mae sai

markcr

Just a couple of quick questions

After Chiang Rai i will be working my way up to Mae Sai,then Chiang Saen,Chiang Khong and Phayao.

It will be election weekend in Mae Sai when i am there and just reading about the alcohol ban,was wondering how strictly enforced this will be,will bars be open even if it is just for soft drinks? Will restaurants still be open or does everything just completely shut down?

Also in the places above,will i have any problems just turning up in these towns looking for guesthouses in february or am i better planning ahead?

Many thanks.

1.the tipical cheap gsthse does not even take bookings nor is online. But for the Ifone generation thats apparently too frightening. BTW-other travelboards are much more budget friendly as this one with its masses of shouting ''never for me'' expats.

2.CRai-MSai is 90 mins (80 in low traffic) by bus-ev 15/20 mins. Not exactly that long to make a few days out of it.

3.as of now it may be or may not be election on 2/2. Also note that the weekend before is also replacement and same ban applies. Varies enormously how strictly applied-also vs. farang/Thai. If you really cannot even conceive to be without alco for 24 hrs-go elsewhere or seize chance to sober up. If so smart that even TV-regulars admire you: buy the day before and stock up. Anything else is just for sale as any day-same-same like any 7 between 14-17.00.

Guesthouses will all be open for sure in all of those places.

Every town has different enforcement policies. I've never been in Mae Sai on a no-alcohol day so I can't say for sure what will be open and who will have beer for sale. If the bars can't sell beer it is very unlikely that they will stay open to sell soft drinks. Your best bet is to go to a real restaurant. They're more likely to get around the ban than a bar is, and some restaurants will stay open making money off of food sales.

Enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

If you are lucky they serve beer or other alcoholic drinks in a tea / coffee pot.

Just buy your drinks in a 'pap and mom' shop and ask them to put it in a paper bag so nobody can see what is inside.

While 7/11, restaurant and hotels follow - have to follow - the rules, 'pap and mam' stores can still sell.

At 7/11 for example the register will block selling alcoholic drinks so they can't sell you, 'pap and mam' stores use a plastic bucket as a register :-)

Edited by Cloggie