New Forum

lampard10

i think you have all missed the point of the bashers , be they pattaya bashers , koh samui bashers , or thailand bashers , and that is the fun to be had by the bashers during the bashing process at the expense of the defenders , i.e. the bashees

it has got nothing to do with the supposed object of the bashing etc., but all to do with the fun of the wind up and the leading on of the aggrieved inhabitants of the region under siege.

Try putting that one in bloody rhyme :o

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you have all missed the point of the bashers , be they pattaya bashers , koh samui bashers , or thailand bashers , and that is the fun to be had by the bashers during the bashing process at the expense of the defenders , i.e. the bashees

it has got nothing to do with the supposed object of the bashing etc., but all to do with the fun of the wind up and the leading on of the aggrieved inhabitants of the region under siege.

There's been many a time - especially during the past few days - when down in Pattaya, I've felt like one of the British soldiers at Rorke's Drift.

And we all know what happened to the Zulus! :o

What? Oldhandasia hasn't shown up here yet? :o

Way too easy for him in here ... he'll be looking for something like"where can I buy a1 steak-sauce in BKK to totally hi-jack and make it about why he hates Thailand :D

STAY COOL……JAI YEN YEN…………Give him a break.

I went to West Yorkshire once. It was crap.

You can tell a Yorkshireman... but not much :o

'Tis true.

Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bread,

Strong in the arm and ... I'm sure you know how it goes :D

PS You can buy A1 Steak Sauce in Villa or Foodland, I saw it once in one of them. There's no real harm in craving the condiments of home. For me it's pickle.

"As someone said a long, long time ago, we criticise because we love the place. We want it to be better. We know it can be better."

Well, in Europe, if the immigrants complain about things in their new country we tell them to go back where they came from if they don't like it.

So I think that the Thais have the full right to say the same to us.

And we have to accept that things are different here (that's why I live here).

And I am 100 times more happy living here in Thailand now!

brs

What a wonderful bunch of replies. A dodgy topic, but worth the effort. Even had someone criticize me because I adore the place. I may live , as a lot of you say, " out in the sticks" but Surin is a wonderful place to live. I hope there is no problem in the future, as we have now around 15-20 new farangs every month coming out here to live. And they're just the ones that introduce themselves to me. I for one will never go back to the U.K. again. By God, I'm proud to be British, but it ends there. And anyway there's not that many English left in England.

What a wonderful bunch of replies. A dodgy topic, but worth the effort. Even had someone criticize me because I adore the place. I may live , as a lot of you say, " out in the sticks" but Surin is a wonderful place to live. I hope there is no problem in the future, as we have now around 15-20 new farangs every month coming out here to live. And they're just the ones that introduce themselves to me. I for one will never go back to the U.K. again. By God, I'm proud to be British, but it ends there. And anyway there's not that many English left in England.

How true that is of London!

Travel on the underground and the least heard language is English..... :o

Or perhaps we are just the silent majority........ :D

Well, in Europe, if the immigrants complain about things in their new country we tell them to go back where they came from if they don't like it.

Actually, that is not exactly how *we* handle criticism in Europe, that is how cristicism is dealt with in a European beerhall by some drunks.

We listen to the criticism, think if it may be justified or not, as relative newcomers and outsiders do often have very refreshing viewpoints on a culture and sythem they have to adapt to, and therefore have the ability to improve the society.

thailand is great... but some thai people are just f-up! i can't really talk about it that good in english, but the last time i went back to thailand i had a real hard time dealing with some thai without the thought of strangling them.

it's cultural thing that they love looking down on others. prejudice as hel_l. it's anoying.

i'm thai, btw. (i told you, i can't really tell it that good in english.)

PM me tho, if it makes sense to you.

PS, i don't hate thailand tho, i just hate bad people.

Edited by mikeize

I've never heard a Thai telling a foreigner to go home, it is always some expat hiding behind a web-board

I've never heard a Thai telling a foreigner to go home, it is always some expat hiding behind a web-board

Yes I agree, but there are still too many people on this Forum that think Thailand would be great if it wasn't for the Thai people. I think Thailand is great BECAUSE of the Thai people.

Yes I agree, but there are still too many people on this Forum that think Thailand would be great if it wasn't for the Thai people. I think Thailand is great BECAUSE of the Thai people.

OK, no problems with that at all.

But why the need to deny other's their opinion?

How true that is of London!

Travel on the underground and the least heard language is English..... :o

Or perhaps we are just the silent majority........ :D

Yep, those bastard foreigners moving into our country! :D

OK, no problems with that at all.

But why the need to deny other's their opinion?

I think mainly because it is always the same old crowd.

Topic: farangs pay double.....answer ;Thailands crap

Topic: murder in Pattaya.......answer; Thailands crap

Topic: Suicide in Pattaya.......answer; no it was murder Thailands crap

Topic: Baht bus driver hits drunken man.......answer; happens all the time Thailands crap.

Topic; Baht bus driver returns 40,000 baht...answer; nothing

Now if it was one farang that was against double pricing, another fed up with the crime rate etc., another fed up with something else; I totally agree with you. But it's not. It seems to be the same whingers all the time. Maybe I'm just trying to protect a loved one,( Thailand) and see things in a different light. But I'll bet you one thing. All these people that pick on the slightest little thing, came here first on holiday and loved the place.

Edited by lampard10

But I'll bet you one thing. All these people that pick on the slightest little thing, came here first on holiday and loved the place.

Then you'd have to admit to the possibility of you yourself going the same way.

Perhaps you should move somewhere where there are no moaning farangs.

Now if it was one farang that was against double pricing, another fed up with the crime rate etc., another fed up with something else; I totally agree with you. But it's not. It seems to be the same whingers all the time. Maybe I'm just trying to protect a loved one,( Thailand) and see things in a different light. But I'll bet you one thing. All these people that pick on the slightest little thing, came here first on holiday and loved the place.

I neither hate nor love Thailand, it simply has been home for a very long time. Most people i know who *loved* Thailand ended up hating the place as soon as the first unpleasant events happened to them personally. I anyhow have difficulties who someone can "love" a country... :o

And i don't understand what your problem is with someone disliking double pricing. And having certain problems with the rising crime rate in Thailand is IMO perfectly normal, complaining about the present political situation is natural as well, it is not just farang who do that, most Thais nowadays do the same as soon as they start opening their mouth.

If anyone believes that Thailand is the "Land of Smile" of the tourist pamphlets, that anyone should prepare for a serious shock. Thailand is a land in serious trouble, not accepting that Thailand is violent, corrupt, and has an entirely unfair social sythem is being blind towards reality, and most Thais would straight away agree with this asessment.

That though has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that one can have a comparatively very pleasant life here, if one has enough money and cultural tolerance.

It's probably somewhere in between. Which leaves plenty space for both criticism as well as compliments.

Personally I'm very suspicious of anything thats presented from only one angle.... maybe why advertising has always left me cold.

I neither hate nor love Thailand, it simply has been home for a very long time. Most people i know who *loved* Thailand ended up hating the place as soon as the first unpleasant events happened to them personally. I anyhow have difficulties who someone can "love" a country... :o

And i don't understand what your problem is with someone disliking double pricing. And having certain problems with the rising crime rate in Thailand is IMO perfectly normal, complaining about the present political situation is natural as well, it is not just farang who do that, most Thais nowadays do the same as soon as they start opening their mouth.

If anyone believes that Thailand is the "Land of Smile" of the tourist pamphlets, that anyone should prepare for a serious shock. Thailand is a land in serious trouble, not accepting that Thailand is violent, corrupt, and has an entirely unfair social sythem is being blind towards reality, and most Thais would straight away agree with this asessment.

That though has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that one can have a comparatively very pleasant life here, if one has enough money and cultural tolerance.

Very good post, and one that I entirely agree with.

That's not to say that Thailand is necessarily any worse than a number of other countries, but there are certainly a lot of problems here that need to be addressed, and one day hopefully will be. Keeping silent, especially by Thais, will not help matters.

However, as farangs, although we have every right to complain and criticise, we have to keep a balance and make sure that our moans don't take over our lives, and drive those around us to distraction.

At the end of the day,the good must outweigh the bad, otherwise we wouldn't stay here, so constructive criticism at the right place and right time, and for the rest of it - get on with it and enjoy life. :D

Very good post, and one that I entirely agree with.

That's not to say that Thailand is necessarily any worse than a number of other countries, but there are certainly a lot of problems here that need to be addressed, and one day hopefully will be. Keeping silent, especially by Thais, will not help matters.

However, as farangs, although we have every right to complain and criticise, we have to keep a balance and make sure that our moans don't take over our lives, and drive those around us to distraction.

At the end of the day,the good must outweigh the bad, otherwise we wouldn't stay here, so constructive criticism at the right place and right time, and for the rest of it - get on with it and enjoy life. :D

An exceptionally good post from Colpyat, absolutely on the money.

As to your post, a little Pollyanna-like if I may say so.The concept of "constructive criticism" is not understood in Thailand.Ask any farang manager who has to endure the annual round of staff appraisals.

In terms of fair distribution of wealth, to take just one example, Thailand is a great deal worse than most other countries.There are many other examples.

As to not staying here if the bad outweighed the good, many of us have no choice given our family responsibilities.I would also remind you that some of us were sent to Thailand by our employers.We are not all ex-tourists who liked what they saw and stayed on.(I am putting that last part very politely!)

Edited by Cassandra

Should be we A:- Banish all critical posts of this perfect land overflowing with perfect people.

B:- Agree that moaning is also a way of coping.

I, like many folks, enjoy living here, but it's far from ideal. However, at times things get me down and a bit of a whine about people on the BTS or insane taxis etc helps me get over it and plan my next golf trip were I will have a great time with my mixed race group and an excellent caddy.

Plus, isn't moaning about moaning a form of moaning.

How the colonel likes to see doom, Thailand in 'serious trouble', civil war predicted in his other posts!

I would say more than smiles Thailand is a land of laughter, and for those foreigners who don't enjoy simple pleasures such as going out in groups, eating together and making gentle fun of each other, then they're never going to be content.

Excellent post, ColPyat.

How the colonel likes to see doom, Thailand in 'serious trouble', civil war predicted in his other posts!

I would say more than smiles Thailand is a land of laughter, and for those foreigners who don't enjoy simple pleasures such as going out in groups, eating together and making gentle fun of each other, then they're never going to be content.

A land of laughter?

Hmmm, right. :o

A near civil war in the three southernmost provinces, no solution in sight...

Bangkok's industrial suburbs descending more and more into a nightmare of youth gang violence...

A still unsolved political crises with a population polarised to an extend it never was...

An economy that is getting worse...

Still unsolved land right issues in the north and northeast...

Huge debts under especially the rural population...

Drugs on the way to make a huge return...

But no, everything is perfectly in order, because we can go out and have a laugh. Simple pleasures for simplistic people...

It,s good to have the odd moan but when the cynics start it,s a bit much and not constructive.

Take a look at how the letters page in the pattaya mail has developed, it,s really depressing some times and i for one stopped reading it.

I remember when i first came here.

Oh Oh here we go....swing the lights

I used to go out very happy and sit listening to the constant moaning and it used to piss me right off.

Eventually i used to shut off from it all and still do, most of the time.

Unless it,s from someone i know who doesn,t usually whine, then i listen as it,s usually fair comment and makes them / us feel better off loading it.

If your happy with your lot that,s all that counts at the end of the day.

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. if i might add this is a good thread as we are all getting a bit of something off our chests in one way or another, don,t you all think ???

And nothing heavy being posted either...........................nice one.

Edited by marshbags

Topics like " whats wrong with Thai people" etc etc is not contructive critisism, especially when the post is about 1 bad experience and then turns into Thai people are all stupid etc etc.

Those topics used to cause me to flame and take a weeks holiday from the mods.

Excellent post, ColPyat.

Thank you. :o

I do enjoy living here tremendously. But i do have enough money, i have a profession that i can do here, which i love as well.

Nevertheless, i am very concerned about the social and political situation here. I just try to avoid that this mess is influencing my personal level of wellbeing and happyness too much. These are two different things alltogether.

I do not like that right now the political mess is affecting my daily life as i feel that people are getting more agressive and short-fused, but i explain that by the frustrations people naturally carry. I ty to avoid whining about little things. In the place of my birth there are far more things that do affect me personally in a negative way, but the political situation is of course far better there.

I always liked to live in Asia, enjoy the nice things and accept that some things are not that nice here, and try, where and when i can, to help improve things.

That's why i am still here after nearly twenty years in this fascinating continent, closed to half my life, and have no intentions to permanently move back to the west.

Well .... with all the predictions of doom and gloom that some people keep coming up with the idea of continuing to stay in a country they are predcting a full-scale civil war for etc etc is AMAZING ...

Loving Thailand is like really loving a person ... you probably don't like one thing about about your best friend but you love him anyways. If you really do love your friend you may try to gently steer them from a destructive course but you don't TELL them what to do .. you don't incessantly whine about them etc etc. You accept them with their warts and all ... and focus on their good points!

Really ... why incessantly whinge on about what is part of reality here? At some point the cry-babies need to take a look at themselves and see if they can cope with reality here. If not well ... there ARE other places to try ... but then they'll shortly find out that no matter what ... wherever they go ... there will be a common element.

"Wherever you go; There you are!"

Edited by jdinasia

Well .... with all the predictions of doom and gloom that some people keep coming up with the idea of continuing to stay in a country they are predcting a full-scale civil war for etc etc is AMAZING ...

Why is it *AMAZING* to continue to stay in a country that has some difficult times ahead?

I am not here on a prolonged holiday, i am here because this place became home, i have responsibilities and duties towards the people who rely on me. Just because things might get uncomfortable i am not going to run out on them just because i can.

Anyhow, however i may be negatively affected by what might come here, Thais will be affected far worse. And no - i don't predict a "full-scale civil war", i only said that one of the right conditions is set for such an event right now, and that other contributing factors might come along as well, which does not bring a future civil war out of the equasion. There is a difference, but why let truth spoil a good story? :o.

Why is it *AMAZING* to continue to stay in a country that has some difficult times ahead?

I am not here on a prolonged holiday, i am here because this place became home, i have responsibilities and duties towards the people who rely on me. Just because things might get uncomfortable i am not going to run out on them just because i can.

Anyhow, however i may be negatively affected by what might come here, Thais will be affected far worse. And no - i don't predict a "full-scale civil war", i only said that one of the right conditions is set for such an event right now, and that other contributing factors might come along as well, which does not bring a future civil war out of the equasion. There is a difference, but why let truth spoil a good story? :D.

I love Thailand, but I'm afraid that I must agree with ColPyat on this one.

When a very respected fellow passes on of old age some day, it could rock this country to the roots. I hope that day is far, far away! :o

I love Thailand, but I'm afraid that I must agree with ColPyat on this one.

When a very respected fellow passes on of old age some day, it could rock this country to the roots. I hope that day is far, far away! :o

BIG MISTAKE!

Now you gonna get accused by the usual fella of lese majeste, and of dishonesty, trolling and generally being an ###### for agreeing with me. :D