BBC's Jonathan Head Harassed While Reporting

Lancelot

I (a very tall and hard to miss farang) was with my Thai wife observing amongst the protest crowd at Asoke for a while this afternoon, and didn't have a bad word or any ill behavior directed at me or us.

Instead, just the opposite, a middle-aged Thai husband and wife walking near us stopped to politely ask my wife if her husband knew what was going on with Thai politics right now. And she truthfully replied that I was much better-informed on such things that she is/was.

Good report John. I am not taking sides in this political dispute- I'm just wondering if it will affect me personally, here in Thailand.

It seems this loud chanting was just a fluke, the protesters using an opportunity to get their message out.

Have just finished watching news broadcast by Al Jazeera. Was some footage from the BKK protests - in the near background was a protester with a large placard which had the following message:

Biased

Blatant

Corrupt

Was a pretty direct dig at the BBC, and indicates some ill feeling amongst the protester towards BBC. Not sure if this supports original OP, but certainly indicates that some protesters have issues specifically with BBC.

Have just finished watching news broadcast by Al Jazeera. Was some footage from the BKK protests - in the near background was a protester with a large placard which had the following message:

Biased

Blatant

Corrupt

Was a pretty direct dig at the BBC, and indicates some ill feeling amongst the protester towards BBC. Not sure if this supports original OP, but certainly indicates that some protesters have issues specifically with BBC.

Next they'll be accusing the BBC of ramping houses prices and Buy To Let . . . oh no wait.

I reckon Jimmy Savile masks, wigs and fake cigars would do a roaring trade in Bangers right now. (Sorry, in poor taste).

Watched it on BBC news and the impression my wife(Thai) and I got was she was calling for the Govt to 'get out'. Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I watched it and I thought they were chanting to get out, get out to indicate Yingluck get out.

Of course they are, it's an anti government protest. They want the Government to 'get out' - not some reporter who they've never seen nor heard of before.

This thread is merely a diversion from the real issue.

Try reading before you go all ATS

Biased

Blatant

Corrupt

Yes, they don't like the fact that the BBC is impartial and reports both sides!

The Western media does not understand that the protesters just want to give back power to the people because normally the people is synonymous with the democratic majority and not a small minority.

Very correct. Western media's either utterly clueless or in on it.

I find it strange that so many Westerners are so involved with Thai politics and paranoid in that they think their lives could change as the Thais might kick them out. Why on earth would they kick them out? I was speaking to my buddy who lives nearby and is a Burmese roti seller who has been here the same length of time as I. I wonder who is more valuable to this country - him or I. I confess I can't make a roti as good as he. The only time I felt threatened was when Taksin S started his crusade against everyone, including foreigners and putting the prices up for many things like VIsas - 500baht to 1900 abht, Permananent residency up to 190,000 from 9,000 baht etc.

It's not strange. If you've read any history you will find things can change very quickly.Take for example, the former Libyan dictator Gaddafi. He was in power for around 40 years and ruled one of the most stable countries in Africa. There was no warning and no political analyst anywhere suspected he was to be overthrown and lynched within the space of a few months by his own countrymen.

The fact is when it comes to nationalist politicians, in their eyes, neither you nor the Burmese have any "value" as you wrongly put it and they often don't even believe their own citizens have value either and seek to deny them rights.

However it is strange how you think of dividing people into people those with value (whatever that is) and those without value - and disturbing.

The Western media does not understand that the protesters just want to give back power to the people because normally the people is synonymous with the democratic majority and not a small minority.

Because the west actually doesn't give a toss about Thailand.In my country they showed a 2 min report on the tv news when the protests started and that was it .
  • Like 1

Because the west actually doesn't give a toss about Thailand.In my country they showed a 2 min report on the tv news when the protests started and that was it .

You're right, although it's been headline news quite often on the BBC website.

Poor old Thailand's ironically got no face in [many] other countries. Any mention of Thailand in the UK automatically generates the stereotypical response of . . . well you probably know or can imagine. No need to go into details.

It was telling when the popular British TV series 'Little Britain' was openly racist about a particular Thai stereotype and nothing was actually said, it was just accepted. If they'd done the same about any other nationalities they'd have been censored by whatever broadcasting commission does that in the UK now.

Edited by MJP

some might remember, that in 2010 journalists were shot dead by the army...

Do you know who authorized that crackdown by the Army, that left downtown Bangkok in flames, and scores of Red shirts dead, the Deputy Prime Minister of the non-elected government in office in 2010. None other than Suthep Thaugsuban!! Then his job was to crush public demonstration, now he switch hats and now leads public demonstration

In the Bangkok Post today!.

Media outlets cut coverage, citing abuse from PDRC! states that at least two news media reporter were assaulted Because PDRC claims she distorted rally figures.

The The Southeast Asian Press alliance (SEAPA) voiced concerns over the escalation of violence against media workers, It seem like those who defended the protesters that the "get outs" were aim at the government, do not have a clue got it all wrong Again.

Cheers

I saw a protest in victory monument the other day, and walking along with the old women were two tall English-looking farangs, whistling, chanting and pumping their fists. It made me embarrassed to be from the same continent as them. I don't know anything about these protests or care that much - its less than 100k in a city of 8 million - but foreigners joining in is bizzare.

Edited by celso

Having watched the blatant pro Government propaganda broadcast by the BBC, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually there is some form of more direct action towards their reporters. I am not in favour of either side, but Jonathan Heads report from up country last week was cringe making and so biased, made me ashemaed to be British.

• Like 1

Having watched the blatant pro Government propaganda broadcast by the BBC, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually there is some form of more direct action towards their reporters. I am not in favour of either side, but Jonathan Heads report from up country last week was cringe making and so biased, made me ashemaed to be British.

Today the BBC reported 10 minutes ago that the Baht was at an all time low. Of course nonsense not even close to where it was 10 years years ago. Today 32 baht 10 years ago 40 baht.

When they say 'get out, get out' you realise they're talking about the Government right ? Not the journalist....

When you take into consideration Sutheps regard toward Westerners and the Thai Patriots Network/ Dharma Army I think not.

Fast forward to Sutheps NEW WORLD ORDER... More intensity and an increase in misplaced nationalism, 'Thai for Thais', 'It is the Farang's fault', .... you can imagine the crowd following on his every word.... So .. immigration personnel become more difficult, laws are passed restricting ALIEN choices, Chinese and Japanese business interests flourish at the expense of European.

I know it sounds far fetched but given that the Thais generally are not too good at accepting fault and seek to save face by shifting blame, all you would need is an 'incident' and with the madman Suthep at the helm life for expats here could become much more difficult. I could be wrong, maybe someone can check up for me but wasn't it Thaksin who changed the banking system to allow us to get bank loans for things like cars??

Just a thought. I for one will be watching this guy VERY VERY closely.

"journalists" want problems and then cry when they get shot...

This has to be the stupidest comment I have ever read... are you trolling? It is the job of the journalist to be a witness to the world, to report what is happening. Try thinking about The Washington Post and Nixon, or James Nachtwey's photos in Rawanda. It was because of the press that the Vietnam war was brought to an end. The level of censorship in Thailand both overt and covert is disgusting so I say ...com'on reporters do your work.

• 4 months later...

I admit I haven't read all the posts in this thread, and if this has been addressed then just ignore.

I was under the impression that part of the stipulations of the army takeover (coup) was to disperse the crowds on both sides of the line and try to get Bkk back to normality? I realize it started as containment, but were they not told to go home?

No groups of five or more allowed? IMHO, if this isn't the case, splitting the mobs, then the longer they leave it the more dangerous the situation becomes. The more concessions they give at the beginning, the harder it will be to enforce the rules later on.

Just sayin'