BBC's Jonathan Head Harassed While Reporting

Lancelot

A few minutes ago I watched BBC's Jonathan Head reporting on the anti-government protests live at down town Bangkok. Protesters gathered around him, started blowing whistles, then began chanting "Get Out, Get Out!" first in Thai, then in English.

Could be a fluke, but I have never seen Thai protesters harass western journalists during live reporting.

Not good...

I wouldn't read too much political significance into it at this point. Those demonstrations are to a large extent self-policed. Lawless behaviour can erupt at any time. The people get very excited and illogical nationalism is never far below the surface. It would only take a handful of protestors to start doing it or start some insane rumour and the rest would follow, whistles and all.

Reporters have been targeted and killed covering this kind of overthrow the government demonstration in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, etc.

Are you sure they were shouting "Ork Pai/Get out" at Head and not Yingluck (for the benefit of the camera)?

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

I wouldn't read too much political significance into it at this point. Those demonstrations are to a large extent self-policed. Lawless behaviour can erupt at any time. The people get very excited and illogical nationalism is never far below the surface. It would only take a handful of protestors to start doing it or start some insane rumour and the rest would follow, whistles and all.

Reporters have been targeted and killed covering this kind of overthrow the government demonstration in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, etc.

Are you sure they were shouting "Ork Pai/Get out" at Head and not Yingluck (for the benefit of the camera)?

Fair enough, they could have been chanting for the current government to get out. It started quickly and to the extent that Mr. Head turned around several times, as if to check the proximity of the protesters and he appeared nervous.

Probably unintentional but it didn't look good on behalf of the protestors. Just sayin...

Watched the clip again and yeah, the get out chant was probably directed against the current government.

Man, they were making those whistles sing :)

Tried to find the clip on the BBC website, but its probably not been uploaded yet.

Watched it on BBC news and the impression my wife(Thai) and I got was she was calling for the Govt to 'get out'. Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I watched it and I thought they were chanting to get out, get out to indicate Yingluck get out.

• Like 2

Watched it on BBC news and the impression my wife(Thai) and I got was she was calling for the Govt to 'get out'. Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I watched it and I thought they were chanting to get out, get out to indicate Yingluck get out.

Of course they are, it's an anti government protest. They want the Government to 'get out' - not some reporter who they've never seen nor heard of before.

This thread is merely a diversion from the real issue.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

I (a very tall and hard to miss farang) was with my Thai wife observing amongst the protest crowd at Asoke for a while this afternoon, and didn't have a bad word or any ill behavior directed at me or us.

Instead, just the opposite, a middle-aged Thai husband and wife walking near us stopped to politely ask my wife if her husband knew what was going on with Thai politics right now. And she truthfully replied that I was much better-informed on such things that she is/was.

I was at Asoke too and only experienced warmth and friendliness from the Thais.

I did read on Twitter, however that a woman at Silom started chanting "Shinawatres out, foreigners out. Thailand is for Thais.". Hopefully an isolated case.

The owners of Terminal 21 ought to encourage that kind of demonstration every weekend. tongue.png

When we went inside for an afternoon snack, we quickly discovered that the mall was filled with Thai folks wearing all varieties of the protester attire -- whistles, neck chains made of Thai flag fabric, T-shirts about the King, etc etc.

I assume they were ducking inside for a break, a snack, to use the bathrooms, etc etc.. Maybe even some shopping. It seemed like more than half of all the people inside Terminal 21 that we passed inside had some kind of protester attire on display.

And nobody was trying to burn the mall down, unlike what happened with the Reds and CentralWorld in 2010.

• Like 1

I live pretty much within spitting distance of the Asoke junction and was woken by the chanting and whistling this afternoon after a heavy night on the lash.

Had to wait until dusk before setting out to buy dinner at Terminal 21.

The protesters were in good spirits if a little weary but I wouldn't be so sure those in Jonathan Head's report weren't telling him to get out.

http://altthainews.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/bbc-drops-propaganda-hammer-on-thailand.html

He and the BBC have been accused of considerable bias

I live pretty much within spitting distance of the Asoke junction and was woken by the chanting and whistling this afternoon after a heavy night on the lash.

Had to wait until dusk before setting out to buy dinner at Terminal 21.

The protesters were in good spirits if a little weary but I wouldn't be so sure those in Jonathan Head's report weren't telling him to get out.

http://altthainews.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/bbc-drops-propaganda-hammer-on-thailand.html

He and the BBC have been accused of considerable bias

If you responded to this thread without seeing the BBC report you would be a ________? They were not telling the man to get out. This would be clear to anyone viewing the report.

If you responded to this thread without seeing the BBC report you would be a ________? They were not telling the man to get out. This would be clear to anyone viewing the report.

No shit, Sherlock.

I did see the report and it was because I'd read the material in the link that I suggested one shouldn't be "so sure" they weren't addressing him.

Hence, if you responded to my post without checking the link, you would be a _______ to dismiss what I wrote with such flippancy.

• Like 1

I find it strange that so many Westerners are so involved with Thai politics and paranoid in that they think their lives could change as the Thais might kick them out. Why on earth would they kick them out? I was speaking to my buddy who lives nearby and is a Burmese roti seller who has been here the same length of time as I. I wonder who is more valuable to this country - him or I. I confess I can't make a roti as good as he. The only time I felt threatened was when Taksin S started his crusade against everyone, including foreigners and putting the prices up for many things like VIsas - 500baht to 1900 abht, Permananent residency up to 190,000 from 9,000 baht etc.

• Like 2

No shit, Sherlock.

I did see the report and it was because I'd read the material in the link that I suggested one shouldn't be "so sure" they weren't addressing him.

Hence, if you responded to my post without checking the link, you would be a _______ to dismiss what I wrote with such flippancy.

The link had nothing to do with today's report from the BBC. So I don't get your connection?

Seeing the BBC " get out" report left no doubt. I realize you were trying to create doubt where there is none that's why I wrote.

I don't think the link you provided changes in any way what I saw on the BBC. Did I make myself clear_____?

No shit, Sherlock.

The link had nothing to do with today's report from the BBC. So I don't get your connection?

Seeing the BBC " get out" report left no doubt. I realize you were trying to create doubt where there is none that's why I wrote.

I don't think the link you provided changes in any way what I saw on the BBC. Did I make myself clear_____?

Oh <deleted>, I really am gonna have to spell it out for you, aren't I?

The blog I linked to asserts that the BBC is biased in its reporting of the political crisis and the issues behind it - a belief widely held by many anti-government sympathisers.

The protesters in Mr. Head's report may - I repeat, MAY - be perfectly aware of who Mr. Head is if they've seen that blog or many others in the Thai blogosphere which accuse the BBC of bias.

No shit, Sherlock.

The blog I linked to asserts that the BBC is biased in its reporting of the political crisis and the issues behind it - a belief widely held by many anti-government sympathisers.

The protesters in Mr. Head's report may - I repeat, MAY - be perfectly aware of who Mr. Head is if they've seen that blog or many others in the Thai blogosphere which accuse the BBC of bias.

Thank you for spelling it out but you forgot the most important part. You were trying to suggest that the protestors were telling Mr Head to get out and they were not by any stretch of the imagination.

You wrote, "I suggested one shouldn't be "so sure" they weren't addressing him." That is nonsense. Anyone who saw the report can confirm that, that is nonsense.

No shit, Sherlock.

Thank you for spelling it out but you forgot the most important part. You were trying to suggest that the protestors were telling Mr Head to get out and they were not by any stretch of the imagination.

You wrote, "I suggested one shouldn't be "so sure" they weren't addressing him." That is nonsense. Anyone who saw the report can confirm that, that is nonsense.

Agreed total nonsense.

When they say 'get out, get out' you realise they're talking about the Government right ? Not the journalist....

When you take into consideration Sutheps regard toward Westerners and the Thai Patriots Network/ Dharma Army I think not.

Personally, I don't think Suthep hates "Westerners" per se.

Heck, Suthep went to a college in the US (albeit a pretty dismal one), and his son was educated overseas (including attendance at the 2nd best university in the world).

What happens is this: Suthep just attacks any and everyone who criticizes him, as determined by his sensitive perception.

No discrimination for our Suthep!

All critics are eviscerated, real or imaginary/perceived.

Whether they be Farangs (reporters, ambassadors, governments) or Deputy Party Leaders (Korn) or Martians (if they were to slight Suthep on their next visit).

Sun Tzu would be so proud of Suthep's ruthlessness and his leadership skills.

On a personal note, I wish Suthep would tone down his gesticulations a bit when he makes his nightly addresses ..... up till now, it makes him look unflatteringly similar to hated despots of the past.

I don't understand a lot of Thai, but he puts the jeepers creepers up me whenever I see a clip of his speeches, so I pity his enemies ...

petedk, on 22 Dec 2013 - 20:30, said:
TallGuyJohninBKK, on 22 Dec 2013 - 19:41, said:

I (a very tall and hard to miss farang) was with my Thai wife observing amongst the protest crowd at Asoke for a while this afternoon, and didn't have a bad word or any ill behavior directed at me or us.

Instead, just the opposite, a middle-aged Thai husband and wife walking near us stopped to politely ask my wife if her husband knew what was going on with Thai politics right now. And she truthfully replied that I was much better-informed on such things that she is/was.

I was at Asoke too and only experienced warmth and friendliness from the Thais.

I did read on Twitter, however that a woman at Silom started chanting "Shinawatres out, foreigners out. Thailand is for Thais.". Hopefully an isolated case.

Must have been my ex.