External Hard Drive.

chiangrai

I know that automatic system sounds good in a previous life but not so good today when malware could destroy it. Backup should not be able to be accessed without non software actions when not actually required for use. Keep it powered down or remove USB cord, if that that type.

O.K.

Thanks to everybody.I went to bed early last night and woke up to all the answers.

I knew nothing before now.

I know Invernet,their cheapest ones are Toshiba 500GB and the price is right for me.

I actually have to go to the city any way next week and I will look in Tescos and Central.

Last question,what is a TB

Thanks again.

I know that automatic system sounds good in a previous life but not so good today when malware could destroy it. Backup should not be able to be accessed without non software actions when not actually required for use. Keep it powered down or remove USB cord, if that that type.

I don't understand this part. I have lots of malware fighters on my computer. Twice now I have had my main hdd fail, but without problems because I had an image made at 2:00 AM that very morning. I simply put in a new hdd, and imaged it from the backup. All that was missing of importance were the emails I had received in that past few hours. They were still on my ISP's server and I pulled them right in.

I would far rather have that image every night than to lose a drive and not have current backups. I can always fight the malware after the restore if I find any.

This is Windows Backup making the image, and Cobian Backup backing up certain groups of files I choose.

Exactly where is the danger?

Because there are scripts now in use that can be used to control even remote hard drives so if they have access it is gone. The new ransom malware can be used to do this and if that is your only b/u you are totally dead. Better to make weekly back ups if you can not do manually each day as you can still recover with minor damage (unless for work-which should justify making a b/u each day without internet access or leaving that drive on-line).

Read this for most current news - and understand any attached HD could be lost to it or a new version. It is a very serious issue. And may not be a small payment involved to get access again - it could be totally lost even in this version.

You can not restore if you do not have access to the back up file. If encrypted you will not.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-20/rising-tide-of-ransomware/5170422

I always travel around with this very small and compact 500GB harddrive, I bought at tesco. It's reliable.

It's USB connected (power&data).

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/storage-devices/portable-storage/ministationtm/ministation-plus/

[edit] I was attracted by it's namewhistling.gif

Good luck chiangrai.

Edited by Dancealot

Because there are scripts now in use that can be used to control even remote hard drives so if they have access it is gone. The new ransom malware can be used to do this and if that is your only b/u you are totally dead. Better to make weekly back ups if you can not do manually each day as you can still recover with minor damage (unless for work-which should justify making a b/u each day without internet access or leaving that drive on-line).

Read this for most current news - and understand any attached HD could be lost to it or a new version. It is a very serious issue. And may not be a small payment involved to get access again - it could be totally lost even in this version.

You can not restore if you do not have access to the back up file. If encrypted you will not.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-20/rising-tide-of-ransomware/5170422

I still don't understand. According to this you'd still have to click on a zip file or visit a web page that's in an email you don't know. Few of us do that.

If you did make that mistake, wouldn't this be a very good time to have the latest image for a restoration? This malware encrypts the data on a computer and renders it useless? Wouldn't that also make in incapable of running another copy of that onto your external drive?

Edited by NeverSure

Actually most of us do click on something we do not intend often. And it has got to the point that just a pointer crossing an advertisement can be an active control - trying to keep fingers in right please is another matter. It is getting harder to be sure. Yes not making a mistake should keep us safe - but it can still happen to those who are very carful. Yes the backup can be a lifesaver but these new threats can destroy that backup if it is attached to the computer when malware is active.

I'd reckon " Acronis Back Up and restore". Best tool I ever used. Buy a 1 TB external hard drive, a Samsung for around 2,700 baht and back all up. Not just drive D.

As you're using your drive C whatever you're doing, it's completely restoring all data when backed up using Acronis. Good luck!-wai2.gif

http://advice.co.th/products/

Shops everywhere......... since the floods of 2011 prices went up, even now 2 years on prices are still higher than before the Floods...

Myself have WD My Passport 1 TB, use it every day for past 5 or 6 years.......... earlier this year also bought another same but 2 TB also from WD

now 2,260 baht for 1 TB

Edited by ignis