Visa In Old Passport

Hey guys,

i have a non immigrant O, multiple entry visa, based on marriage, expiring in sept 2014. the visa is in my old passport, in the form of a sticker from savannakhet, and when i entered thailand, after a trip to the UK, i showed the old passport to the immigration officer and he stamped me in using my new passport

from the information i have received from this site, i was quite sure that i could continue using my two passports together when i have to leave the country, until the visa expires

this was until the other day. i went to the hua hin immigration office to get a certificate of residency, and the lady who issues them in the side office told me that i would have to be coming back soon for a new visa. she saw my stamp expires in feb, and said i would be needing a new visa. i told her my visa in my old passport was not expiring until sept and so i could carry on using this, but she insisted not

she said i would have to return soon to the office and start out for new visa

does anyone know what she means? she is a lady who has been there the few years i have been going to the office, so i would assume that she knew her stuff, but i am sure it contradicts what many have said on here (and i know most people on here know their stuff thumbsup.gif )

hoping you can help and thanks in advance wai.gif

She is wrong or there was some kind of misunderstanding. The multiple entry visa which I presume was obtained outside Thailand, Remains valid and both passports need to be shown .

On the other hand are you SURE you have a visa ? Do you need to make 90 day reports?

yes visa is from Laos. i dont have to report, but i do have to leave the country every 90 days. it is a sticker visa from savannaket

i wonder why a senior officer could be so wrong. it was 9am monday morning, but still......

Agree with post #2. She issues visa extensions, not visas, and she does not process border entrances on a daily basis as do the officers at the border, You don't need a new visa until your old one expires, just show both passports and put the visa number on the arrival card.

OK, I'm on a retirement visa that is good until March 2014 and I'm getting a new passport this month and want to transfer my old visa from my old passport to the new one here in Chiang Mai and wondering what the time limit is, especially with the freaking holidays coming up??

Sorry if I hijacked this topic...........

OK, I'm on a retirement visa that is good until March 2014 and I'm getting a new passport this month and want to transfer my old visa from my old passport to the new one here in Chiang Mai and wondering what the time limit is, especially with the freaking holidays coming up??

You apparently have an extension of stay not a visa.

There is no set time limit to get stamps transfered. But you should do it as soon as possible.

Do you have a "Visa"?

Visas are never transferred.

Yes i have a visa Sceptict11. As i said earlier it is a non immigrant O visa based on marriage. i paid 5000B for it in savanakhet, laos. it has not been transferred, but remains in my old passport, which i carry with me

the woman who told me that i would need to renew, actually used to work in the main office at hua hin immigration (i am sure many will remember her if you have been there) but now she has been moved to a sideline job

i would have thought she would know all about visa renewals etc

she told me i would have to start the application for a new visa again, and even went as far as saying that i could make the application any time within 1 month prior of the entry stamp expiry date

i will get myself down there again and get a second opinion from another member of staff, but it is reassuring the the meantime that everyone one here says the information she gave was wrong

thanks for replies guys thumbsup.gif

Your visa will remain valid in your old passport until it expires in Sept. 2014. You will have to have your old passport with you every time you enter the country.

It is permit stay that ends in February not your visa. She was just suggesting you could get an extension of stay not renewing your visa.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You apparently have an extension of stay not a visa.

There is no set time limit to get stamps transfered. But you should do it as soon as possible.

Continuing on this sub-topic: I'm on an extension of stay (retirement) which I just got a few weeks ago along with a 1 year multiple re-entry permit. My passport is still good but running out and I will probably get a new one when I'm back in Canada this summer. I take it I'll have no problem re-entering Thailand after that as long as I carry my old (now current) passport that contains the extension of stay and re-entry permit. But as for transferring to the new passport, can I do that with both the extension of stay and the re-entry permit? What's the procedure and why is it even necessary? I would have thought it would be OK to continue to carry both passports until the extension of stay and the re-entry permit expire (of course I'd get new ones in the new passport shortly before the expiry date). Is that not correct?

Thanks

TG

If you get a new passport you will have to use the old+new to regain entry to Thailand

Once you have returned just go to your local immigration office with both passports. The immigration Officer will transfer all relevant data to the new passport !

There is no charge for the service