New Years Eve gala dinners

dickie58

Heard on the local radio here this morning, NYE gala dinner @ Sheraton Hotel is 10,800bht per person, not sure what you get for that, but not sure anyone can eat anything close to that, the Entertainment these hotels put on is usally nothing to right home about?.... Not sure if that includes FREE flow drinks all night?.... They also mentioned Xmas eve dinner was 2900bht.

Saw the Royal Garden Marriott NYE one is 9000bht

It use to be if you were a staying guest at these hotels over this period & did not attend you were charged anyway?

Call me boring, I won't be going to either!!

• Like 1

The really expensive ones mostly include free-flow beer and wine (even fizzy wine for some of them though I hesitate to call it champagne). The cheaper ones have free-flow beer and wine as an optional extra.

I notice from reading the ads in the paper that Bangkok seems to offer a much bigger choice and somewhat lower prices than here, at least as far as the very big hotels go. I suppose it's because they have more competition.

I'm all for a good meal every now and again but I wouldnt pay tuppence for "entertainment" so I wont be going to those expensive affairs either, though I do have my eye on a couple of special Xmas meals that seem good value at about 600B over the festive period.

As for seeing in the new year personally I will be sitting on my balcony watching the Jomtien fireworks and drinking a glass of wine from my fridge. Unbeatable.

• Like 1

We'll just have friends around for a sumptuous 7 course dinner, they'll bring their own Vino and if anyone gets a little "over the sensible limit" they can sleep-it-off here. I don't want to contribute towards the Road Toll.

The Hotels can keep their NY Eve "Specials" and lousy entertainment, we'd much rather just go along for Lunch on another day at the Best place in town, the Empress in CNX.

• Like 1

Well if some people wants to spend 3-400 US$ on a New Year gala dinner in a 5 star resort here in Pattaya, let them.

I wonder how much it will be in a 5 star resort in the West?

Since we have a kid, we won't be going either but fire up the grill in the garden instead.

• Like 1

Well if some people wants to spend 3-400 US$ on a New Year gala dinner in a 5 star resort here in Pattaya, let them.

Since we have a kid, we won't be going either but fire up the grill in the garden instead.

I pretty much agree with you guys, I will be cooking a home cooked Turkey for 5 of us on Xmas day, have all the trimmings & some nice french wine i bought recently in Cambodia, also bought some nice cheese last w/e in the cheese room in Central chidlom, again not cheap but I like to make effort @ Xmas, & my 13 year old son enjoys it all.

As far as NY goes i will be staying in my condo & may watch fireworks out the window, after being in Thailand almost 20 years I can go out & party any night, although don't really like the big crowds anymore!

Happy Xmas to everyone.

Edited by dickie58

Me too but complete with 'The Family', can't be avoided.

I pretty much agree with you guys, I will be cooking a home cooked Turkey for 5 of us on Xmas day, have all the trimmings & some nice french wine i bought recently in Cambodia, also bought some nice cheese last w/e in the cheese room in Central chidlom, again not cheap but I like to make effort @ Xmas, & my 13 year old son enjoys it all.

As far as NY goes i will be staying in my condo & may watch fireworks out the window, after being in Thailand almost 20 years I can go out & party any night, although don't really like the big crowds anymore!

Happy Xmas to everyone.

French wine in Cambodia?

Hate to think what temperatures it's been exposed to and how it's been handled.

Might be worth giving a bottle a test drive to avoid disappointment on the day.

I learned 30 years ago to stick with Oz wines in Thailand as they travel much better.

Have a good Xmas and enjoy.

Happy Xmas to everyone.

French wine in Cambodia?

I learned 30 years ago to stick with Oz wines in Thailand as they travel much better.

There are a lot of very nice wine shops in Phnom Penh, tax on alchol there is very low, so wine available there is good quality & cheap, may have something to do with Cambodia past links to France, I tasted a bottle of Macon Villages i bought Friday night & very nice it was too, still half left in fridge, also bought a nice Chablis, 2 bottles of Sancere, all around 600bht a bottle, & 2010 Red Bordeaux Saint Emillion 12.70$

They also have Aussie, South African, Chile wines availble there @ similar or cheaper.

They have the same Macon Villages i bought in Big C extra in Pattaya klang, although 990 a bottle in there?

Edited by dickie58

Happy Xmas to everyone.

French wine in Cambodia?

There are a lot of very nice wine shops in Phnom Penh, tax on alchol there is very low, so wine available there is good quality & cheap, may have something to do with Cambodia past links to France, I tasted a bottle of Macon Villages i bought Friday night & very nice it was too, still half left in fridge, also bought a nice Chablis, 2 bottles of Sancere, all around 600bht a bottle, & 2010 Red Bordeaux Saint Emillion 12.70$

They also have Aussie, South African, Chile wines availble there @ similar or cheaper.

They have the same Macon Villages i bought in Big C extra in Pattaya klang, although 990 a bottle in there?

Sounds good then but how many bottles can you bring in?

My first choice is an old Cotes du Rhone but in BKK?

I agree, I like many of the South American, Chile especially, which seem to arrive here in good condition but just cost more than the Oz.

Meanwhile I'm on a Port hunt for the coming festivities.

I know, P*ss Poor Prior Planning etc but have been away working too much.

Sure we will all have a good time over NY.

Mod Gods: Apologies, I never seem to be able to stay on topic.

Edited by Bpuumike