Help me get a waterfall unit for my fishpond please.

Beet

A small garden fish pond of mine needs flowing water.

Algae has really started to take over the last few weeks. I got some of the cheap fish tank pumps to create bubbles but these are useless in a pond. I need to create movement. On idea is a waterfall off the rock island. The best solution would be to split it so there is waterfall going to right side and one to the left.

There is an electrical socket, but I rather a battery powered unit as the outside electrical circuit can be a bit odd, and also runs a loud water pump when turned on.

So I want to get some sort of waterfall unit, preferably one that can be split, and will have to lift the water perhaps 2 1/2 feet to get over the top of the rock island.

I'd also like to spend less than 1000b on it.

I have absolutely no experience with regards to doing anything like it.

Any ideas out there?

This is the pond as it is now. Taking water from the tap isn't good as the overflow outlet leaks down and floods a flowerbed.

xobh.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a gardening subforum so I added it here.

Have you thought about stocking fish that will eat the algae?

Have you thought about shading the "pond", to cut down on the algae?

You were right to come here first Beet. Garden ornaments are what keep farmers up at night.

Regards.

Thanks. Shading isn't really a viable option.

And I don't know anything about algae.

What sort of fish could I stock to eat the algae. At the moment I've a few slender gold fish and about 1000 little black ones (after putting 4 of them in about 5 months ago)

Some fatter goldfish ones dies recently due to either the cold, or perhaps whatever ph level change due to the algae or whatever (I'm really clueless about it).

Are there cheap fish I can buy that will eat all the algae off the plants etc? That would be great.

Edited by Beet

2 skinny women and a thousand kids? In a slum? Sounds like they committed suicide.

Forget about putting something in there to eat the algae.....put something in there to eat the kids!

Once a week, manually, take the excess algae out. Takes about 5 minutes. No filter? Drain out half the water, with as much faeces as you can and top it up. another 5 minutes. (just drag the suction hose along the bottom) Dispose of the water onto the nearest plants. Now you're into aquaponics. Welcome to farming. smile.png

Regards.

water+Nutrients + sunlight=algae,, aside of it's appearance problem, Algae consumes the dissolved oxygen in the water, not good for your fish

when the water in your pond evaporates it leaves all it's nutrients behind, when you replace the water, you introduce more nutrients. after a while of doing that, the water becomes nutrient rich, at the same time you have plants discomposing, and fish defecating,

The combination of all these will result in an algae bloom.

a good counter measure is to change one third of the water periodically, before you replace the water scrub off as much of the algae as possible.

You can siphon the water our, or you can use a small electric pump, direct the intake hose like a vacuum to remove all loose algae and detritus,

Building an waterfall will help aerate your water and resolve some of the dissolved oxygen problem but it will nor resolve your nutrient problem, and will increase water evaporation.

If you want to create a water fall, you will need to do it in conjunction to a filtration system, otherwise you will accomplish nothing other than aerating the water which you can do more cheaply with an aquarium air pump and bumbler stone,

Do not go for a battery operated pump,, you will for sure get tired of changing the batteries and any upfront savings you realize, will be consumed by Your battery costs.

Lot's of information on fish ponds on the internet, a little research on your part will go a long way towards mitigating your algae problem.

Edited by sirineou

Search on ebay for solar power water pumps....I got mine from HK seller for less than $25. Works great to create waterfall for the pond...saves on electricity bill too coz it runs on solar.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One day i got frogfish in my pond, they ate all the algae and it was totally clean. I had thousands of frogfish though and they all disappeared naturally.

Shade will sure help against algae, some plant in a pot or in the soil, a plumeria maybe?

For the waterfall you can just buy a baby-pump. I also use that and use a filter with that to keep it running.