the perrils of insuffeciant Insurace covrage

ezzra

Had a motorcycle accident last week, not my fault, broke my arm and need an invasive

surgery to repair broken bone with an ORIF procedure, (open reduction and internal fixation)

that will cost all up with after surgery care around B. 275,000 having it done at Bumrungrad

hospital,

What I'm trying to convey is that the third party insurance of the car that hit me covers only

B.300,000, plus, you can recover B.50,000 more from the compulsory motor vehicle insurance

known as Po Lo Bo, but if your injuries in an accident, damage, and lose of income are more

than the above, than it will have to come out from your own pocket, you can of course sue

them in court later, but good luck to you to recover any money from almost penny less laborer

how owns nothing..

• Like 2

Agreed very silly to depend on just the vehicle insurance - but in any case your medical insurance would cover what is owed on top of the vehicle (or any other) cover.

Sorry not trying to be cute but how do you know that he (or anybody else in that situation) would have separate medical insurance - considering a number of previous threads about self insuring - or are you referring to medical insurance from the bike insurance?

I think that it;s nit easy to by bike insurance that covers the rider's own medical expenses. If anyone knows of a source of the cover please post details.

If you buy medical insurance, make sure that motor cycle accident injuries are included.

Thanks to all for sympathy and good wishes, I'm fully insured to what ever my come, my point was

for others to be mindful of similar situation where by they're NOT insured themselves, and have

to rely on the other party's insurance..

• Like 2

Get well soon. For what its worth, a similar surgery on my ankle last year ran about 300k. Make sure the pretty Bumrungrad nurses give you sponge baths twice a day!

Oh dear, getting off topic yet again.

They might be pretty but do they ever reek of garlic.

One sort of offsets the other.

# 5

I have an extra motorcycle insurance for my Honda Air Blade 110 cc with 3. party liability at ฿ 1,000,000 pr person / ฿ 10,000,000 pr accident and ฿ 1,000,000 in property damage.

It also covers ฿ 100,000 for death, and disability for both the driver and 1 passenger and ฿ 50,000 in medical expenses for same pr person + ฿ 200,000 in bailbond.

Premium around ฿ 2,000 pr year. Insurance company is Thaisri.

Edited by perconrad
  • Like 2

I would add that is probably the most expensive hospital in Thailand and you would be advised to look for cheaper and as good alternatives. Its worth getting a quote before treatment and then get someone to phone around other hospitals for a price or try and haggle the price down. Sometimes you can trim the price down by choosing less costly options/treatments. Pra Ram 9 is as good and much cheaper.

Have to be very careful biking in Thailand; not only is it dangerous, also alot of foreign travel insurance has opt out clauses for motorbikes, especially if you don't have a motorbike license in your home country.

I pay a bit more for my Kasikorn ATM card, and get insurance thrown in that covers bike accidents. It doesn't cover the full cost, but it will pay at least half the cost. My wife has claimed a number of times for various ailments (she has this cover too).

You need some health insurance in Thailand. I am from the UK and have yearly multi trip insurance that covers everything else other than bikes.

I keep meaning to get my UK bike license, and then I would be covered under the travel insurance....

Remember insurance is for when you can't afford to pay. If you don't have money to pay for expensive treatment, then ensure you buy insurance!

Edited by MaiChai

An update....

Had the operation don yesterday at Bumrungrad, sourly face nurses, cocky surgeon attitude,

b.10,000 a night for room only, and despite prior cost estimate at b. 210,000 it ballooned somehow

to b.355,000 just because they had to use bigger more expensive metal rod to mend the arm,

to which I have told the cashier who come to collect the extra fees that I wish some one would have

told me about the cost deviation and allow me to make an inform decision where to have the

operation so I will not be out of pocket, she seems to sympathies and said she will take it with

the insurance people..

I would add that is probably the most expensive hospital in Thailand and you would be advised to look for cheaper and as good alternatives. Its worth getting a quote before treatment and then get someone to phone around other hospitals for a price or try and haggle the price down. Sometimes you can trim the price down by choosing less costly options/treatments. Pra Ram 9 is as good and much cheaper.

Have to be very careful biking in Thailand; not only is it dangerous, also alot of foreign travel insurance has opt out clauses for motorbikes, especially if you don't have a motorbike license in your home country.

I pay a bit more for my Kasikorn ATM card, and get insurance thrown in that covers bike accidents. It doesn't cover the full cost, but it will pay at least half the cost. My wife has claimed a number of times for various ailments (she has this cover too).

You need some health insurance in Thailand. I am from the UK and have yearly multi trip insurance that covers everything else other than bikes.

I keep meaning to get my UK bike license, and then I would be covered under the travel insurance....

Remember insurance is for when you can't afford to pay. If you don't have money to pay for expensive treatment, then ensure you buy insurance!

Try getting it when you are 65 plus.

• Like 1

Get well soon and think about selling your bike using your car.coffee1.gif

No gurantee of safety there ! Last time i used mine, i was stopped at RED light and another ploughed into the back of me ( Bht140,000 damage) back on m/c these days, no accident in 8 yrs.

Healthcare International UK took me on at age 65 for around USD$ 2400pa. Next year they are keeping the same price but

reducing the annual claim to USD$ 25,000

Have almost paid for a house to be built here. Once I have some money in the bank again it will need a calculation whether to self-insure or not.

LMG Pacific will take you on up to age 75 and guarantee renewal for life.

I have ben riding motorcycles since I was 16, and that is many, many moons ago, riding any thing

from scoots to powerful choppers .... I have never been involved in any serious accidents as this one,

as far as I know there aren't insurance policy that will cove a m/c rider for such large sums of medical bills,

the most maybe 50-100,000, the thing is that I did the right thing and got an estimate cost for the surgery,

in writing, to be safe that I will not be out of pocket, and than the bill arrived, a whopping b. 150,000

more than the estimate, now, nothing can prepare you for that, all is left to do is to see is how the hospital

will recover the cost from the insurance company and what will it cost me out of pocket,

On a lighter note, it seems that the surgeon who worked on me did a cracking job, and I'm happy

with the results...

Just realised I'm in the same situation.... So it's possible to get full accident insurance in Thailand for riding a motorcycle, even if you don't have a motorcycle licence? If so where can you get this insurance?

Just realised I'm in the same situation.... So it's possible to get full accident insurance in Thailand for riding a motorcycle, even if you don't have a motorcycle licence? If so where can you get this insurance?

No M/cycle license and want insurance ? Please try not to be be stupid

• Like 1

An update....

Had the operation don yesterday at Bumrungrad, sourly face nurses, cocky surgeon attitude,

b.10,000 a night for room only, and despite prior cost estimate at b. 210,000 it ballooned somehow

to b.355,000 just because they had to use bigger more expensive metal rod to mend the arm,

to which I have told the cashier who come to collect the extra fees that I wish some one would have

told me about the cost deviation and allow me to make an inform decision where to have the

operation so I will not be out of pocket, she seems to sympathies and said she will take it with

the insurance people..

So sorry to hear of your accident ezzra & glad your doing fine now.

I want to clarify because I just renewed my full coverage mc insurance

So with your new bill of 355k baht do you mean you could be out of pocket 5k baht?

Because you said the 3rd party car covers 300k & yours covers 50k

This all does ram home the thought that one should be well covered.

Like you my policy is great for the other guy 550k for each person my bike injures if any...

10 million each accident & 2.5 million for property damages etc.

But when you look at what it does for me it lists 50k medical each for myself & any passenger

So if I am in an accident & the guy that hits me has little or no insurance then what?

Or am I looking at my policy wrong? Maybe AA can chime in with any info?

Lastly although a broken arm is not a small thing I can only imagine costs if it was worse

I have ben riding motorcycles since I was 16, and that is many, many moons ago, riding any thing

from scoots to powerful choppers .... I have never been involved in any serious accidents as this one,

as far as I know there aren't insurance policy that will cove a m/c rider for such large sums of medical bills,

the most maybe 50-100,000, the thing is that I did the right thing and got an estimate cost for the surgery,

in writing, to be safe that I will not be out of pocket, and than the bill arrived, a whopping b. 150,000

more than the estimate, now, nothing can prepare you for that, all is left to do is to see is how the hospital

will recover the cost from the insurance company and what will it cost me out of pocket,

On a lighter note, it seems that the surgeon who worked on me did a cracking job, and I'm happy

with the results...

A cracking job on a broken arm, ha ha.

Hope it's all good and you are out and home for Christmas.

Best wishes

It would be very helpful if any one knows of an insurance policy that covers the rider and pillion

against mega hospital bills like mine, in a sense, I was lucky that the guy who hit me had a third

party insurance as many vehicles are on the roads now days with no insurance at all save for

the compulsory/mandatory third party coverage that every vehicle must have known as the po lo bo.

I intend to do some searching around for such coverage and will post results if any..

It would be very helpful if any one knows of an insurance policy that covers the rider and pillion

against mega hospital bills like mine, in a sense, I was lucky that the guy who hit me had a third

party insurance as many vehicles are on the roads now days with no insurance at all save for

the compulsory/mandatory third party coverage that every vehicle must have known as the po lo bo.

I intend to do some searching around for such coverage and will post results if any..

I have been doing the same & about the only thing I can see is

a personal accident policy as it covers motorcycle accidents is not too costly & can

be bought with some fairly high limits. I see one at 350k motorcycle accident for 7k a year

here

http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/insurance/Pa45+-insurance-seller_th.html

Unfortunately P.A. policies do not cover medical expenses more than 600k Baht (which is not always sufficient for serious injuries) so the only sensible option is a proper medical policy which covers not just accidents but any other problem you may have and need hospitalisation.

Yes but at what premium?

Most of the health care/medical in patient policies I have seen like LMG's executive plan ( their highest coverage )

runs just under 20,000 baht a year ( for my age group over 55 under 60 ) yet covers only 646,000 max limit per disability anyway.

So what specific policies would you suggest at a reasonable yearly cost that exceeds a PA policy?

Edited by meechai