An ordinary Thai's impression of us Westerners.

i claudius

Firstly we need to establish what this thread is about.

Key words here are westerner but poorly dressed and poor old woman a thai selling food on a cart on the street looking down on those westerners.

Shock by the OP cos as you know to the op as long as those ppl are westerners they can be covered head to toe in tattoes, be scruffy, behave badly but of course will always be higher up the totem pole compared to some poor thai street vendor.

It's obviously the worst form of racism and that mentality has to stop. If one wants respect he should carry himself well and not dress up like crap or act like crap.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Key words here are westerner but poorly dressed and poor old woman a thai selling food on a cart on the street looking down on those westerners.

Shock by the OP cos as you know to the op as long as those ppl are westerners they can be covered head to toe in tattoes, be scruffy, behave badly but of course will always be higher up the totem pole compared to some poor thai street vendor.

It's obviously the worst form of racism and that mentality has to stop. If one wants respect he should carry himself well and not dress up like crap or act like crap.

I'm thinking "poor old woman street vendor" is only one step up from a beggar.

If most of us can't look down on a person like that ......... not to do with race or nationality.

Yep, I'm way up the totem pole from her. Along with everyone else posting on this forum.

Do you doubt it for a minute? (I hate false humility)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Problem with the fashion police, we all think different fashions are the right one.

I spend a fortune on hoodies, wicking sports clothing and running shoes.

Anyone who ain't wearing $100+ running shoes or $100+ hoodies, arrest and deportation IMHO.

Same here. I like high top Nikes and baggy Evisu jeans, Evisu start from 12.000 and go up 20 000 baht.

That cart lady would give one glance towards me, and she would think Im a homeless person.

My favirote Nikes are Nike Pandas, only 200 pairs were produced, Pandas were sold only in one Nike shop, shop is near Tokyo zoo, and shoes lool little bit like Pandas. These Nikes are collectable, sometimes they come up on Ebay, priced from 500 to 900 USD.

I own 2 pairs. That cart lady can think what she wants, I dont care, she is porobably illiterate.

Btw, check out the Pandas, there is one pair listed now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Nike-Dunk-High-Premium-Mita-Ueno-Panda-Japan-sz-8-5-Black-White-SB-/271326245131?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f2c4df10b

• Like 1

The phoney charade of fake smiles is what is uniquely Thai trait. It's the dishonest way they put up the show for us.

Id much rather be told, or let in to the fact, that most barely tolerate us. But they are not capable of being honest, that is another uniquely Thai trait.

Could not agree more about the fake smiles that I abhor so much, but I thought this thread was about farangs, how we behave, how adaptable we are and how sensitive we are about possibly offending people around us.

Just because we are considered walking ATMs by a fairly big percentage of Thais and just because we pay to breathe air here does not mean we should go around insulting other people. Two wrongs do not make it right.

My point was that I had to agree with the "old grubby som tum" lady in that there is not so insignificant portion of farangs who behave as if they are from another planet, as if they had never had any normal human interaction in their lives (I am NOT referring to how people dress here). I see it daily in Pattaya. I can't see how it can be not embarrassing for anyone (not necessarily of the same nationality or even race).

I certainly did not say that ,there is no implacation that we are higher up the totam pole

No doubt! Foreigners are often never liked in any country.

But there one nuance that makes Thailand very different..

Germans do not like Turks, who live and work in Germany. But most Germans are honest, and up front about. Same deal with Mexicans who live and work in US.

I feel sorry for newcomers, who have yet to learn the truth, and they often learn the lesson the hard way.

The phoney charade of fake smiles is what is uniquely Thai trait. It's the dishonest way they put up the show for us.

Id much rather be told, or let in to the fact, that most barely tolerate us. But they are not capable of being honest, that is another uniquely Thai trait.

So that is what makes me not care at all, what they think of me. I know what they think of me, but I dont let it bother me.

There is no snow here in winter time, and it is very cheap to live here, compared to Europe. But that is all.

Why should they tolerate you guys?

Funny tread.

Look how the Thai's dress and take it from there.

It's more your personal appearance that counts, I mean: shave in the morning before you go out is a good start (unless you have a full beard, then trim it, but must be hot here, lol).

Get a hair cut often, just had one today for 100 baht, can be had from app. 60 baht up to +500 depending of location and amount of hair to be cut.

At the movement I wear jeans because of the cold but in the hot season I off-course wear shorts.

Don't shout at people unless they just stole your bike/car/wallet or what ever.

Being polite and cheerful are liked in Thailand, arrogance isn't.

I never wear flip-flops unless going to the beach (which is not often), I don't like wearing them for some reason.

It needs to be considered that 'you' and 'they' will often have wildly different cultural frames of reference, behaviour expectations , morals, which makes understanding the opinion of the other so difficult and frustrating. (not to say trying to isn't worthwhile).

Opinions, prejudices, etc you can deconstruct to show as invalid, or unimformed, but for the little things in life like this, who really gives a f***?

I dressed the way I wanted to dress where I

came from without giving a dam_n what anyone thought and I came here because a friend

asked me for help. Here, there, makes no difference to me and I try to mind my own business

wherever I am. You might give that a go.

Same here.

It should be pretty easy to distance yourself from bogan trailer trash by simply not being it in the first place.

I personally find 'farang' quite offensive, I'm a person not a birthplace 'they' most likely know absolutely nothing about anyway.

Frankly it's quite strange and indefensible, play in your sandpit., but I don't blow my stack about it.

I'd suggest the more important question of weather the food the vendor sells sell is nice biggrin.png

Edited by MilesofSmiles
  • Like 2

Funny tread.

Look how the Thai's dress and take it from there.

So I should dress like a middle-aged Thai man ? I might as well start wearing Safari suits - many Thai men look like complete dorks IMO. I'm not talking about stall owners in Patpong - I'm talking the middle class who seem to have Gidget as their style consultant. One of the more encouraging treands is that I now see more young Thai guys willing to dress for the climate, instead of trying to look like some horrific interpretation of 'business casual'. We've all see the advice that Asian men regard shorts as clothing suitable only for children or the beach - that appears to be changing, along with the ubiqitous designer t-shirt and a pair of loafers (minus any socks above the ankle) is much more common attire in BKK than it was 10 or 15 years ago.

For those who are serious about this, start reading GQ and allowing women/gay men to dress you - just be warned that it wont be cheap. Personally, I'd prefer to spend my money on audio, but that's just me. I have no axe to grind here, but given that I dont look like Ryan Reynolds there is little point trying to dress like him ...

1356025023_blake-lively-ryan-reynolds-46

Germans do not like Turks, who live and work in Germany. But most Germans are honest, and up front about. Same deal with Mexicans who live and work in US.

I feel sorry for newcomers, who have yet to learn the truth, and they often learn the lesson the hard way.

So that is what makes me not care at all, what they think of me. I know what they think of me, but I dont let it bother me.

There is no snow here in winter time, and it is very cheap to live here, compared to Europe. But that is all.

Why should they tolerate you guys?

post-81023-0-35354500-1387850450_thumb.j

• Like 2

I know Dracula will always be painted as a villain, but at least he was always very smartly dressed, with his white shirt, bow tie and all. When you consider what a scruffy bugger that Frankenstein was with his ill-fitting, Norman Wisdom jacket and half-mast ragged trousers!! Eeh, fancy his creator letting him go out like that!!

Thanks Viz.....

Phoney Thai smile, eh? I find it to be just the opposite. I suspect that you possess the overly suspicious and paranoid nature of one who is himself insincere. Give a real smile and get one in return.wink.png Would not want to do business with you.rolleyes.gif

Was this pressed trousers and pressed shirt?

She may have had a different perception had she known the real you and your spelling abilities.

Whits wrong with my spooling ,i tipe fast .

No just an ordinary shirt and cheap trousers and horror of horror flip flops.

I am not sure about clothing. Impressions vary widely and can be rapidly influenced. I believe that it is very much one-on-one. If you are thinking overall "like us" or "not like us" then Westerners who show a modicum of respect and patience are well perceived.

PS. Don't let that joker bug you. Your post was perfectly intelligible and any dolt that worries on typos has nothing to say anyway. It is feedback from a source who is not bright enough to recognize opposing keys on a keyboard.

• Like 1

Not just "us." Equal opportunity! Thais give other Thais the full smile treatment as well. And Thais are continually cheating other Thais--besides doing good of course. smile.png It's not so hard because Thais tend to believe other Thais. Ask a Thai whether he/she has ever lent money to another Thai but didn't get repaid. Ha! Is there one in the entire country? On the other hand, no Thai is as stupid as a tourist when it comes to believing in a fantasy. And Thais working in tourist resorts know that.

A Thai smile must be carefully interpreted. Biggest problem may simply be that a Thai is usually sincere for the moment. A little later, when things change for the worse, as they commonly do, it's thought that the earlier "sincerity" was fake. Not so! Point is, not to pay much attention to it except as decoration: it really does look nice, esp after you've lived in one of the stern "no smile" cultures.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

The assumption that there exists a typical or "ordinary" Thai and any such opposing "ordinary" Westerner is false and thus most of the comments here are wrongly based. Two Thais will react differently to any one foreigner depending on their own mid set as well as the foreigner's demeanor just as two foreigners might react differently to any one Thai depending on the same factors.

• Like 1

Who gives a toss.

Obviously the Thais do...

As if that means anything. The only thing they really care about your money.

I think that likely says more about the places you frequent than anything else. Step away from the bars and the go-go joints and you will find that your interactions will be much different....

Who gives a toss.

Obviously the Thais do...

I think that likely says more about the places you frequent than anything else. Step away from the bars and the go-go joints and you will find that your interactions will be much different....

I would say your dead right ,last night 3 of our Thai neigbours came to bring us small christmas gifts even though they are all Bhuddists. they do it every year.

• Like 1

Yea, that must be the problem. I need to get out of the go-go bars so I can be around real Thais who have zero interest in money. Now that I think about it, just the idea that so many of them just want our money is silly, I admit.

• Like 2

Yea, that must be the problem. I need to get out of the go-go bars so I can be around real Thais who have zero interest in money. Now that I think about it, just the idea that so many of them just want our money is silly, I admit.

Away from the hookers and those out to take your cash(same anywhere in the world) they do not think about you at all ,let alone your money ,you know very little about Thailand or Thai people away from the tourist areas ,so don't bother to comment.

Away from the hookers and those out to take your cash(same anywhere in the world) they do not think about you at all ,let alone your money ,you know very little about Thailand or Thai people away from the tourist areas ,so don't bother to comment.

You're being a bit harsh here IMO.

Tokay said above: "As if that means anything. The only thing they really care about your money".

In my limited tourist zone experience this would seem an accurate assessment, so....

please enlighten us with your experience of Thai people away from the tourist areas. What interest do they have in foreigners apart from their money? How would they treat broke foreigners?....and in particular, broke, elderly male foreigners?

The thing is TROPO is if you came to the UK and just visited say Soho and the clubs ,all the people there would be interested in is getting your money ,they have no interest in knowing you ,its just buisness. the same goes here in Thailand why should anyone in beach road ,soi 6/7 or walking street care about you ,your a punter and its your money they are after,but once you leave those areas and settle in a 'normal" enviroment ,why should they care about how much you have ? my neighbours i shouldnt think care a toss ,,we are either friends or do not know each other ,they want nothing from us ,to be honest i wouldnt mind betting quite a few of them have far more than me ,one i know has a chain of shops in Pattaya that i bet a few of you have used.,so he has no interest in getting anything from me.he certainly has a far larger house than me.

as for broke elderly foreigners ,i do not know if our neighbours would come across many ,but i know when my wife goes away for a few days on buisness ,one neigbour always brings some food ,she told the wife she was worried i was not getting a hot mealsmile.png

Edited by i claudius

The thing is TROPO is if you came to the UK and just visited say Soho and the clubs ,all the people there would be interested in is getting your money ,they have no interest in knowing you ,its just buisness. the same goes here in Thailand why should anyone in beach road ,soi 6/7 or walking street care about you ,your a punter and its your money they are after,but once you leave those areas and settle in a 'normal" enviroment ,why should they care about how much you have ? my neighbours i shouldnt think care a toss ,,we are either friends or do not know each other ,they want nothing from us ,to be honest i wouldnt mind betting quite a few of them have far more than me ,one i know has a chain of shops in Pattaya that i bet a few of you have used.,so he has no interest in getting anything from me.he certainly has a far larger house than me.

as for broke elderly foreigners ,i do not know if our neighbours would come across many ,but i know when my wife goes away for a few days on buisness ,one neigbour always brings some food ,she told the wife she was worried i was not getting a hot mealsmile.png

Well, you did post this in the Pattaya forum, so we have to speak from the Pattaya experience.

Let's get real here. How many Thai women married expats for their good looks or personality? Most foreigners living normal lives in the normal parts of Thailand (wherever that is) started off in the abnormal parts of the country.

As for living in rural (normal) areas - I'm sure every Thai gossips about what their neighbors have (or don't have).

Well, you did post this in the Pattaya forum, so we have to speak from the Pattaya experience.

Let's get real here. How many Thai women married expats for their good looks or personality? Most foreigners living normal lives in the normal parts of Thailand (wherever that is) started off in the abnormal parts of the country.

As for living in rural (normal) areas - I'm sure every Thai gossips about what their neighbors have (or don't have).

Especially with an age gap. It's astonishing how many of the older farangs seem to go from Phuket, Koh samuii, pattaya straight to inner issarn and know very little about the rest of Thailand.

All within the space of a year of so.

Especially with an age gap. It's astonishing how many of the older farangs seem to go from Phuket, Koh samuii, pattaya straight to inner issarn and know very little about the rest of Thailand.

All within the space of a year of so.

I find it astonishing that they go there at all. With all the conveniences of a place like Pattaya why would you want to live anywhere else?biggrin.png

(warning! - this may get the Pattaya bashers started)

• Like 2