It's cold. Turn on your air conditioners

lahgon29

If it is indeed a reverse cycle it will heat up to whatever the set point is set to.

If it isnt a reverse cycle unit it will do noting except blow air around the room, possibly mixing the slightly warmer hot air if its mounted high up. The room temp will be well below the setpoint therefore the compressor will not run. No heating, no cooling, no de-humidifying, no nothing period.

I suppose there are few reverse cycle air cons sold in Thailand. just like I discovered that my new car had no heater. I'd never heard of that one until I looked for the de-mister heater. HA!

setting the A/C to 25 when the temperature in the room is 15 means that the A/c will never go on since the ambient temperature is already lower than the desired set temperature., the A/C will kick in if the temperature goes over 25, and will stop as soon as it falls to below 25, it is really a simple proposition,

unless the A/C is a revers cycle model and the select switch is set to "heat" those units reverse the cycle and instead of cooling the room and expelling the heat outside, they try to cool the outside and expel the heat inside thus heating the room.Some good reversible A/C units have an electric heating element that can be used for emergency heat.

You can set the A/C to "Fan only" and this might circulate some of the warmer air near the ceiling, but the affect will be negligible since that air will quickly cool down also.

A portable A/C can be used to heat a room, simply place the A/C outside the room crank it down as low as it will go,(certainly lower than ambient temperature) and place the exhaust pipe to blow inside the room.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

I suppose there are few reverse cycle air cons sold in Thailand. just like I discovered that my new car had no heater. I'd never heard of that one until I looked for the de-mister heater. HA!

My Ford Ranger has a heater and demister. Never used it though, except once when the wife fiddled around with it. Couldn't understand why the cab was so hot in April 555

setting the A/C to 25 when the temperature in the room is 15 means that the A/c will never go on since the ambient temperature is already lower than the desired set temperature., the A/C will kick in if the temperature goes over 25, and will stop as soon as it falls to below 25, it is really a simple proposition,

That what I was thinking.

It's a WIN/WIN ... to the OP, your partner will think you have listened to her,

and you can sit there smugly, knowing that it doing SFA ... and compliment her on the great idea.

Might even get lucky two nights in a row ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

unless the A/C is a revers cycle model and the select switch is set to "heat" those units reverse the cycle and instead of cooling the room and expelling the heat outside, they try to cool the outside and expel the heat inside thus heating the room.Some good reversible A/C units have an electric heating element that can be used for emergency heat.

You can set the A/C to "Fan only" and this might circulate some of the warmer air near the ceiling, but the affect will be negligible since that air will quickly cool down also.

A portable A/C can be used to heat a room, simply place the A/C outside the room crank it down as low as it will go,(certainly lower than ambient temperature) and place the exhaust pipe to blow inside the room.

I think most, if not all, aircons in Thailand have a dehumidifier setting which takes the moist out of the air and makes the temperature feeling more comfortable.

Have you ever noticed that when in Thailand it's 20°C you will need a coat, while the same temperature in your home country will make you sweat ?

It's because of the high humidity in the air in Thailand.

• Like 1

The aircon will dry out the moisture in the room.

Humidity is a dual edged sword, when it is hot and humid, the moisture on your skin cannot evaporate quickly enough to cool you down, when it is cold and humid, the moisture in the air will suck the heat out of your body.

Removing the humidity in a room when the conditions are cold will not change the physical temperature, but to you it will feel warmer.

Nope it's the opposite. Humid air retains heat better than dry air. In countries with extremely arid winters we turn on humidifiers to help the air retain heat better. In doing this, we can turn the heater down a bit because the moist air feels warmer.

If you want to resolve this get a air conditioning company she can call and verify that air conditioners do not heat

Then Tell her OK there is the deal Call the air conditioning company and if they tell you you can heat with it I will givey ou 1000 baht

and if they say you cannot you have to give me 200 Baht

Could move the heat down, since heat rises to ceiling. Also besides some wind, the fans in unit generate some heat. Not lots, but some...... how about a big pot of water put on simmer overnight? Heat could radiate off the sides.... would want to check how much is evaporated however. And there are always blankets, human or otherwise. I don't get lots of sympathy when tell US friends it is a chilly 71 this morning, when guidelines call for max heating of 68...

You TEERAK has bery smart friends, as smart as her maybe ? :-)

Mate

She's not the sharpest tool in the shed, I have to admit. Doesn't make her less lovable. She still can't grasp the theory about the aircon, today.

How about Einsteins theory ? Bet she can quote it.

Amongst all the stuff we stuffed into a sea container when we moved back here from Oz was a Dimplex Oil Filled Heater.

Thought at the time we'd NEVER need it in CNX........ah well, just another example of how smart I was to pack it!

i have found amazing things as well. one, long-sleeves!! two, pants!! three, hats. and four, warm tea. these amazing inventions let me get warmer.

my farang friends speak in code...."layering" "thick socks" and other strange non-sense.

forget them all, i will turn on the A/C

Actually, I'm finding that the (slow) fan on the aircon circulates the warm air at the top of the room and it does feel warmer at ground level. So she may have a point.

Yes she does. It is hardly worth making an issue of. They have TV in Thailand. Many Thais and others can see a life unimaginable to them. That can effect people to the very core of their being. My policy . . . Yes Theerak. Thank you, Theerak. Thank you, Buddha. See how that works out.