Thai navy sues Phuketwan.com website over Rohingya report: editor

george

Thai navy sues website over Rohingya report: editor

BANGKOK, December 20, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's navy has launched a criminal defamation lawsuit against a Phuket-based news website, its editor said Friday, over a report alleging military involvement in networks smuggling Muslim Rohingya boat people from Myanmar.

The complaint relates to an article published in the Phuketwan website in July, quoting an investigation by the Reuters news agency, which claimed some members of the military were involved in trafficking rings that have developed in the region.

Editor Alan Morison said he and his colleague Chutima Sidasathian were on Wednesday presented with the charges of "bringing the navy into disrepute" as well as an offence under the Computer Crimes Act, which carries a more severe penalty.

"We really don't know the motives or precisely how the defamation action came about," Morison told AFP. "It clearly has huge ramifications for news agencies and people who publish stories from news agencies."

Human Rights Watch on Friday warned that the lawsuit threatened media freedom in Thailand.

"Unless the government withdraws the case, its impact will be felt far beyond those reporting on abuses against the Rohingya -- and could have a choking effect on all investigative reporting in Thailand," said Asia director Brad Adams in a statement.

The Rohingya, considered by the United Nations to be one of the most persecuted minorities in the world, have long made the perilous journey from Myanmar by boat.

But that exodus accelerated after Buddhist-Muslim clashes last year in western Rakhine State, with thousands of Rohingya -- including women and children -- since fleeing the former junta-ruled country.

Many head for Malaysia or Indonesia and Thai authorities have faced censure for pushing boats back out to sea.

Rights groups have also criticised the detention of hundreds of Rohingya in overcrowded facilities while Thailand waits for a "third country" to offer to take them.

Morison said a "huge industry" had evolved over the last five years to smuggle Rohingya, with some being held by traffickers in "secret camps in the jungle" where they are "abused an mistreated" until they pay for their onward passage.

He said the lawsuit would not stop the Phuketwan's acclaimed coverage of the issue.

"We feel as though they need someone telling this horrible story," he said, adding that he hoped the website would be able to reach an agreement with the navy.

"We are confident that common sense will prevail, but (we are) preparing for the worst just in case," he added.

The two journalists face a maximum jail term of five years or a fine of up to 100,000 baht ($3,000).

Reuters said it had not received any criminal complaint.

"Our story was fair and balanced and Reuters has not been accused of criminal libel," a spokeswoman told AFP.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-20

Wonder why they aren't going after Reuters, too big of a fish? Other sites that have made the same report last July but haven't heard anything happening to them.

Huffingtonpost Reuters accusation

Chiangraitimes

Phuketnews

Right. Reuters can fight back.

Reuters would also be able to apply diplomatic pressure via HMG. I wonder what the Australian government is doing to assist Alan Morison via diplomatic channels.

Edited by simple1

Wonder why they aren't going after Reuters, too big of a fish? Other sites that have made the same report last July but haven't heard anything happening to them.

Chiangraitimes

Phuketnews

Reuters would also be able to apply diplomatic pressure via HMG. I wonder what the Australian government is doing to assist Alan Morison via diplomatic channels.

The current Australian government is joyfully imposing a media ban regarding the arrival of boat people. The foreign minister is on the record as saying 'You arr on your own' if Australians get into trouble overseas. He wont get any help.

I believe that the Rohingya's are one of the groups that get trafficked to Australia, although I am not 100% sure how significant they are in terms of numbers. For Australia it's a tough call because if they get too active, SE Asian countries will let them continue on to Australia.

"Unless the government withdraws the case, its impact will be felt far beyond those reporting on abuses against the Rohingya -- and could have a choking effect on all investigative reporting in Thailand," said Asia director Brad Adams in a statement.

My first thoughts are that this is exactly what they are aiming at with their numerous defamation lawsuits.

Indeed.

I am quite certain that this was the precise purpose for enacting these outrageous defamation laws in the first place - there's certainly no other logical reason for attempting to stifle publication of the truth.

This is the same disgusting human trafficking that the DSI said they were aware of, but not interested in.

Just says it all really doesn't it.

Aren't these peoples used on fishing boats as slave labour? Who is behind the fishing boats?

A typical nepotistic Sino Thai-Chinese family(untouchables); perhaps most evolving from the tin mining era.

Edited by MK1

I believe that the Rohingya's are one of the groups that get trafficked to Australia, although I am not 100% sure how significant they are in terms of numbers. For Australia it's a tough call because if they get too active, SE Asian countries will let them continue on to Australia.

A few months back the Australian government enacted new legislation that any asylum seeker/refugees arrivals by sea will never be permitted entry to Australia; all will be transferred to PNG for detainment / resettlement in PNG. Alternatively, once their status has been positively vetted whilst in detainment in PNG, UHCHR can arrange resettlement to a third country,

Edited by simple1

Chiangraitimes

Phuketnews

The current Australian government is joyfully imposing a media ban regarding the arrival of boat people. The foreign minister is on the record as saying 'You arr on your own' if Australians get into trouble overseas. He wont get any help.

very different to run of the mill criminal/illegal activities. If it's attempted supression of reporting relating to human rights abuses it's likely the Oz government would endeavour to assist via diplomatic means

very different to run of the mill criminal/illegal activities. If it's attempted supression of reporting relating to human rights abuses it's likely the Oz government would endeavour to assist via diplomatic means

You obviously havent seen the current Australian foreign minister in action. The only difference between her and a rottweiler is lipstick

• Like 1

This is the same disgusting human trafficking that the DSI said they were aware of, but not interested in.

Just says it all really doesn't it.

There much too busy freezing bank accounts and intimidating people on the orders of ................ schhh, you know who!

Seriously, what a joke. Why don't the RTN sue the DSI for saying they are aware of it?

"Editor Alan Morison said he and his colleague Chutima Sidasathian were on Wednesday presented with the charges of "bringing the navy into disrepute" as well as an offence under the Computer Crimes Act, which carries a more severe penalty."

Does any body have any information about this Computer Crimes Act?

"Editor Alan Morison said he and his colleague Chutima Sidasathian were on Wednesday presented with the charges of "bringing the navy into disrepute" as well as an offence under the Computer Crimes Act, which carries a more severe penalty."

I posted a link in one of my pinned topics - Computer Crime Act

One issue with it is there are places that are 'open to interpretation'. smile.png

• Like 1

A few months back the Australian government enacted new legislation that any asylum seeker/refugees arrivals by sea will never be permitted entry to Australia; all will be transferred to PNG for detainment / resettlement in PNG. Alternatively, once their status has been positively vetted whilst in detainment in PNG, UHCHR can arrange resettlement to a third country,

Whether they get to Australia or not, they are Australia's problem and the Oz gov't gets to pay for them.

I posted a link in one of my pinned topics - Computer Crime Act

One issue with it is there are places that are 'open to interpretation'. smile.png

Why dont people just say his lover Chutima?

Thailand is moving backwards, step by step, and is going to end up in the same spot Burma was years ago... extremely oppressed.

When the United States of America moves away and back from the basic tenents of its globally admired consitution, and with the still ridiculously repressive regime in China becoming the new global economic leader, one can only expect secondary countries like Thailand to take major steps backwards away from any "enlightened" stance towards its populace and move towards the more oppresive stance now favored by the world's leading economies. And Burma has not changed as much as you might want to believe, Suu Kyi sold out, suckered by HIllary Clinton.

• Like 1