American Expats: Taxes and US citizenship

I mistakenly said that my accountant completed a Form 8938 for my Thai interest and dividends last year. He did not, He just included them on the schedule B Form 1040. This clears up much of my confusion. There is no need to be concerned with Form 8938,unless I suddenly come into huge amounts of money here.

Still working on trying to download the FBAR document. Unsuccessfully of course. I just got the Adobe reader 11.0.10 version but the FBAR documnet still doesn't download.I'll have to try the computer at work.

Here you go...downloaded a few minutes ago.

NFFBAR (1).pdf

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great information and many thanks.

My accountant simply reports that I have foreign bank accounts and that seems to comply with all the FACTA rules. There is no additional tax liability as Thailand taxes the interest on its end. I think the US wants to avoid double taxation.

Based on what I have read, the Social Security five-year residency requirement applies only to non-US citizen spouses. Once a spouse becomes a US citizen (after 3 years married to a US citizen) the spouse is eligible to receive both spousal benefits and survivor benefits even if living in Thailand. That's my best understanding, but I plan to speak to a social security representative about my own benefit options (i.e. when to file) and will try to confirm the residency requirement as well.

The SSA guide seems to specify that the five-year rule only applies to non-citizens: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

I am concerned by the OP's statement that they are currently splitting their time between the US and Thailand and that he is trying to get her US Citizenship

I think that there are some requirements that she must stay in the US continuously to qualify for US Citizenship

Hopefully there will be some members here that can give you the exact requirements

streetlite the term aggregate means that the $10,000 figure is the total amount that you have in all Thai bank accounts that you have control over.

USCIS told me that any time my wife is out of the US for more than 6 months it doesn't count towards the 3 year (if married to a US citizen) or 5 year residency normal requirement to take the naturalization. More than that, the last time we came back to the US after a "6 months less 2 day" stay in Thailand an Immigration Officier gave us a bunch a crap about needing to have something they call "Advance Parole" which is similar to a Re-entry Permit if you have a Retirement Visa in Thailand. Sorry my reply is a little off the primary topic here, but hope it helps answer Langsuan Man's question.

Edited by Coyoti

• 10 months later...

Hi i just wanted to share my experience with 3 years worth of taxes. I used someone recommended by a financial guy here in Thailand for 2014. He recommended someone in America, I forgot the name of the company but the accountant was David. The process was grueling, I had to re-email 2 and 3 times and he never full explained anything. I ended up getting fined for late payment because he did not file the extension. The whole experience was grueling and painful.

I recently completed some back taxes with a different company. I found good reviews and a good rating on the BBB. The experience was extremely smooth! I got answers the next day each and every time to my emails, things were explained to me and their entire system was automated and easy to use. I normally don't promote companies but this was just such relief! The company is Taxes for Expats located in New York.

For 2015 I want to be totally ahead and through their online system I can at least get ahead start uploading information while I wait for final tax documents to be sent from banks and employers for 2015. 2015 will be tricky as I moved back during the year but I definitely will use this company again.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Hi i just wanted to share my experience with 3 years worth of taxes. I used someone recommended by a financial guy here in Thailand for 2014. He recommended someone in America, I forgot the name of the company but the accountant was David. The process was grueling, I had to re-email 2 and 3 times and he never full explained anything. I ended up getting fined for late payment because he did not file the extension. The whole experience was grueling and painful.

I recently completed some back taxes with a different company. I found good reviews and a good rating on the BBB. The experience was extremely smooth! I got answers the next day each and every time to my emails, things were explained to me and their entire system was automated and easy to use. I normally don't promote companies but this was just such relief! The company is Taxes for Expats located in New York.

For 2015 I want to be totally ahead and through their online system I can at least get ahead start uploading information while I wait for final tax documents to be sent from banks and employers for 2015. 2015 will be tricky as I moved back during the year but I definitely will use this company again.

Just wanted to share my experience.

How much did it cost with the NY company?