Bangkok overrun by huge protest

webfact

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""Whoever wants to go inside to register will have to pass through us," he said.

"If we do not hold the country by February 2, we will shut the country down. No one will go to vote," he added."

Did Suthep really say this? I know the APP seems to take a pro govt line in most of its stories, but they don't make stuff up. Suthep's authoritarian, PT like attitude of "my way is the only way" is getting worse. Man's barking mad and gorged on power, dangerous combination. He will be no better than PT and their red stormtroopers if he carries out these threats.

Whatever you think of Suthep, and I am by no means a fan, the insanity of the PTP being allowed to continue plundering this country unabated would have continued as no one else stepped up to the plate with as much passion (Abhisit?ermm.gif ) to stop them.

• Like 2

Bangkok Post said the security officials have estimated 270,000, and we all know being in the control of the government that the quote will be definitely played down.

So was it the big million + ??

Possibly.

Ok, one report say ten's of thousands, another report say's at least 150,000 thousand, but didn't Suthep say he would get 1.7 - 2.3 million???

and your asking "SO was it the big million+?"

and Y/L got seven protestors blowing whistle's,,, the numbers speak for themselves mate. The people of Thailand are against you.

The thing is, you're not really in Aussie in Thailand but an Aussie in Isaan.

• Like 1

Having FAILED to remove the govt by any of his moving feasts of final, absolute deadlines, he is now ThREATENING those who do wish to participate in the democratic process. What a sad and sorry excuse for someone meant to be serving the interests of the people ( corruption, insurrection and murder charges notwithstanding).

Yesterday's rally was a major flop for Suthep . It achieved nothing, so now he reverts to the previous policy of intimidation and implied violence. I wouldn't trust this guy for a second

So you think Yingluck has more credibility ...

How many promises has she completed?

Additionally, I am not a big beliver on the elections here in Thailand, it's widely known how the red buying votes...

But even the poor rice farmers also been cheated of the promised money, so the dissatisfaction is increasing even among them.

So, let's theorize, suppose there is no vote buying, which party will win the elections then?

PT... :D

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here we go again!!thumbsup.gif Another thread where posters are fighting each other about who are "the rightest of the right". Most of them sadly with limited knowledge of Thai society as a whole and even less when it comes to politics!! But good entertainment!!coffee1.gif

May I suggest a solution to the political divide:

attachicon.gifmarieantoinetteexecute-a8b7aa02f3a17f0904724853bbfc83dc2b9c738a-s6-c30.jpg

Bye bye amart!!

Be careful what you post. You may be charged with LM under 112, and sent to 5 years in jail per post.

The picture you post is the beheaded of Marie Antoinette Queen of France and of Navarre.

Edited by Spare

Why is Yingluck canvassing in Issan? She has their votes already? Or is this just PR/hiding from Bangkok?

Crosses my mind that the only way another interim government can be brought in to replace the YL government is if the military step in. Then a new government can make amendments before new elections. Maybe this is what Suthep is pushing for? Now you may or may not call this a coup!

Yingluck running to the North when things get too hot for her... hmmm, rings a bell, flashback from March 2006:

Thaksin Flees The Capital ... And Reality

In the provinces he can cling to his heroic vision of himself as indispensable to the country.

Over the past several days he has visited Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima to hear thousands of people cheering and greeting him.

On Sunday evening, as the anti-Thaksin rally moved from Sanam Luang along Rajdamnoen Road to Government House, Thaksin swiftly changed his schedule.

After meeting thousands of supporters in Khon Kaen earlier that day he decided to spend the night in the province rather than return to Bangkok, as earlier planned.

We can see what progress successive iterations of Thaksin governments have brought to the country.

Bangkok Post said the security officials have estimated 270,000, and we all know being in the control of the government that the quote will be definitely played down.

Possibly.

Ok, one report say ten's of thousands, another report say's at least 150,000 thousand, but didn't Suthep say he would get 1.7 - 2.3 million???

and Y/L got seven protestors blowing whistle's,,, the numbers speak for themselves mate. The people of Thailand are against you.

Err, no you wrong, but no surprise there, I live south of BKK so now what have you got?w00t.gif

• Like 2

Possibly.

Err, no you wrong, but no surprise there, I live south of BKK so now what have you got?w00t.gif

A clear apology.

• Like 1

Possibly.

Since when is Isaan not a part of Thailand or is that one of the proposed political reforms - get rid of all the poor provinces?

To argue corruption as a reason to bring down a government in Thailand was a joke back in 2006 and is no less a joke today with an unconvicted criminal leading the opposition - Suthep needs to take power because it is now the only thing that can keep him out of jail or exile.

Protestors are determined it seems to rip the heart out of the country destroying investment, tourism and ordinary peoples lives

• Like 2

Hmmm ...methinks the <deleted> is about to hit the fan. 20 years ago, the rural poor would have tugged their forlocks or high wai'd those in Bangkok..after all, they know their place in Thai society. But now, with social media and some understanding of what is happening around the world, I am not sure that they will bend over and quietly take it up the &!^#. How many times must they have their vote taken off them? I am no Thaksin lover..PT is corrupt to the core as is so much of Thai politics and business. I believe we are in the midst of a coup...but a quiet one.... Suthep must have some powerful backing to go on the way he is. Thailand does not have a true democracy and the way it is going probably never will be able to develop one.

As I said in another post... it is their country to stuff up as they see fit.

• Like 1

Here we go again!!thumbsup.gif Another thread where posters are fighting each other about who are "the rightest of the right". Most of them sadly with limited knowledge of Thai society as a whole and even less when it comes to politics!! But good entertainment!!coffee1.gif

May I suggest a solution to the political divide:

attachicon.gifmarieantoinetteexecute-a8b7aa02f3a17f0904724853bbfc83dc2b9c738a-s6-c30.jpg

Bye bye amart!!

With former-DPM/current-Labour Minister Chalerm due to test the mechanism, in just 8 days' time ! rolleyes.gif

Hurry Up, chop chop ! laugh.png

Possibly.

Australia television news reporting up to 120,000 protestors spread across Bangkok. A drop in the ocean against the total Thai population and a complete failure for Suthep.

• Like 2

Maybe the rural voters -the serfs as you call them - do want to vote. but far too many of them are "obliged" to vote for PTP, because they are told they must do so having accepted around 500baht each from the village honchos. That is where the main problem lies.

If these rural people -those that show any interest in politics -were free to vote how they want to, then I suspect the result would be somewhat different, to what can be expected in February (with or without the Democrats)

Why should Suthep and his tens of thousands of demonstrators agree to fresh elections when without political reform including severe punishment for those that buy votes, the country will just get more of the same corrupt politicians, all run by a proxy prime minister, with the main force remaining in Dubai!

Yes I don't see anyone as serfs personally, but it is hard to not see the impoverished and excluded underclass as anything but. I would count myself as a serf too.

Re; their voting habits, I feel that people being paid to vote might well have voted red anyway, or voted along family / tribal loyalties, which happens all around the world by the way. In the North of England, your family might throw you out into the street if you didn't vote Labour in the old days. Regardless of how the people vote, or how many votes are bought, that is not the problem - it would be the problem if this were an A+ highly regulated society with low corruption (if such a thing existed) then we could all be outraged about votebuying.

The problem, and the solution, lies in Parliament. Party X gets the most votes, by popular support + votebuying + media spin etc.etc. But under a much needed and FAR stricter Parliamentary system, Party X does not command the debate floor, does not command policy flow, at an unbalanced high rate. That way, the rural voters can vote-in their Party X, and feel happy they are being represented, then the issues can be debated in Parliament without Party X hijacking the Parliamentary process with quite frankly criminal endeavours. Really the work required is huge, starting in Parliament and then using that to implement infrastructure policies that benefit everyone, not just voters of Party XYZ.

But compared to the possibility of civil war, multi-generational repercussions, economic implosion, the process of re-tooling the current Parliamentary process is miniscule.

• Like 1

The actions of the PM is nothing but typical soap-opera plot. Faces insurmountable problems in the city, runs away to the villages, greeted by peace-loving and welcoming villagers, joined by her son, loves the peace and tranquility of the place, sheds some tears, and stays on in the village forever. Typical soapy plot. YL should consider following it.

In another news... so major arteries, junctons and destinations are again besieged by the mob. Well at this this lot doesn't burn tyres and all. Sure, it's still a damned mess they will leave behind, but nothing like smoking tyres and burned-down shopping centres.

Makes me laugh when people focus on one photo and say that's not 100,000 without realising the protests were in many, many places.

The western media are then fed lies about how many are protesting by reducing a huge percentage off the total (no one knows for sure, but it was big) and then you get the red shirt/sheep on here who believe what they are told.

For all the red shirts here moaning at the reasons behind the protests, I have one question, if it was the Dems in power and they tried to bring in a bill that would whitewash themselves from the shootings in 2010 and any other corruption they've done and at the same time brought in a Pledging Scheme that with Isaan tax money benefited certain elite in BKK and made some people in the Dems very rich while putting the country's finances under huge strain and then lie and talk down to the people it was all done in the sake of "reconciliation and forgiveness" (yes Yingluck, we believe in Santa Claus too).

What would they red shirts have done? Nothing?

You need to educate yourself a little better. The Amnesty Bill would have whitewashed the Dems too.

• Like 1