Right to fight back: Women push government to legalize pepper spray for self-defense

Lite Beer

Right to fight back: Women push government to legalize pepper spray for self-defense
By Coconuts Bangkok;

pepperspray.jpg?itok=06abLZjF

BANGKOK: -- Although all research indicates strangers are only responsible for a small percentage of sexual assaults, this week’s horrifying news of a serial rapist-murder preying on young girls has women thinking about how to fight back.

Due to those concerns for personal safety and at the urging of citizens, the Food and Drug Administration announced it has assigned professors at Mahidol University to study possible legal updates to increase access to pepper spray.

Of the options available to Thai women seeking to protect themselves from life-threatening situations, pepper spray - that popular self-defense item of movies and television - has not only been off the menu, it’s possession can result in some serious jail time.

Owning pepper spray is punishable by 10 years in prison and a fine of THB1 million, according to the Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535, which is more severe than the punishment given to yaba-selling drug dealers.

About 30,000 women in Thailand fall victim to physical or sexual assault, according to Police Lt. Col. Chotwician Wichianchot of the Women's Emergency Center. [read more...]

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/12/18/right-fight-back-women-push-government-legalize-pepper-spray-self-defense

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-12-18

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well guys, could be that when you get involved with a Thai girl you now have two things to worry about when those inevitable mood swings start to appear. Does she really love me and does she carry a pepper spray?

smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

blink.png That's all I can say. blink.png

In the US pepper spray is readily avaialable. In most states; however, using it illegally (to rob, attack or cause pain to someone) is a felony, which is a serious offence.

Again blink.png

Hikers carry it if they run into a bear or some wild animal. People spray it on their garbage bins if they have trouble with vermin. It is not for use on Humans.

• Like 1

"Owning pepper spray is punishable by 10 years in prison and a fine of THB1 million, according to the Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535, which is more severe than the punishment given to yaba-selling drug dealers." '<deleted>'

A least while it is illegal the local lasses would only use it if in real danger, legaleses it and every stupid girl will spray just for fun, no bar will be safe.

• Like 2

It's available at most any market.

WIDELY available, not only in markets but many camping stores, survival stores, or military supply stores. If you're in a shop that looks like they should have it but don't, send a Thai girl in there to ask for it. Many won't sell it to men and only sell to women.

• Like 1

It's common knowledge among the cute 18 year old girls the bib have an early payment scheme with unconfirmed savings of 999800 baht upon capture.

Unlikely for a bald,overweight, sunburnt Western male to get this special package though so you have been warned.

"Owning pepper spray is punishable by 10 years in prison and a fine of THB1 million, according to the Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535, which is more severe than the punishment given to yaba-selling drug dealers." '<deleted>'

'<deleted>' indeed but TiT bah.gif

Edited by johnlandy

It's available at most any market.

can you be more specific i been looking for some for quite some time now cant find

At least in Phuket it's available at various night markets by the people that sell the knives, swords, throwing stars etc. I have also seen it at the stalls on Sukumvit rd. and Pattaya Beach Rd.

if you live in kanchanaburi this would be a must have to fend of the thousands of soi dogs here

Small can of ant/roach spray with a tube nozzle will work if it's a severe safety problem...they don't have any bear spray in Thailand. Handful of salt could work too but they'd be pretty close by then.....

Okay, this is something I know about (ginjag will be happy I'm talking about something I know about rather than winding people up!). It's what I do and is my profession (I teach Krav Maga). Problems with pepper-sprays are numerous;

1 in 4 people are no effected by pepper spray to a point high enough to stop them doing what they want to do.

The pepper sprays shown in the image above are tiny little things and you need to be very close up for them to work (a law enforcement standard one will spray 15 or 20 meters)

If the wind is wrong it can blow back into your own face

If you don't use it quick enough you run the risk of the attacker seizing it and using it against you

Fake pepper spray from street vendors/market traders.

In reality a larger can of hair spray is better some times

What's the answer? Well one answer would be to come and get proper instruction and training with us or another properly affiliated Krav Maga school. Common sense is a good starting place. I could write a manual about it (in fact I have) but for this post I would recommend NOT relying on pepper spray for a defence purpose. Common objects such as key, credit cards can work more effectively as does the voice - not just calling for help but shouting dynamically as loud as possible into the attackers ear.

Feel free to check out <snip> dotcom for more info (not a plug - have a look)

Not a plug? lol.

Points 1, 2, 5 and 6 are completele bull$#!t, and the others are minor issues.

blink.png That's all I can say. blink.png

In the US pepper spray is readily avaialable. In most states; however, using it illegally (to rob, attack or cause pain to someone) is a felony, which is a serious offence.

Again blink.png

Hikers carry it if they run into a bear or some wild animal. People spray it on their garbage bins if they have trouble with vermin. It is not for use on Humans.

The stuff that hikers use is not the same as the stuff you use on people. Bear spray much, much more potent.

Okay, this is something I know about (ginjag will be happy I'm talking about something I know about rather than winding people up!). It's what I do and is my profession (I teach Krav Maga). Problems with pepper-sprays are numerous;

1 in 4 people are no effected by pepper spray to a point high enough to stop them doing what they want to do.

The pepper sprays shown in the image above are tiny little things and you need to be very close up for them to work (a law enforcement standard one will spray 15 or 20 meters)

If the wind is wrong it can blow back into your own face

If you don't use it quick enough you run the risk of the attacker seizing it and using it against you

Fake pepper spray from street vendors/market traders.

In reality a larger can of hair spray is better some times

What's the answer? Well one answer would be to come and get proper instruction and training with us or another properly affiliated Krav Maga school. Common sense is a good starting place. I could write a manual about it (in fact I have) but for this post I would recommend NOT relying on pepper spray for a defence purpose. Common objects such as key, credit cards can work more effectively as does the voice - not just calling for help but shouting dynamically as loud as possible into the attackers ear.

Feel free to check out <snip> dotcom for more info (not a plug - have a look)

Not a plug? lol.

Points 1, 2, 5 and 6 are completele bull$#!t, and the others are minor issues.

Nope, the only one speaking b/s here is you. I teach civilians and I teach law enforcement, military and security forces and I've been doing it since 1995. What's your qualifications? Explain to me how those points are b/s because I can support everything I say. I am really interested to hear about your qualifications? How many years you've been teaching - and what you teach (I already know the answer, nothing)

• Like 1