Drunk Van Chauffeur Kills Pedestrian

Rimmer

Drunk Van Chauffeur Kills Pedestrian

image10.jpg

Female cashier from a well-known luxury hotel in Pattaya ran across the street and was hit by a van killing her instantly. The van driver was very drunk and claimed he didn’t see her as she ran across the road.

PATTAYA – December 22, 2013 [PDN]; at 2.00 a.m. Pol. Lt. Phanuwat Jaithiangthae (Investigation police on duty of Pattaya city police station, Chonburi province) together with rescuers of Sawang Boribul Pattaya foundation went to inspect the incident where a van had collided with a pedestrian killing her instantly. The incident occurred in front of a liquor shop near a pawn shop on third road, south Pattaya, Moo 10 Tambon Nong Prue, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province.

At the incident the officers found the body of a Thai woman who was identified as Ms. Suphattra Kaewwichai or Aey, aged 28 (she was a cashier of one well known luxury hotel in Pattaya city), she was lying on the road and had sustained a broken leg and a fractured skull but was still breathing. She had been hit by a white Toyota van,

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/12/22/drunk-van-chauffeur-kills-pedestrian/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-12-22

How do they know she was running? because the van chauffeur driver said so?

''From questioning the bystanders, they said that the female victim parked her car on the side of the road and ran across the street to a liquor shop but was hit by the van which was traveling at high speed throwing her up in the air and landing about 20 feet''

Another drunken dick behind the wheel of a van (probably normally operating as a passenger service vehicle, which is worse). The road death toll here is ridiculous. Just crazy and stupid. But most of the Isaan males working in Pattaya in low-skilled jobs come across as ill-mannered and irresponsible. This is just one example of that. They function better in strictly-disciplined environments like Japanese-owned factories and the Army. They don't have the self-discipline to restrain themselves. It is in their interest when external discipline controls their lives.

• Like 2

What kind of penalty will this person received for this offence? Killing somebody by drunk driving.

In many Western countries you would receive a prison sentence plus being banned from driving for 3 to 5 years and be made to sit the driving test again

Edited by Asiantravel

What kind of penalty will this person received for this offence? Killing somebody by drunk driving.

In many Western countries you would receive a prison sentence plus being banned from driving for life

Probably not much more than a ridiculous THB 2500-3000, but he might have to pay the family of the woman a huge amount of money...........his insurance won't pay a satang.

If he can negotiate a payment, he will escape prison. If he can't or he has no funds or the police have no reason to keep him out of prison, he will do a year or two. I think that is the norm here for causing death to due dangerous driving.

I understand all that was said about the van driver. I understand that - I agree with all said - and I also understand that everyone knows this; and perhaps no one understands this more than the Thais.

This is common knowledge.

What I don't understand is the part that said this woman "ran" out into the road to cross the street.

Even sober, I have been fortunate enough to narrowly avoid hitting numerous Thais and foreigners pulling "runners" across the most unimaginable traffic conditions and without so much as a glance in either direction.

Bad on him; ...but regarding her? I just can't muster the energy to say it. First rule of safety when crossing a street, or in this case, jaywalking. But again, the Thai people know this. They know this again and again, and they simply persist in this sort of lunatic behavior. This is not an isolated case.

That part just beggars me.

Thais seem to take emergencies and crisis' on a case by case basis, and never seem to apply it to the "whole", other than when the statisticians post their results; results which are forgotten as soon as they are published.

Do you drive in this country? If so, you will know that people pathetically attempting to scurry across very busy main roads usually wearing shoes such as flip-flops or high heels that preclude anything above fast shuffle pace is one of a myriad of hazards drivers face. Add that to the fact that the driver was pie-eyed and speeding and you have a recipe for disaster.

There may well be a Thai equivalent of Tufty the Squirrel (I'm not kidding) who taught me to look both ways and then look right again before walking, not running, across the road. If there is, nobody is listening to Foo Foo the Grarork, judging by their actions as pedestrians.

Most accidents can be attributed to a number of factors unfortunately occurring at the same time.

wai2.gif

In many Western countries you would receive a prison sentence plus being banned from driving for 3 to 5 years and be made to sit the driving test again

In US this would be manslaughter charge, if convicted, 15 years easily.

In my country in EU, maybe 2-3 year sentence, out after serving 1/3.

In a perfect world the offender would be banned driving for life, and a murder charge, 10 years real jail time.

This driver killed a person, that is murder, not premeditated, not 1st degree murder, but murder nonetheless.

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1