Thai Democrats resolve to boycott February 2 election

webfact

Thaksin was convicted without a trial or defense from a government destined to find fault. What was the crime? His wife bought an auctioned property. Did he threaten others not to bid? No exact detail anywhere.

Evading taxes did not exist because there was no tax on capital gains at that time. The tax evasion accusation is just that with no legal ramifications. Also at the time, it was legal for foreign investors to hold 49% of a Thai company. This was passed during his regime but proposed earlier in 2001. Many accusations that this was wrong must not be confused with the legality.

Again, anyone have anything?

Without a trial? Do you seriously believe that?

Prior to January 2006, foreign ownership of telecommunications companies in Thailand was limited to 25%. Thaksin changed that to 49% so that he could sell his company to the Singaporeans.

If that isn't conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier on in the Bluesky tv, they broadcasted a guy addressing an issue which probably keep many farang in questioning how come they rejected election when they self-claimed support democracy.

Did they knew that farangs in TV are fighting over each other?

That why the man addressing the issue in english speaking.biggrin.png

He has explained clearly in their position. They actually support election and TRUE democracy overall (more details is in his speech).

I hope they do have uploaded in the youtube. I could post in TV to share with others.

Abhisit and the moderates lose out to the insanity that is Suthep and his backers.

As the political crisis continues to escalate its becoming obvious that Suthep will not stop until there is blood on the streets of Bangkok. There is no way the government is going to give him what he wants, the only way he can get anything like his desired unelected council is if the military conducts another coup. And the only way a coup will happen is to defuse violence street clashes that lead to bloodshed, which would give them a mandate to intervene on behalf of the Thai people.

That being said however this will be the end of the democrats as a threat to the PTP in anything resembling a "one man, one vote" election. They are plunging the country into turmoil just to spite Thaksin and his supporters.

I am no bigger fan of Thaksin than I am of Suthep and as far as I'm concerned they should find a nice quiet place in the desert outside Dubai to have it out, instead of it playing out across the streets of this country and costing the lives of innocent Thai's.

I have to concur that I fail to understand what is really going on however in such a culturally corrupted country is is neigh on impossible to expect to make omelets without breaking eggs. Throughout this recent spate of protests even you would have to admit that there has been a very high degree of restraint and Suthep and a large ground swell of the country are simply sick to the back teeth with the PTP, Shiniwatra's and bleeding Isan.

It is most foreseeable that the Dems will want to delay and forthcoming election until some reforms are in place so that we do not end up with simply more of the same As quoted by A.E. Insanity is doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result.

AT LEAST AT THIS POINT IN TIME SUTHEP APPEARS TO WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Maybe it's time to dissolve this joke of a Democrat party.

They haven't won elections in 23 years and they won't win one anytime soon if they keep up this childish behavior.

Thailand has woken up. The times of a minority ruling a majority are over.

Let's not forget that only a few years ago, Abhisit and his Democrats were brought to power through a military coup.

Why did they not push through with the reforms then? Why did they NOT do it while in power for YEARS?

Which "military coup" brought the Democrats to power??

Abhisit came to power in the same way as Somchai did before him.

That would be the military coup in 2006 and the 2 Judicial coups afterwards.

"What planet have you been on? Haven't you read anything about Thailand politics in the last 10 years?"

Edited by fab4

So sorry for Abhisit and Korn, I would like to see someone with modern ideas and with skill for reform Thai politics, but IMHO they should not side with that fanatic S.

I hope reason will prevail and reforms will be done (not from PTP, because they will never do), but I feel like a chance have been lost already when Abhisit was PM... Now will be so hard, too hard,

Maybe it's time to dissolve this joke of a Democrat party.

They haven't won elections in 23 years and they won't win one anytime soon if they keep up this childish behavior.

Thailand has woken up. The times of a minority ruling a majority are over.

Let's not forget that only a few years ago, Abhisit and his Democrats were brought to power through a military coup.

Why did they not push through with the reforms then? Why did they NOT do it while in power for YEARS?

Which "military coup" brought the Democrats to power??

Abhisit came to power in the same way as Somchai did before him.

That would be the military coup in 2006 and the 2 Judicial coups afterwards.

"What planet have you been on? Haven't you read anything about Thailand politics in the last 10 years?"

The military coup in 2006 didn't bring the Democrats to power, so which military coup did?

• Like 2

Suthep has played his hand.

The Dems don't want an election because they know they can't win it.

Therefore he wants chaos.

The people pulling his strings are willing to risk all (read my earlier posts) because the prize is so big.

A totalitarian state run paying lip service to monarchy, the establishment back in control.

Big business won't care, tourists don't care as long as there is some signs of stability.

But of course there are the people, who won't stand for this.

So we need to have a revolution and sort out these elites once and for all.

As I stated earlier, we are witnessing the death rattle of the establishment, who won't go down without a fight but it's too late, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The military needs to be careful, the USA won't accept any more coups which put these bastards back into power.

So just as the establishment yielded power to the people in most western democracies, so they will yield here too.

No, if there's a death rattle, it's the death rattle of a corrupt government that wants so much to continue stealing. The smart thing for them to do was to compromise and to work together with the opposition and impliment some reforms. Now, look at what has happened. It's going to be 2006 all over again. You think the USA cares if there's a coup. They'll do their usual doublespeak about supporting democracy blah blah blah then it's business as usual. 2006 is the perfect example. Any sanctions by the Americans or anyone else for that better?

Ah, Gerry, there you are.

before Thaksin there was no credible opposition.

The pigs spent 12 months a year at the trough and thought it could never change.

the bonanza of natural resources plus the booming tourism economy was all theirs, and rightfully theirs from family rights and blood ties to the ancient establishment.

this upstart, Thaksin, not even from Bangkok came along and played the game to his advantage, and ever since they've been crying foul.

Thaksin was smart, he unleased the power of the people.

The yellows are just Bangkok public servants and are all brainwashed, hence the significance of their yellow colour. Forelock tuggers every one.

They are absolutely snookered.

They know they can't win an election.

So the only choice left is to bring on another coup.

yes the USA does care, or didn't you listen to the US ambassadore's comments?

These greedy corrupt families who control the Democrats and have controlled Thailand for the past 200 years are just about to have it all taken away from them.

Of course, they'll fight to the death, and they have no concience about what damage they cause.

But, you can't stop the tide, and the tide has turned.

Watch and learn.

Maybe you should wait and see before once again trying to enforce your opinion. Your opinion is exactly that, your opinion and nothing else. Furthermore your assertion that all the opposition are yellow shirts is totally crass and indicates you probably do not live in Isaan. Remember "Thaksin thinks PTP does" so why should any opposition legitimise a 'government' controlled by a convicted criminal? It beats me.

• Like 1

iirc in the very recent past Belgium went along quite happily for over a year with no government. Thailand could easily do the same and sort out the constitution in the meantime. No need to be continuously passing new laws - the old ones are just fine wink.png

you are right, Belgium was more than a year with only a caretaker government and not much harm was done to the economy because the institutions of the country continued to work as normal... unlike in many "young democracies" the Belgian institutions serve the interest of the nation and not the interest of a small group of people ..red shirt or yellow shirt .....even if those are elected people (think of the Marcos democracy in Manila).

Abhisit and the moderates lose out to the insanity that is Suthep and his backers.

As the political crisis continues to escalate its becoming obvious that Suthep will not stop until there is blood on the streets of Bangkok. There is no way the government is going to give him what he wants, the only way he can get anything like his desired unelected council is if the military conducts another coup. And the only way a coup will happen is to defuse violence street clashes that lead to bloodshed, which would give them a mandate to intervene on behalf of the Thai people.

That being said however this will be the end of the democrats as a threat to the PTP in anything resembling a "one man, one vote" election. They are plunging the country into turmoil just to spite Thaksin and his supporters.

I am no bigger fan of Thaksin than I am of Suthep and as far as I'm concerned they should find a nice quiet place in the desert outside Dubai to have it out, instead of it playing out across the streets of this country and costing the lives of innocent Thai's.

Kind of like saying Yingluck will not go for reform until there is blood on the streets.

"I am no bigger fan of Thaksin than I am of Suthep and as far as I'm concerned they should find a nice quiet place in the desert outside Dubai to have it out, instead of it playing out across the streets of this country and costing the lives of innocent Thai's."

That is the problem Thaksin won't come to Thailand to fight his own battle. The battle is about governing Thailand. Why do you think it can be fought and won or lost on a sand dune? Thaksin has an armed army in the red shirts and mercenaries in the government house and the cabinet. Suthep would gladly stand face to face with him and discus reform in Thailand but that is not what Thaksin wants. He won't be happy until he has Thailand down with Somalia and North Korea in the corruption field.

I live here by choice and it saddens me to see a country torn apart because of one man. Then when a man comes forth to face him he gets condemned. Right or wrong he is trying to help Thailand. We know Thaksin isn't.

When some thing isn't working it should be fixed why do people insist on continually saying leave it alone. If they had a brand new rolls and it had a flat tire would they walk away from it and say leave it be I can't own property here or vote so those of you who can just let it alone.?

It all gets so incredibly boring. Why do you people keep blaming Taksin for all of Thailand's woes. Move on people. Can you not remember what it was like before he was voted into office? Was the same same. You think a change of government and all will be rosy? Dream on. Will be same same. Won't happen anyway as the opposition has taken their bat and ball and gone home. They are bloody hopeless. Get some popular policies and promote those to the people and maybe they might just vote for you at the next election. It's not rocket science. This is how most democracy's work. <deleted>

• Like 2

It all gets so incredibly boring. Why do you people keep blaming Taksin for all of Thailand's woes. Move on people. Can you not remember what it was like before he was voted into office? Was the same same. You think a change of government and all will be rosy? Dream on. Will be same same. Won't happen anyway as the opposition has taken their bat and ball and gone home. They are bloody hopeless. Get some popular policies and promote those to the people and maybe they might just vote for you at the next election. It's not rocket science. This is how most democracy's work. <deleted>

Popular policies don't work. A blind poll around the last election showed that Democrat policies were more popular, but people still voted Peau Thai.

People don't vote for policies.

• Like 1

iirc in the very recent past Belgium went along quite happily for over a year with no government. Thailand could easily do the same and sort out the constitution in the meantime. No need to be continuously passing new laws - the old ones are just fine wink.png

you are right, Belgium was more than a year with only a caretaker government and not much harm was done to the economy because the institutions of the country continued to work as normal... unlike in many "young democracies" the Belgian institutions serve the interest of the nation and not the interest of a small group of people ..red shirt or yellow shirt .....even if those are elected people (think of the Marcos democracy in Manila).

....which tells a nice positive story about a democracy with a King - or whatever you like to call it - surviving a seriously disfunctional voting system. What did they do to fix their situation?

Thailand also really needs to look outwards for examples of how to cope with their under-educated voters. Emotive voters will never maintain a stable democracy.

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

Popular policies don't work. A blind poll around the last election showed that Democrat policies were more popular, but people still voted Peau Thai.

So a "blind poll" is the solution? Good grief.

So a "blind poll" is the solution? Good grief.

No. It just points out that the Democrats getting "some popular policies" won't get them elected.

I think its right decision while a criminal from abroad controls all here. If Taksin left then all would be fine. Elections could be held and provided the government did not try to ride rough shod over everything and ignore courts then it would be accepted by vast majority of people. What many wont accept is a party and government controlled for benefit and sole purpose of one megalomaniac.

Until Taksin goes or manages to turn Thailand into his own one party police state this will just continue and probably army will have to take over.

All Taksin and his clan have to do to stop Suphet is say for sake of country they are stepping down but of course they don't do anything for anyone as long as they get their power and total control.

Why should Democrats give any form of legitimacy to Taksin's government when their sole stated purpose is for one man.

This is not going to end even if election is held. That I can guarantee 100%.

• Like 1

Now there is the opportunity of a lifetime for a new political party with new faces and new ideas!!!

Many Thais are fed up with the established parties and same old faces - I am sure if a few good people get together and come up with a radical platform for change - for all Thais and the good of the country at heart they would do very well!

My extended Thai family and friends all tell me if there would be any other choice / new party with new faces (and they mean new faces not relatives and corrupt friends of the establishment) and ideas - they would have their vote they would neither vote Democrat or PT - is there nobody out there?

The Thai people are waiting!!!

The people pulling his strings are willing to risk all (read my earlier posts) because the prize is so big.

A totalitarian state run paying lip service to monarchy, the establishment back in control.

Big business won't care, tourists don't care as long as there is some signs of stability.

As I stated earlier, we are witnessing the death rattle of the establishment, who won't go down without a fight but it's too late, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The military needs to be careful, the USA won't accept any more coups which put these bastards back into power.

So just as the establishment yielded power to the people in most western democracies, so they will yield here too.

No, if there's a death rattle, it's the death rattle of a corrupt government that wants so much to continue stealing. The smart thing for them to do was to compromise and to work together with the opposition and impliment some reforms. Now, look at what has happened. It's going to be 2006 all over again. You think the USA cares if there's a coup. They'll do their usual doublespeak about supporting democracy blah blah blah then it's business as usual. 2006 is the perfect example. Any sanctions by the Americans or anyone else for that better?

The pigs spent 12 months a year at the trough and thought it could never change.

the bonanza of natural resources plus the booming tourism economy was all theirs, and rightfully theirs from family rights and blood ties to the ancient establishment.

this upstart, Thaksin, not even from Bangkok came along and played the game to his advantage, and ever since they've been crying foul.

The yellows are just Bangkok public servants and are all brainwashed, hence the significance of their yellow colour. Forelock tuggers every one.

These greedy corrupt families who control the Democrats and have controlled Thailand for the past 200 years are just about to have it all taken away from them.

Of course, they'll fight to the death, and they have no concience about what damage they cause.

Watch and learn.

Ooooh 'they' the mysterious amart, the Bangkok elite that somehow mystically syphon money from Thailand without actually being i power. A mysterious set of unnamed people that are the cause of all Isaan ills.

Do you know who these people are?

I have an office on Silom, have been there since 2001. We get a taste of all colors of protests there. There really is no big difference between the people on the pro and anti govt crowds.

Your anti amart rhetoric is nothing more than regurgitating hate speech. Hate speech that is designed to have people hate the other side so

Much that they will overlook many sins that their own side are guilty of.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

yeah...ahm...pedro actually there are some very good pieces of journalism out there...only they are not available in Thailand or at least difficult (and not without risk) to get and to possess.

But of course, it is people like you, who are Thai'er than Thai, who swallow all the c-r-a-p that gets fed to all Thailand for decades.

Yes- there are very rich and very connected people...VERY connected, who have a great interest in what is going on right now.

The pawns are being lined up now and this special chess- game will begin, when a normal chess game would end.

Don't worry- you will maybe never "see" the amart...but they are there.

And they are not very mysterious: they just hide very well and protect themselves with laws, that make them untouchable.

Yes the amart they bad oh so bad wheeze, give it a rest.

Edited by longway

If you are going to lose the election, why would you go through with it?!

biggrin.png

Go Team Yellow

Fight Team Yellow

Win Team Yellow ... oops, ur, but not in an election

All they had to to once they got the amnesty blocked was to ask Yingluck to apologise and promise she will never allow her bother to receive an amnesty and sit back and watch the PT squirm.

They have played this so badly its painful.

• Like 2

Kind of like saying Yingluck will not go for reform until there is blood on the streets.

"I am no bigger fan of Thaksin than I am of Suthep and as far as I'm concerned they should find a nice quiet place in the desert outside Dubai to have it out, instead of it playing out across the streets of this country and costing the lives of innocent Thai's."

That is the problem Thaksin won't come to Thailand to fight his own battle. The battle is about governing Thailand. Why do you think it can be fought and won or lost on a sand dune? Thaksin has an armed army in the red shirts and mercenaries in the government house and the cabinet. Suthep would gladly stand face to face with him and discus reform in Thailand but that is not what Thaksin wants. He won't be happy until he has Thailand down with Somalia and North Korea in the corruption field.

I live here by choice and it saddens me to see a country torn apart because of one man. Then when a man comes forth to face him he gets condemned. Right or wrong he is trying to help Thailand. We know Thaksin isn't.

When some thing isn't working it should be fixed why do people insist on continually saying leave it alone. If they had a brand new rolls and it had a flat tire would they walk away from it and say leave it be I can't own property here or vote so those of you who can just let it alone.?

For the same reason you keep reading it.clap2.gifpassifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

Watch and learn.

Maybe you should wait and see before once again trying to enforce your opinion. Your opinion is exactly that, your opinion and nothing else. Furthermore your assertion that all the opposition are yellow shirts is totally crass and indicates you probably do not live in Isaan. Remember "Thaksin thinks PTP does" so why should any opposition legitimise a 'government' controlled by a convicted criminal? It beats me.

The yellow shirts were manipulated by the same people who are now running Suthep.

They don't care what they have to destroy to regain control.

That's why they won't go to the people in an election.

Your horse is dead, stop flogging it.

• Like 1

The yellow shirts were manipulated by the same people who are now running Suthep.

They don't care what they have to destroy to regain control.

That's why they won't go to the people in an election.

Your horse is dead, stop flogging it.

Yes once again, it's the faceless and nameless 'ammarts' that are running the show behind the scenes, manipulating events trying to regain control blah blah blah.

Who's the one flogging a dead horse?

• Like 2

Now there is the opportunity of a lifetime for a new political party with new faces and new ideas!!!

Many Thais are fed up with the established parties and same old faces - I am sure if a few good people get together and come up with a radical platform for change - for all Thais and the good of the country at heart they would do very well!

My extended Thai family and friends all tell me if there would be any other choice / new party with new faces (and they mean new faces not relatives and corrupt friends of the establishment) and ideas - they would have their vote they would neither vote Democrat or PT - is there nobody out there?

The Thai people are waiting!!!

They can wait all they want. They are the ones that have to do it.

All we can do here is post are opinions.

They are the ones who need to set up a new party with new faces. To do it they will require a dynamic leader. So far all we have is a Barby Doll mouth piece and a dynamic leader who is carrying to much baggage.

Push comes to pull at the moment the best person for the job is Abhist. Not a popular idea among the misinformed. But look at his record and the odds he had to work against. Just the fact that Thailand was sky rocketing with corruption and he managed to stop the climb and hold it speaks lots for him. People should consider what he had to work with to get any thing done.

He couldn't just call Dubai and say what do you need next and who shall I give the money to to get it. Maybe there is a better man out there but remaining in hiding is not going to help him or Thailand.

I am sure all the Thai's you spoke to about it know this.

The general hate rally cry against Thaksin reminds me of another in history - Hitler and his rally for the country to hate the Jews. Point to a scapegoat for all the country's problems and create a mob. Hate is the heart of a mob's mentality. Truly sad.

I still can't find any solid evidence of what Thaksin did wrong. Can anyone tell me?

I would commend you to invest in an education. The first step for you would be to learn how to search on the internet.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

"...He was convicted by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions of abusing his power to help his wife buy public land at an auction, and was sentenced to two years in jail. Various criminal charges await him if he returns to Thailand..."[/size]

He also evaded tax by fraudulent share transactions for the sale of Shincorp to another bunch of politicians in Singapore.[/size]

Thaksin was convicted without a trial or defense from a government destined to find fault. What was the crime? His wife bought an auctioned property. Did he threaten others not to bid? No exact detail anywhere.

Evading taxes did not exist because there was no tax on capital gains at that time. The tax evasion accusation is just that with no legal ramifications. Also at the time, it was legal for foreign investors to hold 49% of a Thai company. This was passed during his regime but proposed earlier in 2001. Many accusations that this was wrong must not be confused with the legality.

Again, anyone have anything?

You need to invest in your human capital. Start by completing your elementary education.

Thaksin's wife's purchase of public land was a crime and would be considered a crime in any civilized society.

In regard to share sale, the tax avoidance offence was selling it off market which attracts a tax which he avoided. Selling on the market does not create a tax obligation. Thaksin sold it to his children and a shonky tax haven company owned by Thaksin was involved.

All of Thaksin's crimes have not yet been exposed including the many instances of huge corruption at Suvarnabumi Airport during its construction. Thaksin's friends and family walked away with a lot of money from that.

none of the above is true