Click v Scoopy v Spacy

wjhall

Our Yamaha Mio is getting more and more unreliable so I think it's time for a new bike. It will be used by my wife and her young adult daughters (not by me). It will only be used for running around town with sometimes a trip to the nearest big town - 50km round trip.

I favour the Click ( and so does the oldest daughter) but my wife and other daughter like the Spacy or Scoopy.

Any advice from current owners of any of these bikes would be gratefully received. Also before I make the trip to the dealer in town what sort of price could I expect to pay? I've been told (all approx) Spacy 42,000 scoopy 46.000 Click 48,500

Thanks!

Click 125 can only be legally ridden by 17+ year olds.

Too heavy for many girls.

But if you buy one, top of range is 52k and has mag wheels, combo brakes and engine idle stop/start, for 3k5 extra well worth while.

Spacey is 110cc and much lighter, legal for 15-17 year olds

Edited by FiftyTwo

A Click, more power, looks better, handles better, bigger wheels handle frequent potholes much better and even you might like riding it. Then a Scoopy then a Spacey. Get the Click with mags, worth the extra money. I wouldn't worry about the weight. I've seen 10 yr old girls riding bikes with 3 friends on it at the same time.

A Click, more power, looks better, handles better, bigger wheels handle frequent potholes much better and even you might like riding it. Then a Scoopy then a Spacey. Get the Click with mags, worth the extra money. I wouldn't worry about the weight. I've seen 10 yr old girls riding bikes with 3 friends on it at the same time.

Some forum members like their family to stay legal.

17+ is legal for a Click 125, else no insurance cover.

Some forum members like their family to stay legal.

17+ is legal for a Click 125, else no insurance cover.

Even if that is true, the basic insurance here is a joke. I'd rather my daughter be on a better all round bike for safety. Bigger wheels are much better than small wheels when hitting potholes. The OP states the nearest town is a 50Km round trip, so it sounds like he lives off the beaten track a little ie many potholes. The Click would handle higher speeds more safely on that long trip.

I bought a Scoopy for my wife app 4 month ago. I urged her to get a Click but no she wanted a Scoopy Dobby.

I hate the fxxxxxx thing, everything on that scooter screams cheap but okay my wife only uses it for very small shopping trips, it have done app. 1100 km in 4 month. OP you said 50 km round trips to nearest big town, that is what I would consider a major trip on a bike like that.

Of the 3 bikes you mention get a Click, it will be better suited for a trip like that.

I have a PCX150 myself and it is a Rolls Royce compared to Scoopy which you can a Toyota Viros, ha-ha.

That being said my wife find the PCX too big and she once tilted on it at standstill but thankfully nothing happened to either her nor bike.

The Spacey wheels are the same size as the Click.

I had a second hand Scoopy and there was nothing wrong with it except it needed a quick reassembly of the fairing to eliminate a noisy vibration. Other than that, had strong high quality build, identical to Click and Spacey.

Even if the Cick 125cc is no doubt a better bike, if the law says 110cc before 17 yrs of age, it would be right to follow it, just to set an example.

• Like 1

I think a stable bike would be a Zommer-X. specially for teens. big fat tires, great for bad roads.

edit: but of course, the click 125 is by far the best of all the bikes, it's faster, very easy to handle. but I would be careful handing a 125click to some underage teen...

Edited by brfsa2

Scoopy is my most favorite little scooter of all time. Bullet proof, and good balance between (lack of) power and (lack of) weight wink.png

Looks nice too, esp. if you remove the stickers. I don't see the appeal of the Click. All the rental clicks I tried seemed to handle much worse than the Scoopy (then again maybe there was something wrong with the rental bikes?). Also tested various Yamahas, PCX, etc, but always got back to the Scoopy.

Never tried spacy...

Edited by nikster

The wife and I got a Scoopy Club 12 for her kid. The under 17 law was part of it. But the Club 12 is a good package for a small scooter. It's got fat tubeless tyres on alloy rims, FI, button unlock for underseat, projector headlamp with LED marker lights.

For me and the wife it's no PCX150 powerhouse! We took it up to Bowin for the first service yesterday. Our weight was against us! On the way back we hit WOT on a few stretches and saw 100kph for a few seconds till the wind died down.

It's higher than our old Fino so the kid has to wait at lights on tip toes. And the brake levers are a long stretch for her little fingers.

Wave or Fino.

OP sensibly asked about a modern, practical, flat footrest automatic scooter, not an underbone motorbike like the wave is.

Despite the latter being, oh so much better due to ther smaller undersprung masses, right-in-between feet marvelous stiffening frame, allowing for, hold yourself, smaller tires.

Edited by paz

For about 1/8-1/4 the cost of a new scooter, I'd get the Mio gone over properly.

That's about the same as the depreciation on a new scooter the day you ride it out of the shop.

But I'm a cheap bastard.

I'd say most of us here would if we were back in our home countries, feel entitled to a new car rather than to subsribe to the last owner's problems. In any case buying a good used car still might make good sense due to lower depreciation, lower initial cost, and a lower insurance rate. But here a new motorbike such as a Mio will cost roughly 6.25 % of what the average new car would cost in the United States. This is chickenfeed. Here's another number to ponder. Say my 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance or the new Yamaha SX that's replaced it cost 10,000 baht more than a Mio, Scoopy, Spacy, Fino, Filano, etc. I've had my Elegance now for 5 years. So it's been costing me 2,000 baht more per year to have two shocks, a stronger engine, and an incomparably stronger chassis along with larger tires. As I keep mentioning in my motorbike reviews there is an upper brace in bikes such as the Nouvo SX or a Honda PCX. The chassis rigidity of such bikes (and this even includes the likes of a Honda Wave) makes them far superior to all bikes with floorboards that lack this upper brace. Companies such as Honda and Yamaha would prefer to VASTLY cheapen the construction of such bikes to increase their net profit while selling the delusion that such engineering is "good enough" while appealing to the good looks and nostalgia of these Vespa look alikes at the expense of common sense. Obviously their marketing strategy is working.

For about 1/8-1/4 the cost of a new scooter, I'd get the Mio gone over properly.

That's about the same as the depreciation on a new scooter the day you ride it out of the shop.

But I'm a cheap bastard.

I'd say most of us here would if we were back in our home countries, feel entitled to a new car rather than to subscribe to the last owner's problems.

And that's one reason I'm a used car kind of guy. So many people feel "entitled to a new car", even if the one they own is fine. Every year, they come out with newer and zoomier stuff, making last year's model perfectly serviceable, but stylistically obsolete. I choose not to participate in that cycle.

I have no problem with anyone's decision on how to spend their money, and neither do I begrudge anyone who's even more frugal than me. The used vehicle I bought in Thailand cost me 3.5 days' salary, and the used scooter I bought cost me what I make before lunch in a day. Both work fine, and neither will win any beauty contests. If my employment in Thailand is cut short, I won't feel too bad dumping either at a fire sale price to get out of Dodge for my next job. Maybe that's a special situation, but I know a lot of guys here in the same employment boat. And I suspect a lot of guys' Thailand adventure will be unexpectedly cut short and they don't even know it yet.

My point is, that for about the down payment on a new scooter, a sound used scooter can be brought up to snuff here in Thailand where the low cost of labor makes it worth fixing things. Then I'd have a serviceable scooter with no additional payments. For another few dozen dollars, all the plastic fairings can be replaced. No, it's not going to be a shiny new scooter, but they're simple enough that they can be rebuilt from the ground up in a couple of days.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy a fixer-upper with hopes of saving money, and I wouldn't do it myself unless it was a vintage Vespa or something similar- a labor of love. But if I had a scooter and I knew everything that was wrong with it, I'd think long and hard before dumping it for a new one. That's just me, and not for everybody. Nobody buying a new car or scooter will ever get any guff from me. I hope the OP enjoys whatever he buys.

Edit: The other trigger for me in the OP is the regular 50km trip. That kind of usage calls for a utility vehicle, not a vanity vehicle. Even a new scooter is going to need to be looked after often with that kind of usage, and won't look new for very long anyway.

Edited by impulse