had no choice but to wash in it and to wash my clothes in this dirty water.

I investigated the source of the water supply and found that it was pumped from the nearby river.

I then investigated where my toilet waste went, and found that it was emptied into the nearby river ...

Edited by simon43

Is this harmful to you in any way, the brown color is gradually going but the smell still remains, what is wrong with this country are they incapable of supplying a decent water supply?

"what is wrong with this country are they incapable of supplying a decent water supply?" - especially considering how much rain the place gets.

It's Aluminium Sulphate (also sometimes called sour stone)

It's a flocculant.

Super cheap has (had?) it.

All pool supply shops have aluminiun sulphate as well, it settles all the dirt particles to the bottom

In storage tanks you need a bottom outlet to flush it out once settled if you use it on a regular basis

Is this harmful to you in any way, the brown color is gradually going but the smell still remains, what is wrong with this country are they incapable of supplying a decent water supply?

Not harmfull.

The suspended solids (SS) are bundled and sink. And can then be drained or sucked off.

Don't know what to do about the smell. Google?

What's wrong with this country? Too many things to list.

Your last question: Yes!

Many years ago I went to the waterworks in Kathu (Phuket) and informed them, that the water was dirty.

The woman at the counter let me know, that there is no dirty water in Thailand.

As I was speechless, I gave her a big fake smile, and left without any further futil comment.

Down in Rawai, the water smells of chlorine quite often - 2 or 3 times a month.

When the water is cut off - because of road works or whatever - it nearly always comes back brown and I have to run it for maybe 15 minutes with all taps open and toilets flushed to get it clear.

Or I just wait as long as possible before trying the water supply after it has been cut - let someone else clear the pipes.

Water back to normal, what ever it was has ruined the kitchen sink, it has discolored the chrome effect surface! Looks awful now!

You could try some sort of cutting compound polish, similar to the polish used on old cars. That could cut away the rust stains and bring the steel back to a shine.

When the water is cut off - because of road works or whatever - it nearly always comes back brown and I have to run it for maybe 15 minutes with all taps open and toilets flushed to get it clear.

Or I just wait as long as possible before trying the water supply after it has been cut - let someone else clear the pipes.

I'd take chlorine smell over fecal smell anyday.

It wasn't a chlorine smell it was a sort of rust smell!

That smell is from the feces of someone who has too much iron in their diet. cheesy.gif

That smell is from the feces of someone who has too much iron in their diet. cheesy.gif

Not nice!.,

Edited by dogpoo